• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since we’re on the topic of Square-Enix, are there any characters from them outside of Final Fantasy that you’d like to see? My most wanted is Magus from Chrono Trigger followed by H’aanit from Octopath Traveller. I think both characters are really cool and would offer very unique gameplay. Magus would be our only scythe user in Smash and one of few mages. H’aanit would be our first huntress and beast tamer (unless you count Pokemon Trainer but that’s a bit different). We do have a few archers but all of them are limited to just one move where that is H’aanit’s primary weapon.

Here’s a few of my favorite songs from each game (mild spoilers for Octopath because the only way the songs can be uploaded is with gameplay)

Chrono Trigger

Octopath Traveller
[/spolier]

Heres a topic I made a while back going over my ideas for how Magus could play and what else he could bring if he did get in if anyone is interested in hearing more:

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Since we’re on the topic of Square-Enix, are there any characters from them outside of Final Fantasy that you’d like to see?
GamesIndex_GameListing_Artwork.jpg

Would never happen but Rico Rodriguez himself from the Just Cause series, he would play as more of a fairly heavy zoner but has good movement options as well.

His moveset would mostly be using weapons, punches and kicks, gadgets, and the infamous grappling hook.
(Tether recovery as well)

Final Smash would either be these:
  • Eden Spark (A weapon that harnesses lightning from the sky and uses it to destroy targets)
  • A giant nuclear/ballistic missile coming down
  • Grappling some objects off stage and crushing everyone
  • Using the Mech from Just Cause 3's Land DLC

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since we’re on the topic of Square-Enix, are there any characters from them outside of Final Fantasy that you’d like to see? My most wanted is Magus from Chrono Trigger followed by H’aanit from Octopath Traveller. I think both characters are really cool and would offer very unique gameplay. Magus would be our only scythe user in Smash and one of few mages. H’aanit would be our first huntress and beast tamer (unless you count Pokemon Trainer but that’s a bit different). We do have a few archers but all of them are limited to just one move where that is H’aanit’s primary weapon.

Here’s a few of my favorite songs from each game (mild spoilers for Octopath because the only way the songs can be uploaded is with gameplay)

Octopath Traveller

[/spolier]
Geno - I've wanted him in Smash for quite a while (since Melee at least, though back then, I wasn't aware that he was owned by Square-Enix), and it feels like Smash could do a better job with acknowledging Mario spin-offs. (then again, Nintendo has a tough enough time with putting characters that they fully own like Fawful or any of the Paper Mario cast in something like Mario Kart) The Mario RPG remake seems to have done pretty well (it outsold the original game by at least a million copies from what I've seen), which seems like it would help to motivate Nintendo and/or Square-Enix.

Plus, I can't imagine people would say no to more Yoko Shimomura music:
I could keep going, but I'd wind up posting the entire soundtrack.

2B - this kind of feels like a "Sakurai" pick, like Joker or Terry, for the lack of a better phrase - a relatively lesser-known franchise with a ton of passion behind it. I could see Nier Automata being a dark horse candidate, especially since Yoko Taro seems willing/eager to include 2B in pretty much anything if people ask. (in fighting games alone, she's been in Soul Calibur 6 and GranBlue Fantasy Versus, even though those are medieval and/or fantasy games (as far as I can tell - I haven't looked too deeply into GranBlue) while 2B is from a futuristic sci-fi game. Nier Automata was a huge success for both Yoko Taro and Platinum (from what I've read, it helped to save Platinum Games from financial troubles), and as seen with Bayonetta (and 2B's other fighting game appearances), action game characters seem like a natural fit for fighting games. The atmospheric post-apocalyptic setting gives lots of potential stage options, and the music, once again, is a highlight.

Crono - Chrono Trigger's amazing, and I'd love to see a Final Smash where all of Crono's party members show up to hit the opponent with various spells/attacks/double or triple techs, ending with Crono casting Luminaire.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
1709649496494.png
Make a 20 Character Zelda Smash/Fighter roster with almost no personal bias:
1709649624165.png

The Two most Iconic Links, A Zelda filling the classic adult role not repped by link, Sheik for the smash fans, impa, all sages and ganondorf for the rep from the most popular zeldas, tingle duh.
One Rep per "Classic 3d" Zelda
And 4 Of Ganons most popular and reacuring monsters!

Give me THIS EXACT Roster and ill be satisfied!
Just make this game Please Nintendo!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
View attachment 385975Make a 20 Character Zelda Smash/Fighter roster with almost no personal bias:
View attachment 385976
The Two most Iconic Links, A Zelda filling the classic adult role not repped by link, Sheik for the smash fans, impa, all sages and ganondorf for the rep from the most popular zeldas, tingle duh.

Link
Toon Link
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Ganon
Impa
Medli
Girahim
Demise
Zant
Midna/Wolf Link
Mipha
Urbosa
Darunia
Rauru
Vaati
Tingle
Skull Kid
Lana

Last edited:

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 385975Make a 20 Character Zelda Smash/Fighter roster with almost no personal bias:
View attachment 385976

Why would they ever do this when Smash itself already exists and has Zelda characters in it?

I mean the roster is fine, if pretty standard, and some of these characters I would like to see in Smash, but I don't see the point of an exclusive Zelda Smash spinoff. Making a whole new game just so C-list characters of a specific series can exist in the Smash Bros engine seems pretty extra.

Also, as much as I'd like some "no-chance" characters from my favorite series, I don't know where the fun would be in speculating about characters' chances if anyone and everyone can make it in. Like if there was a Mario one I'm sure characters like Birdo and Waluigi would be in so at that point...

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Chrono Trigger

Octopath Traveller
[/spolier]

Heres a topic I made a while back going over my ideas for how Magus could play and what else he could bring if he did get in if anyone is interested in hearing more:

I've talked my head off about Taito already so I shall refrain and instead talk about how I'd enjoy seeing some of these cult 90s second-tier RPG series' they have get some characters. SaGa, Mana, Live A Live etc have some pretty great character designs

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Chrono Trigger

Octopath Traveller
[/spolier]

Neku would probably be my top pick. although i wouldn't say no to someone like Tiz from bravely default

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Why would they ever do this when Smash itself already exists and has Zelda characters in it?

I mean the roster is fine, if pretty standard, and some of these characters I would like to see in Smash, but I don't see the point of an exclusive Zelda Smash spinoff. Making a whole new game just so C-list characters of a specific series can exist in the Smash Bros engine seems pretty extra.

Also, as much as I'd like some "no-chance" characters from my favorite series, I don't know where the fun would be in speculating about characters' chances if anyone and everyone can make it in. Like if there was a Mario one I'm sure characters like Birdo and Waluigi would be in so at that point...
People super desperate to see the extended Zelda cast be playable in a platform fighter because Sakurai won't do it in the main Smash game lol

FazDude

Smash Master

Chrono Trigger

Octopath Traveller
[/spolier]

This might be because I'm not a big RPG guy, but my most wanted from SE/Taito are the Space Invaders. They're among gaming's most iconic characters, and there's actually a lot you could do with them when you factor in elements from spinoff titles like Extreme and Get Even.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Tonight is the night, boys. I'm predicting it's either Princess Peach's Showtime, Sonic Frontiers, or Rareware/Rare spirits.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Fire Emblem Engage is missing from this Spirit event, does this mean we are getting Alear in the Next game?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

Chrono Trigger

Octopath Traveller
[/spolier]

Even though I never played Chrono Trigger, I'd like to see Crono in Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Even though I never played Chrono Trigger, I'd like to see Crono in Smash.
I don’t know whether you play any JRPGs at all but if you like any, especially old school SNES era games, I’d highly recommend it. You can get through the story in about 25 hours so it’s relatively short for an RPG and it’s one of my all time favorite games.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sephiroth didn't get in because he's from FF7, he got in because he's super iconic in his own right. Someone like Tifa pales in comparison.
I mean, that's just a ludicrous statement. Tifa is probably the 3rd most iconic FF character, and one of the most recognizable female video game characters in the world.

I do feel like you might be underestimating Tifa’s popularity a bit but I think you’re right that we don’t really need a third FFVII character.
We definitely don't. But it's not about what we need. It's about who SE and Nintendo want to push.

Black Mage would be a cool non-FF7 Final Fantasy character
Or at least a good Mii Mage costume.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don’t know whether you play any JRPGs at all but if you like any, especially old school SNES era games, I’d highly recommend it. You can get through the story in about 25 hours so it’s relatively short for an RPG and it’s one of my all time favorite games.
I have played some RPGs (FFVII, Super Mario RPG, Xenogears) but overall, I'm not a fan of the genre, so I haven't played that much.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's not a ludicrous statement. I didn't say Tifa isn't iconic, I simply said she's less so than Sephiroth. Which is true.
I think it was the “pales in comparison” wording. It implies that she’s significantly less popular, which I don’t think is quite the case. I feel like their popularity is fairly comparable even if Tifa isn’t quite at Sephiroth’s level.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Since we’re on the topic of Square-Enix, are there any characters from them outside of Final Fantasy that you’d like to see?
To be honest, I don't have that much attachment to Square Enix compared to the likes of Sega or Capcom so I'm usually in sort of a "go with the flow" mood when it comes to picks from the company. But I'd be glad to see some Chrono Trigger content or maybe something from Taito in a supplemental role. Would really like to see a Space Invaders AT or boss battle at this point. And moreso want it for a friend of mine, but TWEWY / Neku would be a really dynamic presence, that game has such a distinctive style and I wonder how that would translate over into Smash.

I also figure they might own some chunk of Mischief Makers since Enix published the JP release for Treasure, so yet again Marina Liteyears is a dream pick.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If Fire Emblem Engage is missing from this Spirit event, does this mean we are getting Alear in the Next game?
If Mario Wonder is missing from this Spirit Event, does that mean we are getting Elephant Mario next game?
Seriously though, it'll be super weird if Wonder ISN'T in tonight's spirit event. It's THE Mario game currently.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t think the spirits in this game have any impact on what characters are chosen in the next game. Unfortunately, that won’t stop me from hyping myself up with unrealistic expectations if we get a Killer Instinct or Battletoads spirit.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Jokes aside, I hope people aren't reading too hard into these spirits one way or the other. But I do think it may be at least a little bit valuable just to acknowledge "these are the recent titles they thought were important" and "those are some of the companies they're still talking with". Konami getting a new spirit is probably a good omen for negotiations to persist in some fashion for example, particularly if we're in the early stages of planning as we speak.

So spirits aren't disconfirming or confirming the likes of Shiver, Mio, Oatchi and Rauru but those may be a few series to keep an eye on regardless. Moreso continues to shed light on which series have gone through notable growth or introduced brand new characters.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Plot twist: the Spirit Boards are foreshadowing the newcomers in the next game :4pacman:
Hmm Pokemon rep, Xenoblade 3, Pikmin 4, Tears of the Kingdom, Splatoon 3, 13 Sentinels, Power Pro Baseball, and Hades with more potential? They all COULD work as newcomers honestly lol.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Jokes aside, I hope people aren't reading too hard into these spirits one way or the other. But I do think it may be at least a little bit valuable just to acknowledge "these are the recent titles they thought were important" and "those are some of the companies they're still talking with". Konami getting a new spirit is probably a good omen for negotiations to persist in some fashion for example, particularly if we're in the early stages of planning as we speak.

So spirits aren't disconfirming or confirming the likes of Shiver, Mio, Oatchi and Rauru but those may be a few series to keep an eye on regardless. Moreso continues to shed light on which series have gone through notable growth or introduced brand new characters.
You think we could get a spirit for Contra: Operation Galuga? I don’t really have a ton of interest in spirits one way or the other but it would be nice to see Contra get at least some kind of content in Smash. Apologies if Contra already has something, I haven’t really been keeping up with the spirit events.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
While I do think it means nothing for the next Smash game, but considering it is the last event before closing the doors on what's probably his Magnum Opus, I think Sakurai will definitely make the last Spirit Event special. Mario Wonder seems fitting since ending with Mario feels like the right thing (and matches Mario Day this Sunday), and he can still use FE Engage and Kirby and the Forgotten Land to fill it up, but I would love to see some of the big 3rd Party series that didn't make it to Ultimate, like Puyo Puyo, Ace Attorney, or non-FF7 Final Fantasy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You think we could get a spirit for Contra: Operation Galuga? I don’t really have a ton of interest in spirits one way or the other but it would be nice to see Contra get at least some kind of content in Smash. Apologies if Contra already has something, I haven’t really been keeping up with the spirit events.
I suppose it's possible, to my surprise it does seem like that game is actually getting a Japanese release since I saw the Nintendo JP twitter promote it. It's really tough to pin down where we could go next with how sporadic the second wave was, so a random Contra spirit is easily on the table just as well as any other random third party property.

I have no clue what I expect or really want from this last wave. Obviously I'd like one final nod to a couple series that I wanted to be acknowledged in the game in some fashion, like Puyo Puyo, but I'm also hoping there's some special event involving Smash history in some significant way. I don't know what that would be, maybe spirits of the actual games where you fight all the veterans who debuted in those titles so they'd almost be operating as some sort of side mode or comparable to an Event Match.

Or I dunno, maybe we finally get an Undertale spirit or something lol. Always thought it was odd we didn't have that since we got the Cuphead ones.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To be honest, if Taito wasn’t owned by Square I’d be a lot more confident in it getting something more significant. As is I feel like it gets snubbed in favor of more prominent Square Enix series, and will be fortunate to get an Assist Trophy or something. Really that’s kinda all it needs since its characters are on the simple side but Bub / Bob would have been fun, and some music would be appreciated.

Detached from SE they would feel more comparable to someone like SNK, I think. On that note I wonder which other companies in that vein may have a shot next time around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom