• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
'The greatest achievement in video games' doesn't need novelty.

When a world-record holder breaks their own record, nobody is like "Hum...that's not very original."
My only sticking point is that I’d want some other meaningful content beyond what could have been in a $30 Fighter’s Pass to justify a full priced game. If we at least got an ambitious adventure mode like Subspace Emissary again, I think that would be enough for me to be happy with a small number of newcomers. Other returning modes like Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish, and Smash Run could really help Ultimate truly live up to its name. Bringing back the rest of the stages missing from Ultimate would help too.

“Ultimate with 6 new characters” would heavily depend on who those characters would be for me. If I don’t absolutely love any of them I feel like I might just stick with Ultimate due to the huge amounts of mods the game has. If the new game is easier to make great mods for and it catches up relatively with Ultimate in that, I’d definitely make the upgrade at that point.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Also, I think the Dog and Duck should act meaner to one another. I've heard them described as "acting like a Pixar duo" when in their home game there isn't really anything to suggest that (he grabs fallen ducks by the neck for crying out loud). They should still be working together, but because they have to, not because they want to. I want more slapstick out of them.
I like this idea too, although this kind of Mike and Sulley dynamic is moreso what Banjo and Kazooie have going on if anything. I'd still be down to see them explore it further with Duck Hunt but they should probably tread carefully as not to overlap too hard with the other mammal / avian duo relationship. If anything maybe the Dog should be meaner, and the Duck should TOTALLY be in on it and relish in his attitude.

I guess we could even argue that this has been exercised a bit in the Banjo trailer, actually. I like that they allowed them to be a bit of a troll there, just for the hell of it. Mind you, the intro animation and victory pose harken back to the classic animation too. I'm a bit torn on how the original sound effect isn't used, but I think the Muttley laugh is an inspired choice as well. There's probably room for both.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Looking at the franchises I expect or want a new character from. I'll compile a newcomer list afterwards

:ultmario:-Look, there's always gonna be potential Mario characters. Most eyes are on Waluigi, my eyes on Pauline, but honestly, Mario is in a really good spot. So I wouldn't mind it skipping an entry. Wouldn't be the first time. Brawl only had Wario if you count him, and Ultimate only had an echo fighter and Piranha Plant, who isn't exactly a conventional character. I don't think a Mario character is a necessary guarantee in every entry
:ultdk:-Dixie Kong. As mentioned earlier, Donkey Kong won't really feel complete without her. I think she has strong chance and should probably be playable. I could see her being an Isabelle esque clone, or totally unique. Honestly, if there's room, an argument could be made Funky too, and I think he'd be a prime echo fighter. But don't see him in otherwise
:ultzelda:-Hooboy. Look, I think we're long overdue for another Zelda character. I can make a very strong argument that it will be Skull Kid, but I recognise he's my most wanted so I'm bias. Impa has some name recognition but she faces a lot of issues of being incredibly inconsistent with her most recurring role being a stumpy old lady. Zelda has a host of issues but I think they're gonna pull the plug and add someone (and it'll be Skull Kid)
:ultsamus:-Honestly, Metroid is kinda perfect. No notes. Raven Beak would be cool but unnecessary. I think Metroid should and will be skipped
:ultyoshi:-An argument could be made for Kamek or Poochy. But I don't really see either as necessary. Kamek would be cool though.
:ultkirby:-BANDANA DEE. If there's room, Magolor. But Bandana Dee perfectly rounds off the Kirby cast. Let Kirby have his sidekick.
:ultfox:-We're way past adding another Star Fox character honestly. The three it has suits it well.
:ultpikachu:- ok let's be honest. Pokémon is ALWAYS gonna get a newcomer. I think it's the only franchise where this a guarantee. We might even see a tease of the next Pokémon character during Pokémon day.
:ultness:-Nope
:ultfalcon:-Double nope. And no, I'm not gonna entertain the idea of Black Shadow.
:ultmarth:- So this might be a hot take, but I don't think we're getting Alear. Engage was hardly heavily marketed by Nintendo and what was marketed was Marth. And he's already in the game. So I don't think we'll get another Fire Emblem character. Unless we get another Fire Emblem, but at this point, they may be DLC. (Again)
:ultgnw:-any character who's franchise falls under "Other" ain't getting another character
:ultwario:- uhh.... Actually this is an interesting one. Remind me to bring this up separately later. WarioWare has had two new brand new games on Switch, and some the characters have some strong support bases, especially Ashley. I would sooner think it's not happening, but I can't ignore it.
:ultpit:- This franchise is super dormant right now, we might not even get Palutena or Dark Pit back (Palutena will probably stay, but she's not safe)
:ultolimar:-Pikmin 4 was a bit release and Oatchi seems to be gaining more support. Honestly, if Oatchi gets in, I see him more as a Piranha Plant esque role, so maybe as a bonus fighter. The other captains only have a shot as an echo.
:ultsnake:-No. Maybe in the past when Metal Gear Rising was at it's peak, we'd get Raiden but right now. No
:ultsonic:-Probably the third party franchise worth keeping an eye on the most. Shadow I think is a very strong candidate for an echo fighter. Second unique fighter is an uphill battle but I think Tails has a good shot making the climb (and maybe Eggman, but I sooner expect a boss from him)
:ultmegaman:-Again, a second unique character from Third Party franchises feels unlikely, our only one is Sephiroth. And it's hard to be on Sephiroths level. But. I wouldn't dismiss Zero. He's a very popular character and feels like he has a stronger chance than most. Oh I guess Protoman echo? There doesn't seem to be much push for a Mega Echo.
:ultisabelle:-Obviously the franchise is bigger than ever. But Animal Crossing doesn't lend itself to a lot of characters. Tom Nook could probably be an echo of someone though, just so there's something new to play with. Or maybe he has a bell gimmick?
:ultwiifittrainer:-no
:ultlittlemac:-no
:ultpacman:-Too many rights issues for a Ms. Pac-Man echo so no
:ultshulk:-Hmm. I think a Xenoblade 3 character is likely. Not necessarily guaranteed though just because implementing them may be complicated. That's not a dismissal though and I could see ways to make it work.
:ultryu:-If any character could do what Sephiroth did. It's Chun-Li. I could definitely see it.
:ultcloud:-I do personally think Sephiroth being DLC had something to do with Cloud being based game. Hard to say but if Sakurai wants both of the base game, we could see another, or maybe Sephiroth is DLC again, maybe both of them, or maybe both are cut and not coming back. Regardless, I'm learning towards no.
:ultbayonetta:-I'd love Jeanne as an echo and Rodin as a character. But I don't think Bayonetta has quite that pull. Despite the release of two Bayonetta games, the franchise doesn't seem like it's in a healthy spot.
:ultinkling:-Splatoon is almost certainly getting something, the question is what. The franchise is huge and eyes are on the Octolings. But I could see Sakurai/Nintendo wanting to throw in the Squid Sisters too
:ultsimon:-Alucard felt like someone Sakurai wanted to add, so he has that going for him. But I'm learning towards no
:ultjoker:-I'm not seeing it. I just don't think Persona has that pull
:ulthero3:-Definitely not. Hero is already multiple Dragon Quest characters in one. There's just no need. No, not Slime.
:ultbanjokazooie:-I love the cast of Banjo. But there's just no chance. It's a miracle he's in at all.
:ult_terry:-I don't know this franchise very well. But I don't think any of the other characters have a legacy that comes even close to Terry to be worth adding.
:ultminmin-We need ARMS 2 before we start discussing this. But Min Min already does what all ARMS characters would do and more. (By more, I mean having kicks to fill out the rest of the moveset)
:ultsteve:-Literally Who? You couldn't even resort to a mob as we got Zombie and Enderman as alts. Creeper will probs be an assist trophy though
:ultkazuya:-I guess maybe a Jin echo or Heihachi? Sakurai does seem passionate about Tekken but I feel he's also satisfied too. There's not really the demand for more Tekken
:ultsora:-Firstly, Sora needs to come back. That's far from guaranteed. I don't really see anyone joining Sora due to how complicated everything is there any no one else really has that far reaching pull like Sephiroth. Heck, Sephiroth (and Cloud) already fill out some of that Kingdom Hearts cast (which was even highlighted in Sora's reveal)
:ultmario:- Captain Toad/Toadette, or Waluigi
:ultdk:- Dixie Kong (echo?)
:ultzelda:- Impa (echo?)
:ultsamus:- Fine
:ultyoshi:- Fine
:ultkirby:- Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultfox:- Fine
:ultpikachu:- Obligatory new character
:ultness:- Ninten echo
:ultfalcon:- Black Shadow echo
:ultmarth:- Fine
:ultgnw:- Fine
:ultwario:- Fine
:ultpit:- Fine
:ultolimar:- Fine
:ultsnake:- Liquid Snake echo, or Raiden
:ultsonic:- Shadow echo
:ultmegaman:- Bass echo, or Zero
:ultisabelle:- Fine
:ultwiifittrainer:- Fine
:ultlittlemac:- King Hippo
:ultpacman:- Ms. Pac-Man echo/alt
:ultshulk:- Fine
:ultryu:- Bison or Chun Li
:ultcloud:- Probably fine, but any non-FF7 character would be welcome
:ultbayonetta:- Jeanne echo
:ultinkling:- Octoling echo
:ultsimon:- Alucard
:ultjoker:- Fine
:ulthero3:- Fine
:ultbanjokazooie:- Fine
:ult_terry:- Fine
:ultminmin- Fine
:ultsteve:- Fine
:ultkazuya:- Fine
:ultsora:- Roxas echo

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Tom Nook*
If I may, I really don't think Tom Nook would be an echo fighter for the same reasons Isabelle wasn't an echo fighter for Villager. These three characters have distinct body types and facial rigs, to start. Nook is a round fella, he's on the portly side and he would certainly move with a bit more of a posh demeanor. Probably a completely different weight class. He also makes a bit less sense to utilize playful stuff like the slingshot, the balloon recoveries are respectively suited to Villager and Isabelle's personalities... seeing how much Isabelle's distinct identity was taken into account and cited as a reason for her being unique, I suspect the same would be done here.

There's more than enough to work with if Sakurai chose to take it. There's the bell gimmick that I and a few others have brought up before, utilizing / dropping furniture items, leaning hard into his tanooki roots to use tail attacks and make cheeky Mario 3 references. I'd wager Tom Nook actually has more concrete potential than even Villager and Isabelle did on their own, and more specific to his character given his unique design traits and role as a shopkeep / managing money in general. If Villager and Isabelle are Fox and Falco respectively, then Tom Nook is definitely Wolf.

I also think Animal Crossing and Splatoon are just such big deals right now that dishing them each a simple echo would be a bit of an undersell, which is how I felt about Isabelle during Ultimate speculation as well. So I'm definitely counting on something a little more substantial for them both, series edging on Zelda levels of current prominence and serving as new casual crowd-pleasers. Squid Sisters are a good call, I've been leaning more toward Off the Hook personally.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want to see a Smash advertise on its box or something 100+ fighters! Thats why I want no cuts for the game after Ultimate, its the quickest way to see that. Also my most wanted Shantae to be in a roster of Ultimate's plus extra so I can say she can fight everyone in Smash.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Re: 100 fighters

I feel like if Ultimate had a few more base game newcomers (including Echoes) and more DLC, it cold reach that number. Heck, one of the reasons that Ultimate Deluxe was such a dream of mine was for the sake of 11 more newcomers (8 unique, 3 Echoes). But alas, I've come to accept that the next game will definitely be seeing significantly less fighters overall.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I rather dislike the notion that the dog and duck should be "meaner" to one another.

The current characterization heavily leans into the fact that Duck Hunt is just a game for the player....the third component to the team that is constantly overlooked, even right now.
The ducks aren't getting hurt in Duck Hunt when they're "shot down" or lifted up by the dog. They're just fine if not just mildly annoyed that the player got them; it's all staged for entertainment with the dog and the ducks being actors playing a role.

And their trailer emphasizes this with the dog and the duck being taken right out of their game to participate in Smash. They are working with the player as combatants this time rather than setting up a game of target shooting.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
The current characterization heavily leans into the fact that Duck Hunt is just a game for the player....the third component to the team that is constantly overlooked, even right now.
Fair points. I do think the third member should be made more prominent, like you're saying here. Duck Hunt's Smash attacks probably have the weakest animation readability among the whole cast's Smash attacks. Either the reticle should be present during the charge animation, or the charge animation should be changed so that it looks like the dog is going to leap forward and attack but gets interrupted by the zapper at the last second.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ll go with a personal wish list more than a prediction here but here’s what I’d love to see for some additional characters for existing franchises:

:ultmario: Goomba or Goombella
:ultluigi: King Boo
:ultdk: Dixie
:ultyoshi: Kamek
:ultwario: Ashley
:ultlink: Impa (Hyrule Warriors)
:ultpikachu: Gengar
:ultkirby: Bugzzy
:ultfox: Krystal
:ultshulk: Nia or Noah/Mio (Ouroboros)
:ultsamus: EMMI or Raven Beak
:ultmarth: The Black Knight or Tharja
:ultinkling: Octoling
:ultvillager: Ankha
:ultolimar: Bulborb
:ultpit: Medusa
:ultness: Giygas
:ultfalcon: Black Shadow
:ultlittlemac:King Hippo
:ultminmin Kid Cobra
:ultwiifittrainer: None
:ultrob: None
:ultduckhunt: None
:ultgnw: None
:ulticeclimbers: None
:ultsonic: Knuckles
:ultsnake: Raiden
:ultmegaman: Zero
:ultcloud: Princess Garnet
:ultryu: Guile or Vega
:ultbayonetta: Jeanne
:ultsimon: Alucard
:ultjoker: Mitsuru, Kanji, or Makoto
:ulthero: Psaro
:ultbanjokazooie: Gruntilda
:ultsteve: None
:ultkazuya:Jin Kazama
:ult_terry: Geese Howard
:ultsora: Xemnas

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'll do this series newcomer assessment thing too, for kicks.

:ultmario:
:ultmario: - It's guaranteed, right? There hasn't been a single game that hasn't introduced a couple new characters for the greater Marioverse, and for good reason. These are characters that anyone will recognize and gravitate toward, so it's important to keep a healthy flow of them coming. One is guaranteed, two is likely. I think Waluigi is gonna happen at least.

:ultdk: - While I'm not seeing it, Dixie Kong is obviously justified. I can see her being a later, lighter workload addition like Toon Link or Wolf but given DKC has been on a bit of a break I'm not especially sold on her odds.

:ultlink: - Zelda has seen its most substantial growth in years, so it's probably high time to give it something new. I'm still torn on what exactly that will be. There's a well of classic characters from previous titles, a recurring face in Impa and new characters from the last couple games to consider. I'd be more inclined toward someone like Skull Kid or Midna with persisting popularity, but I don't know... that doesn't really acknowledge the growth brought out by BOTW and TOTK.

:ultsamus: - Perfectly represented, even if it was just Samus and Ridley I'd be happy. Would be nice for Dark Samus to stick around, maybe get decloned, but we'll see how they choose to handle echoes. Raven Beak (or EMMI!) is dope but if this routine never worked out for Zelda and Kirby I don't buy that Metroid will suddenly be the one to bring in some one-shot antagonist. We're good on this one.

:ultkirby: - It's possible. Bandana Dee has always been a tough sell for me, NOT because I don't want him playable but because I'm worried we've reached a bit of a "Toad" situation where Sakurai is just wholly not interested. But in all fairness to Dee, Forgotten Land was a big step forward. That's the first time he's been designated as a clear P2 in a mainline game, and it was a major success for the series. Perhaps this will be his big break, but I'm not sure yet.

:ultpikachu: - Duh. The only question is who will be the new hotness, and how many characters we'll get. I could see two new Pokemon added under the right circumstances.

:ultmarth: - This doesn't really need to happen this time. Yeah, I know. I just recognize Three Houses was the last major success this series had, and we still haven't left the Switch era. We got Engage, but it hardly made the same kind of splash. The future of the series is unknown, perhaps we'll get that remake, but I'm not sure if Smash will cater to a remake the same way as a brand new entry. I do think, however, that Lyn has a pretty good chance in this current downtime if they want to add someone from FE who is evergreen and organically popular.

:ultwario: - It's possible. They've been treating Warioware with a bit more significance lately, and there's a great well of colorful characters to pull from. I'm not totally convinced they'll take this plunge, I feel like Ashley missed the boat a little bit, but I'd be glad if they did.

:ultolimar: - Another series that has seen a lot of growth through the Switch era, a bit more moderately but Pikmin has worked its way up to a staple of the Nintendo brand. Pikmin 4 introduced Oatchi, I think his odds are solid, but Smash kinda prioritizes the Pikmin over their commander and as such I wonder if Olimar (and potentially the Rookie as an alt) will be serviceable to represent what they want to represent. I could see it going either way.

:ultisabelle: - It's gonna happen, straight up. My point about Mario being a wide spanning crowd-pleaser works here too, Animal Crossing characters are gonna be common pickups for casual friends who were just fully engrossed with New Horizons. I would genuinely be shocked if Tom Nook isn't one of the first characters on Sakurai's conscience, it's so obvious. These recognizable faces are essential to balance out all the more targeted Smash fan picks.

:ultshulk: - I don't knowwww... Noah / Mio are obvious picks but I'm kinda thinking they're gonna be one of those instances of something that seems really obvious in the moment, but misses the boat due to inopportune timing or something. We just got Pyra and Mythra who admittedly I'm still convinced have created a bit more of a splash longterm. I think I'm just very hesitant to jump on board and immediately call Xenoblade another Pokemon / Fire Emblem, that is not a guarantee. Kind of a gut feeling right now.

:ultinkling: - We're obviously seeing Octoling in some capacity, and I think we'll see more than that too. Octoling will probably end up fairly derivative, and Splatoon has a wealthy of great characters built up over its near decade of existence now. I hope this becomes more understood with time, because as much as I want classic long running Nintendo series to get love I think it's top priority to bring these big contemporary series up to speed. I'm between DJ Octavio and one of the idol groups on this one, leaning toward the latter since they're generally more popular.

:ultyoshi::ultfox::ultness::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultpit::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultminmin - Nothing interesting to say here, just unlikely for any number of reasons.

:ultsonic:
:ultsnake::ultpacman::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve: - Unlikely, in third party form.

:ultsonic: - I think it's about that time. Sonic has been here for three games now, he's not going anywhere and frankly the series is in a better spot right now than it's been in a very long time. Now is the point where I really see them reaching deeper into the well of third party series that we already have on hand, and Sonic is absolutely getting near first dibs on that. Who would it be? I skew more toward believing in Sonic's classic friends, Tails / Knuckles, but I recognize the major push for Shadow too. I don't think Dr. Eggman is happening, at least not before one of them - he's likely to be a boss.

:ultmegaman: - Not the most likely to get something new IMO, but it's possible. Mega Man is treated with a lot of love in Smash and Zero would be a great addition. I don't think the series' relative inactivity would influence this much either, MM gets by through reverence for his classic titles anyway. I'm not putting much stock in it but I wouldn't be completely shocked if we saw Zero get added.

:ultryu: - In my opinion, the single most likely third party to get an additional character. Chun-Li, dude. She's straight up one of the most popular characters absent from the roster as a whole, is a pop culture icon and the first lady of fighting games. When talking sheer crossover appeal, it'd be hard not to argue against the significance of her inclusion. I just really see this happening.

:ultcloud: - Man, who knows LOL. I don't want to count this out because there's a lot of potential here, and it does kinda hinge on whatever they choose to do with Cloud and Sephiroth. If they're both base roster, maybe we get something new later. If it's just Cloud, maybe we just get Sephiroth as DLC. If neither of them are, they're reselling us those ****s as a bundle. Still, Tifa is not a bad option and beyond FF7 I think Terra or Kefka are captivating choices too.

:ultbayonetta1: - Jeanne, I guess. Not sure how much I see it happening but got a pretty obvious echo fighter there. And Viola maybe?

:ultsimon: - A step down from Sonic and Street Fighter IMO, but Alucard has the perk of having already been considered by Sakurai. I could see them adding him if that concept was especially compelling to him, and he's a popular and significant character in his own right.

:ult_terry: - Wildcard. SNK was obviously very easy to work with and Sakurai loves them. Whether it's another FF / KOF character or someone from another SNK series, I think this is something to keep in mind but not to put that much stock in yet. First we have to see Terry return at all, and then if he does I would absolutely love them to add a Metal Slug character.

:ultkazuya: :ultsora: - Lumping these two together because my hypothesis is similar. If they're on the base roster, then they'll remain solo. If they need to upsell us on buying them as DLC again, I can see them including an additional character to sweeten the pot. Kazuya + Jin or Sora + Roxas / Riku. Just so they don't have to feel so guilty about making us pay for these guys twice in a row... this is more likely to happen with Sora, I'm not totally locked in on Kazuya returning right away but I think they do want to bring Sora back 100% and might just be forced to sell him again. Yknow, just less forseeable obstacles for Kazuya.

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
These are not my personal predictions, but rather general series newcomers who you might want to look out for next game.
:ultmario: - Waluigi, Geno, Paper Mario
:ultlink: - Impa, Ganondorf (TOTK)
:ultsamus: - Raven Beak
:ultkirby: - Bandana Dee
:ultpikachu: - Meowscarda, Gen 10 Pokémon Starters
:ultmarth: - Alear
:ultvillager: - Tom Nook
:ultshulk: - Noah, Mio, Rex
:ultinkling: - Octoling
:ultsonic: - Tails, Shadow, Dr. Eggman
:ultryu: - Chun-Li

chinkuru

Smash Cadet
Looking at the franchises I expect or want a new character from. I'll compile a newcomer list afterwards

:ultmario:-Look, there's always gonna be potential Mario characters. Most eyes are on Waluigi, my eyes on Pauline, but honestly, Mario is in a really good spot. So I wouldn't mind it skipping an entry. Wouldn't be the first time. Brawl only had Wario if you count him, and Ultimate only had an echo fighter and Piranha Plant, who isn't exactly a conventional character. I don't think a Mario character is a necessary guarantee in every entry
:ultdk:-Dixie Kong. As mentioned earlier, Donkey Kong won't really feel complete without her. I think she has strong chance and should probably be playable. I could see her being an Isabelle esque clone, or totally unique. Honestly, if there's room, an argument could be made Funky too, and I think he'd be a prime echo fighter. But don't see him in otherwise
:ultzelda:-Hooboy. Look, I think we're long overdue for another Zelda character. I can make a very strong argument that it will be Skull Kid, but I recognise he's my most wanted so I'm bias. Impa has some name recognition but she faces a lot of issues of being incredibly inconsistent with her most recurring role being a stumpy old lady. Zelda has a host of issues but I think they're gonna pull the plug and add someone (and it'll be Skull Kid)
:ultsamus:-Honestly, Metroid is kinda perfect. No notes. Raven Beak would be cool but unnecessary. I think Metroid should and will be skipped
:ultyoshi:-An argument could be made for Kamek or Poochy. But I don't really see either as necessary. Kamek would be cool though.
:ultkirby:-BANDANA DEE. If there's room, Magolor. But Bandana Dee perfectly rounds off the Kirby cast. Let Kirby have his sidekick.
:ultfox:-We're way past adding another Star Fox character honestly. The three it has suits it well.
:ultpikachu:- ok let's be honest. Pokémon is ALWAYS gonna get a newcomer. I think it's the only franchise where this a guarantee. We might even see a tease of the next Pokémon character during Pokémon day.
:ultness:-Nope
:ultfalcon:-Double nope. And no, I'm not gonna entertain the idea of Black Shadow.
:ultmarth:- So this might be a hot take, but I don't think we're getting Alear. Engage was hardly heavily marketed by Nintendo and what was marketed was Marth. And he's already in the game. So I don't think we'll get another Fire Emblem character. Unless we get another Fire Emblem, but at this point, they may be DLC. (Again)
:ultgnw:-any character who's franchise falls under "Other" ain't getting another character
:ultwario:- uhh.... Actually this is an interesting one. Remind me to bring this up separately later. WarioWare has had two new brand new games on Switch, and some the characters have some strong support bases, especially Ashley. I would sooner think it's not happening, but I can't ignore it.
:ultpit:- This franchise is super dormant right now, we might not even get Palutena or Dark Pit back (Palutena will probably stay, but she's not safe)
:ultolimar:-Pikmin 4 was a bit release and Oatchi seems to be gaining more support. Honestly, if Oatchi gets in, I see him more as a Piranha Plant esque role, so maybe as a bonus fighter. The other captains only have a shot as an echo.
:ultsnake:-No. Maybe in the past when Metal Gear Rising was at it's peak, we'd get Raiden but right now. No
:ultsonic:-Probably the third party franchise worth keeping an eye on the most. Shadow I think is a very strong candidate for an echo fighter. Second unique fighter is an uphill battle but I think Tails has a good shot making the climb (and maybe Eggman, but I sooner expect a boss from him)
:ultmegaman:-Again, a second unique character from Third Party franchises feels unlikely, our only one is Sephiroth. And it's hard to be on Sephiroths level. But. I wouldn't dismiss Zero. He's a very popular character and feels like he has a stronger chance than most. Oh I guess Protoman echo? There doesn't seem to be much push for a Mega Echo.
:ultisabelle:-Obviously the franchise is bigger than ever. But Animal Crossing doesn't lend itself to a lot of characters. Tom Nook could probably be an echo of someone though, just so there's something new to play with. Or maybe he has a bell gimmick?
:ultwiifittrainer:-no
:ultlittlemac:-no
:ultpacman:-Too many rights issues for a Ms. Pac-Man echo so no
:ultshulk:-Hmm. I think a Xenoblade 3 character is likely. Not necessarily guaranteed though just because implementing them may be complicated. That's not a dismissal though and I could see ways to make it work.
:ultryu:-If any character could do what Sephiroth did. It's Chun-Li. I could definitely see it.
:ultcloud:-I do personally think Sephiroth being DLC had something to do with Cloud being based game. Hard to say but if Sakurai wants both of the base game, we could see another, or maybe Sephiroth is DLC again, maybe both of them, or maybe both are cut and not coming back. Regardless, I'm learning towards no.
:ultbayonetta:-I'd love Jeanne as an echo and Rodin as a character. But I don't think Bayonetta has quite that pull. Despite the release of two Bayonetta games, the franchise doesn't seem like it's in a healthy spot.
:ultinkling:-Splatoon is almost certainly getting something, the question is what. The franchise is huge and eyes are on the Octolings. But I could see Sakurai/Nintendo wanting to throw in the Squid Sisters too
:ultsimon:-Alucard felt like someone Sakurai wanted to add, so he has that going for him. But I'm learning towards no
:ultjoker:-I'm not seeing it. I just don't think Persona has that pull
:ulthero3:-Definitely not. Hero is already multiple Dragon Quest characters in one. There's just no need. No, not Slime.
:ultbanjokazooie:-I love the cast of Banjo. But there's just no chance. It's a miracle he's in at all.
:ult_terry:-I don't know this franchise very well. But I don't think any of the other characters have a legacy that comes even close to Terry to be worth adding.
:ultminmin-We need ARMS 2 before we start discussing this. But Min Min already does what all ARMS characters would do and more. (By more, I mean having kicks to fill out the rest of the moveset)
:ultsteve:-Literally Who? You couldn't even resort to a mob as we got Zombie and Enderman as alts. Creeper will probs be an assist trophy though
:ultkazuya:-I guess maybe a Jin echo or Heihachi? Sakurai does seem passionate about Tekken but I feel he's also satisfied too. There's not really the demand for more Tekken
:ultsora:-Firstly, Sora needs to come back. That's far from guaranteed. I don't really see anyone joining Sora due to how complicated everything is there any no one else really has that far reaching pull like Sephiroth. Heck, Sephiroth (and Cloud) already fill out some of that Kingdom Hearts cast (which was even highlighted in Sora's reveal)

So looking through all that, I think I end up with a newcomer list of this (this

Dixie Kong
Skull Kid
Impa*
Bandana Dee
Magolor
Pokémon gen 10 whatever moving on
Shadow*
Tom Nook*
Noah (and/or Mio??? I dunno)
Zero
Chun Li
Octolings*
Squid Sisters (or Octolings as unique and Squid Sisters as separate echoes)

Oatchi (Bonus Character)

I like that list. And for new franchises, I'd probably throw in Golden Sun and Ninja Gaiden. Maybe Ring Fit.
:ultmario: Toad
:ultdk: Dixie Kong
:ultyoshi: Fine
:ultwario: Fine
:ultlink: Tingle
:ultpikachu: wish Meowth realistic new pokemon from gen 10
:ultkirby: Fine
:ultfox: Fine
:ultshulk: Fine realistic Xenoblade 4 main character
:ultsamus: Fine
:ultmarth: Fine realistic next Fire Emblem new character
:ultvillager: Tom Nook
:ultolimar: Fine
:ultpit: Fine / Medusa
:ultness: Porky Minch
:ultfalcon: Fine / Samurai Goroh
:ultlittlemac: Fine / King Hippo
:ultminmin Fine
:ultwiifittrainer: Fine
:ultrob: Fine
:ultduckhunt: Fine
:ultgnw: Fine
:ulticeclimbers: Fine
:ultsonic: Fine
:ultsnake: Fine
:ultmegaman: Fine
:ultcloud: Aerith
:ultryu: Chun li
:ultbayonetta: Fine
:ultsimon: Fine
:ultjoker: Fine
:ulthero: Fine
:ultbanjokazooie: Fine
:ultsteve: Fine
:ultkazuya:Fine
:ult_terry: Fine
:ultsora: Fine

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Are we doing bandwagons? I love bandwagons!
:ultmario: Waluigi
:ultluigi: Professor E. Gadd
:ultdk: Lanky Kong
:ultyoshi: Poochy
:ultwario: Captain Syrup
:ultpikachu: Garchomp
:ultkirby: Adeline
:ultfox: Slippy
:ultshulk: Noah/Mio
:ultsamus: Raven Beak
:ultmarth: Anna
:ultinkling: DJ Octavio
:ultolimar: Louie
:ultpit: -
:ultness: Kumatora
:ultfalcon: Pico
:ultlittlemac: Doc Louis
:ultminmin: Helix
:ultwiifittrainer: -
:ultrob: :ultduckhunt: :ultgnw: :ulticeclimbers: Balloon Fighter (retro rep)
:ultsonic: Dr. Eggman
:ultmegaman: X
:ultcloud: Black Mage
:ultryu: Zangief
:ultbayonetta: -
:ultjoker: Teddie
:ulthero: Slime
:ultsteve: -
:ultkazuya: King
:ultsora: -
This is more of "who I specifically would like to see" than who's likely, but that's more fun anyway.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Also doing this as who I want to see:
:ultmario: Fawful
:ultdk: Fine
:ultwario: Fine
:ultpikachu: Ludicolo
:ultkirby: Fine
:ultfox: Fine
:ultshulk: Noah
:ultsamus: X-Parasite
:ultmarth: Anyone tbh, I like Fire Emblem designs but haven't played the games
:ultolimar: Oatchi
:ultpit: Fine
:ultness: Porky
:ultfalcon: Fine
:ultlittlemac: Fine
:ultsonic: Shadow
:ultcloud: Terra
:ultryu: Chun li
:ultsimon: Alucard (With Soma echo)
:ultjoker: Tatsuya Suou (Or like any mainline SMT character if you count that as the same series (I do))
:ultkazuya: Jin
:ult_terry: Iori

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Also joining this trend

:ultmario: Pauline
:ultdk: Funky Kong
:ultlink: Tetra
:ultpikachu: Gholdengo Or Ogerpon
:ultkirby: Susie
:ultshulk: Noah and Mio as separate characters
:ultmarth: Alear or Tiki
:ultinkling: Squid Sisters
:ultvillager: K.K. Slider
:ultpit: Hades
:ultfalcon: Deathborn
:ultlittlemac: Doc Louis
:ultminmin Dr. Coyle
:ultrob: :ultduckhunt: :ultgnw: :ulticeclimbers: Takamaru
:ultsonic: Shadow
:ultcloud: If we are talking FF7 Specifically I would go with a Zack echo, if general FF then Emet Selch
:ultryu: Chun-li or Juri
:ultbayonetta: Balder or Jeanne as an Echo
:ultsimon: Alucard or Soma Cruz
:ultjoker: Aigis
:ulthero: Villain
:ultsteve: Valorie
:ultkazuya: Jin or King
:ultsora: Roxas/Xion Echo

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
every one are having their own newcomers predictions, i also have my own predictions for newcomers

:ultmario: Toad or King Boo
:ultlink: Midna
:ultkirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultpikachu: a Gen 8 or Gen 9 Pokémon
:ultshulk: Rex or Noah & Mio
:ultmarth: Alear
:ultvillager: Fine
:ultolimar: Fine
:ultpit: Viridi or Medusa
:ultness: Ninten or Kumatora
:ultfalcon: Black Shadow or Deathborn
:ultsonic: Tails or Eggman
:ultpacman: Ms. Pac-Man
:ultryu: Chun-Li
:ultcloud:a non-FF7 Character
:ultsimon: Alucard or Soma Cruz
:ultjoker: Yu Narukami or a SMT Character
:ult_terry: Geese or Rock Howard or a KOF Character
:ultkazuya: Heihachi or Jin
:ultsora: Roxas

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Guess I'll throw my hat into the ring. I'll have a mix of personal wants and predictions.

:ultmario: - Waluigi practically guaranteed, Toad is also strong. Pauline is a personal want after one or both of the previous two gets in.
:ultdk: - Dixie Kong is a big missing hole here, really feels like she should be here by now.
:ultlink: - Impa is my personal want and has a strong role in the series.
:ultsamus: - Fine as is
:ultyoshi: - Fine as is
:ultfox: - I really do want Krystal but I acknowledge she's unlikely unless a new Star Fox comes out with her, then she instantly becomes far more likely.
:ultpikachu: - Gen 10 Pokemon practically guaranteed.
:ultkirby: - Bandanna Dee is almost certainly the 4th one. My personal favorite is Adeleine, and I'm hoping that after Dee gets in she can become a strong contender for the 5th spot (although that would require her getting a major role in a new game, which I also am hoping for, however unlikely it is).
:ultness: - Fine as is (maybe Ninten or Paula echo)
:ultfalcon: - Fine as is (maybe echo of another driver if the series gets a proper new entry, my personal want is Jody Summer)
:ulticeclimbers: - Fine as is.
:ultgnw: - Fine as is.
:ultmarth: - Alear is almost certain unless another FE games comes out before then. Lyn is also a personal want of mine.
:ultwario: - Ashley and/or Mona.
:ultpit: - Fine as is (maybe Viridi as echo of Palutena)
:ultsnake: - Fine as is (maybe Raiden)
:ultsonic: - Tails
:ultolimar: - Pikmin 4 protagonist as Echo
:ultrob: - Fine as is.
:ultvillager: - Tom Nook
:ultmegaman: - Roll
:ultwiifittrainer: - Fine as is.
:ultlittlemac: - Doc Louis echo
:ultmiifighters: - Mii Mage, Mii Athlete
:ultpacman: - Ms. Pac-Man echo
:ultshulk: - Noah and Mio as duo fighter
:ultduckhunt: - Fine as is.
:ultcloud: - Terra or Tifa
:ultbayonetta: - Jeanne echo
:ultinkling: - Octoling echo, maybe Squid Sisters
:ultsimon: - Fine as is, maybe Alucard
:ultjoker: - Fine as is, perhaps Persona 6 protagonist if it's out by then.
:ulthero: - Add Female Erdrick and Sofia costumes and alter name of Hero to Heroine for those costumes (like with Olimar and Alph names). Maybe even give them an echo spot as Heroine and change Final Smash to include female heroes in the series.
:ultbanjokazooie: - Fine as is.
:ult_terry: - Iori or Nakoruru
:ultminmin - Maybe echo or Isabelle type semiclone of Twintelle or Ninjara
:ultsteve: - Fine as is.
:ultkazuya: - Jin echo
:ultsora: - Roxas echo, maybe Aqua

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
I’ll go with a personal wish list more than a prediction here but here’s what I’d love to see for some additional characters for existing franchises:

:ultmario: Goomba or Goombella
:ultluigi: King Boo
:ultdk: Dixie
:ultlink: Impa (Hyrule Warriors)
:ultpikachu: Gengar
:ultkirby: Bugzzy
:ultshulk: Nia or Noah/Mio (Ouroboros)
:ultsamus: EMMI or Raven Beak
:ultmarth: The Black Knight or Tharja
:ultvillager: Ankha
:ultolimar: Bulborb
:ultpit: Medusa
:ultness: Giygas
:ultlittlemac:King Hippo
:ultminmin Kid Cobra
:ultwiifittrainer: None
:ultrob: None
:ultduckhunt: None
:ultgnw: None
:ulticeclimbers: None
:ultsonic: Knuckles
:ultcloud: Princess Garnet
:ultryu: Guile or Vega
:ultjoker: Mitsuru, Kanji, or Makoto
:ulthero: Psaro
:ultsteve: None
:ultkazuya:Jin Kazama
:ultsora: Xemnas
Joining the bandwagon; Also going off personal wants for each series rather than what I think will happen.
  • Mario: Toad or Waluigi
  • DK: Cranky Kong (though only slightly over Dixie)
  • Zelda: Majora (the entity itself w/o Skull Kid)
  • Metroid: Omega Metroid
  • Yoshi: Kamek
  • Kirby: BWD or Marx
  • Star Fox: Slippy
  • Pokemon: Meloetta
  • Mother: New Age Retro Hippie
  • F-Zero: Deathborn
  • Retro/"Black Box" Franchises (includes stuff like Icies, Duck Hunt, etc.): Excitebiker
  • Fire Emblem: Anna
  • G&W: Fine - Could go for an OC Ms. Game & Watch
  • Kid Icarus: Hades
  • Wario: Ashley
  • Metal Gear: Raiden
  • Sonic: Dr. Eggman
  • Olimar: Rescue Cadet & Oatchi
  • Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
  • Mega Man: Zero
  • Wii Fit: Fine
  • Punch-Out!!: Aran Ryan
  • Mii: Fine
  • Pac-Man: Ghost Gang
  • Xenoblade: Noah & Mio
  • Street Fighter: Chun-Li
  • Final Fantasy: Vivi (FF8)
  • Bayonetta: Jeanne (echo)
  • Splatoon: Off the Hook
  • Castlevania: Alucard
  • Dragon Quest: Slime
  • Persona: I think it deserves another rep but IDK who it could be
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Fine
  • Fatal Fury: Geese
  • ARMS: Fine - Dr. Coyle could be fun though
  • Minecraft: I'd argue Steve is all we need, but I kinda wanna see Creeper
  • Tekken: Jin
  • Kingdom Hearts: Roxas

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ok!

:ultmario: Toad
:ultwario: Waluigi
:ultlink: Midna
:ultpikachu: Koraidon
:ultkirby: BWD
:ultshulk: Fine
:ultmarth: Black Knight
:ultpit: Fine
:ultness: Fine
:ultfalcon: Fine
:ultrob: :ultduckhunt: :ultgnw: :ulticeclimbers: Star Man
:ultsonic: Dr. Robotnik
:ultcloud: Kefka
:ultryu: Chun-li
:ultbayonetta: Fine
:ultjoker: Fine
:ultkazuya: King
:ult_terry: Fine

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Okay giving this a try too. This is mostly characters I'd like to see but also being realistic on who can make it in.

:ultmario: Captain Toad (with Captain Toadette as Echo) and/or Waluigi
:ultdk: Dixie Kong. I know we've been doing the whole "This time for sure" since the post-Brawl days, but she's probably the most justified legacy character at this point.
:ultyoshi: Not sure, really. But I wouldn't mind Kamek if he counts.
:ultwario: Ashley. I feel she's by far the most popular character from the Wario spinoffs. They also teased her a lot during the 3DS days with the huge amount of badges and backgrounds she got for that system.
:ultlink: Impa. Preferably the version from the first Hyrule Warriors. If not, the young one from AoC.
:ultpikachu: Meowscarada. Feels logical, but TBH I skipped on Scarlet/Violet so I'm not too familiar with them.
:ultkirby: Personally fine, but I wouldn't say no to Bandana Dee.
:ultfox: Fine.
:ultshulk: Haven't played XC3 but Noah and Mio seem fine to me.
:ultsamus: Fine.
:ultmarth: Alear. I loved FE Engage and I really want to see how the Engage mechanic translates to a Smash moveset. And for the record, I do NOT want any existing FE veteran in Smash to be "demoted" to become part of Alear's moveset.
:ultvillager: Fine.
:ultolimar: Fine. Although I would mind giving Alph his own slot as an Olimar echo.
:ultpit: Fine.
:ultness: Fine.
:ultfalcon: Jody Summer as an echo.
:ultlittlemac: Fine. Although if I had to pick one as a Mac clone/echo I would pick Mr. Sandman
:ultminmin Twintelle
:ultwiifittrainer: Fine.
:ultrob: Fine.
:ultduckhunt: Fine.
:ultgnw: Fine.
:ulticeclimbers: Fine.
:ultsonic: Shadow as an echo or Eggman as a whole character.
:ultsnake: Fine
:ultcloud: Terra, Final Fantasy is more than just FF7.
:ultryu: Chun Li, arguably the most important 3rd party not in Smash yet.
:ultbayonetta: Fine.
:ultjoker: Fine.
:ulthero: Fine.
:ultkazuya: Fine.
:ult_terry: Athena
:ultsora: Fine.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
i'm not really following the pattern of what we're doing with this one
Some people list the characters they personally want, some list the characters they think are likely, and some are doing in between. You can just do whatever lol, it's not like this is a school or work assignment where a teacher/manager is going to grade you.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I would also like to join in on the trend. I'll just do characters I'd like to see.
:ultmario: - Pauline
:ultlink: - Impa
:ultdk: - Dixie Kong
:ultyoshi: - Uhhhhh....
:ultpikachu: - Hisuian Trainer or Tinkaton
:ultkirby: - Bandana Dee
:ultfox: - Fine
:ultsamus: - Raven Beak
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow
:ultness: - Fine
:ulticeclimbers: - ???????????
:ultgnw: - ?????????????????????????????????????
:ultmarth: - Fine
:ultpit: - Hades
:ultwario: - Ashley
:ultsnake: - Raiden
:ultsonic: - Tails, but I ain't complaining if we were to get Shadow or Eggman
:ultolimar: - Fine
:ultrob: - ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
:ultvillager: - Fine
:ultmegaman: - Zero, I'm cool with either MMX or MMZ
:ultwiifittrainer: - lol
:ultlittlemac: - Fine
:ultpacman: - Ms. Pac-Man as an echo
:ultshulk: - Noah/Mio
:ultduckhunt: - dude i don't ****ing know lmao
:ultcloud: - If it has to be from FF7 I'll take Tifa, otherwise give me Terra
:ultbayonetta: - Jeanne as an echo
:ultinkling: - Ocotling as an echo, Squid Sisters would be cool too
:ultsimon: - Alucard
:ultjoker: - Fine
:ulthero: - Fine
:ultbanjokazooie: - Fine
:ult_terry: - If it has to be Fatal Fury specifically, Rock Howard. If it's SNK in general, Kyo or Nakoruru. A Metal Slug rep would be dope too
:ultminmin - Fine
:ultsteve: - Fine
:ultkazuya:- Yoshimitsu, but Jin would be cool too
:ultsora: - Fine

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well...why not?
:ultmario:: Geno
:ultdk:: Dixie Kong
:ultzelda:: Impa
:ultsamus:: Raven Beak
:ultkirby:: Bandana Dee or Magolor
:ultfox:: Krystal
:ultpokemontrainer:: Gen 9 or Gen 10 Pokemon
:ultness:: Kumatora
:ultfalcon:: Samurai Goroh
:ultmarth:: Alear or Veronica
:ultpit:: Medusa
:ultwario:: Ashley
:ultolimar:: Alph, the Pikmin 4 main character or Oatchi
:ultvillager:: Tom Nook
:ultshulk:: Noah and/or Mio
:ultinkling:: Octoling
:ultminmin: Spring Man or Ninjara
:ultsnake:: Raiden
:ultsonic:: Dr. Eggman
:ultmegaman:: Zero, Roll or Dr. Wily
:ultryu:: Chun-Li
:ultcloud:: Tifa or a non-FFVII character
:ultsimon:: Alucard
:ultjoker:: Makoto Yuki or Aigis
:ulthero3:: Slime or Psaro
:ultbanjokazooie:: Gruntilda
:ult_terry:: Nakoruru
:ultsora:: Riku or Roxas

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Some people list the characters they personally want, some list the characters they think are likely, and some are doing in between. You can just do whatever lol, it's not like this is school or work assignment where a teacher/manager is going to grade you.
that doesn’t explain the character icons

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
:ultmario: Waluigi
:ultdk: Dixie Kong.
:ultwario: Ashley.
:ultlink: Impa.
:ultpikachu: Tinakton
:ultkirby: Adeleine
:ultshulk: Nia and or Mio
:ultsamus: Ravenbeak
:ultmarth: Lyn
:ultolimar: Alph
:ultpit: Viridi
:ultlittlemac: King Hippo
:ultminmin Twintelle
:ultwiifittrainer: Fine.
:ultrob: Fine.
:ultduckhunt: Fine.
:ultgnw: Fine.
:ulticeclimbers: Fine.
:ultsonic: Dr. Eggman
:ultcloud: Terra
:ultryu: Chun Li
:ultbayonetta: Jeanne and Rodin
:ultjoker: Fine.
:ulthero: Fine.
:ultbanjokazooie: Grunty
:ultkazuya: Fine
:ult_terry: Athena or Nakoruru
:ultsora: Aqua

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
that doesn’t explain the character icons
Those just represent the series? Specifically the first character added for that series to represent them. Mario represents Mario, Link represents Zelda, Pikachu represents Pokemon... etc. It's more simpler than writing out the entire name of the series, which is helpful for time when there are like 40+ series now and writing out all of those names would be really tedious for everyone.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Those just represent the series? Specifically the first character added for that series to represent them. Mario represents Mario, Link represents Zelda, Pikachu represents Pokemon... etc. It's more simpler than writing out the entire name of the series, which is helpful for time when there are like 40+ series now and writing out all of those names would be really tedious for everyone.
perhaps this place needs series symbols as icons

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love how most of us agree that Roxas makes perfect sense to include in smash in ideal circumstances.
I’ll agree that Roxas probably makes the most sense but my most wanted is Xemnas (KH2) followed by Ansem (KH1). Roxas would definitely be easier due to his similarities with Sora.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That's a false equivalence. Epona and Rambi aren't playable in main games or even spinoffs of their own series. They don't have personalities either, and they're certainly not mainstays in a huge number of their series of origin's games.

It's Yoshi, there's no point in arguing about this no matter which convoluted way you're going to try and spin it.
Technically, Epona does have a personality and dialogue in exactly one game: Twilight Princess. Wolf Link can talk to most animals in the game and Epona herself is among them.

She only has two lines of dialogue, but they establish her as being both loyal to Link and worried for his well-being, as she recognizes him but usually asks him to return to his human/hylian form as soon as possible.

That's still ultimately only one game that explores her much as a character, though.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
I'll make my series by series predictions/ramblings when I have more time, but one thought I've had... What if the next game is just the full Ultimate roster, no newcomers, but they go all-in on single player modes?
A full Adventure mode, individual Break the targets etc... I'm not sure how well it would go with general audiences but if the trailer is sufficiently hype I guess very much?

Top Bottom