• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sorry for the unrelated topic but I've been playing some of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games (Hayabusa is a top request of mine but I only had the faintest experience with the 3D games) and I just need to mention how absolutely perfectly everything can just be envisioned for the guy when it comes to Smash: Legendary Black Falcon armor as the default with the classic purple outfit as an alt, moveset and movement animations blending elements of the original NES games with his greatly expanded modern moveset, the obvious trailer that recreates the original NES game's opening field duel (I know that's Ryu's father in the opening but it'd still make the perfect trailer with Ryu and another character like Sheik or Greninja), the Next Act victory jingle...it all just fits so naturally.

Obviously the same can be said for a ton of characters. I'm just gushing cause cool ninja is cool and I like cool ninja.
Yeah, I’ve actually never played a Ninja Gaiden game but I can’t deny having a classic ninja character like Hyabusa would be really cool. He’s not at the top of my list due to my lack of experience with the series but I’m sure he’d be a ton of fun to play. My most wanted ninja characters are Sub-Zero and Vega (which I suppose both are questionable for the class seeing as neither are of Japanese descent). As for actual ninjas, I’d love to see Kotaro Fuma from Samurai Warriors. He’s one of my absolute favorite characters from any of the Warriors games.

Last edited:

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I’ve actually never played a Ninja Gaiden game but I can’t deny having a classic ninja character like Hyabusa would be really cool. He’s not at the top of my list due to my lack of experience with the series but I’m sure he’d be a ton of fun to play. My most wanted ninja characters are Sub-Zero and Vega (which I suppose both are questionable for the class seeing as neither are of Japanese descent). As for actual ninjas, I’d love to see Kotaro Fuma from Samurai Warriors. He’s one of my absolute favorite characters from any of the Warriors games.
What do you think of this (this is a delzethin editor, btw):https://twitter.com/Neoxon619/status/1753202339593277761

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What do you think of this (this is a delzethin editor, btw):https://twitter.com/Neoxon619/status/1753202339593277761
I agree that it’s what Smash has been since Smash 4. Smash 64 and Melee were specifically celebrating Nintendo rather than any kind of general gaming celebration. That theme continued in Brawl but they introduced two third party characters, which is about standard for other guests in fighting games. It wasn’t until Smash 4 that the direction changed to a celebration of gaming, likely because they saw how much excitement the third party characters generated. Until Smash Ultimate, we never got any characters from franchises created outside of Japan. Like with Brawl, Ultimate introduced two characters that broke the current trend with Banjo and Steve. I could easily see that as a launching point to start bringing in more and more western franchises similarly to what Sonic and Snake did for third parties in general.

Amornal1

Smash Apprentice
I agree that it’s what Smash has been since Smash 4. Smash 64 and Melee were specifically celebrating Nintendo rather than any kind of general gaming celebration. That theme continued in Brawl but they introduced two third party characters, which is about standard for other guests in fighting games. It wasn’t until Smash 4 that the direction changed to a celebration of gaming, likely because they saw how much excitement the third party characters generated. Until Smash Ultimate, we never got any characters from franchises created outside of Japan. Like with Brawl, Ultimate introduced two characters that broke the current trend with Banjo and Steve. I could easily see that as a launching point to start bringing in more and more western franchises similarly to what Sonic and Snake did for third parties in general.
Then why startropics didnt get represented as a spirit in ultimate?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not sure on that since I don’t really know the criteria for spirit selection. I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t have been but maybe it just wasn’t a priority over other options. I think general popularity is still going to be a factor in what ultimately gets represented in Smash but I can see them start taking global popularity into consideration rather than just focusing on Japan alone.

To quote a tweet from that thread:
That one I can answer definitively: no one. There are characters that I think are highly likely like Octoling but I think it’s a mistake to claim any one character is guaranteed.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Although since they didn’t specify it had to be a newcomer, I think it’s safe to say that Mario is guaranteed to be in the next Smash game.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
The reason for that is essentially because, as far as NoJ is concerned, StarTropics basically doesn't exist. The games only ever came out in the west and their JP documentation apparently isn't the best, so it's got an extremely lopsided regional presence - there's a difference between a series that's more popular in the West and a series that only exists in the West. The only times the series has ever been acknowledged is by way of Nintendo's international branches, so I think it probably just isn't on the Smash team's radar. They might not even know it's a thing. IIRC, I think Eternal Darkness in Ultimate was the first time a fully Western-created Nintendo IP was ever repped in Smash, and that one came out in Japan - and ST was even made internally at Nintendo, so like.....if it was on their radar, it would have shown up by now. Don't expect it, or stuff like Geist or Tinstar for that matter, to ever show up

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Kinda like what Darth suggested - the absence of Rambi in any capacity feels so strange to me and I have to imagine it might just boil down to there being no “sitting” animation. Maybe this is why it took until Ultimate for DK to have a single AT? Gogoat is a thing but part of the fun with Rambi is having some control over them, so that’d be a cool function to play around with.
That's how I picture "mount" style ATs functioning. For a limited time, your Fighter just rides on it, and the moveset comes from the mount itself doing moves, not your Fighter doing moves from it's back. That way, each character just needs a "riding" animation, and not an entire set of mounted combat moves.

It'd be like the Hammer or any other item that temporarily changes how your character plays.

Sorry for the unrelated topic but I've been playing some of the 3D Ninja Gaiden games (Hayabusa is a top request of mine but I only had the faintest experience with the 3D games) and I just need to mention how absolutely perfectly everything can just be envisioned for the guy when it comes to Smash: Legendary Black Falcon armor as the default with the classic purple outfit as an alt, moveset and movement animations blending elements of the original NES games with his greatly expanded modern moveset, the obvious trailer that recreates the original NES game's opening field duel (I know that's Ryu's father in the opening but it'd still make the perfect trailer with Ryu and another character like Sheik or Greninja), the Next Act victory jingle...it all just fits so naturally.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While I'd prefer a wholly original Dixie, a semi-clone to Diddy with distinct moves that replaced the Monkey Flip and Banana Peel (with her getting a contrasting bubble gum gun & hair twirl with some similarities to the Peanut Popgun & Rocketbarrel respectively) I think I'd be reasonably satisfied.
I think Dixie could still qualify as an Echo as long as she got a couple of significant move changes, like Chrom.

But that's the issue. There shouldn't be a need to "represent" mechanics where it doesn't fit. Mario's F.L.U.D.D. does a good job at representing Sunshine but in the context of his Smash moveset it's just... weird.
Also, Sunshine is one of the least liked Mario games. So maybe it doesn't need to be represented in the first place.

I for one support the Dixie/Kiddy duo concept.
Ice Climbers was a mistake. It should not be repeated.

Because of a travesty of justice.

Really though, with how many Spirits are in the game, there's no excuse for every Nintendo game ever not having at least ONE Spirit.

"What video game character do you think has a guaranteed slot in next Smash game's roster? Whether you want them or not"
[recent Pokemon]

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That's how I picture "mount" style ATs functioning. For a limited time, your Fighter just rides on it, and the moveset comes from the mount itself doing moves, not your Fighter doing moves from it's back. That way, each character just needs a "riding" animation, and not an entire set of mounted combat moves.

It'd be like the Hammer or any other item that temporarily changes how your character plays.
Yeah, that’s exactly how I picture it if they were to go with the assist trophy style approach rather than incorporating them into Dixie’s moveset. They’d basically play exactly like they do in the DKC games.

I think Dixie could still qualify as an Echo as long as she got a couple of significant move changes, like Chrom.

Ice Climbers was a mistake. It should not be repeated.
I think people are misunderstanding the Dixie/Kiddy duo mechanics. While both Kongs are visible like the Ice Climbers, only one is an active fighter and the other is more in the background just running along with them. The main difference between Dixie/Kiddy and someone like Zelda/Sheik or Pyra/Mythra is that they’d have an attack where they can pick up and throw the inactive Kong. Otherwise, they play a lot closer to a standard transformation character than anything like Ice Climbers. I know you’re against standard transformation style characters as well but I just wanted to make that clear.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I wonder if theres a rule for the smash team that Zelda characters cant be multiple Incarnations?
I mean hyrule warriors had OOT, TP and SS Costumes Immeadiatly and to this day there have never been two incarnations of link, Zelda or Ganon sharing a spot!
Thge Closest are alt colors 5 and 8 for Toon link! and some colors for adult link!
Or Sakurai is just unfair!
I mean Smash ultimate is "Everyone" Is Here yet OOT and TP Link, OOT and TP Zelda and TP GAnaondorf are not in it!
Instead we got builder and wedding mario!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wonder if theres a rule for the smash team that Zelda characters cant be multiple Incarnations?
I mean hyrule warriors had OOT, TP and SS Costumes Immeadiatly and to this day there have never been two incarnations of link, Zelda or Ganon sharing a spot!
Thge Closest are alt colors 5 and 8 for Toon link! and some colors for adult link!
Or Sakurai is just unfair!
I mean Smash ultimate is "Everyone" Is Here yet OOT and TP Link, OOT and TP Zelda and TP GAnaondorf are not in it!
Instead we got builder and wedding mario!
Yeah, one of my biggest hopes for Smash is that they go the Hyrule Warriors approach and give us as many different incarnations of the Zelda cast as they can as alts. Some like Toon Zelda wouldn’t really work due to proportions but you could at least give her a costume that calls back to that version. It would be cool if everyone was able to play with their favorite versions of the Triforce trio and alts are a great way to do it. Mine would be OoT Link and Ganondorf and TP Zelda. I’d love to see the next Smash game expand actual alternate costumes beyond just palate swaps with a lot more characters too.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Yeah, one of my biggest hopes for Smash is that they go the Hyrule Warriors approach and give us as many different incarnations of the Zelda cast as they can as alts. Some like Toon Zelda wouldn’t really work due to proportions but you could at least give her a costume that calls back to that version. It would be cool if everyone was able to play with their favorite versions of the Triforce trio and alts are a great way to do it. Mine would be OoT Link and Ganondorf and TP Zelda. I’d love to see the next Smash game expand actual alternate costumes beyond just palate swaps with a lot more characters too.
I would say
OOT, TP, SS, BOTW AND TOTK, Fierce Deity Link as alts for link as in all adult links
Windwaker and resized Links Awekning Link for Toon link
OOT, TP, SS, BOTW,TOTK and ALTTP Zelda for zelda
Ganondorf would have his diffrfent outfits for TOTK Ganondorf and demonking
And Perhaps Sheik and Impa sharing a slot bam this would be pretty decent representation!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would say
OOT, TP, SS, BOTW AND TOTK, Fierce Deity Link as alts for link as in all adult links
Windwaker and resized Links Awekning Link for Toon link
OOT, TP, SS, BOTW,TOTK and ALTTP Zelda for zelda
Ganondorf would have his diffrfent outfits for TOTK Ganondorf and demonking
And Perhaps Sheik and Impa sharing a slot bam this would be pretty decent representation!
I think I’d rather have Impa as an echo than an alt since she has a lot of variations of her own. I’m also really hoping for at least one completely unique Zelda character with a moveset built from the ground up. Whether that’s HW Impa, Rauru, a Champion, Skull Kid, Midna, Pig Ganon or someone else. We’re long overdue for a unique Zelda character and we haven’t had one since Melee.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think that if a fps rep gets in smash bros, it should be doomguy.
I think Doom Slayer would be a great choice but my pick would be Joanna Dark. During the N64 days, I always considered GoldenEye and Perfect Dark to be honorary Nintendo games and I saw them as Nintendo’s shooters. I believe they were also the first third party games to get any content in Smash so there’s a bit of history there as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I honestly think the Spirits are better in the long run. All they really need to do is give descriptions to them.

Although if I could add a couple additional options aside from descriptions, one would allow you to do Spirits without the absurd power difference. Just an option for Smash Battles to only apply the main bonuses from Spirits(like Increased Jump, Increased Movement, Metal Killer, etc) with no Power involved. The other would be adding an Alternate Color editor and when you do the Spirit Battles, the character's colors match that of the Spirit.
You mean like a 'Spirit Battle creator' of sorts? Because I'd have a couple in mind I'd like to make...

Honestly if nothing else I'd even appreciate shorter, direct blurbs. Something like say:

"X: From Y, a game about Z. X is (insert a couple character details/backstories/whatever)."

Even something like that would go a long way in just....giving a basic idea of who these characters are. Sure, for characters from the more famous series' we do live in an age of fan wikis (I doubt anyone's gonna have much trouble figuring out who, say, Sigurd is on their own), but some of Ultimate's spirits go deep - like, the deepest the series has ever gone - and for those I think it's still helpful to give at least a quick rundown on who the **** Num Diddly is (I say that lovingly Num Diddly plz don't hurt me)
I feel the exact same way. I was sitting there wondering what exactly was the deal with folks like Num Diddly, Looksley, Magkid, Li'l Blue, and Prince Saruno.

I like spirits more because they aren't just ripped from the latest game on the console. The trophies from Brawl, 3DS and Wii U felt lazy because of it.
So, it's not just me that's been thinking that. It's kind of disappointing though. Heck, the Kirby trophies from Brawl? The majority of them were taken from Kirby GCN (which was cancelled). Although, it at least tells us that copy abilities like Needle and Sleep Kirby were going to be in the game, as well as characters like Kracko and Dyna Blade, so there is that.

What I like about spirits is that they allow for more characters and series to be represented in-game

Like, my boy Ryuuta over there would not be acknowledged if it was just trophies lol
Oh, definitely. If I may say so, nearly a decade after their games were released, I have to agree that none of the Ouendan or EBA (nor their female counterparts) would be featured in Smash in any way. Not to mention characters like Warrior Mech Gauss.

A second Sonic character, Arle Nadja or both.

It’s obviously hard for me not to show my bias on this - just look at my pfp. But Puyo Puyo is the kind of genre defining classic series that Smash loves to pay homage, and it is handily the second biggest Sega series overall. I suppose on a worldwide scale this isn’t as visible, but in Japan it’s been said Puyo has better brand recognition than Sonic himself. It baffles me we don’t have a Mii Costume or a few spirits by now.

I think people may be jumping the gun a bit on Yakuza. Call it a gut feeling, I suppose. I do truly think Kiryu (or Ichiban at this point… I might even prefer him now) would be a great choice, preferably after the two I mentioned IMO, although would also probably be more of a DLC equipped choice compared to the more humble or insular feeling of the former two. Essentially I think Sega will receive something new in base and I believe Kiryu would just have to wait his turn in that instance. Yakuza / Like a Dragon is on the rise… somewhat comparable to Persona before it, but I dunno. Maybe!
It's not far-fetched to say that where the rest of the world has Sonic as SEGA's mascot, SEGA of Japan's mascot (especially these days) is Carbuncle, Suketoudara, and the Puyos themselves, right?

RE: Spirits/Trophies discussion

Spirits are such an obvious rehash of Brawl's Stickers, but with their own mode dedicated to them. Trophies were cut in Ultimate when the two coexisted just fine in Brawl...

Look, I get that there were constraints and that they had to quickly slap together a singleplayer mode after spending the vast majority of their time and resources to characters/stages, but it never felt okay to trade 3D models for PNG's that you can just Google lol. Even though most models in Brawl and especially 4 were reused from other games, the brand new posing and descriptions made them worth it to me.

Maybe it's just me being an artist. I loved being able to zoom into characters and see all their little details by rotating them or changing the lighting. Spirits are just... there. I don't love the gameplay attached to them either, so the "at least they have gameplay functionality!" means nothing to me.

I also really enjoyed the subtle lore implications of trophies. The idea that the fighters are just figurines at the hands of an imaginative child always resonated with me. Especially at the end of Classic mode, when you get the trophy cutscene, it felt like the child was putting down their figurines when playtime is over.
Man, I miss Trophies... :(

I feel the same. I actually had a bit of fun gazing at the character's 3D model and seeing just what details might be hidden on the characters that we couldn't normally see in their official render.

I've also been a fan of Smash's lore regarding trophies too. The characters actually being a product of a child's imagination and all. As weird as it may be, I'm actually REALLY glad that Sora's reveal trailer (of all things) showed us that Smash's concept of Trophies isn't ENTIRELY retired.

If nothing else, I even found it quite fascinating that said reveal even went the extra mile to (finally) confirm to us that alternate skin characters like Alph, Leaf, the Koopalings and the gender-based alts. all apparently have their own dedicated trophy as well, and are NOT tied to their 'base' character, like I had presumed.

Still, that DOES make me wonder... exactly how many toys does this kid have in their house??? I mean, given Sakurai's claim that Spirits are the disembodied souls of characters who are normally trophies, and then you consider the amount across Smash's history + the characters who were Spirits in Ultimate...

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I think Doom Slayer would be a great choice but my pick would be Joanna Dark. During the N64 days, I always considered GoldenEye and Perfect Dark to be honorary Nintendo games and I saw them as Nintendo’s shooters. I believe they were also the first third party games to get any content in Smash so there’s a bit of history there as well.
while I'd prefer Heavy or Gordon Freeman I can recognize the desire for Doomslayer to be in the game (he does have those two beat when it comes to legacy), and honestly I view him as the likeliest one anyway since he's got a mii costume already

Gengar84

Smash Hero
while I'd prefer Heavy or Gordon Freeman I can recognize the desire for Doomslayer to be in the game (he does have those two beat when it comes to legacy), and honestly I view him as the likeliest one anyway since he's got a mii costume already
Oh, there’s no doubt DOOM has a larger legacy than either GoldenEye or Perfect Dark overall but it’s not really synonymous with Nintendo the way RARE’s games are to me. That said, several DOOM games have appeared on Nintendo consoles as well so there’s still history there too. I think it depends whether you value general legacy more than feeling like an honorary Nintendo character. There’s not really a right or wrong answer there, just different preferences. They’re basically the equivalents to Steve and Banjo to me where one is generally much more popular and the other has a strong history with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
You mean like a 'Spirit Battle creator' of sorts? Because I'd have a couple in mind I'd like to make...
Not quite. In Smash Mode, there's an Rule Option where you can use Spirits for yourself and CPU characters in Smash Mode, giving you and them the effects of the Spirits, like Unlimited Swimming, Increased Move Speed and etc. However, it also applies the Power and Color Advantage of the Spirits as well and as such, if you chose to using a Low-Power Spirit against a bunch of CPUs with low and high power Spirits, you and the other low Power CPUs will be defeated very quickly, more so if you have disadvantage.
That's what I mean about an Option for Smash Mode to take away the Power and Advantage of Spirits and simply apply the main Effects of the Spirits, so it feels a bit more like you are using that Spirit as a character battling against other Spirits without absurd power advantages making things either a cakewalk or a hard time.

And as previously mentioned, it'd be awesome if there was a Alternate Color Editor where aside from making your own Alternate colors, when you battle Spirits, the character they use will use the colors of the Spirit character and whatnot. Combined with the above and I think it can better capture the imagination that you are fighting against that Spirit as a character and not so much an added bonus.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This is a really cool moveset. I appreciate the attention to detail with the damage and knockback stats. I’m not really advanced enough to balance that kind of thing properly so I leave those out of mine rather than guess and be way off. I love the idea of a mounted unit in Smash and I think this set accomplishes that really well. I just wonder about the overall size of the unit once it’s mounted and how it would work in Smash. I imagine he would probably be the largest character in Smash factoring in the horse but I think having more large characters could be fun. Nice work!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay guys.

Do you think that Wii Fit Trainer will return?

Or will she be seen as superfluous?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Okay guys.

I think she's in prime condition to make her way back. Things will probably work out fine for her in the end. We shouldn't exercise too much cynicism for her chances yet.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Okay guys.

I think she'll definitely return. If other characters from franchise with no games can return (Ness, Ice climbers, Duck hunt), I don't see why Wii fit trainer is any different. Sure you can argue that she's a bit in a awkward spot where she's not a retro character, nor she's relevant, but she's still a super important part of Nintendo's history in the same way that the Miis are. Personally I don't see her going anywhere, she's probably among the most recognizable character on the roster.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Okay guys.

Wii Fit Trainer is fine.

Sure the Wii brand isn’t really a thing anymore, but it was huge back in the day. That makes her a significant part of Nintendo history. Not to mention that she’s weird, and the Smash team likes their weirdos.

Also, there’s no real reason to get rid of her. She’s not wrapped up in copyright issues or about to be replaced by a newer character from the same franchise. She’s good.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
The Wii Fit Trainer joke has ran its course. It's kinda the same deal as Piranha Plant. Yes, the character is important to Nintendo's history and super recognizable but the surprise wore off so it's like... why are you still here.

Noipoi

Howdy!
The Wii Fit Trainer joke has ran its course. It's kinda the same deal as Piranha Plant. Yes, the character is important to Nintendo's history and super recognizable but the surprise wore off so it's like... why are you still here.
Because Wario still hasn't lost a single pound.

She ain't leaving till he does :239:

Top Bottom