• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
THIS IS THE ONLY TIME TO POST THIS SO WE'RE ON THE GUIDO MISTA PAGE BABEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
OK, so here's an idea for a Rhythm Heaven character's Neutral Special inspired by Karate Man. First, watch this video to get an idea of what I'm working with.

The idea is similar to Header. Pressing the Special Attack button causes a pot to fly at you, and you can hit it forward with any of your normals, but you have to time it correctly to do so. This attack is spammable in a simple 1-2 rhythm at a tempo that makes it a good projectile, but not so good that it takes over the moveset. There are a variety of ways to expand upon this idea as well:
  • Sometimes, a blue or yellow lightbulb could be tossed at you instead of a pot. This can happen either randomly, or every so uses. Hitting the blue lightbulb will automatically throw a barrel with a bomb inside it at you that you can hit twice to hit a bomb at the opponent, and hitting the yellow one throws a bunch of barrels at you that you can hit with a combo attack to hit a barrage of barrels at your opponent.
  • Sometimes an item other than a pot could be thrown at you, which varies on power and distance once hit toward the opponent.
  • This attack could be used at all times, allowing you to factor it into your combos, but not allowing you to use it to break combos since it doesn't have a hitbox until you hit the item.
  • After using this Special Move, you can delay using it again for a specific timing that gives you an item that travels faster.
Not all of these ideas would have to be used mind you. It would definitely be something you'd have to play around with on the design board, but I think it's a good indicator of what a Rhythm Heaven character would be like (though I wouldn't have any of their normals do nothing if you didn't do the extra input). It's rhythmic, but not dependent on BGM or anything like that.
Oh, do not worry about explaining Rhythm Heaven to me, friend. I live and breathe that series.

Anyway... This idea doesn't really capture the idea of RH to me. The fundamental problem here is that the "rhythm" is a thing you decide, not something you have to try and keep up with. It doesn't feel like it's going to a beat, it feels more like Duck Hunt's can than anything. And sure, you could use this move repeatedly in a rhythm, but... why would you? It's one projectile with a slow rate of "fire" - people are just going to jump over it after the first one.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Right just like how Rex was supposed to be revealed back on the first of October. Most likely a coincidence and besides Doom Slayer was deconfirmed given that interview.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
In my opinion a Rhythm Heaven character should have a critical hit mechanic involving the bps of the actual song played.
Lower bps = stronger critial hit; higher bps = weaker critical hit (but more frequent and easier to get accidentally).
Also, multiple critical hits in combo (without misses) should increase the strenght of the hit until a cap is reached, and the cap should be the same for each bps (though it would require less hits to be reached for lower bps songs).
Exceptions such as the ambient sounds of that pikmin stage would be solved by putting a metronome sound in it only if a Rhythm Heaven character is in the fight.

At least, this was the gimmick I always associated Karate Joe with in my moveset ideas... I though it was too hard to execute because it would require changing the game itself, but then they added Steve and changed the whole game in order to add the mining mechanics, so I think it's totally possible to add some bps mechanics as well.

There are 2 problems though:
-lag online might mess with the gimmick making it terrible; the input buffer also doesn't suit a gimmick based on precise rhythm.
-A game called Gurumin already used a similar gimmick for critical hits, but it didn't work well because the feedback was poor and the startlag/endlag of the moves made the whole thing very unaccurate and unintuitive, so much that in the psp and 3ds port of the game they removed it; though probably this problem could be solved with a better design/implementation.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh, do not worry about explaining Rhythm Heaven to me, friend. I live and breathe that series.
Well, I couldn't assume you or anyone else was completely familiar with the series, so the point of reference was necessary for at least that.

Anyway... This idea doesn't really capture the idea of RH to me. The fundamental problem here is that the "rhythm" is a thing you decide, not something you have to try and keep up with.
You don't decide the rhythm though (with the exception of my final suggestion). It's predetermined You only decide when you interact with it. Besides, if you have either of my first two suggestions happen at random, it would indeed keep you on your toes, as you would have to register what's being thrown at you, and decide what you want to do with it right then and there. I didn't mention this in my initial explanation, but as a move inspired by Header, you can hit the items with whatever attack you wish, which affects the launch angle.

Anything more than that though, and you'll be left with a random mess, which also misses the point of the series. The minigames aren't random in the slightest; they can be memorized and perfected. That's where the emphasis should be within the context of a fighting game. A moveset that played itself or has too many random elements is just bad design.

It doesn't feel like it's going to a beat, it feels more like Duck Hunt's can than anything. And sure, you could use this move repeatedly in a rhythm, but... why would you? It's one projectile with a slow rate of "fire" - people are just going to jump over it after the first one.
intense zoom
Clearly you underestimate how rapid fire this move could be.

No but seriously, this thing could be faster than Wolf's Laser if you wanted it to be.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
In my opinion a Rhythm Heaven character should have a critical hit mechanic involving the bps of the actual song played.
Lower bps = stronger critial hit; higher bps = weaker critical hit (but more frequent and easier to get accidentally).
Also, multiple critical hits in combo (without misses) should increase the strenght of the hit until a cap is reached, and the cap should be the same for each bps (though it would require less hits to be reached for lower bps songs).
Exceptions such as the ambient sounds of that pikmin stage would be solved by putting a metronome sound in it only if a Rhythm Heaven character is in the fight.

At least, this was the gimmick I always associated Karate Joe with in my moveset ideas... I though it was too hard to execute because it would require changing the game itself, but then they added Steve and changed the whole game in order to add the mining mechanics, so I think it's totally possible to add some bps mechanics as well.

-lag online might mess with the gimmick making it terrible; the input buffer also doesn't suit a gimmick based on precise rhythm.
-A game called Gurumin already used a similar gimmick for critical hits, but it didn't work well because the feedback was poor and the startlag/endlag of the moves made the whole thing very unaccurate and unintuitive, so much that in the psp and 3ds port of the game they removed it; though probably this problem could be solved with a better design/implementation.
Honestly I don't think that's a good idea. On paper it might sound alright, but in a real match are you seriously going to wait some milliseconds just to time your attack with the music? besides, with more than 1000 song, it just feels way too complex.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

To accompany this, a solo DLC stage will be added completely separate from the Rhythm Heaven Challenger Pack: A Guitar Hero stage.

However, the use of licensed music prevents this stage from having much music. The budget only allows for one song to be played and one alone.

You know where this is going

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

The biggest problem with this is that critical hits would both be completely random and happen all the time. You wouldn't really be able to intuit the BPM of songs without dancy beats like Swan Lesson or Environmental Noises at all (if you could even do so for the ones that wear their rhythm on their sleeve, it's more difficult than you'd think), and trying to time your attacks so religiously to the beat of the music wouldn't quite work in a game where every frame counts. There's also the fact that people who are deaf would be sol when playing this character, as well as anyone with the sound or even just the music off.

Personally, the only things that I would sync up to the beat of the music are the flavor animations.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Honestly I don't think that's a good idea. On paper it might sound alright, but in a real match are you seriously going to wait some milliseconds just to time your attack with the music? besides, with more than 1000 song, it just feels way too complex.
It's an idea, until someone can actually make it and test it I don't know if it's good or bad. Though I'm convinced that if it's done right, you don't really have to wait milliseconds to time your attack, you just fight by following the rhythm, using the sense of rhythm to move your character and hit your opponents. Missing the rhythm would still deal a hit anyway, just a bit weaker.

This would make your attacks kinda predictable, but also force your opponent to move against the rhythm in order to hit you, or follow the rhythm with you if they want to shield or dodge your attacks. Basically, you bring rhythm into the fight and involve all your opponents in it, that IMO is the best way to represent a rhythm game.

Maybe make it so you can freely choose to follow the beat or upbeat when you are doing a combo, for additional depth and strategies.

Technically I doubt it's that hard, just add a bps value to each song and the hardware should be able to automatically calculate the rhythm for you... maybe some specific songs can have moments when the beat becomes irregular or changes, and if it's too much complex you can simply disable those songs when a RH character is used (maybe?).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To accompany this, a solo DLC stage will be added completely separate from the Rhythm Heaven Challenger Pack: A Guitar Hero stage.

However, the use of licensed music prevents this stage from having much music. The budget only allows for one song to be played and one alone.

You know where this is going

Fixed. :awesome:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
You don't decide the rhythm though (with the exception of my final suggestion). It's predetermined You only decide when you interact with it.
...Huh? I was under the impression that you press the button, and the pot gets thrown, crossing into the gameplay space one "beat" later. So... there is an omnipresent rhythm, but... it has nothing to do with the actual music? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Besides, if you have either of my first two suggestions happen at random, it would indeed keep you on your toes, as you would have to register what's being thrown at you, and decide what you want to do with it right then and there.
Yeah, this aspect of it does work for me. Although I wouldn't have it be random. I don't think that really reflects how Rhythm Heaven works. I'd have it go in order with three normal pots, a yellow lightbulb, three normal pots, a blue lightbulb, repeat. Sorta like how plucking Pikmin works.

I didn't mention this in my initial explanation, but as a move inspired by Header, you can hit the items with whatever attack you wish, which affects the launch angle.
I sorta figured this, but I'm honestly not sure this sort of thing would be what I want out of an RH character either. Karate Joe hits the pots always in the same way, and maybe uses his other hand on occasion. In a more general sense - you never need to figure out how you want to handle the cues thrown at you, because (except for Quiz Show) there's only ever one thing you do with them. You can't choose to use a different attack on the pots, or on the demons in Samurai Slice, or do different tricks in Tram and Pauline.

While I do think this would a fun tool to use, I'm not sure I would want a major characteristic of an RH character's playstyle to be the cool pot setups they can get. That feels kind of... off-center from what RH is about.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Huh? I was under the impression that you press the button, and the pot gets thrown, crossing into the gameplay space one "beat" later.
That's essentially it. But the "beat" is of a fixed length. You can't make it go faster or slower (with the exception of that final suggestion, but even that's on a fixed timer), you can only control when it happens.

Yeah, this aspect of it does work for me. Although I wouldn't have it be random. I don't think that really reflects how Rhythm Heaven works. I'd have it go in order with three normal pots, a yellow lightbulb, three normal pots, a blue lightbulb, repeat. Sorta like how plucking Pikmin works.
I'd agree with that decision.

I sorta figured this, but I'm honestly not sure this sort of thing would be what I want out of an RH character either. Karate Joe hits the pots always in the same way, and maybe uses his other hand on occasion. In a more general sense - you never need to figure out how you want to handle the cues thrown at you, because (except for Quiz Show) there's only ever one thing you do with them. You can't choose to use a different attack on the pots, or on the demons in Samurai Slice, or do different tricks in Tram and Pauline.

While I do think this would a fun tool to use, I'm not sure I would want a major characteristic of an RH character's playstyle to be the cool pot setups they can get. That feels kind of... off-center from what RH is about.
And maybe that'd be better in general. It's something that would require a general idea of how the rest of the attacks would work to figure out. I wouldn't want this move to dominate the character either (much like how Header and Deep Breathing dominates the Wii Fit Trainer's gameplan). Rhythm Heaven is more than just Karate Man after all.

I should not that I'm of the belief that if we add a Rhythm Heaven character, we should add all the Rhythm Heaven character. So rather than adding Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids by themselves, I'd add a bunch of characters that each cut in for specific attacks, and a lot of these attacks would have small quirks attatched that are relevant to the character attacking. Essentially, you'd be playing as a remix.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
That's essentially it. But the "beat" is of a fixed length. You can't make it go faster or slower (with the exception of that final suggestion, but even that's on a fixed timer), you can only control when it happens.
Yeah, that's what I meant by controlling the beat - it's not actually a "beat", it's just a fixed length of time after you hit the button.

I should not that I'm of the belief that if we add a Rhythm Heaven character, we should add all the Rhythm Heaven character. So rather than adding Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids by themselves, I'd add a bunch of characters that each cut in for specific attacks, and a lot of these attacks would have small quirks attached that are relevant to the character attacking. Essentially, you'd be playing as a remix.
Yeah, you definitely need to represent as many different minigames as you can. So while Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids are pretty prominent in the series, their ties to one minigame in particular isn't ideal. I never thought of going so far as to actually bring in other characters, though. That'd be cool. (Also, we can have alternate costumes inspired by remix themes and all the cut-in characters could change too. That'd be neat.)

It's still a little up-in-the-air who should headline the whole thing, though. I saw one concept that was Rhythm Girl and a monkey under the name "Rhythm Troupe", and I think that's my personal favorite out of all of 'em.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Karate Joe would be a pretty poor representation of Rhythm Heaven. People unfamiliar with the series might assume Karate Joe comes from a fighting game.
The problem with Rhythm Heaven is that there's... really no true representative of the franchise.

The nature of it having minigames under many different themes without any unifying mascot since all of those themes each have their unique characters means there's really no one character who can represent everything.

Picking one character means only representing a fraction of Rhythm Heaven, no matter which character would be chosen.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The closest thing Rhythm Heaven has to a unifying character is the Barista Dog. Dude shows up in litterally every entry and appears outside of the mini games themselves.

Not sure if I'd quite consider him true mascot material, though. Seen some pretty good Smash concepts for him at the very least.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And before someone brings up Min Min.... which I'm surprised the Min Min guy didn't do. Cute pic btw, Ramen.

ARMS is a relatively young IP that isn't quite as figured out as other fighting game IPs that have been around for decades and no, Spring Man's heavy push in the marketing and graphic novel teaser don't count yet because there's no sign of things staying that way as of today.

As a comparison, Morrigan usurped Demitri's role of main protagonist in the Darkstalkers games as he was originally intended as the protagonist before Morrigan just proved to be so popular that things had to be changed.

And almost every character in ARMS has a common theme; extendable arms. So unlike Rhythm Heaven, where all the characters are very disconnected in terms of what they represent since they all use rhythm in a different way, most of ARMS's roster actually represent the game's overall gameplay fairly well on their own.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Know that the 3DS was possibly a Good Reason why Rhythm Heaven was discontinued from the Smash 4 Roster, but is it also possible that Sakurai might not have figured out a way to Make a Rhythm Moveset work, even now?

Like if Ultimate had a normal Newcomer roster count (in Base Roster), would Rhythm heaven character actually have made it in?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I Know that the 3DS was possibly a Good Reason why Rhythm Heaven was discontinued from the Smash 4 Roster, but is it also possible that Sakurai might not have figured out a way to Make a Rhythm Moveset work, even now?

Like if Ultimate had a normal Newcomer roster count (in Base Roster), would Rhythm heaven character actually have made it in?
What are you talking about? 11 newcomers is totally a normal amount for Smash...............in the early 2000s :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Who can say?

Maybe, but my cynical mind says probably not.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The problem with Rhythm Heaven is that there's... really no true representative of the franchise.

The nature of it having minigames under many different themes without any unifying mascot since all of those themes each have their unique characters means there's really no one character who can represent everything.

Picking one character means only representing a fraction of Rhythm Heaven, no matter which character would be chosen.
The closest thing Rhythm Heaven has to a unifying character is the Barista Dog. Dude shows up in litterally every entry and appears outside of the mini games themselves.

Not sure if I'd quite consider him true mascot material, though. Seen some pretty good Smash concepts for him at the very least.
This concept I feel does a great job at representing all the characters (along with using Barista as the template).

7NATOR

Smash Master
What are you talking about? 11 newcomers is totally a normal amount for Smash...............in the early 2000s :p
I don't know, I Mean even in 1999 64 had 12 Characters. This is like 1 less, and 5 of them are Echo characters, with 1 being Semi-Clone. Ironically Ultimate added The Least Ultimate Amount of Newcomers

Anyway I think Despite how much Spirits Rhythm Heaven got in Base game, I think Rhythm Heaven might be Deaded from FP2 Slot, So I guess the only way to get a Rhythm characters is if We Get Don-Chan

-------------------------------------------

And on the topic of Developing Movesets and such, Is anyone kind of worried that Although Steve and Min-Min have some of the more Complex Movesets, their Models were Straight up ripped from their home games and yet they still took awhile to Make in general? How Many of the FP1 Characters had their Models ripped from their base game?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't know, I Mean even in 1999 64 had 12 Characters. This is like 1 less, and 5 of them are Echo characters, with 1 being Semi-Clone. Ironically Ultimate added The Least Ultimate Amount of Newcomers
I did what people like to call a joke.

And on the topic of Developing Movesets and such, Is anyone kind of worried that Although Steve and Min-Min have some of the more Complex Movesets, their Models were Straight up ripped from their home games and yet they still took awhile to Make in general? How Many of the FP1 Characters had their Models ripped from their base game?
Has it ever been confirmed for Min Min or do people just assume stuff based on how the model looks?

I'd ask the same for Steve, but he's so simplistic that even doing his model from stratch would be very short relative to other newcomers.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I did what people like to call a joke.

Has it ever been confirmed for Min Min or do people just assume stuff based on how the model looks?

I'd ask the same for Steve, but he's so simplistic that even doing his model from stratch would be very short relative to other newcomers.
I'll try and find one for Steve, but here's a Smashboard post that goes over it (Includes Twitter Pic)

It's not exact, but Min-Min's ARMS Model was used as a heavy Base.

Also I kinda figured it was a joke, but Personally Going along with a Joke kinda hard to do sometimes, and sometimes not really interesting (Especially if it's a joke that's played out or Heavily Memed, like Eggman's Announcement or something like that)

Sometimes the best thing to do is look at it seriously and analytically, since Alot of people won't do that sort of thing with Jokes or memes. there are truths and thoughts that can be found that can get the mind Juiced up on Philosophical Questions that Make are Minds more powerful by the day. Or something like that. at the least you could present a New View point on any Joke or ask interesting question that may not have come to mind

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I was just wondering

If SMRPG Remake is True, Is it possible that it's a 3D remake? because if so it's possible that if they wanted Geno in, they might re-use the Model from this 3D Remake and put it in Smash, since there is a Trend of Ripping Models from OG Games in this Fighter Pass

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So I was just wondering

If SMRPG Remake is True, Is it possible that it's a 3D remake? because if so it's possible that if they wanted Geno in, they might re-use the Model from this 3D Remake and put it in Smash, since there is a Trend of Ripping Models from OG Games in this Fighter Pass
I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the SMPRG remake rumors have been debunked because IIRC they relied on Geno being Challenger Pack 7

To answer your question, IF they are remaking it I'd bet there would be 3D models because Sprites take way to much time and effort to make.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
At this point I don't even know what my stance on Geno is anymore.

He'd drum up hype for a specific crowd but the majority of the modern day playerbase would either not know who the hell he is nor care.

Sakurai wanted him in at least at one point, but Nintendo's calling the shots for the DLC this time, so their choices are naturally gonna be about profit for the most part.

And unlike BK, Geno doesn't wasn't the lead of a once-big name franchise.

If Nintendo and Square decided to and agreed on this, it'd be only for the sake of satisfying an extremely specific group of people. I'm not sure I can see that happening.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So Actually Speaking of Sqaure and Geno and stuff, I had a Crack theory I wanted to share

It's Called the Estelleoroth Theory!

Pretty much The Theory states that The Falcom Producer Guy mentioning Adol and Rean, but not Estelle (despite him saying Estelle was his Favorite Character), Means that Estelle is in the game in some form, but Adol and Rean or not, but because of this She would be a Mii, since if there was Playable Estelle Adol and Rean would likely be in game in some form

However because of the Patterns of Mii Packs and how they can relate to Characters, A Reason Estelle was chosen was because she Relates to Aerith from FF7, Since they both are Women and have a Staff. This would mean that Sephiroth from FF7 is Playable. this is also supported by Lloyd's costume having a Katana, so pretty much

Estelle (Aerith) + Lloyd (Katana) = Sephiroth

this also leaves the Premium Spot to Geno, and also Explains Chocobo being missing this entire time. This also explains Sakurai meeting to Go meat Yoko taro in December of 2019, perhaps for 2B Costume

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom