• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We were talking about rhythm characters. This is how Hatsune Miku can still win!
Let's see how long until it delves into one of the echo chambers, because I can guarantee you at least one of these chambers can be argued to have a rhythm gimmick.

Not gonna say which one because I'm sure we all know it at this point.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Let's see how long until it delves into one of the echo chambers, because I can guarantee you at least one of these chambers can be argued to have a rhythm gimmick.

Not gonna say which one because I'm sure we all know it at this point.
I don't. I mean, the hypothetical Rhythm Heaven character we've been talking about can have this gimmick, but I think as a rhythm game character, most people would argue that it also should have this gimmick.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

From the Pokémon website:

“Add the Rogue Monkey Pokémon to your Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield game this December. Sign up for the Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter, opt in to email marketing by November 20, and then watch for a special email with a password to add the Pokémon to your game.“

So yeah; here’s your brand new “I’m only going to speculate this out of acceptance for its recency” character, SmashBoards.

…That being said, Jungle Healing sounds like an interesting idea for a special move.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
ZARUDE SANDSTORM!

I did it. I said the funny. Gib me leiks. :3

…That being said, Jungle Healing sounds like an interesting idea for a special move.
Anything that's a free healing is just never gonna happen because it's naturally unbalanced in both competitive and casual Smash.

"But..."

Stuff like Robin's down B require actually landing the move, and Hero's is RNG, so it isn't "free".

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

From the Pokémon website:

“Add the Rogue Monkey Pokémon to your Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield game this December. Sign up for the Pokémon Trainer Club newsletter, opt in to email marketing by November 20, and then watch for a special email with a password to add the Pokémon to your game.“

So yeah; here’s your brand new “I’m only going to speculate this out of acceptance for its recency” character, SmashBoards.

I have a bad feeling about this one.

Zarude lose.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
ZARUDE SANDSTORM!

I did it. I said the funny. Gib me leiks. :3

Anything that's a free healing is just never gonna happen because it's naturally unbalanced in both competitive and casual Smash.

"But..."

Stuff like Robin's down B require actually landing the move, and Hero's is RNG, so it isn't "free".
Deep Breathing and Salute the Sun heal you a bit when you use them.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nah, if we're getting a Pokémon, it'd be related to whatever anniversary project they've got cooking, and I can garuntee you Zarude ain't related to it by nature of being a Mythical Pokémon that exists to be a Mythical Pokémon and has nothing else interesting about it.

EDIT: Which is to say that it's not interesting in the slightest.

"But..."

Well obviously they'd put some sort of limiting factor on it. It would at least be slow enough that you couldn't spam it, or even pull it off in most situations.

Double post, delete mods.
twirls mustache

Yes...delete the mods. Muahahahahahahahahaha!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Steve's release in general also shows how this can bleed out to other studios such as Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco, because even after two bugfix patches, Steve is still unpolished and has a couple of glitches under his sleeves.
I fail to see how this is scummy as it certainly wasn't done by choice
So what we currently speculating?
We're speculating on NiGHTS now because I played Into Dreams last night

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
View attachment 291762Who are characters that you guys want to see in Smash but are rather unpopular in the roster support community? I don't mean "less popular" (such as Arvis or Intelleon) or someone who also has/would bring a lot of hate (Euden or Geno); rather I mean someone who is rarely seen, if at all (even jokingly). (Not that I want these characters, but I think a few examples are Hyde Kido from Under Night In-Birth, Crypto 137/138 from Destroy All Humans!, and Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse. (....or at least I don't see characters like these that often.))

Just Raz (Psychonauts) and Crow (Persona 5). Maybe I'll throw Gooigi (Luigi's Mansion 3), as a Luigi clone, in there too. That's all.
1605280197462.png

Despite getting some discussion not too long ago, Ragna constantly gets overshadowed by Sol Badguy.
I feel both of them have an equal shot of getting into Smash yet Sol gets most of the attention.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
NiGHTS would honestly be cool but I can't see it happening considering the franchise's been dead since 2007 and was inactive for 11 years after the first one. I just don't know what to say about him other than that he would be a SEGA rep that wouldn't make sense, especially when compared to Arle.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Deep Breathing and Salute the Sun heal you a bit when you use them.
Both only heal 2%, so it's not that big of a deal.

The latter also requires good timing and the latter requires a full charge to even get it.

Those aren't "free" heals.

Well obviously they'd put some sort of limiting factor on it. It would at least be slow enough that you couldn't spam it, or even pull it off in most situations.
I guess... but it still gives me flashbacks of Elena in Ultra SF4.

Yeah, considering how much work he needed, I think glitches were inevitable, and hard to stamp out ones at that.
That's fair enough, I suppose.

But we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and I wouldn't be too shocked in Nintendo forced a deadline to prevent too much drought, leading to more glitches than we really needed to have.

That's pure speculation though.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Who are characters that you guys want to see in Smash but are rather unpopular in the roster support community? I don't mean "less popular" (such as Arvis or Intelleon) or someone who also has/would bring a lot of hate (Euden or Geno); rather I mean someone who is rarely seen, if at all (even jokingly). (Not that I want these characters, but I think a few examples are Hyde Kido from Under Night In-Birth, Crypto 137/138 from Destroy All Humans!, and Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse. (....or at least I don't see characters like these that often.))

Just Raz (Psychonauts) and Crow (Persona 5). Maybe I'll throw Gooigi (Luigi's Mansion 3), as a Luigi clone, in there too. That's all.
For me, that would have to be Otto Matic from... Otto Matic. Also Asha from Monster World 4.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
My view on Geno has been:

He inspired the Mii Gunner. Arm Cannon's arent exactly the way a shooter would generally be conceived- as seen with some of the preMiium costumes. The arm cannon was a way Sakurai could honor Geno.
... and that this is exactly why he makes the perfect preMiium. I don't think it's a coincidence we started getting the upgraded Mii's right around when the second fighters pass would have been decided. I expect a good Geno costume.

I...never thought of Mii Gunner like fhah. I always figured characters like Samus were the inspiration, there.

Then again, I never played SMRPG, so no chance I ever would've made any connection between the two with that in mind.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While he ranks fairly low on the list of Sony (owned?) characters wanted for the game, I have to admit Parappa the Rapper (and Um Jammer Lammy) popping up in Smash in some form would be a delightful surprise.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Its really interesting that they have a character (assist trophy) represented in Smash, but its not their poster boy Ryu Hayabusa and we don't have Ninja Gaiden spirits. Considering how much Koei Tecmo partners with Nintendo, if they wanted to they could have easily given Ryu Hayabusa as an Assist trophy or give Ninja Gaiden spirits. Gives me hope he might be part of Fighter Pass 2.
I actually used to want Ryu Hayabusa to be an assist trophy instead of playable, but then I changed my mind and began to support him instead.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think a visual cue is probably the best option for the character, like DK's previous Final Smash, either placed by the character's fighter portrait like all the other characters with meter gimmicks and whatnot, or probably a single larger one at the top or bottom of the screen since all players who use the Rhythm character in the same match would pretty much use the same one anyway and have clearer and quicker access to it too over a tiny one in a corner by the characters fighter portrait I think. Unless their stage has some kind of gimmick where every character can make use of their rhythm gimmick there...

Rumble cues would probably help too.
Rumble cues would end up very confusing- the controller rumbles all the time, and although Nintendo invented HD rumble, I would be shocked to see every rhythmic note used via rhythm.

I love all the ideas though! The one thing I cannot see as feasible at all is utilizing all of 1000 and counting songs. That's just not practical, and offers many issues.

I also don't think a Rhythm Heaven character NEEDS to utilize rhythm in every move. I actually thought
A- the suggestion above for a RH stage that utilizes it for everyone
B- the doggo who uses others attacks

Were pretty on point thoughts.

I...never thought of Mii Gunner like fhah. I always figured characters like Samus were the inspiration, there.

Then again, I never played SMRPG, so no chance I ever would've made any connection between the two with that in mind.
Samus was probably still the inspiration I think, Gunner shares most of Samus' special moves and most of Gunner's moves don't really resemble anything Geno does in SMRPG.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
View attachment 291762Who are characters that you guys want to see in Smash but are rather unpopular in the roster support community? I don't mean "less popular" (such as Arvis or Intelleon) or someone who also has/would bring a lot of hate (Euden or Geno); rather I mean someone who is rarely seen, if at all (even jokingly). (Not that I want these characters, but I think a few examples are Hyde Kido from Under Night In-Birth, Crypto 137/138 from Destroy All Humans!, and Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse. (....or at least I don't see characters like these that often.))

Shake King from Wario Land cause I want another villian rep.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I like to talk about Billy Hatcher. Problem is, nobody ever mentions him...

Eh, if it means we can talk about Balan Wonderworld when it comes out...

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Who are characters that you guys want to see in Smash but are rather unpopular in the roster support community? I don't mean "less popular" (such as Arvis or Intelleon) or someone who also has/would bring a lot of hate (Euden or Geno); rather I mean someone who is rarely seen, if at all (even jokingly). (Not that I want these characters, but I think a few examples are Hyde Kido from Under Night In-Birth, Crypto 137/138 from Destroy All Humans!, and Rick Taylor from Splatterhouse. (....or at least I don't see characters like these that often.))
Mr. Capcom himself, Captain Commando.

Also, at least a mii costume of these guys:

Flik, from Genso Suikoden

Xiahou Dun, from Dynasty Warriors

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As far as fan support goes, Chorus Kids, Rhythm Girl, Karate Joe and the Wrestler + the Reporter always seemed to be the most popular picks by far.

I never really heard of any others being considered. They either weren't recurring enough, or weren't popular enough.

Samus was probably still the inspiration I think, Gunner shares most of Samus' special moves and most of Gunner's moves don't really resemble anything Geno does in SMRPG.
That's why I'm a bit skeptical of the theory, still, tbh. I don't think it'll have much of a bearing on Geno's final fate either way, though.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why have that when you can just pressure people into buying a shoddy netcode so that they're not left behind?

I like Nintendo, but the Switch Era has done nothing but bring out their scummiest side lately, from their mobile game's aggressive gacha systems (FEH being the closest thing to an exception with how generous it can be at times) to the absolute lack of effort on the anniversary of their biggest IP (they actually just took open source fanmade emulators and called it a day), and obviously timed releases are also pretty shady.

Steve's release in general also shows how this can bleed out to other studios such as Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco, because even after two bugfix patches, Steve is still unpolished and has a couple of glitches under his sleeves.

2020 has showed how little Nintendo cares about the consumers and how much more they care about their wallets.
I think 2020 was just a rough year for businesses in general. I don't think it specifically has to do with Nintendo being shady. I certainly didn't interpret this, or glitches for an extremely complex character, to be them being lazy.

Yeah, there are Samus and Megaman. And that's plausible.
But that's still not the standard way in which a projectile based character would be thought.
It could be argued that they are more kid friendly than a character holding a gun, which is fair, but I'm not sure that gets into the core of it. It's not as if any of the costumes in 4 had a handheld gun (though we did have some other handhelds, like Isabelle's... crackle thing). I just don't think they are prominent enough.

Obviously, I'm purely speculating. I just think a preMiium gunner is literally based on the idea of Geno (from the unchanging doll face, to the moveset, to the size, and all else)... and to beat everyone to it (since it seems not thinking a character gets in = not liking them), please don't tell me I hate Geno just because I think he is best suited for a Mii costume. He's a fun character and I enjoy him. I'm quite aware of how I feel, and don't need to be told, thanks.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think 20

Yeah, there are Samus and Megaman. And that's plausible.
But that's still not the standard way in which a projectile based character would be thought.
It could be argued that they are more kid friendly than a character holding a gun, which is fair, but I'm not sure that gets into the core of it. It's not as if any of the costumes in 4 had a handheld gun (though we did have some other handhelds, like Isabelle's... crackle thing). I just don't think they are prominent enough.

Obviously, I'm purely speculating. I just think a preMiium gunner is literally based on the idea of Geno (from the unchanging doll face, to the moveset, to the size, and all else)... and to beat everyone to it (since it seems not thinking a character gets in = not liking them), please don't tell me I hate Geno just because I think he is best suited for a Mii costume. He's a fun character and I enjoy him. I'm quite aware of how I feel, and don't need to be told, thanks.
Im not convinced, but yeah, I won't . Your theory didn't give me the impression that you were biased against Geno or anything of the sort.

I'm not really a Geno fan myself, so it's not lkmr I have anything to lose whether he gets in as a newcomer or costume. I'm more neutral towards him than anything else.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I like Geno, I just have about 4 dozen characters I like more, who wouldn't feel at all appropriate as a Mii costume upgrade.

I also didn't think Bomberman was a great one, since ... well, there are no Bombs he can use. It's why I wish the preMiiums would be acknowledged by Nintendo as being different, and each come with an original Mii move. Shovel Knight and his shovel plummet, Hollow Knight and an air dash, Bomberman and a...bomb.

I also wish the announcer would just record the damn names for these characters, and that they would display on the screen. I still hope for an update that includes this. I don't need original animations and movesets entirely if they at least acknowledge the difference. A character model versus a cosplay.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Parappa the rapper, Ulala from Space channel 5 or Amigo from Samba the amigo.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
At the very least certain rhythm characters could make for some fun assist trophies where if you are in proximity when its activated, the damage it does to you correlates with how much you can match the beat. Granted that might also require giving unique dance mechanics to each fighter, but it'd be fun to see.

Who are characters that you guys want to see in Smash but are rather unpopular in the roster support community? I don't mean "less popular" (such as Arvis or Intelleon) or someone who also has/would bring a lot of hate (Euden or Geno); rather I mean someone who is rarely seen, if at all (even jokingly).
Most of mine have a snowball's chance of making it in, and that's why they are never talked about.

One is Zero from Mega Man, but specifically the version from the Zero games. That version would never make it over his more iconic look, and that more iconic version is an assist trophy. I did learn that Zero was a character in SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos and sported his Zero look. The more you know.

Another is Rook from the Banner Saga. We're talking obscure indie game for this guy, and I wouldn't pretend he'd be the most original indie character out there. I don't bring him up much because of that. He's a great character, though, and I could see him having a really cool playstyle revolving around traps. He'd be different aesthetically from most of the roster and would bring a cool stage, since the games are set in post-apocalyptic Nordic land.

A third would be Magnolia from Bravely Second. She wouldn't get in over any other Bravely character, but I think she'd be the most interesting from a moveset standpoint.

Then there's Ludger from Tales of Xillia 2. He's got just about everything you want in a Smash character, but he has a lot of drawbacks that would keep him out. He's not the most recent in his series, his game isn't on Nintendo hardware, and he isn't as popular as Lloyd or Yuri, depending on what circle you're talking about. He does have a sledgehammer. Just saying.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Would Black Shadow count? Most people don’t even consider him as DLC since F-Zero is still on hiatus and he’d be more fit as a base character, perhaps even as an echo.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I find it really laughable that people still believe in CacoMallow despite it has been a year ago. The best part of all is by countering by comparing it to the Ken leak.

If it were real why would Nintendo withhold it for so long? It would have been revealed and released by now.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
At the very least certain rhythm characters could make for some fun assist trophies where if you are in proximity when its activated, the damage it does to you correlates with how much you can match the beat. Granted that might also require giving unique dance mechanics to each fighter, but it'd be fun to see.
Honestly I was shocked to see that RH didn't have a assist trophy in Ultimate. With the low number of newcomers, I totally get why there's no playable representation. But I think it would have been cool to see Wrestler + Reporter as an assist. It's a bit sad considering that franchise like Art academy and Joy mech fight could get an assist but not RH.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I find it really laughable that people still believe in CacoMallow despite it has been years ago. The best part of all is by countering by comparing it to the Ken leak.

If it were real why would Nintendo withhold it for so long? It would have been revealed and released by now.
Well, this came out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom