• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Now that we are on this topic...Where the hell is our Rhythm Heaven Switch game? Or WarioWare? I'm at an extreme deficit that 1-2 Switch does not fill!
Well, WarioWare on the Switch has been rumored for almost two years now so I think it's a matter of time until Nintendo reveals something regarding the game. My guess is we'll see something regarding it next year.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh **** we're talking about rhythm-based characters? Good thing I finished this just now. Now I'll just need to finish the moveset.

Fighter pass for Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven. Enjoy!

To those who don't know, Rhythm Heaven's great. Pretty easy to get into, but it still offers challenges here and there. It's a shame that it never got a fighter, especially since it does seem like it really was going to happen in 4 with the scrapped series icon and Sneaky Spirit Smash Run ordeal and all that. It's also pretty tragic to see the state of Rhythm Heaven demand within the Smash fanbase. After having the Chorus Kids in two notorious "leaks," you would think a Rhythm Heaven character would be about as notable as a demand as at least Isaac at this point, but that doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately.

As for why I chose Joe specifically as the Rhythm Heaven character, it's mostly personal preference. That doesn't mean Joe doesn't have any merits for being included over other candidates like the Chorus Kids and the Tap Trial Girl. Joe has appeared in every game of the Rhythm Heaven series and even served as the first true minigame in the series. He's definitely a mascot for the series and, being a martial artist, wouldn't be hard to adapt as a fighter. Not to say that Rhythm Heaven's other options wouldn't be good, but Joe is the option I lean towards to the most.

At first I was going to use Rhythm Heaven as the stage, but then I saw this suggested as a stage in the comments to some videos while looking up the music I listed. Needless to say, I really liked the idea.

Fruit Basket was introduced in Megamix, and its track is even one of 3 Rhythm Heaven songs currently in the game. In this minigame, the street bounces fruit coming out of pipes into nearby hoops.

In Smash, the fighters would fight on the road as it's sleeping. Much like Donkey Kong in 75m, the road won't be active all the time and will only occassionally interrupt the fight. When it does wake up, the lightbulbs on the basketball hoops will light up to alert the players of the incoming chaos. Fruit will start coming out of the pipes and will be launched by the road if it reaches the middle, along with any unlucky fighters near it. The fruit won't hit the players, but it can still be attacked to either stop the road from launching the fruit or to accelerate the process and get the road to launch it faster. Once the lights on the hoops turn off, the road will go back to sleep.

Obligatory cameos: the road will have several dreams while sleeping that feature minigames from the series like Glee Club.

Fortunately enough, the Rhythm Heaven spirits that are in Smash include some of the more popular characters from Rhythm Heaven, with nearly all of them even having battles. I wanted to make things even between the four games, so I gave each four spirits. Anyway, onto the actual battles now, with some flavor text to boot.

Fortunately for me, the Wandering Samurai is the only existing spirit without a battle so he's the only old one I have to come up with a battle for.

The Wandering Samurai

Type: Attack
Class: Advanced
Slots: 2
Ability: Enhanceable
Fighter/Stage: :ultchrom: in Omega Form Bridge of Eldin
Conditions:
  • Hostile assist trophies (Takamaru) will appear
  • The enemy favors side special attacks
This one should be simple enough. Takamaru shows off how much of a samurai battle this is. Chrom constantly using Dancing Blade references the Samurai's whirldwind slice.

Now for the new ones.

Sneaky Spirits

Type: Shield (Fight)/Support
Class: Novice
Slots: 1
Ability: Braking Ability+
Fighter/Stage: 4 :ultpiranha:'s in Onette
Conditions:
  • Timed battle
  • The enemy will occassionally be invisible
These spirits make a return from Smash Run as spirits! Get them before time runs out without losing track of where they are.

Tap Trial Dancers

Type: Grab (Battle)/Support
Class: Legend
Ability: Foot Attack +++
Fighter/Stage: :ultpeach: and 2 :ultdiddy:'s in Omega Form Fruit Basket
Conditions:
  • Only certain Pokemon (Alolan Exeggutor) will emerge from Poke Balls
  • The enemies' kicks and knee strikes have increased power
  • High gravity
The Tap Trial girl and monkeys will serve as the legend spirit for Rhythm Heaven. Even the giraffe joins the fray through Alolan Exeggutor.

The Blue Birds

Type: Attack
Slots: 3
Ability: None
Fighter/Stage: 1 Small :ultfalco: and 3 :ultduckhunt:'s in Battlefield Shadow Moses Island
Conditions:
  • Defeat the main fighter to win
  • The enemies favor tilt attacks
You might only have to take out Captain Blue Bird to win this fight, but the Blue Birds' pecking training won't be for nothing as they'll be relentlessly protecting their captain.

Airboarders

Type: Defense (Battle)/Support
Ability: Jump +
Fighter/Stage: 3 :ultfalcon:'s in Big Blue
Conditions:
  • The enemies can deal damage by dashing into you
  • The enemies deals damage when falling
Watch for the Airboarders as they'll be charging at you from all angles. Big Blue's constant movement will probably not help matters either.

Marshal, Cam, and Miss Ribbon

Type: Neutral
Class: Ace
Slots: 3
Fighter/Stage: :ultvillager:, :ultgnw:, and :ultjigglypuff: in Fountain of Dreams
Conditions:
  • Defeat the main fighter to win
  • Villager loves to jump
  • Mr. Game and Watch favors side special
The mascots of Fever will provide a hectic battle as Marshal constantly hops around while Cam and Miss Ribbon try to take you out, with Cam in particular having the chance to take you out with a 9.

Huebirds of Happiness

Type: Attack (Battle)/Support
Ability: Impact Run
Fighter/Stage: 4 :ultfalco:'s in Golden Plains
Conditions:
  • Take your strongest team into this no-frills battle
Tweet, twe-twe-tweet, twee-tweet, SQUAWK!

Translator Tom and Martian

Type: Grab
Fighter/Stage: :ultsamus: and :ultkirby: in Lylat Cruise
Conditions:
  • Gravity is low
How fortunate that the Martian won't be introducing you to its leader in this spirit battle. Easy and simple battle.

Kitties!

Type: Grab (Battle)/Support
Ability: Lightweight
Fighter/Stage: 3 :ultincineroar:'s in Pictochat
Conditions:
  • The enemies favor special attacks
  • The enemies love to taunt
These fellas are too focused on their dance to be fighting you. Don' get too close to them while they're spinning, though.

Beary

Type: Defense (Battle)/Support
Class: Ace
Ability: Stats after Eating++
Fighter/Stage: :ultbanjokazooie: in Dreamland
Conditions:
  • Items are attracted to the enemy
  • The enemy has increased attack after eating
  • Certain items will appear in large numbers
Poor Beary is eating his sorrows during this battle. ): Wake him up from this nightmare.

And that's it for the spirits. While there are some missing characters I could've included (Clappy Trio, the Lockstep guys, MC Adore, etc.) I feel like these characters make for enough fun references and battles.

It's a rhythm game, of course the music list will be massive. It's basically nearly the entire appeal of the series, aside from the silly premises for the minigames, of course. I'm just gonna link all the songs I listed in here. The ones marked with asterisks are the ones I'd like to see get remixes. Give a listen to a couple if you have the time, or play the games. Whichever one you're more comfortable with.

This is easily the dumbest classic mode I've come up with so far. You'd probably expect something related to music or of the sorts here, but nah. I already had a music themed classic mode with Toxtricity so I wanted something else. I looked into Tibby's (Megamix's protagonist) totally original catchphrase instead: Let's we go, amigo! Karate Joe fights Mario and several of his look-alikes or those inspired by him, culminating into a battle against Giga Bowser. Not the direction most would go with but it's fine enough for me.
Thats not Don-chan

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What's the spinoff of Mystery Dungeon??
There's the Pokémon one, there's a Chocobo one...There are others I'm sure but I don't know anything about them.

Go play Blazblue Cross Tag Battle and play as Azrael, that's what people mean when they talk about timed hits as a mechanic
No it's not. It's always something more like Deep Breathing or earlier forms of Dancing Blade. The attack is correctly executed, amplified, or continued with correct timing, and it's always interdependently from whether or not you hit the opponent.

Even so, Dragon Ball Fighterz has this as a universal mechanic. In order to combo, you have to hit the buttons with correct timing on hit. Too fast, and nothing happens, too slow, and your attack comes out too slow. If it were a terrible mechanic, nobody would like that game.

...Wait a minute don't people really like Azrael?!?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's the Pokémon one, there's a Chocobo one...There are others I'm sure but I don't know anything about them.

No it's not. It's always something more like Deep Breathing or earlier forms of Dancing Blade. The attack is correctly executed, amplified, or continued with correct timing, and it's always interdependently from whether or not you hit the opponent.

Even so, Dragon Ball Fighterz has this as a universal mechanic. In order to combo, you have to hit the buttons with correct timing on hit. Too fast, and nothing happens, too slow, and your attack comes out too slow. If it were a terrible mechanic, nobody would like that game.

...Wait a minute don't people really like Azrael?!?
The idea of hitting a button when landing an attack isn't in Smash yet, which is the basis of a timed hit mechanic

Oh people love Azrael, but BBTag changed his Weak Point mechanic from setting up weak points on opponents to tapping the button when landing the hit. This was done to simplify the mechanic as BBTag does that a lot but it ironically made it harder to execute

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Rhythm Heaven feels like one of those franchises where even if Nintendo didn't want to deal with the costs of physical production, that at the very least it could thrive in the current marketplace as a series of digital only releases. I think there's loads of lower scale Nintendo IP's that could turn a profit if done that way. Why can't there be another Advance Wars on the eshop to take advantage of the fanbase that exists for it without taking too big a risk with cost?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ah, the heroic ninja that the main Blazblue cast doesn't take seriously until Chronophantasma where he becomes integral to the plot.

WHY IS HE NOT IN BBTAG YET!?
I thought they were done giving BBTAG updates. Then again, I keep hearing conflicting reports on that...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
RH's creator was seen begging for fans to show interest in a new installment earlier this year

Not...a very encouraging sign for the series.
Oh no! Was there any prompt for this to be done? Maybe just to get vocal and show just how many fans there are? I'm looking for ways to not interpret this as a plea for a savior.
I didn't realize that Mystery Dungeon, itself, was a series- I thought the conversation was just about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Knowledge!

Rhythm Heaven feels like one of those franchises where even if Nintendo didn't want to deal with the costs of physical production, that at the very least it could thrive in the current marketplace as a series of digital only releases. I think there's loads of lower scale Nintendo IP's that could turn a profit if done that way. Why can't there be another Advance Wars on the eshop to take advantage of the fanbase that exists for it without taking too big a risk with cost?
I'm reminded of my list of Nintendo Franchises I wish were helped by Smash Bros in the way Fire Emblem was...
Chibi-Robo, Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, 'Wars,
...and even Mach Rider, Balloon Fight, and Panel de Pon. I mean, why didn't Balloon Fighter get in? Iwata's connection to him makes him seem like a surefire pick.

It wont happen until he retires (actually retires) from Smash Bros, but damn- even just for curiosity sake, I wonder about the characters Sakurai considered (that we know of) and didn't include. What did he want to do with Mach Rider, Balloon Fighter, the Wrestler, Dixie Kong, Sukapon... and couldn't he do that today? I wonder how many of the characters in Ultimate Sakurai actually chose, even in base. The only one I believe he would have chosen personally, in the entire roster of newcomers, is Joker.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've played SMRPG and every other Mario RPG for that matter.

Timed hits make the battles more engaging, but I never felt like they were so crucial to the games that they needed to be represented in an actual Smash moveset. Geno, Paper Mario, or whatever Mario and Luigi character people want don't need timed hits to make them special. There's plenty of other material to work with that would make for an interesting and unique moveset. There's no need to force in an admittedly small part of the gameplay and overcomplicate the character. Feels like forcing a gimmick into a moveset for the heck of it.

That's just my opinion though. The only characters I'd feel comfortable seeing with a gimmick like that are the ones related to music and rhythms.
I disagree for Super Mario RPG. Without the timing mechanic, it's just a normal RPG. It's a well designed RPG with character abilities that work together, but the timing mechanic is the only unique system it has (aside from the overworld), and since it's a mechanic that's already baked into Geno's abilities, I see no reason to remove it. Well, aside from his normal attacks because timing button presses on start lag for quick attacks is just...no.

I agree on Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi though. Paper Mario in particular has a lot of potential mechanics to draw from (and more come each game because consistency is the devil), and Mario & Luigi are focused on the two brothers working together, which is automatically the main mechanic that game would get. I think you could still reference it here and there like having the hammer head fall off if you charge Mario & Luigi's Forward Smash for too long (charging it that long is a bad idea anyway), but I wouldn't put an emphasis on it like I would for Super Mario RPG.

The idea of hitting a button when landing an attack isn't in Smash yet, which is the basis of a timed hit mechanic
Then I'll call it something else because that's generally not what I'm talking about.

Oh people love Azrael, but BBTag changed his Weak Point mechanic from setting up weak points on opponents to tapping the button when landing the hit. This was done to simplify the mechanic as BBTag does that a lot but it ironically made it harder to execute
Ah, well that makes sense.

I didn't realize that Mystery Dungeon, itself, was a series- I thought the conversation was just about Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Knowledge!
According to Wikipedia, there's even more to it than that to the point I would consider it more of a genre than anything else.

So like, the first game is actually a Dragon Quest spin-off, and was followed up by a sequel with original characters called Mystery Dungeon 2: Shiren the Wanderer, which is what the main series seems to be now. Throughout the entire series, the games have been handed of to various IPs, such as Tower of Druaga, Pokémon, Etrian Odyssey, and more. It's pretty wild honestly.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly, I question how much Smash actually helped FE considering that series was on death's doors before Awakening came a long.

I won't deny Smash gave it exposure in the west, but really, it was Awakening that revitalized the series, not Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wonder how many of the characters in Ultimate Sakurai actually chose, even in base. The only one I believe he would have chosen personally, in the entire roster of newcomers, is Joker.
Didn't Sakurai explicitly make public how he chose certain newcomers, including but not limited to Incineroar?

I know he's a fan of P5 but it's getting a little ridiculous how some people act like it's the only game he ever played.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Terry is the one character in FP1 that absolutely feels like a passion pick on Sakurai's part.

I wonder if Nintendo selected Terry with the knowledge that Sakurai was a big SNK fan and they wanted to give him a freebie pick.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Didn't Sakurai explicitly make public how he chose certain newcomers, including but not limited to Incineroar?

I know he's a fan of P5 but it's getting a little ridiculous how some people act like it's the only game he ever played.
Considering that newcomers are on the project plan, I'd imagine all base roster characters are picked by Sakurai since he's the one making the project plan.

As for the DLC, I think Nintendo comes up with categories, and Sakurai picks from these categories. For example, Min Min was a result of a request for an ARMS character, and Sakurai let Yabuki pick which one specifically, and Byleth was a result of a request for a character from a shiny new game, and the game picked just so happened to be Fire Emblem: Three Houses, where Byleth was the character pick that made the most sense considering the game's premise and such.

I don't think there are any cases where a character is picked specifically for Sakurai.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Terry is the one character in FP1 that absolutely feels like a passion pick on Sakurai's part.

I wonder if Nintendo selected Terry with the knowledge that Sakurai was a big SNK fan and they wanted to give him a freebie pick.
It's all Sakurai's fault that SNK guest stars were a thing in several fighting games already. Totally.

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
This is interesting to me because I see Pokemon Mystery Dungeon a fair bit, but I don't ever see support for og Mystery Dungeon with Shiren the Wanderer.

I'd actually be down for that.
Yesterday I saw that Shiren the Wanderer 5 is coming to Steam and Switch.
I'm a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fan and I said many times that Grovyle is one of my most wanted. But besides PMD, I never played other games from the Mystery Dungeon series and I might want to try Shiren.

Never played Danganronpa either. Not my cup of tea tbh, but it looks good. So maybe one day... who knows!

osby

Smash Obsessed

That's just me but I don't see Nintendo adding a character to their DLC lineup just to throw Sakurai a bone.

As far as we know, he already chose the base roster mostly by himself and individual DLC packs probably need more merits than being director's favorite and nothing more.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Hey remember when people kept saying this about Joker's inclusion? Where does the time go as that seems long forgotten

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Of course, there is one more series that deserves credit.

View attachment 291716
I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Advance Wars hadn't released first in America on September 10, 2001. I still deeply feel that they could have done pretty darn well in Japan, if they had been given a chance to play them on the GBA.

I do know the Wars series predates the GBA in JP, but those games are pretty sketch and the GBA is a refined version with much better production values and actual aesthetics, story and character design.

I think that if the game releases worldwide on September 10, 2001, maybe the franchise is much bigger in Japan, maybe IS doesn't pander to the west in Days of Ruin, maybe they don't commission Battalion Wars, maybe it's a bigger part of Brawl, maybe Sakurai pays more mind to it... maybe it has a playable character by now.

SKX31

Smash Master

Not entirely sure that's the only reason. SNK's been crossover happy as hell after they were bought out in 2015, they ported over a large chunk of their library to the Switch early, and SNK's popularity is heavily concentrated in Japan / LatAm / China. LatAm's a region Nintendo has recently stepped up their presence in, and China's one of the main pieces of the East Asian region. A region that Nintendo is heavily targeting for expansion.

There are a couple bonuses from Nintendo's PoV: SNK's stuff is really cheap to license (the buyout sum was $63.5 Million for 80 % of SNK, which is likely lower than say ATLUS or Rareware are valued at) and thus gets a lot of content into one Challenger Pack for very little.

It's all Sakurai's fault that SNK guest stars were a thing in several fighting games already. Totally.
I should also note Honor of Kings (Tencent's mobile LoL, Arena of Valor outside of China) where Mai, Nakoruru and Ukyou Tachibana are fully playable... and Haohmaru is a costume for that game's Miyamoto Musashi. #NotMakingThisUpISwear. Oh and HoK recently announced a crazy 100 Million strong daily playerbase. (I'm mentioning this partly because a HoK character recently crossed over into SamSho).

That's just me but I don't see Nintendo adding a character to their DLC lineup just to throw Sakurai a bone.

As far as we know, he already chose the base roster mostly by himself and individual DLC packs probably need more merits than being director's favorite and nothing more.
It feels likely to me that Sakurai + his team and Furukawa + other execs / Nintendo's lawyers closely collab to hash out as many details of characters as they can, and approach third parties (or Nintendo's other devs in case of first / second parties) to start the negotiating process. It's evidently a really intricate and ardous process, so they likely get as many details through as possible before commiting to a character as DLC.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
He didn't. To paraphrase, he said something along the lines of "you'd think we'd add Spring Man because he's the protagonist right? But according to Yabuki, all ARMS characters are protagonists, so we picked Min Min."

Spring Man was acknowledged as the obvious choice, but it was never stated that he or Ribbon Girl were ever considered due to their mascot status.
I went back and watched it, and you're right. It looks like I remembered wrong. Still, that would've been a great opportunity to say something like, "Well Spring Man is an Assist Trophy, so that wouldn't have worked..." It's hard for me to say that ATs are completely off the table until something is confirmed like that.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Hey remember when people kept saying this about Joker's inclusion? Where does the time go as that seems long forgotten
Yeah but at least Joker was a new and hip character from a recent breakout hit game in 2017. Byleth was from a new Nintendo game they were obviously wanting to push, Dragon Quest needs no explanation and Banjo & Kazooie were most likely just a by-product of the ongoing negiotations to getting Minecraft Steve in Smash, done so mainly because of fan demand.

I like Terry but out of the five characters in the first pass, his inclusion has always been the weirdest to me. I just think it's an odd thought that Nintendo suits actually selected him.

Last edited:
Yesterday I saw that Shiren the Wanderer 5 is coming to Steam and Switch.
I'm a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fan and I said many times that Grovyle is one of my most wanted. But besides PMD, I never played other games from the Mystery Dungeon series and I might want to try Shiren.
I'm in a similar boat. I'm definitely trying it out. I will warn you that apparently Shiren the Wanderer is harder than PMD. I don't know how, but it's something I've seen consistently. That makes me more interested, but I could see it turning some people off if they were looking for a more chill experience.

I kinda want to see a samurai chuck a rock in Smash.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah but at least Joker was a new and hip character from a recent breakout hit game in 2017. Byleth was from a new Nintendo game they were obviously wanting to push, Dragon Quest needs no explanation and Banjo & Kazooie were most likely just a by-product of the ongoing negiotations to getting Minecraft Steve in Smash, done so mainly because of fan demand.

I like Terry but out of the five characters in the first pass, his inclusion has always been the weirdest to me. I just think it's an odd thought that Nintendo suits actually selected him.
I remember very early in the Switch lifetime, there was a lot of SNK stuff on the eshop. Those retro games where for a good price and they sold pretty well. The SNK 40th anniversary collection was even Switch exclusive for some time. SNK heroine release on Switch in 2019 at the same time as on ps4 and Samurai showdown 2019 also got a switch port. SNK was surprisingly very active on the Switch, so maybe Nintendo thought to add a character from them.

I remember very early in the Switch lifetime, there was a lot of SNK stuff on the eshop. Those retro games where for a good price and they sold pretty well. The SNK 40th anniversary collection was even Switch exclusive for some time. SNK heroine release on Switch in 2019 at the same time as on ps4 and Samurai showdown 2019 also got a switch port. SNK was surprisingly very active on the Switch, so maybe Nintendo thought to add a character from them.
I 100% think this is how Terry's inclusion happened. There's a good possibility that Sakurai chose Terry specifically, but was given the guideline "someone from SNK." In that case it would have been a collaborative choice that could have gone to someone like Kyo or Haohmaru or a Metal Slug character if Sakurai hadn't been involved in the decision. We'd still be getting SNK, though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I mean, we got Sakurai talk.
I'm not saying he didnt want the other characters (and he for sure wanted a grappler), but I do think that he wouldnt have personally chosen any of the roster, based on what he has said in the past, except for Joker.

I don't know how what I said created, "some people act like its the only game he ever played." We all know he plays hundreds of games a year.

I still don't see the point of Terry being in that game.
insert that ass slapping meme

Unrelated; In my mind, Terry is absolutely bisexual.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
What is everyone thinking about a Monster Hunter rep lately? I'm still very surprised by that Nintendo focused Monster Hunter direct. I looked at the Direct archive, and that's the only third party franchise to have a Nintendo direct in at least 8 years. Not sure if there was ever another one. Obviously we have Rathalos, but I feel like we could easily get more.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
What is everyone thinking about a Monster Hunter rep lately? I'm still very surprised by that Nintendo focused Monster Hunter direct. I looked at the Direct archive, and that's the only third party franchise to have a Nintendo direct in at least 8 years. Not sure if there was ever another one. Obviously we have Rathalos, but I feel like we could easily get more.
I don't think them having a new game for Switch makes them much more likely than they already were. But they always had a good chance after ARMS. Alongside Dante as the most likely Capcom rep.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
By the time I woke up, discussion's already moved on from the rhythm thing, but...

I don't think you can just slap timed hits on a rhythm game character and say that at all feels the same as actually being rhythm-based. I can accept that the idea I presented is screwy and unfeasible, sure; but Alolan Whip is not going to make me feel like I'm playing a rhythm game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would prefer a character from Resident Evil- just because it's a bigger franchise, and an untapped genre.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if Advance Wars hadn't released first in America on September 10, 2001. I still deeply feel that they could have done pretty darn well in Japan, if they had been given a chance to play them on the GBA.
As far as the US goes, that's some pretty ****ty luck. I didn't know this factoid. No wonder I didn't know of it for years.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think this thread has come to the conclusion that a Hunter is a frontrunner for Capcom and Smash as a whole, up there with Dante. That being said, there hasn't been much new stuff in the context of Smash, so we haven't gotten to discuss it much lately.

I'm of the opinion that Monster Hunter makes a lot of sense in the same way that Dragon Quest made a lot of sense, but it may just not happen.

It's really a 50/50 situation for me. Is Rathalos all Nintendo/Capcom want for Smash, or would they like more? It's not like there are a ton of issues keeping it from happening outside that question. I will say I don't think Rise would be the main reason for the character, though it could have some influence on a potential moveset. The series already has a good presence on Nintendo platforms and is well loved worldwide. It checks all the boxes except being completely absent in Smash.

I don't know that I expect Monster Hunter to show up in the DLC, but it wouldn't surprise me, either.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm of the opinion that Monster Hunter makes a lot of sense in the same way that Dragon Quest made a lot of sense, but it may just not happen.

It's really a 50/50 situation for me. Is Rathalos all Nintendo/Capcom want for Smash, or would they like more? It's not like there are a ton of issues keeping it from happening outside that question. I will say I don't think Rise would be the main reason for the character, though it could have some influence on a potential moveset. The series already has a good presence on Nintendo platforms and is well loved worldwide. It checks all the boxes except being completely absent in Smash.

I don't know that I expect Monster Hunter to show up in the DLC, but it wouldn't surprise me, either.
Yeah, I don't think Rise is a main reason so much as a result of Monster Hunter's closeness to Nintendo. It's not a new point in their favor so much as a reiteration and strengthening of a previous point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom