• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
here it is,
Sounds like a cool stage, but I'm not sure why it's 8 Player Smash only. I personally think that all stages should be playable with whatever ruleset or number of players you want, so that would be the only thing I'd change.

I think she's a character that suffers from a similar affliction as Toad. She has things she can do, but very little of that is unique to her. The only really unique thing I can think of is acting to the rhythm, which would only be a detriment.

The only thing I can really think of is that she could do something that involves collecting new equipment. Maybe after hitting opponents a certain amount they would drop a random piece of equipment that would change how her moveset works if she chooses to pick it up. My main problem with that is that it feels more like a generic rogue-like mechanic than a Cadence ability. You could do the same thing for, say, Enter the Gungeon.
Actually, Toad has a few things that he could do that other Mario characters can also do, but don't in the form of power ups. I've also seen a Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker specific moveset that was pretty unique, so I'm not convinced that the character has nothing to offer.

But anyway, I agree on the rouguelike thing. Pretty much all roguelike characters could have some sort of mechanic like this, so you'd really have to focus on what makes them special. The Binding of Isaac would combine his items for really dumb effects from attacks that are worse than what you start with to horrifying death beams, Slay the Spire would focus on thinking on your feet and using different card effects to combo and stuff, and Crypt of the Necrodancer would need a rhythm mechanic.

We can't exactly force Cadence to move to the beat because that'd cause too many problems, and I'm not sure what could be done instead, but I have seen a rhythm mechanic pulled off in a way that doesn't make things terrible (EDIT: via a Rivals of Aether workshop character), so I do have faith that it can work.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
-Assists already have Models to Re-Use within the Game Itself. Characters like Skull Kid, Isaac, and Bomberman have their AT Models Re-Purposed into Costumes. And while not an Assist, Chrom uses his Final Smash Model as his Playable Character model.
This is unfortunately not the case, as Assist Trophy models are not as high in quality as fighter models, and could really only be used as a starting point at best.

EDIT: Still more than other characters, but you couldn't just use the existing models as is.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'd say something about how Min Min was chosen on her own merits and not because Spring Man as off the table, but evidently it'll go nowhere. Just like the last time we debated ATs, and the time before that, and the time before that...
I often feel like people bring up Spring Man on the grounds of his AT status. They want something to prove about what fighters are chosen. I want to set the record that this is not me. What's done is done and Min Min is the fighter we got. I don't care why or how.

Whenever I defend Spring Man its just to defend the character himself. It has nothing to do with Smash.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I often feel like people bring up Spring Man on the grounds of his AT status. They want something to prove about what fighters are chosen. I want to set the record that this is not me. What's done is done and Min Min is the fighter we got. I don't care why or how.

Whenever I defend Spring Man its just to defend the character himself. It has nothing to do with Smash.
I wasn't singling out anyone or their opinions, it's just that we've gone over this topic a hundred times and most of the time no opinions are changed. Our beliefs on the matter seem to be set in stone until something changes-And who knows when that will be-So it all just feels circular and repetitive.

7NATOR

Smash Master
5 years ago...

Since Cloud was seen as a Never-Ever character before he Got in, How did Smashboards take it, Especially since I believe he didn't even have a Support thread on here since, Why bother if he's not happening right

This is unfortunately not the case, as Assist Trophy models are not as high in quality as fighter models, and could really only be used as a starting point at best.

EDIT: Still more than other characters, but you couldn't just use the existing models as is.
I know they aren't as High quality as Actual Fighter Models, but I did mean as a good starting point. Bomberman is the best Example since his Mii Costume is actually Fully Modeled like with Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy. They Smoothed out the Model and Added more Polygons, So I could see the same thing being done If we were to have an Full On Playable character

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Chrom still appears in Robin’s FS and victory screens though so the butt monkey status never left him lmao
What's so shameful about helping a friend in need despite that not being his role anymore? Chrom is a good man and we should celebrate such display of kindness :smash:
And forgiveness because robin left him to die in smash4

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What's so shameful about helping a friend in need despite that not being his role anymore? Chrom is a good man and we should celebrate such display of kindness :smash:
And forgiveness because robin left him to die in smash4
And lunacy because he'll also beat himself and/or his daughter up.

kylexv

Smash Master
Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

7NATOR

Smash Master
I only had Tr4sh 3DS so I was cool with it then, but now it's kind of... disappointing that the music library hasn't changed.
Maybe if We Get Sephiroth We could finally get more than 2 FF7 Songs

And on that note, Since there are new Renditions of the Songs in FF7 Remake, and New Art to use, Is it possible perhaps getting the Remixes in Smash would be easier than getting the Og Songs, or is it the Same Legal Hell all the way?

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
Seriously, if a rhythm game character got in Smash, how would they work? HOW WOULD THEIR STAGE WORK?? Will the stage hazards go along with the beat? Will the music pause during pause menus and cutscene final smashes??

D

Deleted member

Seriously, if a rhythm game character got in Smash, how would they work? HOW WOULD THEIR STAGE WORK?? Will the stage hazards go along with the beat? Will the music pause during pause menus and cutscene final smashes??
I would imagine the rhythm wouldn’t be dependent on the stage BGM, and instead be attack dependent. Kind of like the timed button press gimmick Geno movesets throw out there but with an emphasis on the SFX.

Kikio4546

Smash Cadet
I would imagine the rhythm wouldn’t be dependent on the stage BGM, and instead be attack dependent. Kind of like the timed button press gimmick Geno movesets throw out there but with an emphasis on the SFX.
True... if the fighter (and the stage) were dependent on BGM, imagine the music counterpicks... IMAGINE ENVIRONMENTAL NOISES

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Speaking of timed button presses, I never really understood why that was a popular gimmick brought up for Geno. Pressing buttons at a specific moment during an attack is not a very uncommon thing for RPGs.

Something like that seems better suited for Rhythm Heaven, a entire series that revolves around timed button presses.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Oh **** we're talking about rhythm-based characters? Good thing I finished this just now. Now I'll just need to finish the moveset.

Fighter pass for Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven. Enjoy!

To those who don't know, Rhythm Heaven's great. Pretty easy to get into, but it still offers challenges here and there. It's a shame that it never got a fighter, especially since it does seem like it really was going to happen in 4 with the scrapped series icon and Sneaky Spirit Smash Run ordeal and all that. It's also pretty tragic to see the state of Rhythm Heaven demand within the Smash fanbase. After having the Chorus Kids in two notorious "leaks," you would think a Rhythm Heaven character would be about as notable as a demand as at least Isaac at this point, but that doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately.

As for why I chose Joe specifically as the Rhythm Heaven character, it's mostly personal preference. That doesn't mean Joe doesn't have any merits for being included over other candidates like the Chorus Kids and the Tap Trial Girl. Joe has appeared in every game of the Rhythm Heaven series and even served as the first true minigame in the series. He's definitely a mascot for the series and, being a martial artist, wouldn't be hard to adapt as a fighter. Not to say that Rhythm Heaven's other options wouldn't be good, but Joe is the option I lean towards to the most.

At first I was going to use Rhythm Heaven as the stage, but then I saw this suggested as a stage in the comments to some videos while looking up the music I listed. Needless to say, I really liked the idea.

Fruit Basket was introduced in Megamix, and its track is even one of 3 Rhythm Heaven songs currently in the game. In this minigame, the street bounces fruit coming out of pipes into nearby hoops.

In Smash, the fighters would fight on the road as it's sleeping. Much like Donkey Kong in 75m, the road won't be active all the time and will only occassionally interrupt the fight. When it does wake up, the lightbulbs on the basketball hoops will light up to alert the players of the incoming chaos. Fruit will start coming out of the pipes and will be launched by the road if it reaches the middle, along with any unlucky fighters near it. The fruit won't hit the players, but it can still be attacked to either stop the road from launching the fruit or to accelerate the process and get the road to launch it faster. Once the lights on the hoops turn off, the road will go back to sleep.

Obligatory cameos: the road will have several dreams while sleeping that feature minigames from the series like Glee Club.

Fortunately enough, the Rhythm Heaven spirits that are in Smash include some of the more popular characters from Rhythm Heaven, with nearly all of them even having battles. I wanted to make things even between the four games, so I gave each four spirits. Anyway, onto the actual battles now, with some flavor text to boot.

Fortunately for me, the Wandering Samurai is the only existing spirit without a battle so he's the only old one I have to come up with a battle for.

The Wandering Samurai

Type: Attack
Class: Advanced
Slots: 2
Ability: Enhanceable
Fighter/Stage: :ultchrom: in Omega Form Bridge of Eldin
Conditions:
  • Hostile assist trophies (Takamaru) will appear
  • The enemy favors side special attacks
This one should be simple enough. Takamaru shows off how much of a samurai battle this is. Chrom constantly using Dancing Blade references the Samurai's whirldwind slice.

Now for the new ones.

Sneaky Spirits

Type: Shield (Fight)/Support
Class: Novice
Slots: 1
Ability: Braking Ability+
Fighter/Stage: 4 :ultpiranha:'s in Onette
Conditions:
  • Timed battle
  • The enemy will occassionally be invisible
These spirits make a return from Smash Run as spirits! Get them before time runs out without losing track of where they are.

Tap Trial Dancers

Type: Grab (Battle)/Support
Class: Legend
Ability: Foot Attack +++
Fighter/Stage: :ultpeach: and 2 :ultdiddy:'s in Omega Form Fruit Basket
Conditions:
  • Only certain Pokemon (Alolan Exeggutor) will emerge from Poke Balls
  • The enemies' kicks and knee strikes have increased power
  • High gravity
The Tap Trial girl and monkeys will serve as the legend spirit for Rhythm Heaven. Even the giraffe joins the fray through Alolan Exeggutor.

The Blue Birds

Slots: 3
Ability: None
Fighter/Stage: 1 Small :ultfalco: and 3 :ultduckhunt:'s in Battlefield Shadow Moses Island
Conditions:
  • Defeat the main fighter to win
  • The enemies favor tilt attacks
You might only have to take out Captain Blue Bird to win this fight, but the Blue Birds' pecking training won't be for nothing as they'll be relentlessly protecting their captain.

Airboarders

Type: Defense (Battle)/Support
Ability: Jump +
Fighter/Stage: 3 :ultfalcon:'s in Big Blue
Conditions:
  • The enemies can deal damage by dashing into you
  • The enemies deals damage when falling
Watch for the Airboarders as they'll be charging at you from all angles. Big Blue's constant movement will probably not help matters either.

Marshal, Cam, and Miss Ribbon

Type: Neutral
Class: Ace
Fighter/Stage: :ultvillager:, :ultgnw:, and :ultjigglypuff: in Fountain of Dreams
Conditions:
  • Villager loves to jump
  • Mr. Game and Watch favors side special
The mascots of Fever will provide a hectic battle as Marshal constantly hops around while Cam and Miss Ribbon try to take you out, with Cam in particular having the chance to take you out with a 9.

Huebirds of Happiness

Type: Attack (Battle)/Support
Ability: Impact Run
Fighter/Stage: 4 :ultfalco:'s in Golden Plains
Conditions:
  • Take your strongest team into this no-frills battle
Tweet, twe-twe-tweet, twee-tweet, SQUAWK!

Translator Tom and Martian

Type: Grab
Fighter/Stage: :ultsamus: and :ultkirby: in Lylat Cruise
Conditions:
  • Gravity is low
How fortunate that the Martian won't be introducing you to its leader in this spirit battle. Easy and simple battle.

Kitties!

Ability: Lightweight
Fighter/Stage: 3 :ultincineroar:'s in Pictochat
Conditions:
  • The enemies favor special attacks
  • The enemies love to taunt
These fellas are too focused on their dance to be fighting you. Don' get too close to them while they're spinning, though.

Beary

Ability: Stats after Eating++
Fighter/Stage: :ultbanjokazooie: in Dreamland
Conditions:
  • Items are attracted to the enemy
  • The enemy has increased attack after eating
  • Certain items will appear in large numbers
Poor Beary is eating his sorrows during this battle. ): Wake him up from this nightmare.

And that's it for the spirits. While there are some missing characters I could've included (Clappy Trio, the Lockstep guys, MC Adore, etc.) I feel like these characters make for enough fun references and battles.

It's a rhythm game, of course the music list will be massive. It's basically nearly the entire appeal of the series, aside from the silly premises for the minigames, of course. I'm just gonna link all the songs I listed in here. The ones marked with asterisks are the ones I'd like to see get remixes. Give a listen to a couple if you have the time, or play the games. Whichever one you're more comfortable with.

This is easily the dumbest classic mode I've come up with so far. You'd probably expect something related to music or of the sorts here, but nah. I already had a music themed classic mode with Toxtricity so I wanted something else. I looked into Tibby's (Megamix's protagonist) totally original catchphrase instead: Let's we go, amigo! Karate Joe fights Mario and several of his look-alikes or those inspired by him, culminating into a battle against Giga Bowser. Not the direction most would go with but it's fine enough for me.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Speaking of timed button presses, I never really understood why that was a popular gimmick brought up for Geno. Pressing buttons at a specific moment during an attack is not a very uncommon thing for RPGs.

Something like that seems better suited for Rhythm Heaven, a entire series that revolves around timed button presses.
Because it was a mechanic from SMRPG. Only other RPGs I can think of with that gimmick are every other Mario RPG and Final Fantasy 8. It's still a bad gimmick that doesn't work for fighting games but it's easy to see why it became a popular suggestion

Edit: Just remembered Mother 3's basic attacks were rhythm based

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I always figured, if they added a rhythm game character and really wanted them to actually go with the rhythm (which they probably will. considering the lengths they've gone to with other fighters recently), the music that could play could be limited to a specific subset of songs that are all 4/4 and the same BPM. Maybe they could slightly speed up or slow down some songs are, like, 2 BPM off. Even with that, though, such a fighter would probably have to include a lot of remixed music - possibly from series other than their own. (I mean, if this is how we have to get more Final Fantasy music, I'll take it. :p)

It'd be a bit of an undertaking, but I think that's the only way to keep a rhythm-based fighter balanced while still feeling... y'know, musical. Considering they were willing to rework every stage in the game for Steve's blocks, I don't think it'd be impossible.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I always figured, if they added a rhythm game character and really wanted them to actually go with the rhythm (which they probably will. considering the lengths they've gone to with other fighters recently), the music that could play could be limited to a specific subset of songs that are all 4/4 and the same BPM. Maybe they could slightly speed up or slow down some songs are, like, 2 BPM off. Even with that, though, such a fighter would probably have to include a lot of remixed music - possibly from series other than their own. (I mean, if this is how we have to get more Final Fantasy music, I'll take it. :p)

It'd be a bit of an undertaking, but I think that's the only way to keep a rhythm-based fighter balanced while still feeling... y'know, musical. Considering they were willing to rework every stage in the game for Steve's blocks, I don't think it'd be impossible.
So what happens when you pick a song that wouldn't work as stages and therefore songs are chosen first? It's waaaaaay too much hassle and including timed hits while giving audio cues from the fighters gets the same point across. Sakurai also wanted to have the Minecraft stage be able to copy Minecraft worlds players could insert themselves before realizing it wouldn't be able to work so we know he's willing to compromise on his vision for the sake of functionality

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've played SMRPG and every other Mario RPG for that matter.

Timed hits make the battles more engaging, but I never felt like they were so crucial to the games that they needed to be represented in an actual Smash moveset. Geno, Paper Mario, or whatever Mario and Luigi character people want don't need timed hits to make them special. There's plenty of other material to work with that would make for an interesting and unique moveset. There's no need to force in an admittedly small part of the gameplay and overcomplicate the character. Feels like forcing a gimmick into a moveset for the heck of it.

That's just my opinion though. The only characters I'd feel comfortable seeing with a gimmick like that are the ones related to music and rhythms.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Deep Breathing. Apparently it's all about fighters who utilize their mouth in any form for a move, including exhaling in Wii Fit Trainer's case.
...that doesn't really make sense though.
I have to check the animation, wherein I don't believe her mouth opens, but generally in yoga, a deep inhale is through the nose.
(and where is K.Rool?)

I wasn't talking about who deserves to be in Smash, or who is the lead, or who the future ARMS mascot is.

You said Spring Man wasn't important. I'm making a case that this is empirically false. That is all.
Okay- yes. I did say that. And while I think it's taken out of context, I'll still agree. Spring Man is not the mascot or protagonist, but he is important to ARMS. There are only 10 characters, they're all important, and Spring Man is more important than many of them. He's just not the face of the series.
I think Mystery Dungeon got obscured by it's spin-off series...
What's the spinoff of Mystery Dungeon??

He didn't. To paraphrase, he said something along the lines of "you'd think we'd add Spring Man because he's the protagonist right? But according to Yabuki, all ARMS characters are protagonists, so we picked Min Min."

Spring Man was acknowledged as the obvious choice, but it was never stated that he or Ribbon Girl were ever considered due to their mascot status.
And we are back to being on the box makes you a mascot. Gotta love all the mascots of previous games-
Animal Crossing: Apollo, Purple Mouse, Pink Animal, The Art and Fishing guys, Tom, his nephews, Isabelle, and three villagers.
Tekken: King, Anna, and the three Mishima's.
...yeah this isn't a fun game but it can continue.

...I'm not going to rewatch all of the presentation, but I do recall something about Spring Man being considered.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh **** we're talking about rhythm-based characters? Good thing I finished this just now. Now I'll just need to finish the moveset.

Fighter pass for Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven. Enjoy!

To those who don't know, Rhythm Heaven's great. Pretty easy to get into, but it still offers challenges here and there. It's a shame that it never got a fighter, especially since it does seem like it really was going to happen in 4 with the scrapped series icon and Sneaky Spirit Smash Run ordeal and all that. It's also pretty tragic to see the state of Rhythm Heaven demand within the Smash fanbase. After having the Chorus Kids in two notorious "leaks," you would think a Rhythm Heaven character would be about as notable as a demand as at least Isaac at this point, but that doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately.

As for why I chose Joe specifically as the Rhythm Heaven character, it's mostly personal preference. That doesn't mean Joe doesn't have any merits for being included over other candidates like the Chorus Kids and the Tap Trial Girl. Joe has appeared in every game of the Rhythm Heaven series and even served as the first true minigame in the series. He's definitely a mascot for the series and, being a martial artist, wouldn't be hard to adapt as a fighter. Not to say that Rhythm Heaven's other options wouldn't be good, but Joe is the option I lean towards to the most.

At first I was going to use Rhythm Heaven as the stage, but then I saw this suggested as a stage in the comments to some videos while looking up the music I listed. Needless to say, I really liked the idea.

Fruit Basket was introduced in Megamix, and its track is even one of 3 Rhythm Heaven songs currently in the game. In this minigame, the street bounces fruit coming out of pipes into nearby hoops.

In Smash, the fighters would fight on the road as it's sleeping. Much like Donkey Kong in 75m, the road won't be active all the time and will only occassionally interrupt the fight. When it does wake up, the lightbulbs on the basketball hoops will light up to alert the players of the incoming chaos. Fruit will start coming out of the pipes and will be launched by the road if it reaches the middle, along with any unlucky fighters near it. The fruit won't hit the players, but it can still be attacked to either stop the road from launching the fruit or to accelerate the process and get the road to launch it faster. Once the lights on the hoops turn off, the road will go back to sleep.

Obligatory cameos: the road will have several dreams while sleeping that feature minigames from the series like Glee Club.

Fortunately enough, the Rhythm Heaven spirits that are in Smash include some of the more popular characters from Rhythm Heaven, with nearly all of them even having battles. I wanted to make things even between the four games, so I gave each four spirits. Anyway, onto the actual battles now, with some flavor text to boot.

Fortunately for me, the Wandering Samurai is the only existing spirit without a battle so he's the only old one I have to come up with a battle for.

The Wandering Samurai

Ability: Enhanceable
Fighter/Stage: :ultchrom: in Omega Form Bridge of Eldin
Conditions:
  • Hostile assist trophies (Takamaru) will appear
  • The enemy favors side special attacks
This one should be simple enough. Takamaru shows off how much of a samurai battle this is. Chrom constantly using Dancing Blade references the Samurai's whirldwind slice.

Now for the new ones.

Sneaky Spirits

Type: Shield (Fight)/Support
Ability: Braking Ability+
Fighter/Stage: 4 :ultpiranha:'s in Onette
Conditions:
  • Timed battle
  • The enemy will occassionally be invisible
These spirits make a return from Smash Run as spirits! Get them before time runs out without losing track of where they are.

Tap Trial Dancers

Class: Legend
Ability: Foot Attack +++
Fighter/Stage: :ultpeach: and 2 :ultdiddy:'s in Omega Form Fruit Basket
Conditions:
  • Only certain Pokemon (Alolan Exeggutor) will emerge from Poke Balls
  • The enemies' kicks and knee strikes have increased power
  • High gravity
The Tap Trial girl and monkeys will serve as the legend spirit for Rhythm Heaven. Even the giraffe joins the fray through Alolan Exeggutor.

The Blue Birds

Fighter/Stage: 1 Small :ultfalco: and 3 :ultduckhunt:'s in Battlefield Shadow Moses Island
Conditions:
  • The enemies favor tilt attacks
You might only have to take out Captain Blue Bird to win this fight, but the Blue Birds' pecking training won't be for nothing as they'll be relentlessly protecting their captain.

Airboarders

Ability: Jump +
Fighter/Stage: 3 :ultfalcon:'s in Big Blue
Conditions:
  • The enemies can deal damage by dashing into you
  • The enemies deals damage when falling
Watch for the Airboarders as they'll be charging at you from all angles. Big Blue's constant movement will probably not help matters either.

Marshal, Cam, and Miss Ribbon

Type: Neutral
Fighter/Stage: :ultvillager:, :ultgnw:, and :ultjigglypuff: in Fountain of Dreams
Conditions:
  • Villager loves to jump
  • Mr. Game and Watch favors side special
The mascots of Fever will provide a hectic battle as Marshal constantly hops around while Cam and Miss Ribbon try to take you out, with Cam in particular having the chance to take you out with a 9.

Huebirds of Happiness

Type: Attack (Battle)/Support
Ability: Impact Run
Fighter/Stage: 4 :ultfalco:'s in Golden Plains
Conditions:
  • Take your strongest team into this no-frills battle
Tweet, twe-twe-tweet, twee-tweet, SQUAWK!

Translator Tom and Martian

Type: Grab
Fighter/Stage: :ultsamus: and :ultkirby: in Lylat Cruise
Conditions:
  • Gravity is low
How fortunate that the Martian won't be introducing you to its leader in this spirit battle. Easy and simple battle.

Kitties!

Ability: Lightweight
Fighter/Stage: 3 :ultincineroar:'s in Pictochat
Conditions:
  • The enemies favor special attacks
  • The enemies love to taunt
These fellas are too focused on their dance to be fighting you. Don' get too close to them while they're spinning, though.

Beary

Ability: Stats after Eating++
Fighter/Stage: :ultbanjokazooie: in Dreamland
Conditions:
  • Items are attracted to the enemy
  • The enemy has increased attack after eating
  • Certain items will appear in large numbers
Poor Beary is eating his sorrows during this battle. ): Wake him up from this nightmare.

And that's it for the spirits. While there are some missing characters I could've included (Clappy Trio, the Lockstep guys, MC Adore, etc.) I feel like these characters make for enough fun references and battles.

It's a rhythm game, of course the music list will be massive. It's basically nearly the entire appeal of the series, aside from the silly premises for the minigames, of course. I'm just gonna link all the songs I listed in here. The ones marked with asterisks are the ones I'd like to see get remixes. Give a listen to a couple if you have the time, or play the games. Whichever one you're more comfortable with.

This is easily the dumbest classic mode I've come up with so far. You'd probably expect something related to music or of the sorts here, but nah. I already had a music themed classic mode with Toxtricity so I wanted something else. I looked into Tibby's (Megamix's protagonist) totally original catchphrase instead: Let's we go, amigo! Karate Joe fights Mario and several of his look-alikes or those inspired by him, culminating into a battle against Giga Bowser. Not the direction most would go with but it's fine enough for me.
Nice creation! I've been partial to getting rhythm heaven since the gematsu leak. I'm always fond of a new series getting in, but Rhythm Heaven is not just a fun artstyle, it's quite jovial, and makes me feel playful and free.

I'm not following. The rhythm gimmick would be reworked for only a specific subset of songs???

Honestly- there are just too many songs for them to all be reworked. Steve is from the top selling game of all time, and required all the stages. Any other character, lesser known, would need over ten times as many songs as stages... it just isn't feasible.

If they wanted to fit it to music, it could be done to the different time signatures, with a 4/4, a 3/4, etc- but even that could get muffled if there are songs in odd times that are complex, fractional, additive, etc. It would also be a character who is seriously unfriendly to anyone who is deaf, which would make the character and tournaments inaccessible to a huge number of people.

However, rhythm doesn't have to be tied to music. I believe Sakurai is creative enough to add the gimmick in a way to just make character fun. Multiple button presses/tripling input, playing to their own beat... I don't know, but I'm sure if there is a way it is feasible, Sakurai would find it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
However, rhythm doesn't have to be tied to music. I believe Sakurai is creative enough to add the gimmick in a way to just make character fun. Multiple button presses/tripling input, playing to their own beat... I don't know, but I'm sure if there is a way it is feasible, Sakurai would find it.
This. A rhythm based character just needs to have their own internal concept of rhythm. Imagine being able to delay parts of your attack by half a beat, for instance - huge mix-up potential, conditioning your foes to expect RAH-TAH-TAH-TAH---TAH and then hitting them RAH---TAH-TAH-TAH-TAH or something. Think Dancing Blade, only you can apply it to every move your character has.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom