• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The GAMEPLAY of MvC:I is quite literally the best it’s ever been in the entire series. Sending it over to ArcSys would just dumb it down if FighterZ and Strive are anything to go by.
MvCI is a ton of fun, it’s a shame that people can’t look past the ugly graphics & no X-Men. Marvel Games (not Disney as is commonly spread around) did that game dirty.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
MvCI is a ton of fun, it’s a shame that people can’t look past the ugly graphics & no X-Men. Marvel Games (not Disney as is commonly spread around) did that game dirty.
I expected no X-Men so I wasn’t too upset there

what I was upset about is no Phoenix Wright, no Deadpool, and also no obvious MCU choices like Loki since they wanted to reference the MCU so badly

at least we got Black Panther tho

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I expected no X-Men so I wasn’t too upset there

what I was upset about is no Phoenix Wright, no Deadpool, and also no obvious MCU choices like Loki since they wanted to reference the MCU so badly

at least we got Black Panther tho
That’s a good point. Though I’m sort of glad we didn’t get to see “realistic” Wright lmao

No Loki, Star-Lord, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Falcon or playable Groot is so odd. Especially Groot since he’s the type of visually weird character that almost defines the MvC series.

I'm sure Capcom had its fair share of dirty work as well considering it's likely that the roster was cut from 60 to 30 characters.
I think Capcom had budget issues that Marvel just didn’t care to help out at all. To get back to Smash, it’d be like if Nintendo didn’t help Namco at all with Ultimate’s budget.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It would help if they also had more newcomers before DLC to help compensate for the smaller, mutant-free roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I cannot believe the ARMS debate is still ongoing.

Director of ARMS: "Everyone is the protagonist!"
Randoms online: "Wait, that's illegal! You can't have more than one lead in my fighting game. Spring Man is on the box! He's on the BOOOOOOOOX!"
"Everyone is the protagonist!" does not make you not the mascot.

Besides, the discussion was more nuanced than that.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
"Everyone is the protagonist!" does not make you not the mascot.

Besides, the discussion was more nuanced than that.
So you're saying that Min Min is the mascot since she was the chosen crossover character for the game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Did people forget that ARMS has in game lore? That Spring Man is actually the 3rd generation to take that title and Spring Man is seen as a local hero? Did people forget that Dr. Coyle created a Springtron robot because she saw Spring Man as something special? Then there's Max Brass and his connection to Spring Man. The in-game artwork and lore drops hints that Max Brass might have been the original Spring Man especially since they have similar powers.

"But Spring Man is just the guy on the box!"

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The fact that Spring Stadium was chosen as the stage, of all the stages, even though Min Min was the character chosen tells me that had Spring Man not been an Assist Trophy already he probably would have been the one chosen.

It’s a big reason I’ve lost a lot of hope in mah boi Isaac.
True, but to be fair, CAPCOM has also dumbed down Street Fighter to some extent with V, so your point?
My point is that the gameplay of Marvel vs. Capcom is in more than capable hands. Switch hands would just cause a disconnect and would definitely lose the gameplay of MvC:I which is all around to be considered exceptional.

SFV was Pre-MvC:I too, later seasons of SFV are actually really damn good, if not as as SFIV. So I really don’t see how saying this was a point against my point?

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You Know, I Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai actually had intended either Min-Min or Ninjara to be the character Earlier on than we might expect

While ARMS and Xenoblade 2 Couldn't be considered for the Base Roster, I'm sure that while Development was going on, there was a Question of what ARMS character to choose if perhaps in some time DLC could accommodate the Series. Perhaps even before FP2 was Greenlit in June of 2019, The ARMS Characters had been decided for Months, perhaps sometime in 2018

Perhaps that's also why Spring Man was Made an Assist then and there, and also Got a Mii Costume (along with Ribbon Girl)

I Also don't want to bring up old leaks or Rumors, but Remember the Milk Botasu Leak that talked about Female Fighting Game Looking character with a Flying Weapon, which Min-Min does fit the Description. That rumor is kind of weird and Don't know how to feel about it. I also think the guy mentioned that we'd be seeing a character that's already in the Game in some form, or something

What this does for Assist Trophies Chances I don't know. If we did get an Assist Character I'd bet they were one of the Last ones decided on, If not the Last character, and Could also be why There's 6 Slots this time instead of 5.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Did people forget that ARMS has in game lore? That Spring Man is actually the 3rd generation to take that title and Spring Man is seen as a local hero? Did people forget that Dr. Coyle created a Springtron robot because she saw Spring Man as something special? Then there's Max Brass and his connection to Spring Man. The in-game artwork and lore drops hints that Max Brass might have been the original Spring Man especially since they have similar powers.

"But Spring Man is just the guy on the box!"
Problem is, a lot of that is just in the background.

The game really did need a more in-depth story mode to flesh all that out and make it front and center to the player.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Did people forget that ARMS has in game lore? That Spring Man is actually the 3rd generation to take that title and Spring Man is seen as a local hero?
Clearly Nintendo did Because what the actual hell happened with the Graphic Novel and why isn't it out yet!? it's been 3 years we've seen the first volume so it's not like it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
This whole Nonsense about ARMS mascots makes me really happy Simon and Richter made it over Alucard.

Regarding MVC, im sad to see the series likely go away forever, i wish Smash Bros kept its identity to be mostly Nintendo focused like how MVC pride itself on anything Marvel and Capcom could get their hands on, as Louie G. Louie G. said. Granted, that was lost with Infinite with Marvel becoming MCU pandering at its core, but it was still Marvel.

Im not sure in which direction the roster should take for the next game, i just hope that:

-Firebrand and/or Arthur make a playable appearance, i love how Capcom put them in (U)MVC3, and they are my favorite Capcom choices.

-An incarnation of the Blue Bomber makes it as a playable spot. It doesn't have to be Classic Mega Man, it can be X (which i would prefer), Volnutt, .EXE, Starforce. Zero will obviously come back, but i feel a Mega Man should be alongside him. Also i gonna be blunt, after Smash's Mega Man, i simply cannot go back to Mega Man's boring and unfaithful moveset (even though there are enough close-ranged powers for Mega Man to use, or do what Sakurai did with Spark Shot and re-imagine it as a Close Range attack) and i don't care about "MUH ALIENATED FANBASE", give Mega Man the retooling he deserves, i want that more in MVC than a Ganondorf retool in Smash at this point. Im not asking Smash Mega Man to be brought over, god no, but i would love to see more powerups implemented into Mega Man's moves and Super Moves, like Astro Crush for a Super, Break Dash for a charge attack, and so on) If we talk about bringing over other movesets into MVC, then i want Roll to return with her TVC moveset instead.

-Bring the "Giant" Characters Concept from TVC. Imagine fighting as a Monster from the Monster Hunter series. Obviously it would have to be scaled down, but something like how Gold Light and the Lost Planet robot looked in TVC should do the trick.

As for the Marvel Side, eh, as long as it has Spider Man, Wolverine, Venom, Thor, and is not MCU pandering at its core, it should be fine in my eyes.

No wait i have a pet peeve, BRING BACK CYCLOPS YOU COWARDS!

Also please do not give Marvel to Acrsys, as someone who enjoyed DBFZ, the game becomes stale as hell because of stuff like the Super Dash and becomes predictable and feels samey in almost every match despite the large character amount, and the fact that there are like 8 Gokus does not help matters at all. Arcsys would be better off doing a Shonen Jump crossover game instead (because with what i said, their Shonen Jump game would likely be better than almost every Shonen Jump crossover fighter out there by defeault)

MVC Infinite is like the New Super Mario Bros Wii/2/U Deluxe of Marvel vs Capcom. Great gameplay.............but everything else is ****ing sterile as hell. But at least NSMB looked presentable if a little bit bland, while Infinite looks ****ing horrid (and no, Fighting games should not look ugly, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom is decade old Wii game and its presentation looks FAR better than MVCI, and it's not because of graphical power)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Problem is, a lot of that is just in the background.

The game really did need a more in-depth story mode to flesh all that out and make it front and center to the player.
Waiting on that sequel to expand upon that.

It was one of the Switch's best-sellers at the time of it's release, and what with it making a mark on Smash, now. I feel like an "ARMS 2" is more of a question of when than if at this point.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
I Also don't want to bring up old leaks or Rumors, but Remember the Milk Botasu Leak that talked about Female Fighting Game Looking character with a Flying Weapon, which Min-Min does fit the Description. That rumor is kind of weird and Don't know how to feel about it. I also think the guy mentioned that we'd be seeing a character that's already in the Game in some form, or something
Anyone who had seen the model would have instantly known it was an ARMS character. You'd think the freaky spring arms would stand out a bit more than a projectile or whatever. It was just a bunch of bull****.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The fact that Spring Stadium was chosen as the stage, of all the stages, even though Min Min was the character chosen tells me that had Spring Man not been an Assist Trophy already he probably would have been the one chosen.

It’s a big reason I’ve lost a lot of hope in mah boi Isaac.
Didn't Sakurai mention that he was going to pick Ninjara, until the developers requested he add Min Min instead?

Then again, if Spring-Man weren't an Assist Trophy by that point, then it's possible that Spring Man would've taken priority and that Ninjara may not have even come to his mind. It calls into question whether or not Kosuke Yabuki would've personally requested Min Min by that point in time, too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's been clarified if her popularity at the time of the DLC decision-making process had anything to do with his request.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Y'know, after all is said and done, I think we'll see Spring Man make an appearance as a fighter in the next game thanks to multiple factors (Spring Stadium being Min Min's stage, Min Min being in at all).

That reminds me, considering the ahem "tepid" reactions to Assist Trophies in this game, what do you lot think will happen to them in the next? I know it's too early to be thinking about this sort of stuff, I just can't shake off the feeling that the concept as a whole may get the axe because of the drama.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Isn't Jin actually the main dude, though? I'm not too familiar with Tekken, and I know people like Heihachi a lot because he's the villain that makes the plot go, but I thought Jin was the Ryu of the series (if that's a fair comparison, idk).
Main dude as in protagonist? Yes. Heihachi and Nightmare are both villains. Actually, so is Scorpion. But, they are still the mascots.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Honestly, if I was making the next game, I'd drop Assist Trophies. They do tend to get a negative reaction a fair amount of the time.

Really, though, what makes this tempting for me is how much dev time it could potentially free up. I wonder what you could make with all that...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Y'know, after all is said and done, I think we'll see Spring Man make an appearance as a fighter in the next game thanks to multiple factors (Spring Stadium being Min Min's stage, Min Min being in at all).

That reminds me, considering the ahem "tepid" reactions to Assist Trophies in this game, what do you lot think will happen to them in the next? I know it's too early to be thinking about this sort of stuff, I just can't shake off the feeling that the concept as a whole may get the axe because of the drama.
The "Drama" is just some people overreacting. I think it would be foolish to remove Assists as a concept, They add some spice to casual games and allow characters to appear in the game who missed the cut for playability (Alucard) or had no chance in the first place (Yuri Kozukata)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I don't think that ATs will go away. It's a way for characters to be represented that couldn't make it in or can't be realized as fighters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They might reconsider who gets the AT treatment, but at the same time, there's also been an uprising of people trying to make sure no first parties "steal" Fighters Pass slots-I mean try to make it seem like all forms of non-fighter representation are just as important, despite the fact that only fighters get trailers, get to be on the box art, etc.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The "Drama" is just some people overreacting. I think it would be foolish to remove Assists as a concept, They add some spice to casual games and allow characters to appear in the game who missed the cut for playability (Alucard) or had no chance in the first place (Yuri Kozukata)
I myself am pretty happy Fatal Frame got an AT in the first place. I knew it had no chance of getting a playable character so the AT was honestly the next best thing

in just happy its represented beyond trophies/spirits

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
The "Drama" is just some people overreacting. I think it would be foolish to remove Assists as a concept, They add some spice to casual games and allow characters to appear in the game who missed the cut for the main game (Alucard) or had no chance in the first place (Yuri Kozukata)
That being said, there's still the fanrule that says Assist-type characters can't be made into DLC with mountains of evidence both for and against it, and considering the overreacting comes from adamantly vocal fanbases for characters like Isaac, Shadow, and the like, it's still a bit of food for thought.

I agree, though, they can be a lot of fun. I made a custom game where the goal is to just slaughter an army of Assist Trophies with super armor on. Makes for great practice with certain characters.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Even if Milk-bosatu was referring to Min Min when he recalled the "female fighting game character" (and they probably didn't), it doesn't really matter at this point.

The last time they talked about Smash was when it was announced that we would be getting more DLC characters after FP1... and they didn't say anything even remotely close to a hint or whatever, They just fantasized about the possibility of Ultimate reaching the 100 characters mark and wondering if Neptune(whom they previously unconfirmed IIRC) had a chance after all.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

From what I've seen, the way Assist Trophies were received in Ultimate isn't any different from how they were received in Wii U/3DS. Maybe slightly more negative, at worst.

I think it depends less on how some fans are upset that their personal desires became Assists instead of reaching playable status and more about how the next entry of Smash will be handled as a whole. There's still no telling exactly where we're go from Ultimate.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
From what I've seen, the way Assist Trophies were received in Ultimate isn't any different from how they were received in Wii U/3DS. Maybe slightly more negative, at worst.
The reaction to Waluigi appearing as an assist was never so bad in Brawl/4 that major corporations took notice.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...and i don't care about "MUH ALIENATED FANBASE", give Mega Man the retooling he deserves...
Honestly I think Sakurai cares more about that than Smash fans. As far as I know, the rework for Thanos was pretty well recieved (I mean, a character of his caliber shouldn't be known for being crap except for a bubble attack...not that his revamped moveset is at all interesting).

Also, I would love it if the weapon mechanic he had from Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 was expanded to Kirby levels. When ever he beats a character, Dr. Light sends Rush to give Mega Man a power inspired by the fighter. Mega Man also changes form like in Mega Man 11 so you know what power he has equipped.

As an example, beating Ryu gives Mega Man access to Hadouken. When having this weapon active, he swaps the helmet for a bandana, and his armour looks like a gi.

That being said, there's still the fanrule that says Assist-type characters can't be made into DLC with mountains of evidence both for and against it, and considering the overreacting comes from adamantly vocal fanbases for characters like Isaac, Shadow, and the like, it's still a bit of food for thought.

I agree, though, they can be a lot of fun. I made a custom game where the goal is to just slaughter an army of Assist Trophies with super armor on. Makes for great practice with certain characters.
I think the answer is simple: Make a few (like one or two) playable characters into Assist Trophies as a way of saying "yes, the option is open. Shut up". Characters with boss patterns like Bowser or King Dedede would be good candidates to do this with, though if you really wanted to do it quick and dirty, you could just copy and paste a Final Smash like Octopus or Giga Bowser or something (though that might be a bit lazy looking).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Alright. Three examples.

What about Blazblue? KoF? Guilty Gear? Killer Instinct? Under Night? Virtua Fighter? Dead or Alive? Morrigan didn't take over until the third Darkstalkers.

Exception, not the rule.

And again, it's pretty much pointless to compare ARMS to Pokémon and Animal Crossing because they're different types of games entirely. It's completely moot to compare how a fighting game does mascots to how a game that uses avatar customization will.
I referred to three of the biggest fighting games of all time. So yes, when we are discussing fan reaction, that makes a lot of sense. I referenced Nintendo, not other companies, so again, makes a lot of sense.

I'm not saying it always happens, but in comparable examples- it isn't random for it too.

This, still, being ignored in the idea of marketing. Spring Man is on the cover because he shows what the game is to mom in the store. That's really it. But I understand this forum will never agree with me, even if Min Min is on the cover of the next game. Just like when Spring Man was 'the protagonist' of the game, constantly stated, yet directly told to be untrue by the producer.

I understand this post wont get any likes. And that is fine.

What about Blastoise? JK Blastoise, you're my favorite of the three.

I...don't agree. While yes, even the most beginner friendly characters can have their mechanics further explored since they aren't completely shallow, the base roster includes a character with a disorienting poof shield, a few with harder to grasp mechanics (in the "how is this helpful" sort of way), a character with 0 agility in a game where dodging is good, a puppet fighter, and the wonkiest controlling character in the game.

You might get by with half of these characters, but I personally wouldn't recommend the other half of the game's base roster to first timers. To go back to your Super Smash Bros. example, sure the game itself is simple, and nobody really breaks the rules of the control scheme, but I wouldn't exactly recommend that a new player start with PAC-Man, Mega Man, Steve, Ness, Shulk, or even Sheik. They all have something that makes them a bit more difficult to use than normal be it execution, recovery, or just...everything really.
I quite honestly think that more of the roster is confusing to a first timer/non gamer, than ARMS. The latter is attempting to be as intuitive as a game can get, by mirroring the physical nature of what the player is doing. Meanwhile, more than half the Smash roster is also difficult, but I think anyone can play the main game and figure it out, if they understand a platform game at all. In fact I think ARMS is easier to play than Smash. You don't actually have to use any ARMS character gimmicks to play the game. Meanwhile, Smash has a plethora of difficult characters even for basic control--
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbowserjr::ultbyleth::ultduckhunt::ulthero::ulticeclimbers::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultjoker::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultminmin:ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpokemontrainer::ultsonic::ultsteve::ultyoshi::ultzss:
Basically, any character with a weird jump is going to be harder to use in a platform game, and all of the ones above have something difficult about just...moving. Much less game mechanics. Meanwhile, ARMS, they all can be played, on a very base level, in the same way. I can pick up the game right now, and just move and punch, and they will all at least function and not immediately K.O.

Either way, it's not like I'm convincing anyone, and after the ARMS direct, it's clear no ones going to convince me. So why even bother on this conversation? Let's do something fun instead.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Despite the hate they get, I personally love assist trophies. They give characters who probably otherwise wouldn't have made it, a slice of the pie regardless and that's cool.

Like fr, I'd kill for like a Karate Joe assist or something, and I'm really surprised and a tad bit bummed RH still hasn't gotten any assist of sorts

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Despite the hate they get, I personally love assist trophies. They give characters who probably otherwise wouldn't have made it, a slice of the pie regardless and that's cool.

Like fr, I'd kill for like a Karate Joe assist or something, and I'm really surprised and a tad bit bummed RH still hasn't gotten any assist of sorts
Yes, but that doesn't mean you should stop wanting a character to be playable after their non-fighter representation is shown off. Otherwise a good chunk of the base game newcomers would've been different choices, as they were based off the ballot, which people assumed was for Smash 4 DLC.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
The GAMEPLAY of MvC:I is quite literally the best it’s ever been in the entire series. Sending it over to ArcSys would just dumb it down if FighterZ and Strive are anything to go by.
I agree here. MvCI's gameplay is fantastic and should be used as the template for future games in the series. I wouldn't mind seeing 3v3 back, however.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot believe the ARMS debate is still ongoing.

Director of ARMS: "Everyone is the protagonist!"
Randoms online: "Wait, that's illegal! You can't have more than one lead in my fighting game. Spring Man is on the box! He's on the BOOOOOOOOX!"
We still make up fan rules all the time too. Every single DLC character for Ultimate has broken some nonsense expectation, but that doesn't change anything. It's pretty upsetting to see a crowd of people so unwilling. (And I'm sure the same can be said about me in other instances- which is why it is nice for it to be pointed out when that is the case. I would like to think I do a decent job of admitting when I'm wrong, like with Sakurai stating pass 2 was the end, in July).

I don't know how to reason with 2+2=7

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So you're saying that Min Min is the mascot since she was the chosen crossover character for the game Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch?
No. And we cannot have guns, characters not appearing on Nintendo, spirits, direct competitors' characters, or more Fire Emblem, either.

Just kidding. No one ever said we couldnt have more Fire Emblem.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The reaction to Waluigi appearing as an assist was never so bad in Brawl/4 that major corporations took notice.
Yeah, but Waluigi's just one example among many. If that was going to have any effect, it would probably be on Waluigi specifically and the entire concept of Assist Trophies.

Can you actually look at any of Ultimate's other Assist Trophies and prove or at least fairly say the uproar over their inclusion as one was as bad as it was for Waluigi?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom