• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Isn't Tomb Raider still very popular in Japan though
Ehhh....

The highest selling game there is Tomb Raider 2 at borderline 200k.

I do think that's a little better than most other western IPs in Japan, but I wouldn't say TR has ever really been "very popular" there. A niche following at best, it looks like.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Lara getting overlooked is probably the result of Smash Bros. primarily focusing on Japanese gaming series, with the two primary exceptions being Banjo-Kazooie (which used to be a Nintendo IP prior to 2002) and Minecraft (the most popular game in the world, and the highest selling foreign game in Japan). And I guess there's also the argument that most Nintendo fans don't really have an attachment to Tomb Raider.
Not sure if it's the Japanese focus so much as the fact that she just doesn't overlap with the demographics here. She's influential and famous, and she has had recent installments, but those aren't on the Switch. She associated with the PlayStation more than anything, though I'm not sure if the recent games are on the Xbox or PC. In general, a series needs either a Switch port and/or be featured in a leak to gain traction in the Smash fanbase (Or at the very least SmashBoards specifically), and Lara has neither.

Though, we have focused on characters like 2B and Kiryu at various points. Perhaps were are slanted towards Japanese works after all...

KillerCage

Smash Master
Not sure if it's the Japanese focus so much as the fact that she just doesn't overlap with the demographics here. She's influential and famous, and she has had recent installments, but those aren't on the Switch. She associated with the PlayStation more than anything, though I'm not sure if the recent games are on the Xbox or PC. In general, a series needs either a Switch port and/or be featured in a leak to gain traction in the Smash fanbase (Or at the very least SmashBoards specifically), and Lara has neither.

Though, we have focused on characters like 2B and Kiryu at various points. Perhaps were are slanted towards Japanese works after all...
Gordon Freeman and Master Chief are discussed more often than Lara.
Besides her lackluster affilations with Nintendo (her games have been on Nintendo consoles before), I think she offers very little that would interest people.
When I think of Lara, I think of her acrobatics and dual wielding pistols.
If anything, Lara Croft is a lesser Bayonetta, just without the Wicked Weaves and Witch Time.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So anything happen over the last week? Leaks or hints or whatnot? Been distracted over things that many people were distracted over.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So anything happen over the last week? Leaks or hints or whatnot? Been distracted over things that many people were distracted over.
Falcom has risen in popularity in these parts, Ys especially. I posted a big writeup on Ys' main protagonist, Adol, explaining who he is and why you now want him in Smash. There's a link in my signature.

On a less cheerful note, Kiryu has been implicitly deconfirmed. The director of the series says he doesn't want Kiryu in any fighting games because he doesn't want Kiryu hitting any women. It was a Dame Da Ne moment if I ever saw one. Now it seems that Arle and Sakura are taking the center stage now, though it's a bit too early to say for sure.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Good to know. Sounds like I didn't miss much, but I'm all for a Falcom rep. Has it just become a flavor of the week discussion point or is there something actual tangible with Adol or any other Falcom reps. Like some interview from Ys people or something?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So anyone want a fake leak? This might actually be one of the most bonkers leaks I've seen that I'm kind of disappointed it's fake.

Competely Bonkers Fake Leak.png

I feel like it's pretty obvious why it's fake (most of the dates are for fall 2021 why would they be in a November 2020 direct for starters) but gosh dang would this be funny if it was true.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
So anyone want a fake leak? This might actually be one of the most insane leaks I've ever seen constructed that I'm kind of disappointed it's fake.

View attachment 291553

I feel like it's pretty obvious why it's fake (most if not all of the dates for fall 2021 why would they be in a November 2020 direct) but gosh dang would this be funny if it was true.
...You made this?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So anyone want a fake leak? This might actually be one of the most insane leaks I've ever seen constructed that I'm kind of disappointed it's fake.

View attachment 291553

I feel like it's pretty obvious why it's fake (most if not all of the dates for fall 2021 why would they be in a November 2020 direct) but gosh dang would this be funny if it was true.
Sakuna as FP8 huh... I actually wouldn’t have minded that

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Good to know. Sounds like I didn't miss much, but I'm all for a Falcom rep. Has it just become a flavor of the week discussion point or is there something actual tangible with Adol or any other Falcom reps. Like some interview from Ys people or something?
Falcom's always been a minor discussion scurrying around, but Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure were announced to have Asian Switch ports. This matched up with the Falcom "leak" from June, and caused a surge of Falcom talk. Even if the leak turns out to be fake, which it most likely is, it still got potential Falcom reps more attention. Perhaps it's because I just hopped on now, but I've noticed that Adol's thread has had a bit of activity lately.
Sakuna as FP8 huh... I actually wouldn’t have minded that
I've been waiting for this game since last E3. Over a year.
I call dibs on making her support thread.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So anyone want a fake leak? This might actually be one of the most bonkers leaks I've seen that I'm kind of disappointed it's fake.

View attachment 291553

That is... wow. I kinda wish this was real.

Though that bit about "Maria and Louise" reminds me of Fantendo Wiki. That's not something I thought I'd be reminded of.
Falcom's always been a minor discussion scurrying around, but Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure were announced to have Asian Switch ports. This matched up with the Falcom "leak" from June, and caused a surge of Falcom talk. Even if the leak turns out to be fake, which it most likely is, it still got potential Falcom reps more attention. Perhaps it's because I just hopped on now, but I've noticed that Adol's thread has had a bit of activity lately.

I've been waiting for this game since last E3. Over a year.
I call dibs on making her support thread.
Then hurry up and make it! It's first come, first serve around these parts!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

View attachment 291553

Horizon Zero Dawn on Switch
Why do fake leakers always feel the need to overplay their hands? Maybe someone could've bought Sakuna in Smash, maybe someone could've bought the rule 63 Mario & Luigi, but who in their right mind would believe that Sony's putting a game on the Switch?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why do fake leakers always feel the need to overplay their hands? Maybe someone could've bought Sakuna in Smash, maybe someone could've bought the rule 63 Mario & Luigi, but who in their right mind would believe that Sony's putting a game on the Switch?
Yeah. It's unbelievable. It's a good fake too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the writer forgot it was Sony as it's on PC too

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131

View attachment 291553

I feel like it's pretty obvious why it's fake (most if not all of the dates for fall 2021 why would they be in a November 2020 direct for starters) but gosh dang would this be funny if it was true.
It was a pretty good read.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I feel like it's pretty obvious why it's fake (most of the dates are for fall 2021 why would they be in a November 2020 direct for starters) but gosh dang would this be funny if it was true.
- Baby Petey Piranha

I know it's fake, but there's an alternate universe somewhere out there where it's real and I find myself questioning what the Mario dev teams have been smoking.

GenoDoge

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 291553

It was pretty normal at first.

Then Horizon Zero Dawn Pocket Edition.
Then 10 whole minutes on Yoshi.
It was kinda laughable.

Then they said Them's Fightin' Herds on Switch and I got sad because I would love that.

Then Sakuna as #78 was just a "but...why?" moment.

Then genderbent Mario and Luigi made me really go...okay.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

View attachment 291553

What is it with 4chan and giving Yoshi games terrible names?
Granted Crafted World wasn't a brilliant name but still.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
(most of the dates are for fall 2021 why would they be in a November 2020 direct for starters)
That's actually the only realistic thing about that entire fake leak, due to COVID and work-at-home affecting development and all that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's hard to believe that it's almost been 30 days since Steve came out, but it has. Even longer if you consider when he was first revealed.

I've honestly got 0 clue when the next character will be shown off at this point. Next month seems somewhat safe due to us hitting about 70~ days since Steve mid-month, which is a 'bit' early, but not by much, and then January will bring us to 90.

I 'really' don't see us hitting January 20th without any news, since that'll put us nearly 100 days since Steve was released(Exactly 99 if my math is correct).

I will say though, that obviously nothing's coming this month. If we're getting a bugfix patch, they'd have just included it with a bigger patch, so to anyone who was still clinging onto that "We've gotten big stuff after every tournament" belief, that should put a stake in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom