• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If we do get a reveal at TGA, it would likely be a character that's either already really popular or at least one that's fresh in recent memory, methinks. Someone like Crash or Sora. If it wasn't for the Spirit event, I'd say a RE character would have stood a great chance, too. Maybe Dante?

It's hard for me to imagine a reveal for someone that doesn't fulfill these conditions. For example, I have a bit of a hard time seeing most of the current Sega contenders (Arle, Axel, a PSO rep) being TGA reveals, tbh.

And just so I do the routine plugging: if we do indeed get a LoL rep, TGA is arguably one of the two best possible times to do it, since it's pretty much a regular at the show at this point.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know I kinda do have a feeling we will see a TGA reveal this year. There’s a lot of evidence that Byleth was originally meant to be shown at TGA but something went wrong along the way (for starters, the fact Byleth’s trailer doesn’t begin with the cross fade intro of other trailers)
I could believe this, but I doubt that the schedule would change that much (unless Nintendo just knew that Byleth would go over extremely poorly with the hardcore fandom). It seems a bit like pure speculation to me, and Occam's Razor says Byleth was intended for January from the start instead of TGA (they just wanted Byleth in January vs. Byleth was intended for TGA, Nintendo for some reason cancelled the appearance, delayed Byleth to the start of 2020).

It is worth noting that there is no indication that the trailer is about Smash and not DLC for Three Houses until the invitation actually appears. The only hint we would have gotten is the E10+ rating at the start of the trailer, the only indication from Joker's trailer that he wasn't advertising a Persona 5 spinoff. This doesn't make sense with how we ended up getting the trailer, where we already knew it was Smash related before it even started.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I like this idea, but I think that since Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a remake of Wonder Boy III, and the transformation mechanics seem to be exclusive to that game, I'm not sure it would be fitting.

I would instead give it to Jin from Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, and give Book some of the more general mechanics found throughout his series.
Im pretty sure the remake is as one-to-one to the original Wonder Boy 3, with the only new additions being Wonder Girl, Sub Weapon Toggle (meaning you press the shoulder buttons to switch from the arrow to the boomerang) and the hidden rooms for each transformation. To put this into perspective, the Dragon Trap remake is actually running the original game's code, and the remake started development by reverse engineering it.

Also, the Tasmanian Sword (also known as the Kashmir Sword) WAS in the original game, at least the Game Gear Port:

You should do a thread on how you see an hypothetical SEGA Crossover game.
I would love to do that, especially because other fan rosters i have seen have left me......................dissapointed, to say the least.

Though to be fair my choices were quite unrealistic, and i probably should have capped it off at 25 or around that.

Maybe i could look at another thread.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Im pretty sure the remake is as one-to-one to the original Wonder Boy 3, with the only new additions being Wonder Girl, Sub Weapon Toggle (meaning you press the shoulder buttons to switch from the arrow to the boomerang) and the hidden rooms for each transformation. To put this into perspective, the Dragon Trap remake is actually running the original game's code, and the remake started development by reverse engineering it.
I actually knew this, my problem was that this mechanic isn't in the 3rd game (because it definitely is), it's that it isn't in the rest of the series, so if we wanted the character to represent the entire series, I feel it would be better to take from the entire series rather than just the 3rd game if at all possible.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that Nintendo wants short marketing cycles, like between the first trailer and the release of each fighter, 10-12 days.

So I expect CP8 to be revealed and released during january

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If we do get a reveal at TGA, it would likely be a character that's either already really popular or at least one that's fresh in recent memory, methinks. Someone like Crash or Sora. If it wasn't for the Spirit event, I'd say a RE character would have stood a great chance, too. Maybe Dante?
Would Byleth count for this lol

There's been mumorings that Byleth was supposed to be revealed in Decembe last year, presumably at TGA, before being delayed to January.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I actually knew this, my problem was that this mechanic isn't in the 3rd game, it's that it isn't in the rest of the series, so if we wanted the character to represent the entire series, I feel it would be better to take from the entire series rather than just the 3rd game if at all possible.
I mean, Simon and Ricther only represent the Side Scroller Castlevania games in their movesets, and don't feature any mechanics from the MetroidVania games aside of Richter's moves from Symphony of the Night.

Some franchises in Smash clearly lean towards one game or subseries in particular. FF is basically JUST FF7, Persona is mostly JUST Persona 5 (even though unlike FF it actually brings content from other games, namely the music) and Mega Man is mostly just Classic Mega Man.

This is even true for Nintendo Franchises. Wario is mostly just Warioware, Kirby is mostly by Sakurai-Made games, and Donkey Kong is mostly RARE's DKC games.

It makes senes most of the content of an hypothetical Wonder Boy X Smash Crossover would have content hailing mostly from the Dragon's Trap, as it is the most popular and well known title of all. So i don't see the problem here by representing it with its most iconic character (aside from Tom-Tom himself), even if the mechanic has only beign used twice in the franchise.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Would Byleth count for this lol

There's been mumorings that Byleth was supposed to be revealed in December, presumably at TGA, last year, before being delayed to January.
Dunno, did we get any actual proof of this? I mean, we often hear that Steve and Min Min were supposed to be our E3 reveals despite the Event planning indicating otherwise.

...But no, really, do we have any actual confirmation of this?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As unpopular an opinion this probably is, I'm in the camp E3 was always going to just be Min Min. I don't really buy into the "characters were switched around" theories, mainly because with how game development works, it doesn't make any sense to me personally. Steve was more than likely always going to be somewhere around Minecon. Heck, there's a good chance with how crazy complicated he was to make, he probably wasn't even in a super showable state in June. :drshrug:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, Simon and Ricther only represent the Side Scroller Castlevania games in their movesets, and don't feature any mechanics from the MetroidVania games aside of Richter's moves from Symphony of the Night.

Some franchises in Smash clearly lean towards one game or subseries in particular. FF is basically JUST FF7, Persona is mostly JUST Persona 5 (even though unlike FF it actually brings content from other games, namely the music) and Mega Man is mostly just Classic Mega Man.

This is even true for Nintendo Franchises. Wario is mostly just Warioware, Kirby is mostly by Sakurai-Made games, and Donkey Kong is mostly RARE's DKC games.

It makes senes most of the content of an hypothetical Wonder Boy X Smash Crossover would have content hailing mostly from the Dragon's Trap, as it is the most popular and well known title of all. So i don't see the problem here by representing it with its most iconic character (aside from Tom-Tom himself), even if the mechanic has only beign used twice in the franchise.
Eh, I suppose. I wouldn't hate this outcome either (I'd certainly hate it less than some of the other fixated series), I'm just not sure it's the ideal one.

Man people really do be trying to say X can't happen because Y despite multiple characters also having Y
It seems to be a combination of distaste for the series and a lack of visualization of what a character would look like in Super Smash Bros. considering the argument is usually that it takes "Y" too far. For example, "Bayonetta and Persona 5 may have gore, but Doom and Mortal Kombat have a lot of gore, so they're too gory to add."

I believe distaste is a factor since series get criticisms that others don't despite them both having these aspects. For example, Doom and Mortal Kombat often have gore sited as their barriers to entry, but Resident Evil doesn't despite all of the gore, grossout, and body horror stuff that comes with the territory of being a mutant zombie horror series.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Dunno, did we get any actual proof of this? I mean, we often hear that Steve and Min Min were supposed to be our E3 reveals despite the Event planning indicating otherwise.

Imran Khan said back in January that Byleth was supposed to be revealed in December. It's not a confirmation by a longshot, but considering it's unlikely that Nintendo/Sakurai will ever talk about their original gameplan for the reveal it's the best we'll ever get.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
i need someone to give me a character. I don't care who it is.
Ok, I guess nobody cares. I'll just do the first character named after that post (excluding quotes), who would appear to be Ameterasu (via signature). You may be wondering what this is all about... this is going to be something never before done... an AI generated Smash Moveset.
1603651192958.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As unpopular an opinion this probably is, I'm in the camp E3 was always going to just be Min Min. I don't really buy into the "characters were switched around" theories, mainly because with how game development works, it doesn't make any sense to me personally. Steve was more than likely always going to be somewhere around Minecon. Heck, there's a good chance with how crazy complicated he was to make, he probably wasn't even in a super showable state in June. :drshrug:
While I think any character switch theory is bogus on premise, I would not be surprised if the original plan was to reveal both Min Min and Steve at E3, and do their Sakurai Presents presentations at later dates, with Steve's being right before MineCon.

It could have also not been the case, but it probably doesn't matter either way.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Huh, so unless deceptions of such weapons being fired raises more stipulations than just having someone holding one for some reason, gun-toting characters are probably fair game then. Even without the gun censorship that Snake received.

Too bad there aren't really any likely characters that this would effect though. At least Elma wouldn't have to use one of the weird alien Dual Guns on her normal costume if she were to get in.
I can still see Nintendo and its lawyers being vary of real weapons being fired in a 10+ game, especially since they might not want to deal with the usual "concerned parent" who presses a suit because Mario's shot by a AK-47 (especially since, you know, family friendly company). Of course, there are a lot of those "concerned parents" who press charges on ridicolous premises, but Nintendo might view a more real gun as a bigger risk of that happening on a larger scale. If those "concerned parents" manage to spread say the implication that Nintendo's "being paid by gun companies" to other like-minded ones... yeah that's going to be difficult to squash.

Doesn't automatically disqualify a real gun, but might put a dent in it.

What are you talking about? Steve simply mines, crafts and spams Up Smash whenever someone's above him.:4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ok, I guess nobody cares. I'll just do the first character named after that post (excluding quotes), who would appear to be Ameterasu (via signature). You may be wondering what this is all about... this is going to be something never before done... an AI generated Smash Moveset.
It has finally happened. My efforts have gotten Amaterasu in Super Smash Bros.

It's only the AI Dungeon edition, but I'll take it. My life is now complete.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's the Ameterasu moveset. I didn't intervene much, only making sure it followed the correct imputs and didn't mispell anything

1603652893795.png
1603652926291.png
1603652958791.png
1603653013429.png

1603653098870.png
"Hello. I'm Masahiro Sakurai, and I'd like to introduce the 8th DLC fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Amaterasu from the Okami Series! This is her moveset." Neutral B: Fireball. Ameterasu's Fireball attakck is a small ball of fire that she can shoot out at enemies. It has a fairly long range, but it's not too powerful. Forward B: Water Wave. Ameterasu will create a wave of water that hits all nearby opponents. The move has decent power, but its very slow moving. Backward B: Ice Storm. Ameterasu creates an ice storm around herself that freezes any opponent caught within it. The move has decent range, but it's hard to control. Down B: Vampiric Embrace. Amaterasu sucks in any nearby opponent and drains their blood, healing herself slightly in the process. Up B: Celestial Brush. Amaterasu paints a quick picture of the skies, sending multiple raindrops out towards all nearby opponents. It's not very powerful, but it can cause opponents to flinch if they're hit. Up Smash: Wolf Fang Sword. Amaterasu summons her sword, which she will slash any opponent caught in the radius. It's fairly fast, but it doesn't do too much damage and it's vertical reach isn't the greatest. Down Smash: Fiery Mountain. Amaterasu summons a small fenced off area of earth that causes an explosion, launching any opponent caught in it high into the air. It's not very strong, but it has a good clip speed. Forward Smash: Celestial Press. Amaterasu places her hand on the ground, causing a large pressue to drop be placed on any opponent caught in front of her. She'll then lift them up and fling them away, sending them flying quite a distance. Grab: Celestial Twirl. Amaterasu grabs an opponent in a twirl, tossing them towards her. It's fairly slow and easy to escape from. Pummel: Amaterasu punches the opponent. If she twists her wrist, she'll send them flying into the air. Up Throw: Amaterasu throws an opponent up and then backwards, flipping them over. Backward Throw: Amaterasu throws an opponent behind her, breaking the momentum of the throw. It has great power, but bad range. Down Throw: Amaterasu puts an opponent on her knee and then slams her foot on their chest, sending them to the floor with a small bounce. Forward Throw: Amaterasu will toss her opponent forward and then across the stage, dragging them a bit on the way down. It does a lot of damage and has great range, but it's slow to execute. Jab: Amaterasu's signature move. She does a quick swipe at her opponent. Side Tilt: Amaterasu kicks her leg out to the side, sweeping any nearby opponents off of their feet. It has great range and power. Up Tilt: Amaterasu does a sweeping kick. It has great range, but it's slow to initiate and easy to avoid. Down Tilt: Amaterasu falls on one knee and then sweeps her foot out from under any opponent hit, sending them to the floor. Dash Attack: Amaterasu runs up to an opponent and hits them with her fist. It's very strong and has good range, but it's slow to initiate and easy to avoid. Neutral Air: Amaterasu does a spin kick. It's fairly weak, but has decent range. Forward Air: Amamaru will quickly sweep her leg out, tripping up any opponents hit. Back Air: Amamaru will rapidly sweep her leg back, kicking any opponent away from her. Up Air: Amaterasu will quickly head-butt her opponent. It isn't very strong, but it can be triggered by pressing the special move button (PSB). Down Air: Amaterasu does a quick sit-down drop, hitting any opponent directly beneath her. Final Smash: Ameterasu's ultimate attack is called "Apocalypse: Cocytus". It summons a black hole to appear in the stage. Then, Amaterasu will summon a horde of Behemoth, faster than Kyros'slessened, to run rampant throughout the entire stage, attacking any unfortunate souls caught in their path. Any surviving enemies will be set aflame by the Behemoths' flight, and the fact that they'll be running through said fire will speed up their already frantic charge. Taunt 1: Amaterasu does a small pose, flexing her muscles. Taunt 2: Amaterasu closes her eyes and smirks, licking her lips. Taunt 3: Amaterasu's gaze turns cold as the sun, and she snarls, showing her teeth. Ameterasu's Classic Mode route is called "Rebirth". You fight the following Smash Bros characters: Sora: The hero of the Kingdom Hearts universe. Sora fights using the Keyblade, a weapon with which he can cast various kinds of magic. Pit: The fearless pilot who saved the galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy. He also appears in Smash Bros. as a veteran fighter using his dramatically upgraded dual lightsaber. Ridley: The giant space monster who menace the Metroid universe in which Samus Aran works. He appears as a veteran foe, with his massive size and powerful attacks making him a big threat. Samus: The fearless bounty hunter who hunts Metroids in the Metroid universe. Samus is re-imagined as a powerful fighter able to use many technical skills. Dark Samus: The horrifying final form of Samus after she absorbs the powers of the Metroids in Metroid Prime. She can easily wipe out due to her overwhelming power, although she can be a big target and has a tendency to self-destruct. Ganondorf: The main villain of the Legend of Zelda series. Ganondorf is a skilled and powerful fighter, although he relies on brute force. King Dedede: The proud king of the- not very large- Dynastie of the Bunny Rabbits. The final battle is a boss fight against either King Dedede or Dark Samus, depending on the path you chose.
Ameterasu's home stage is an iconic location from Okami: The Tam-Tama Tree. The stage features a massive tree with several platforms and tunnels that stretch out from its branches.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice

We kinda do. There were some in-game Tournaments that were moved around in December and January. Tournaments 4012 and 4015 occurred before Byleth's tournament, which is labelled as 4011.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My new prediction when I think the last four will be revealed.

CP8: January 2021
CP9: May 2021
CP10: August-September 2021
CP11: December 2021

What do you guys think?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's the Ameterasu moveset. I didn't intervene much, only making sure it followed the correct imputs and didn't mispell anything

The uncanny thing is that it seems to know a bit about her and the other fighters, noting her Celestial Brush and Sora's Keyblade. This makes it all the more humorous that it doesn't seem to know that Amaterasu is a quadruped. Here are my favorite parts:

Who knew the holy mother was actually a vampire?
Down B: Vampiric Embrace. Amaterasu sucks in any nearby opponent and drains their blood, healing herself slightly in the process.
Yamcha must have lent her his power.
Up Smash: Wolf Fang Sword.
Amamaru.
Forward Air: Amamaru will quickly sweep her leg out, tripping up any opponents hit. Back Air: Amamaru will rapidly sweep her leg back, kicking any opponent away from her.
Faster than what now?
Then, Amaterasu will summon a horde of Behemoth, faster than Kyros'slessened, to run rampant throughout the entire stage, attacking any unfortunate souls caught in their path.
P is real confirmed.
Pit: The fearless pilot who saved the galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy. He also appears in Smash Bros. as a veteran fighter using his dramatically upgraded dual lightsaber.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
you know, it's really funny how a one liner that took 5 seconds to think up gets 15 likes but something that took actual time and effort gets almost nothing.

i say "funny" but it's actually incredibly disappointing.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Oh god this moveset is hilarious. Besides what SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy said:

• Apparently Amaterasu's signature move is a standard swipe. Not the Celestial Brush.
  • Up-Air has a super secret input, and only Up-Air.
  • Apparently Back Throw is only there to rack up damage? If so that's amazing.
  • Sora confirmed for FP1 baybee! :4pacman:
  • Apparently Metroid Prime has a secret bad ending and said bad ending left Dark Samus really... volatile.
  • Now we know what :4dedede: did during the Easter. He took over Zootopia's Bunnyburrow!

7NATOR

Smash Master
I just saw the Arle Interview Thing

In terms of how damning it is, I think it's about as Damning as the Xbox France Twitter account saying "Chief is Waiting for his Invitation". Theoratically it could be a play on words like how Grants thing was (Grant never explictiy deconfirmed Banjo for Smash). I don't think it's as Damning as Doomguy, Overwatch, Ori, and Ryza's Interviews. It's still something to keep in mind

If i had to rate Interviews in Groups on whether they deconfirm, Confirm (at least a Presense in the game), or are more Dubious, here is how I would rate it

Deconfirm

Doomguy
Overwatch
Ori
Ryza
Dead or Alive Character

Undecided

Arle
Mortal Kombat
Master Chief
Banjo (Was confirmed Playable)
Sol
Adol and Rean

Confirm

Travis (confirmed to be a Mii)
SNK (Talking about Galford's Dog could be ultimate Deflection, when Terry and Kyo weren't mentioned)
Estelle (wasn't mentioned with Adol or Rean, despite the Producer guy saying Her game and Character were his favorite to write for, No Confirmed presense in Smash so far)

Theenderdefender

Smash Cadet
So I'm just gonna do this since I don't know what else to do. I'm going to list my top 10 most wanted fighters. This is with knowledge that there are only 4 slots left. So I'll tell you the character and also tell you what I think their chances are.

10) Spyro (Chance: 5/10)
9) Crash (8/10)
8) The Goose (1/10)
7) Geno (5/10)
6) Fawful (3/10)
5) Frisk (3/10)
4) Rillaboom (10/10. Maybe not specifically Rillaboom, but I'm confident a gen 8 pokemon will make it in)
3) The Heavy (2/10)
2) Hat Kid (4/10)
1) Phoenix Wright (9/10)

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Looks like it's now unlikely that Sega gets another rep, unless we get Kiryu from the Yakuza games.
Ryo or Space Harrier would be next in line

They represent the some of the most iconic arcade games and one of the leading figures(Yu Suzuki) in gaming in history

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Though not owned by Sega originally, I'd just love to see Shining Force get spirits alone. Hell, it has more than one version of the one of the first few Heroes, Max himself~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom