• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
A Doom stage would be kinda too bloody and satanic...
Maybe. It deepends on the stage. And I don't know if satanic imagery is too much of a problem. Bayonetta has you fight is a stage with angels. Not fo mention Smash has an assist trophy that is litterally called "Devil"! But if it's still a problem then they could always have it be the UAC base on Mars, scorched in flames with floating Cacodemon's in the background.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Maybe. It deepends on the stage. And I don't know if satanic imagery is too much of a problem. Bayonetta has you fight is a stage with angels. Not fo mention Smash has an assist trophy that is litterally called "Devil"! But if it's still a problem then they could always have it be the UAC base on Mars, scorched in flames with floating Cacodemon's in the background.
Would be kinda cool.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'll admit I don't know too much about Halo. But from what I've seen the environment seem, um, normal. You got some forest planet, a space station, ice planet... Doom just has more edge. Now, this has nothing to do with who's more likely. This is just who would bring more interesting stuff to the table if they were in Smash.

Staarih

Smash Master
I have little to none knowledge about either Halo or Doom, but if it were a case of "one or the other" in Smash, I think Doom(guy) may have the upper hand. From what I know, it popularized the FPS genre and I think Sakurai has mentioned it (or its creator) in some of his past interviews? Legacy may play a bigger part here, though the gore aspect may be a bit iffy.

Also, after Banjo and Steve, I dunno if we'll get more from Microsoft (even if Mojang appears to be the major player with Steve). But what do I know.

Edit: Oh wait, is Doom owned by Microsoft nowadays too? Goes to show how much I know lol.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Wow, weird to think we're discussing which green space marine owned by Microsoft would get in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm constantly amazed at how people can't figure out how to make a wild berserker who's incredibly fast paced game has mobility and aggresion as the key factors to victory leading into a character who rushes in and overwhelms foes with brute force different from a military super soldier who's game has you play more defensively while using all sorts of gadgets to secure victory while managing your very limited resources. Doom Slayer should be a glass cannon who has excellent speed and want to run in close with a shotgun whereas Master Chief would be a tactical zoner using **** like grenades and bubble shields to ruin your enemy's day who wants to force the opponent to play at his pace. It's as if people choose to remain ignorant.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I honestly think I'd rather have Halo first because it's the bigger and more mainstream of the two, and despite there already being two Microsoft owned characters in Smash, I still think Master Chief could cause a pretty big reaction because he's, you know, Mr. Xbox.

See, comparing Halo to DOOM is kinda like comparing Final Fantasy to Dragon Quest. Sure DOOM/DQ have been around longer and are essentially the granddaddies of their respective genres, but Halo and FF (FF7 in particular) are the more popular/mainstream series, That's why we got Cloud before Hero or any other Nintendo associated FF reps like Terra, and why I feel like Master Chief would make more sense to include before Doomguy (in-spite of, you know, not having much history on Nintendo platforms outside of just being a skin in Minecraft), especially now that both are owned by Microsoft.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Doom slayer getting in would be more of a retro legacy kinda pick even if he’s had more recent games.
And retro legacy picks can still happen for DLC. Just look at Banjo because Nuts and Bolts definitely doesn't count. :p

And while Terry is still very active due to King of Fighters, his own series hasn't had a game since 1999, so it's debatable whether he's retro or not, I guess.

Either way, point is being retro shouldn't be an argument to gatekeep characters. Even if I'm wrong on both examples, I'm still gonna defend that point because any reason for people to gatekeep a video game character from being in Smash is a bad one when you realize the collective community hive mind has always been wrong with guesses without a leaker giving away the answers.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Are there any major potential differences between them?
View attachment 289456
-Both are green
-Both are iconic and famous
-Both of them take on otherworldly creatures (Demons and Flood)
Good thing Master Chief & DoomGuy are two of my most wanted characters! They’d both be very different from each other. As different as Marth is from Cloud or Terry is from Ryu . Unless you’re someone who sees similar traits like swords or guns & just automatically think all characters with them function the same. Despite both being FPS, Doom & Halo don’t really play that similarly.

Doom is all about movement. Doom Slayer/DoomGuy might be a big bulky guy, but he’s actually a quick lightweight. If you’re not constantly moving in Doom, you’re screwed. Luckily the Slayer has the speed to outpace all of his demonic foes. In the newer games, the Slayer’s health is actually linked to killing enemies as they’ll drop health items. The Slayer also has access to any weapons he’s previously found at all times; this way the enemies are designed around specific weapons. This causes Doom’s gameplay to almost feel like a dance of sorts; you’re constantly moving around enemies & their attacks while cycling through your weapons to unleash a barrage of gunfire. The Rip & Tear memes are actually true of Doom’s gameplay; if you’re not constantly killing, then you’re playing Doom wrong. Doom is actually a horror game where YOU are the monster.

In Smash, DoomGuy would be a quick lightweight who specializes in mid range fights. I say he should be one of the fastest characters in the game. His attacks would feel pretty brutal; more in-line with the likes of Ridley or Ganondorf than your average hero. His main gimmick would be his weapon wheel, it would function similarly to Shulk’s Monado.

Halo is a bit more slow paced & tactical. Master Chief is a lot more tanky than DoomGuy thanks to his armor’s shield system. The shield essentially give him two health bars; if you avoid taking damage for long enough then the shields will recharge. This leads to Halo’s gameplay being a bit more slow paced than Doom’s since you’ll want to take cover during the fights. Master Chief can only carry two weapons & a select amount of grenades (varies from game to game) at one time. This gives the gameplay a bit of thought to it as you’ll have to constantly decide on which guns you want to carry. Do you want to carry the rockets that are powerful but only have 4 shots that are rare to find or the Plasma Rifle which isn’t as powerful but is found a lot more often? Halo is a lot more about survival. You are the legendary hero that must face down entire armies.

In Smash, Master Chief would be on the heavier side of things. He’d perform best at long range but could have some options for medium or close range such as his shotgun, Energy Sword & Gravity Hammer. His mannerisms would be a lot more serious & reserves like Samus or Link.

Stage wise: Doom’s levels & world design have a chaotic feeling to them, as Hell is invading our realm. Halo’s levels & world designs often combine mystery & beautiful awe as Master Chief explores places that are eons old.

The main way the two series are similar is that enemies are designed in a way that you can instantly recognize them & know which ones to prioritize taking out first in a fight.

Halo & Doom have the two of the best soundtracks in gaming. If you haven’t listened to them, I’d highly recommend it. Almost every game in those series have killer soundtracks.

All in all, Master Chief & Doom Slayer May look similar but they’d be very different. I think they’re two of the most important characters not in Smash yet. It’s a shame that we won’t get both in Ultimate, maybe even neither of them. 😔

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Legacy may play a bigger part here.
Which is why I think Nintendo could pick Crash or Lara Craft, highly requested/demanded or not.

Even then in Crash's favor negotiations could have happened even earlier as Steve has shown which took 5 years, long before the N. Sane Trilogy came and requests and demand highly picked up for him.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I have little to none knowledge about either Halo or Doom, but if it were a case of "one or the other" in Smash, I think Doom(guy) may have the upper hand. From what I know, it popularized the FPS genre and I think Sakurai has mentioned it (or its creator) in some of his past interviews? Legacy may play a bigger part here, though the gore aspect may be a bit iffy.

Also, after Banjo and Steve, I dunno if we'll get more from Microsoft (even if Mojang appears to be the major player with Steve). But what do I know.

Edit: Oh wait, is Doom owned by Microsoft nowadays too? Goes to show how much I know lol.
Both Doom & Halo have a lot of legacy/importance to both the FPS genre & gaming as a whole. I think Dinoman96 Dinoman96 put it best when he said Doom is like Dragon Quest & Halo is like Final Fantasy.

In addition to that, I’d say Call of Duty is like Pokemon as it’s the biggest series in its genre due to a focus on more casual gameplay elements. While, Half-Life is like Persona as they’re smaller but incredibly critically acclaimed & beloved series.

I‘ll be pretty sad if we don’t end up getting a FPS character. It’s a huge genre that’s beloved by millions of people. It’ll be a shame if it doesn’t see any love in this fantastic celebration of gaming. I know the genre isn’t the biggest in Japan, but they could always balance out the inclusion of a FPS rep with a pick that’d appeal heavily to Japan.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Are we really playing the "Doom is too violent for Smash" game again?

ahem
👏 Violence 👏 is 👏 not 👏 a 👏 necessary 👏 part 👏 of 👏 Doom's 👏 Identity

Seriously, the whole "Rip and tear!" thing really only started with the reboot. The older games were kind of violent, but only to the extent of exploding monsters and some limited blood, no one's guts were getting removed and no one had their head torn off. Unless you are a religious parent or American senator in the 90s, classic Doom really isn't shocking. It's barely a step-up from Persona or Bayonetta and those were fine.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think that we are getting an FPS rep unless Microsoft double dips in this pass and gets two fighters.
Well let's say Nintendo went to Bethesda to acquire the rights to use Doom Slayer before greenliting Fighter's Pass 2, Doom Slayer would technically still be a Bethesda rep and Microsoft one since Nintendo made the deal with Bethesda to get him in before Microsoft fully acquired and bought Bethesda.

About that GTA thing:
It was debunked
So technically, we already got a Grand Theft Auto rep in Smash. :4pacman:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well let's say Nintendo went to Bethesda to acquire the rights to use Doom Slayer before greenliting Fighter's Pass 2, Doom Slayer would technically still be a Bethesda rep and Microsoft one since Nintendo made the deal with Bethesda to get him in before Microsoft fully acquired and bought Bethesda.

So technically, we already got a Grand Theft Auto rep in Smash. :4pacman:
Doomguy is completely deconfirmed. It's Master Chief or no one.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, either of them could happen at this point. Doom Slayer isn't out because his company just got bought out by Microsoft. Bethesda was still it's own thing when Fighter's Pass 2 was decided so Doom Slayer would technically still be a Bethesda rep if he's in Fighter's Pass 2.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly, either of them could happen at this point. Doom Slayer isn't out because his company just got bought out by Microsoft. Bethesda was still it's own thing when Fighter's Pass 2 was decided so Doom Slayer would technically still be a Bethesda rep if he's in Fighter's Pass 2.
There's still that interview. Doomguy is not happening.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's still that interview. Doomguy is not happening.
What interview? Besides, anyone's words doesn't mean anything as they could be lying if they're under a NDA. Grant Kirihope lied and said he wasn't working on anything Banjo-Kazooie related at the time and not only he knew they were in Smash, but he composed the Spiral Mountain remix in the trailer.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just because you don't want a character to be in Smash, it doesn't mean that they're deconfirmed.

The only thing I can think of that might point to Doomguy not being in is the Marty Stratton interview, and I don't think we know who would Sakurai would negotiate or discuss with in the company. (he says in the interview that he doesn't know who was involved in the discussions, or at least that he doesn't know "who talked to who")

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Besides, I don't think that they would put in a 3rd party character who isn't popular in Japan.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The older games were kind of violent, but only to the extent of exploding monsters and some limited blood, no one's guts were getting removed and no one was their head torn off.
Not entirely true...
1602857934499.png
EDIT: I'm just playing around here. Not trying to discredit you or nuthin'. :p

Everyone saying Chief would get in before Doomguy when we all know who would really get in before Doomguy.
PRISONER DUMPS THE INFO!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom