• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Minecraft already covers it's "schtick".
Actually, Building in Fortnite and Minecraft is completely different. A Fortnite Character's Building and Moveset as a whole would be completely different from Minecraft in Smash. Steve currently goes for the ground, like in Minecraft, so Jonesy could get a Loot Drop Item Gimmick with his Weapons being completely random. Just like a Battle Royale.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Minecraft already covers it's "schtick".
While I disagree with the notion that Minecraft only got in because it was "hip with the kids", a Fortnite character probably would have similar mechanics to Steve due to the gameplay loop of gathering resources and building walls n' stuff. I could see it getting passed on for that reason, though Byleth, the "distance demon", was preceded by Min Min so that's not really a guarantee either. lol

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Actually, Building in Fortnite and Minecraft is completely different. A Fortnite Character's Building and Moveset as a whole would be completely different from each other in Smash. Steve currently goes for the ground, like in Minecraft, so Jonesy could get a Loot Drop Item Gimmick with his Weapons being completely random. Just like a Battle Royale.
I also don't think that being "popular" means that they are a shoo in. Besides, like Valve, Epic Games really doesn't work with Nintendo that much, with Fortnite being their very first time on a Nintendo console.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You got to remember guys, Nintendo allowed Bethesda to put Doom on the SNES back in the day and they censored it to the extent of how NetherRealm Studios censored Mortal Kombat on the SNES I believe. It's possible for Sakurai to tone down Doom Slayer in Smash.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Violent debate again.

People have gotten over Steve already, eh?
Well, not me (or the competitive scene), we're so gonna have fun with Steve's Instant Shield Break (and Anvil Grab):

Fortnite is actually popular in Japan. So it could be considered.
Kind of? The most prominent BR there is Knives Out, and Apex has a solid foothold. But honestly I'd not be surprised if Fortnite was at least known there (given that Star Wars is really big there, and the MCU is humongous period, so Fortnite would have loads of exposure from those two there).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You got to remember guys, Nintendo allowed Bethesda to put Doom on the SNES back in the day and they censored it to the extent of how NetherRealm Studios censored Mortal Kombat on the SNES I believe. It's possible for Sakurai to tone down Doom Slayer in Smash.
It was actually the GBA version that was censored.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I also don't think that being "popular" means that they are a shoo in. Besides, like Valve, Epic Games really doesn't work with Nintendo that much, with Fortnite being their very first time on a Nintendo console.
You say that when there was an entire Switch Model dedicated to Fortnite at one time. With exclusive content for getting the Fortnite Bundle.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I actually think that a character from a gacha game is more likely than a character from an FPS.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its conversations/back and forth debates like this which always make later (potential) out of nowhere fighter reveals even more astounding. Like imagine looking back on this discussion of whether Master Chief or Doom Slayer would get in a year from now when it turned out we had Pocky & Rocky for fighter 9.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The only problem is that Dragalia Lost was never released in Europe, because gacha games aren't well liked over there.
I don't know why, but I don't think that's as big of a deal as people think. Yeah, there's the thing about Lucas, but Dragalia Lost at least isn't Japan-EXCLUSIVE. It does have a presence in other regions. Plus, there are... unofficial ways to play DL in Europe, if you're willing to look for them.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only problem is that Dragalia Lost was never released in Europe, because gacha games aren't well liked over there.
I think gacha games in general have trouble releasing in Europe due to it's laws against gambling. I wouldn't be surprised if this applied to all potential gacha reps.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Is Solid Snake sorta kinda an FPS rep? Forgive my ignorance, I believe the Metal Gear games are primarily third person, but there's first person sections as well right?

If we were to get a true FPS rep, though, I do want to see Chief before Doomguy (even though I wouldn't mind the latter, because he would make my dad incredibly happy!) Halo has resonated with me a lot more than Doom, and I think having a true Microsoft rep would really be game changing.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is Solid Snake sorta kinda an FPS rep? Forgive my ignorance, I believe the Metal Gear games are primarily third person, but there's first person sections as well right?

If we were to get a true FPS rep, though, I do want to see Chief before Doomguy (even though I wouldn't mind the latter, because he would make my dad incredibly happy!) Halo has resonated with me a lot more than Doom, and I think having a true Microsoft rep would really be game changing.
You have the option to aim in first person starting in Metal Gear Solid 2 (which resulted in some complaints about MGS: The Twin Snakes on the Gamecube, since the Revolver Ocelot fight wasn't designed for that), though they're generally third person stealth games. Snake's about as much of a first person shooter character as the Inklings are.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Its conversations/back and forth debates like this which always make later (potential) out of nowhere fighter reveals even more astounding. Like imagine looking back on this discussion of whether Master Chief or Doom Slayer would get in a year from now when it turned out we had Pocky & Rocky for fighter 9.
Like I said, Steve's blocky model and pixelated textures aren't the only way he's going to stick out from the rest of the pass.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the subject of game genres what's a character you would want and/or expect from a variety of them? The criteria for inclusion is that the character must have a main series game that fits the category. If it's a spin-off only character, then they get the genre of the most notable game(s) they appeared in.
Example:
  • Platformer
    • Want: Shovel Knight & Bandana Waddle Dee
    • Expect: No one
  • First Person Shooter
    • Expect: The Doom Slayer
  • Fighting
  • Beat 'em Up
    • Expect: Axel Stone
  • Stealth
    • Want: Elma :awesome:
  • Survival
  • Battle Royale
  • Rhythm
    • Want: Rhythm Choir
  • Horror
  • Metroidvania
  • Visual Novel
  • RPG
    • Want: Rex & Pyra/Mythra
    • Expect: Rex & Pyra/Mythra or the Dragonborn
  • Rougelike
  • Simulation
    • Expect: Sim
  • 4X
    • Expect: Someone from the Civilization series
  • Multiplayer Online Battle Arena
    • Expect: Someone from the League of Legends series
  • Real-Time Strategy
  • Tower Defense
  • Sports
  • Racing
  • MMO
    • Expect: The Litch King

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On the subject of game genres what's a character you would want and/or expect from a variety of them? The criteria for inclusion is that the character must have a main series game that fits the category. If it's a spin-off only character, then they get the genre of the most notable game(s) they appeared in.
Example:
  • Platformer
  • First Person Shooter
  • Fighting
  • Beat 'em Up
  • Stealth
  • Survival
  • Battle Royale
  • Rhythm
  • Horror
  • Metroidvania
  • Visual Novel
  • RPG
  • Rougelike
  • Simulation
  • 4X
  • Real-Time Strategy
  • Tower Defense
  • Sports
  • Racing
  • MMO
I expect the Doom Slayer all right...as a Mii Fighter costume.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Example:
  • Platformer
  • First Person Shooter
  • Fighting
  • Beat 'em Up
  • Stealth
  • Survival
  • Battle Royale
  • Rhythm
  • Horror
  • Metroidvania
  • Visual Novel
  • RPG
  • Rougelike
  • Simulation
  • 4X
  • Real-Time Strategy
  • Tower Defense
  • Sports
  • Racing
  • MMO
  • Platformer
    • Want: Crash Bandicoot
    • Expect: Crash Bandicoot
  • First Person Shooter
    • Want: Master Chief, Doom Slayer
  • Fighting
    • Want: Morrigan, Chun Li
    • Expect: Sol Badguy
  • Beat 'em Up
  • Stealth
  • Survival
  • Battle Royale
  • Rhythm
  • Horror
    • Want: Resident Evil rep
  • Metroidvania
    • Want: Miriam(Bloodstained)
  • Visual Novel
    • Want: Phoenix Wright, Saber
  • RPG
    • Want: Elma, Cinderace, Bravely Default rep
    • Expect: Rex & Pyra/Mythra or Lloyd
  • Rougelike
  • Simulation
  • 4X
  • Real-Time Strategy
  • Tower Defense
  • Sports
  • Racing
  • MMO
  • Puzzle
    • Want: Arle Nadja
    • Expect: Arle Nadja

I would love to be wrong about not expecting a visual novel rep though.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't know why, but I don't think that's as big of a deal as people think. Yeah, there's the thing about Lucas, but Dragalia Lost at least isn't Japan-EXCLUSIVE. It does have a presence in other regions. Plus, there are... unofficial ways to play DL in Europe, if you're willing to look for them.
I think gacha games in general have trouble releasing in Europe due to it's laws against gambling. I wouldn't be surprised if this applied to all potential gacha reps.
While the dislike against gacha isn't region-specific (there are a lot of people regardless of country who dislike gacha / lootboxes), a main reason why many European countries have taken that stance is because the issue of gacha / lootboxes are generally viewed as a consumer protection issue, and because there's a much stronger current that any gambling should be undertaken by people who are 18+.

There are a lot of gambling companies active in Europe (football / soccer is especially rife with them as sponsors, and it's caused problems there too), but in that case the ads are always targeted towards 18+. Gacha and lootboxes are seen as a problem by lawmakers partly because they indirectly circumvent the "18+" thing.

I did a writeup on that a month ago. I should note further that Belgium and the Netherlands are two important EU countries - Brussels is one of EU's main seats, and the Hague is the seat of numerous European organizations like the European Patent Office. Belgium and the Netherlands are also the two countries who have imposed the strictest anti-gacha / lootbox laws, so many companies really don't want to go through the hassle.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just trying to stir up a bit of discussion and speculation given how somewhat inactive things are.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom