• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I feel like we will get another Xenoblade character before Ultimate is over. Whether it's Rex or Elma, I feel like one of them will be one of the remaining 4 fighters in Fighter's Pass 2.
They could always throw us a curveball and include another XC1 character because of Definitive Edition.

Fiora or Melia would be great.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Cool little thing is that with certain inputs, you can determine what biome you get for Minecraft World.

Hmm, I wonder what happens if you do the Konami Code...

toonito

Smash Ace
What Characters do you Think are Very Likely for Smash 6, if they are not DLC
Ring Fit Trainee
Gen 9 Pokemon: if a Galar pokemon doesn't get in FP2 then I think the ship has likely sailed for them
New Fire Emblem Protagonist

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be honest, I can see why it sucks when people tell you your character is overrated or just “not going to happen”. That sucks. When you really like something and somebody tells you it “sucks”, yeah. It’s disheartening.

I feel as though everybody knows deep down that clearly not every fan want is going to be playable, it’s a simple fact that cannot be avoided. With 4 spots left, you just can’t cram every fan want into the game.

I’ll end this post with the following: While I don’t think it’s wise to count any particular character out, I think if we continue to see Challenger Packs that very specifically focus on games/franchises with a significant lack of content, folks will need to come to grips with the fact that some characters just...probably won’t happen.

I’m not saying that to tell anybody their character sucks or that they’re dumb for wanting said character- I’m approaching this merely on the process of a dreaded pattern and observation. We’re 7 packs in and the only one that barely scratches the surface of “repeat content” is Min Min. Everything else: character, stage, and spirits have been completely new.

We can say, “There is nothing stopping Sakurai and Nintendo from adding (insert spirit or AT)”, but based on what we’ve seen so far, it seems to me at least like some “upgrade” candidates just don’t fit things as well.

Yes, I know, you can give Waluigi a Mario Kart stage, or Bandanna Dee a “new Kirby stage” but you have to admit that’s simply different from everything up this point. Sure, us forumgoers care “only about the character”, but that’s not how these packs are marketed. There are three very important parts and, in my humble opinion, the fanbase should approach DLC speculation with that in mind.

I admire the passion Smash fans have. But I must wonder- at what point, if this trend continues and we continue to get entirely “new” things, will folks begin to think/accept their characters are out?

I want nothing more than for folks to be excited and happy with a character reveal, but at some point the writing is going to be on the wall for particular characters and we’re more than likely going to need to address that.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
To be honest, I can see why it sucks when people tell you your character is overrated or just “not going to happen”. That sucks. When you really like something and somebody tells you it “sucks”, yeah. It’s disheartening.

I feel as though everybody knows deep down that clearly not every fan want is going to be playable, it’s a simple fact that cannot be avoided. With 4 spots left, you just can’t cram every fan want into the game.

I’ll end this post with the following: While I don’t think it’s wise to count any particular character out, I think if we continue to see Challenger Packs that very specifically focus on games/franchises with a significant lack of content, folks will need to come to grips with the fact that some characters just...probably won’t happen.

I’m not saying that to tell anybody their character sucks or that they’re dumb for wanting said character- I’m approaching this merely on the process of a dreaded pattern and observation. We’re 7 packs in and the only one that barely scratches the surface of “repeat content” is Min Min. Everything else: character, stage, and spirits have been completely new.

We can say, “There is nothing stopping Sakurai and Nintendo from adding (insert spirit or AT), but based on what we’ve seen so far, it seems to me at least like some “upgrade” candidates just don’t fit things as well.

Yes, I know, you can give Waluigi a Mario Kart stage, or Bandanna Dee a “new Kirby stage” but you have to admit that’s simply different from everything up this point. Sure, is forumgoers care “only about the character”, but that’s not how these packs are marketed. There are three very important parts and, in my humble opinion, the fanbase should approach DLC speculation with that in mind.

I admire the passion Smash fans have. But I must wonder- at what point, if this trend continues and we continue to get entirely “new” things, will folks begin to think their characters are out?

I want nothing more than for folks to be excited and happy with a character reveal, but at some point the writing is going to be on the wall for particular characters and we’re more than likely going to need to address that.
I think two critical things to making that happen. First is being able to find value in what does come and diving in deep to new characters to get the most out of them even if they're not really preferred. Maybe its the music, the stage, some part of the moveset, or even a Mii costume. Find something novel and notable that still allows for excitement at new content that's arrived.

Secondly is imagining and playing out in one's head the scenario that your character simply does not get in, and essentially preparing for that accordingly. I'd love Impa, Bandana Dee, and Dixie Kong in Fighter's Pass 2. Realistically given what we've seen and what would make the most sense for Nintendo, none of them are really likely. I'm not fond of that, but I've thought about it enough to the point where I can take a deep breath, play the games they are in, and hope that the fighters that do appear have an element to really enjoy. I was indifferent to Byleth, but found their special moves satisfying. I hope I can do something similar with whomever comes over the next year.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

Post your opinion that will get this kind of reaction from Smash community!

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
I come here to get away from Twiiter threads reply bait like these
Cool little thing is that with certain inputs, you can determine what biome you get for Minecraft World.

So why couldn’t they do this for the Gamer stage and other things with random stags layouts?

Last edited:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
WFT was a waste, and RFT would be a waste.
I like Wii Fit Trainer a lot. They’re an interesting inclusion and pretty fun to play! Only character I hate the inclusion of and think is a total waste is Plant. So many better and interesting characters could’ve been picked other than that thing. Also the plant gang memes got VERY annoying VERY fast. Anytime I see them I wanna smash my head till it’s nothing but ears

Shroob

Sup?
That's a terrible idea.
Much as I like this game, I'd rather not be stuck with it forever.
Depends for me.

If the next game is a streamlined roster with only marginal improvements, gonna take a lot of pulling teeth to get me to give up nearly 90 characters and 110+ stages.

That's kinda the issue with future games. How do you surpass Ultimate if you can't beat it content wise? I'm sure gameplay tweaks will always occur, but Ultimate's sheer girth of content is always going to be something that they have to compete with, and frankly put, as a casual player, I really don't care if they improve the gameplay to be even better than it is now. Big roster and stage number make me happy.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
What Characters do you Think are Very Likely for Smash 6, if they are not DLC
Waluigi
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dixie Kong
Octoling
Ring Fit
Akira Howard
Frisk, Kris or Sans
Crash

I think Waluigi, BanDee & Dixie will be the Ridley/K Rools of the next game. Characters that Nintendo specifically saved for the next game to help sell it.

I’ve also had a theory that Sakurai &/or Nintendo want to give new IPs some breathing room before putting them into Smash. Min-Min definitley could’ve been added into FP1, but they decided to wait even longer. Akira & Ring Fit could’ve also been in FP2 as well; releasing them in 2021 would’ve given Sakurai enough time to get familiar with them. But they’re seemingly out of the running for now. So I think it’s to give these IPs some room to grow a fanbase outside of Smash.

As long as Undertale/Deltarune don’t drop off the face of the Earth, I imagine we’ll see a full character next time. Undertale is one of the most beloved games of the past decade, with a strong presence in Japan. The Sans costume was one of the biggest reveals Ultimate’s had so far. It’d be an easy popular third party for Nintendo to get.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

We can say, “There is nothing stopping Sakurai and Nintendo from adding (insert spirit or AT)”, but based on what we’ve seen so far, it seems to me at least like some “upgrade” candidates just don’t fit things as well.

Yes, I know, you can give Waluigi a Mario Kart stage, or Bandanna Dee a “new Kirby stage” but you have to admit that’s simply different from everything up this point. Sure, us forumgoers care “only about the character”, but that’s not how these packs are marketed. There are three very important parts and, in my humble opinion, the fanbase should approach DLC speculation with that in mind.

I admire the passion Smash fans have. But I must wonder- at what point, if this trend continues and we continue to get entirely “new” things, will folks begin to think their characters are out?

My main problem with the idea that DLC will only attract new audiences is that it completely destroys any excuse for how little effort was put into the base game by comparison. By sacrificing new content for all veterans, they nerfed the newcomer rate for the base game. But now they've spent more time on the DLC than the release window of the game, and that feels blatantly unfair to what they could have added from the start. And that's just for newcomer speculation. Going back to unpopular opinions, I maintain that Ultimate's base game was not all that decently put together, and would be remarkably close to being as unmemorable as 4 if not for a few advantages.

I'm not even inherently saying you're wrong, but I know why many of us won't want to admit that. I've waited 8 years for a new character from Kirby and I definitely won't be happy if I have to wait longer. I'm sure there's a possibility we're stuck with the three characters we have as long as Sakurai's directing; but the idea nothing can be done destroys people.

Shroob

Sup?
My main problem with the idea that DLC will only attract new audiences is that it completely destroys any excuse for how little effort was put into the base game by comparison. By sacrificing new content for all veterans, they nerfed the newcomer rate for the base game. But now they've spent more time on the DLC than the release window of the game, and that feels blatantly unfair to what they could have added from the start. And that's just for newcomer speculation. Going back to unpopular opinions, I maintain that Ultimate's base game was not all that decently put together, and would be remarkably close to being as unmemorable as 4 if not for a few advantages.

I'm not even inherently saying you're wrong, but I know why many of us won't want to admit that. I've waited 8 years for a new character from Kirby and I definitely won't be happy if I have to wait longer. I'm sure there's a possibility we're stuck with the three characters we have as long as Sakurai's directing; but the idea nothing can be done destroys people.
Unpopular opinion incoming, but while I agree Ultimate's base roster's newcomer amount was very low, I stand by the fact that the fact we got literally everyone back more than makes up for it.

Characters like Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, etc aren't just ported over from older games, they're brand new models, so while they didn't need to make brand new movesets, they definitely took more time to bring in than the Smash 4 roster imo.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Unpopular opinion incoming, but while I agree Ultimate's base roster's newcomer amount was very low, I stand by the fact that the fact we got literally everyone back more than makes up for it.

Characters like Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, etc aren't just ported over from older games, they're brand new models, so while they didn't need to make brand new movesets, they definitely took more time to bring in than the Smash 4 roster imo.
Yeah, base game and DLC feel completely different. Base SSBU was all about the old content, so the DLC needs to have newcomers.

D

Deleted member

I saw this thread was throwing some unpopular opinions around, so I guess I'll throw a few that would come across as controversial

-Fighter Passes based around wish fulfilment are boring since they only go to characters favored by the majority of Smash fans.

-actual leaks like datamines and Nintendo ****ing up with trademarks are the only real source of evidence for a character being added to Smash because everything else are novelties that would make them appear more favorable than others (i.e: Smash requests, switch ports, games being on a Nintendo platform before, relationship with Nintendo, etc.). The factors going for a character don't equate to being in Smash until they either get leaked or revealed.

Shroob

Sup?
I saw this thread was throwing some unpopular opinions around, so I guess I'll throw a few that would come across as controversial

-Fighter Passes based around wish fulfilment are boring since they only go to characters favored by the majority of Smash fans.

-actual leaks like datamines and Nintendo ****ing up with trademarks are the only real source of evidence for a character being added to Smash because everything else are novelties that would make them appear more favorable than others (i.e: Smash requests, switch ports, games being on a Nintendo platform before, relationship with Nintendo, etc.). The factors going for a character don't equate to being in Smash until they either get leaked or revealed.
+whenever an actual credible leaker leaks them like 10~ minutes before their presentation.

Like, at that point if someone like Imran or Zhunge say it, it's pretty much word of gospel, even if it is basically soo close it doesn't matter.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... y'know how Nintendo of America tweeted that "Fall 2021" amiibo graphic, and then deleted it? Turns out... Nintendo of Canada tweeted the same thing on the exact same day... and the tweet is still up.

This thing keeps on getting stranger and stranger. This isn't limbo anymore... this is... ADVANCED LIMBO.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
24 hours to go eh?

I can wait.
Of course, you probably want to also factor in the high probability of the servers crashing and extremely long loading times as well like with Joker, considering Steve was able to crash both Twitter and Smashboards with just his reveal, let alone Nintendo's already fragile servers.

So probably a little more than 24 hours before you would actually get to play the DLC.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Ultimate's base game roster was already perfect from the get go because we knew about :ultinkling: day one, so I was cool with a low amount of newcomers. :nifty:

...No, I'm not biased. Definitely not biased. What gave you that idea?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Question; would the base newcomer roster for Ultimate be any better if :ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta: were saved for Ultimate as base game newcomers?
Probably, because that would necessitate for other characters to be added as DLC to fill out the gaps, increasing the overall quality of the roster as a whole. We're not going to remove those four without filling the gaps, because three veterans is not enough to keep the DLC afloat.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Probably, because that would necessitate for other characters to be added as DLC to fill out the gaps, increasing the overall quality of the roster as a whole. We're not going to remove those four without filling the gaps, because three veterans is not enough to keep the DLC afloat.
Hmm...then maybe, in Smash 4’s case, we could get :ultyounglink::ultwolf::ultpichu:, and solo Popo with a condor as the Up B?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Question; would the base newcomer roster for Ultimate be any better if :ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultbayonetta: were saved for Ultimate as base game newcomers?
Yes, in the same way the base newcomer roster for Ultimate would be better if every character previously was saved for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You gonna pretend that's not a demographic they create content expressly to cater towards?
I mean, depends on the person. From an outsider's perspective it definitely seems like this is viewed as socially acceptable by them, but the term otaku has actual negative connotations in Japan. Like, calling someone an otaku is straight up a direct insult.

Like, not saying it's okay, it's businesses exploiting a market, but I'd wager most Japanese folk aren't really happy about it when the term otaku is actually viewed in a negative light there.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Unpopular Opinion: Smash Brothers is a silly game with silly characters and a silly director, and the fanbase takes it and its roster waaaay too seriously.

Don't know how unpopular this take is but eh, figured I'd throw it out.
That's not an opinion, mate, that's a stone cold, evidence-backed scientific fact.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, depends on the person. From an outsider's perspective it definitely seems like this is viewed as socially acceptable by them, but the term otaku has actual negative connotations in Japan. Like, calling someone an otaku is straight up a direct insult.
We weren't talking about otaku. But the sentiment is the same.

The behavior is frowned upon there, but it's still acceptable to market to those who engage in that behavior.

1602555155912.png

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
We weren't talking about otaku. But the sentiment is the same.

The behavior is frowned upon there, but it's still acceptable to market to those who engage in that behavior.
Well, I mean, I didn't want to say it specifically, just that, you technically can't be that, without being an otaku first. :4pacman:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Next in line for Fire Emblem would be a remake, and next in line is...

Ah **** it's Marth with a horse. At least FE4 is a good game though
Remakes (thankfully) don't get priority via Nintendo or garner sufficient support to want. We've seen it with Gen 3 Pokémon/Skull kid/Kris for smash 4 and Celica/LoZ Hilda/Let's Go and possibly no Xenoblade 1 rep after its 3rd remake so why would it be any different now?

I should mention, Chronobound wasn't the one that made up that story, he merely made an anecdote about how there were certain "Sigurd Fans" that tried to propoagate this rumor.
I wouldn't trust that about a character who scored way worse than Ogma in a popularity poll so yea. There's probably way bigger fish to fry if "big sighs" another FE character is in route. Like the aforementioned Lyn or Edelgard that people can't seem to stop talking about

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom