• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Anyone else think we're not going to get another Pokémon?
On one hand, we got SwoShi as DLC spirits. On the other hand, the first pass is unique as it's the only time a Pokemon wasn't added in Smash and Pokemon's always been a special exception to Sakurai's typical design philosophy

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Anyone else think we're not going to get another Pokémon?
I don't think any of the viable choices from Gen 8 will need the same dev cycle as the past two fighters. This may be my bias speaking but the only Pokemon with enough promotion to be considered that'd need such a long period of development is Eevee. Once again, that may just be me being biased from considering it the Waluigi/Lyn/Bandana Dee/Dixie Kong of Pokemon due to its massive popularity and promotion.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I wonder what Steve's tournament and Classic Mode will be.
Tbh, I never really got into Minecraft, so I've no idea what they'll reference in Classic... just please, give me a boss other than Hands.

Also, about being able to pick the Minecraft stage forms: I wish you'd be able to do that on a few other stages, like Paper Mario, Spiral Mountain and Delfino Plaza.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think someone posted a time chart a page or two ago....

About 13 and a half hours from now I believe, which was around the same time Joker came out if I recall.

D

Deleted member

I really want another Pokemon, but this pass is all over the place. I place their chances at 50-50 (might be a low energy ending to the pass like Byleth was for FP1). Higher chances if a third SwSh DLC is revealed.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
They did it for DK and Joker's Classic modes. Unless the stage had some sort of hazard or a structure that made it impossible, I don't see why they can't do it.
That was only for Master Hand, as those were specifically Omega stages. I'm not sure how mixing Rathalos in Marx's would work, if even possible.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That was only for Master Hand, as those were specifically Omega stages. I'm not sure how mixing Rathalos in Marx's would work, if even possible.
True, but both Rathalos' and Marx' stages have a very similar structure. In fact, most boss stages do, except for Dracula's (which I think is smaller than the rest) and Giga Bowser (who basically uses FD).

So I don't see why it would be a problem, at least in terms of stage structure. Maybe they hard-coded something and that`s what's preventing them from doing it more, but I can`t see the levels being a problem.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
True, but both Rathalos' and Marx' stages have a very similar structure. In fact, most boss stages do, except for Dracula's (which I think is smaller than the rest) and Giga Bowser (who basically uses FD).

So I don't see why it would be a problem, at least in terms of stage structure. Maybe they hard-coded something and that`s what's preventing them from doing it more, but I can`t see the levels being a problem.
I think some modder managed to get the bosses to work on other stages didn't they? Or at least with Galeem and Darkhon...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
What Characters do you Think are Very Likely for Smash 6, if they are not DLC
Assuming that none of these characters are DLC for Smash Ultimate:
  • Waluigi
  • Captain Toad
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dixie Kong
  • Gen 9 Pokemon
  • Octoling
  • Spring Man (assuming ARMS keeps going, which it probably will)
  • Issac
  • Ring Fit Adventurer (assuming Ring Fit Adventure keeps going, which it probably will)
  • Akira Howard (assuming Astral Chain keeps going, which it probably will)
  • Jill and/or Leon
  • Dante (assuming his current popularity keeps up)
  • Heihachi
  • Lloyd
  • Crash Bandicoot (assuming his current popularity keeps up)
  • Master Chief

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
We'll definitly get Another Sonic Character in Smash 6, (even if it has to be through DLC), assuming we don't get one in Ultimate DLC

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The only character that I feel confident about for Smash 6 is Octoling, since they're an easy echo fighter, popular enough to get an extensive DLC campaign in Splatoon 2, and it seems incredibly unlikely that the Inklings are going to be removed. Maybe we'll get an assist trophy promotion that people have wanted to see for a while (Waluigi? Isaac?), but I'm not as sure about that.

Rex and Pyra could happen (a lot of Smash games focus on the previous generation of home consoles), but maybe they'd be focusing on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 or a Xenoblade Chronicles X remake by that point. Beyond that, I have no idea; a lot of it seems to depend on how Smash 6 is handled.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Kiryu will probably replace Sonic in Smash 6.

I could see Kiryu replacing more Joker. Persona games all have different protagonist, so Joker will probably be forgotten by the time the next Smash game will come. That being said, Yakuza is also trying to change protagonist from what I've seen, so maybe at that point they would choose Kasuga who's the main character of Yakuza like a dragon and will most likely be the main character for the future of the serie.

SKX31

Smash Master
Tbh, I never really got into Minecraft, so I've no idea what they'll reference in Classic... just please, give me a boss other than Hands.

Also, about being able to pick the Minecraft stage forms: I wish you'd be able to do that on a few other stages, like Paper Mario, Spiral Mountain and Delfino Plaza.
Arena Ferox and Ganer could benefit from that too, especially since its layout being random is a main reason why it's not competitively viable (and casually it can be frustrating if one wants to play it Hazards Off and wind up with a layout one doesn't like).

(Hazards On / Off should be more customizable - that is, players should be able to exclude aspects of a stage they don't like while keeping those that they do. That or make Hazards On / Off more consistent, some stages still behave like Hazards On when Hazards Off is chosen. Looking at you Living Room.)

I don't believe we are. But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised as it would be a very Nintendo like move to do to promote something they have promoted to death.
It's really difficult to argue against Nintendo promoting Pokemon to death when it

* Has shown excellent results; Sw / Sh is the best selling Pokemon duo since Gold / Silver, and

* Still has a lot of room to grow, and not just other countries. Although that is a major part of it - sure, Nintendo won't get all 720 million gamers in China* to play Pokemon, but getting even a fraction of that would 100 % be worth it for Nintendo. Even if the Chinese state / regime is obstructionist as **** when it comes to video games and every skeleton in the closet that comes with that.

*(link to Niko Partners' report - Niko Partners is the firm ZhugeEx works at.)

I could see Kiryu replacing more Joker. Persona games all have different protagonist, so Joker will probably be forgotten by the time the next Smash game will come. That being said, Yakuza is also trying to change protagonist from what I've seen, so maybe at that point they would choose Kasuga who's the main character of Yakuza like a dragon and will most likely be the main character for the future of the serie.
Not if Joker stays top tier in Ultimate and the competitive people talk about him so much that even casual players will start associating Ultimate with a high school student shouting out "Arsene!" much like how even casuals associate Melee with :foxmelee: , Brawl with :metaknight: and Sm4sh with :4bayonetta: .

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If any third party's going on the chopping block, it's definitely not gonna be Sonic, I can assure you
Yeah, 'cause they're finally gonna add in Eggman! We'll get more Sonic content at last next game! :yeahboi:

Sega, Nintendo, please. :(

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Arena Ferox and Ganer could benefit from that too, especially since its layout being random is a main reason why it's not competitively viable (and casually it can be frustrating if one wants to play it Hazards Off and wind up with a layout one doesn't like).

(Hazards On / Off should be more customizable - that is, players should be able to exclude aspects of a stage they don't like while keeping those that they do. That or make Hazards On / Off more consistent, some stages still behave like Hazards On when Hazards Off is chosen. Looking at you Living Room.)
Yeah, we could definitely get more competitively viable stages if that was a thing. Spiral Mountain, Castle Siege, Arena Ferox, Yggdrasil's Altar and Gamer are just a few that could benefit greatly from that in the competitive scene.

Being able to toggle Hazards On and Off individually would be good too. Could bring back Dream Land and Fountain of Dreams, as they'd be even more distinct from BF.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah, 'cause they're finally gonna add in Eggman! We'll get more Sonic content at last next game! :yeahboi:

If I'm a Prophet, We won't have to wait till next game for More Sonic content...

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Whether this game, or the next, I definitely would be over the moon if they added Blaze the Cat for Sma-

Pelted with foxes plushies, eggs, and unopened razor blades

Agh! Okay, okay I get it sheesh!

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Alrighty, who wants to bet how long it takes for Steve to be forgotten after launch, I bet 100 on red that in a week after he is out, no one will talk about him again
I give people until the end of the day to realize they'll never figure out how to use Steve and drop him like a brick.

Momentary

Smash Cadet
Lets say hypothetically the crash document leak is real. Would that mean that pass 2 was decided in 2018? and thus any characters discussed by their characters afterwards would be deconfirmed because they would be under NDA?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Lets say hypothetically the crash document leak is real. Would that mean that pass 2 was decided in 2018? and thus any characters discussed by their characters afterwards would be deconfirmed because they would be under NDA?
Well I don't think that means Pass 2 was decided in 2018. Perhaps some characters were considered should Extra DLC be a thing, But I don't think a Full FP2 was decided by that point

As for the Crash Document, I think if it was real, That Activision would have talked to Nintendo when New Smash was released, or revealed, somewhere in between then.

I think when talking about the NDA and decomnfirmations, I'd say it depends on timing. Anywhere in 2018 and the first half of 2019, I'd say the discussion on whether a character is deconfirmed is up in the air. The 2nd Half of 2019 and then beyond I would lead on them being Deconfirmed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom