• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
Hot take I still don’t consider Vault Boy or Bomberman PreMiium

imo it only applies to costumes that come with songs, regardless of the complexity of their design. On a side note I’d have liked the Bomberman costume to come with some Bomberman 64 songs, absolute bangers
That's fair. I do think you'd have to insert a tier between bog standard mii costume and Premium in that case for something like Vault Boy or Bomberman though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's fair. I do think you'd have to insert a tier between bog standard mii costume and Premium in that case for something like Vault Boy or Bomberman though.
Regular - just a regular Mii costume. No face mask like Sans or Vault Boy; no music either
Detailed - comes with a full face mask instead of wig like Vault Boy and Bomberman. Does NOT come with music
PreMiium - comes with music (The devs would pay extra to license that bonus song) May or may not have a full face mask like Detailed costumes

I wanna see a PreMiium with just a wig as opposed to full face mask but with a song. Hoping Gunvolt could be such an example

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I kind of wish all Mii costumes from unrepresented series had a music track come with them. It makes them worth buying for the music alone. Sad to see them play N.M.H when they showed Travis' mii costume and not have the song come with it. It would have fit pretty well with wrecking crew.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kind of wish all Mii costumes from unrepresented series had a music track come with them. It makes them worth buying for the music alone. Sad to see them play N.M.H when they showed Travis' mii costume and not have the song come with it. It would have fit pretty well with wrecking crew.
The Tekken 7 menu theme in Heihachi’s segment would have been dope to hear in smash itself

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I was so bummed that Altiar didn't come with "Ezio's Family" despite being played during the trailer

Missed opportunity right there. Absolutely killer song

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That could make for some interesting user lists; go through every series that has Mii Costumes but with no fighters and assign one track to go with them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That could make for some interesting user lists; go through every series that has Mii Costumes but with no fighters and assign one track to go with them.
My opinion may be a bit controversial but if they really don’t wanna make Rex playable they could have included just one more XC2 song with his costume

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I was so bummed that Altiar didn't come with "Ezio's Family" despite being played during the trailer

The fact that Altair from the Altair™ series uses Ezio's Family only reinforces how odd it is that Ezio wasn't used. He's the face of the series, for Pete's sake!

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I went 1 step further and made my list all the series that have mii costumes that don't have any music that is why Golden Sun and Panel De Pon aren't on here

-Fallout - Fallout 4 - Main Theme
-Virtua Fighter - Ride The Tiger
-Tekken - Solitude
-Assassins Creed - Ezio's Family
-Goemon - Mystical Ninja Goemon - Main Theme
-Sin & Punishment - Morph
-Rabbids - MidBoss Mayhem
-Custom Robo - Are You Ready?
-Chibi Robo - Abandoned Memories
-Labo - Labo Menu
-Bomberman - Redial
-No More Heroes - N.M.H.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The fact that Altair from the Altair™ series uses Ezio's Family only reinforces how odd it is that Ezio wasn't used. He's the face of the series, for Pete's sake!
I believe Altiar is considered the more popular Assassin in Japan.

And iirc, when recording Announcer voice lines for 4, Xander Mobus was given a whole lotta dummy names to keep the real characters uber top secret. One of em was Altiar, with no Ezio in sight. He personally found it pretty odd too.

Man, speaking of voice lines. We're actually gonna be hearing Mobus blurt out "STEVE!", "ALEX!", "ZOMBIE!", and "ENDERMAN!"... What is this timeline? Lol

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

And iirc, when recording lines for 4, Xander Mobus was given a whole lotta dummy names to keep the real characters uber top secret. One of em was Altiar, with no Ezio in sight. He personally found it pretty odd too.
Do you have link to those other names?

SKX31

Smash Master
Hmm

That is beyond ****ing absurd. What the hell Disney.
Public PR and being concious about one's image is one hell of a drug.

The fact that Altair from the Altair™ series uses Ezio's Family only reinforces how odd it is that Ezio wasn't used. He's the face of the series for Pete's sake!.
Especially given that Ezio's voice actor is already in the game (as :ultsonic: ). If they went so far to get Altaïr it wouldn't have been that much more of a hassle to get Ezio if they wanted to.

That + Rayman being seemingly stuck in limbo is leading me to believe that Prince of Persia has a somewhat stronger chance than previously. I should put a disclaimer here and say I'm not fully confident that that's actually the case, but given that Prince of Persia is a spiritual "parent series" to AC I wouldn't be entirely surprised.

I'd welcome either the Prince or Ezio / another Assassin, so I'm good either way. Just find the Mii costume odd to say the least.

And iirc, when recording lines for 4, Xander Mobus was given a whole lotta dummy names to keep the real characters uber top secret. One of em was Altiar, with no Ezio in sight. He personally found it pretty odd too.
Edit: Misread a Japanese source and thought AC1 got its own manga adaptation at first. I did a small writeup about AC in Japan a week-ish ago, although the results are kind of inconclusive there IIRC.

Last edited:

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Do you have link to those other names?

Xander talks about it in this stream starting from around 32:00 (mentions Altair closer to 34:00). From my memory, he mentions saying Altair, Rayman (which he recorded after the Omni leak), and Simon Belmont. I believe he has also expressed that he did not believe that Duck Hunt and Cloud were actually in the game and thought they were fake names.

I wonder if Nintendo had Xander do new recordings for Simon or if they just used the old ones.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Totally serious theory time!

Ducktales 2017 released a Halloween episode recently and some observant viewers might notice something about Webby's costume.
Look familiar? Now was this just a cheeky reference to a gory M-rated game that flew under the radar, or did it mean something more? Perhaps...something relating to Smash Bros.
All you fools thoughts that Cacomallow was pointing towards Geno, or Doomguy, or if you were really insane you may of thought that leak was just a hoax. But only I, though my superior powers of observation, was able to see the true meaning of the leak. That's right, the next Challenger is going to be the long requested fan-favorite no one thought was possible.

Launchpad McQuack
Crashes The Party!

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
apparently, Disney just hands out Kingdom Hearts to anyone that wants to use it for merch and stuff according to Kingdom Hearts YouTuber because he said that he saw some of the ugliest Kingdom Hearts merchandise ever because Disney just hands out it out like "idgaf"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm late for the Sora talk but I'll drop my two cents anyway.

"Sora wouldn't be well represented without Disney, you can't just have him in Smash without Donald or Goofy!"

Just like we can't have Cloud without Tifa or Barret... or literally any content besides his stage. KH has plenty of original worlds to use for a stage, Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, Hallow Bastion, Twilight Town, The World That Never Was, etc. Those worlds also have plenty of original music not like Sora would get more than two tracks. Sora has so much to use for a moveset that doesn't involve Donald or Goofy as well, and no RPG character in Smash just has their party members hanging around anyway, they only ever show up for final smashes and Sora has the perfect option for that with his keyhole blasty thing without Dolan and Gooby. There's plenty of original characters for a spirit board as well, Kairi, Riku, Roxas, Namine, Ansem/Xehanort/Xemnas/whatever, Organization XIII...

Not to say that Disney won't stop him anyway, it'll be a cold day in hell before Smash gets Sora from their grubby claws, but if anyone can do it, it's Sakurai...

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
apparently, Disney just hands out Kingdom Hearts to anyone that wants to use it for merch and stuff according to Kingdom Hearts YouTuber because he said that he saw some of the ugliest Kingdom Hearts merchandise ever because Disney just hands out it out like "idgaf"
Here is an example of ugly Kingdom Hearts merchandise

I'm sure that Nintendo would be able to cooperate with Disney if Sora were to happen, It can't get worse than whatever the fresh hell that thing is

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

I'm sure that Nintendo would be able to cooperate with Disney if Sora were to happen, It can't get worse than whatever the fresh hell that thing is
IMG_20180524_012739.png

Back, demon!

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I wanted to ask

If it came down between these Two, who do you think Sakurai/Nintendo Would Pick?

Lloyd or Elma

Both wield TWO Swords, both wear alot of Red, come from RPG's, and have some mechanic that allows them to Chain Special Moves together. Who do you think Nintendo/Sakurai would choose?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So I wanted to ask

If it came down between these Two, who do you think Sakurai/Nintendo Would Pick?

Lloyd or Elma

Both wield TWO Swords, both wear alot of Red, come from RPG's, and have some mechanic that allows them to Chain Special Moves together. Who do you think Nintendo/Sakurai would choose?
Well obviously Lloyd, he's a 3rd party character which brings in an entirely new franchise.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So I wanted to ask

Lloyd or Elma

Probably Lloyd. He's a popular request and the closest thing we have to the mascot of Tales, itself a large and influential JRPG to the point that it's even put up there with the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Elma's game is stuck on the Wii U, while there's another game in the Xenoblade series that's on the Switch and still gets promoted to this day, not to mention Rex is still a popular request for Smash. Sure, we could get an XCX port, but immediately after XC:DE? We'll probably have to wait another year for just an announcement, and by then it's too little, too late.

Slabfish

Banned via Administration
So I wanted to ask

Lloyd or Elma

oh gee, a character who brings in an entire new franchise into smash, or another xenoblade character. this is a tough one

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
My two ceents on the Bethesda repping from a page or so back is I'd find it bizarre that they'd pick Dragonborn or a Fallout rep (Which I think they wouldn't for Fallout, which was why Vault Boy is a Mii) because Dragonborn is such a NOT character. Just a literal generic mascot but that character itself has nothing to do with the game. It isn't like he is in the game and you find him and something happens involving him. Your PC is the the Dragonborn but they needed some dude for the cover art/promotional material. Just like with Fallout, Vault Boy would be the closest thing to a character they could use but what could they even do with it?

Which leaves Doomguy who is, of the three Bethesda franchises right now that actually has a character/mascot with any form of personality (Saying a lot considering he's helmeted all the time). I think he'd get in just by having way more options to work with as a character and being recognizable. The Dragonborn 'character' was always forgettable to me as 'generic warrior man'.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
So I wanted to ask

Lloyd or Elma

Lloyd is the closest to Yuri i'll get so I guess him

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Not even an Assassin's Creed fan and I love that song. Super huge missed opportunity.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for the piece of merchandise because of its misfortune, or if it should be tossed into the fire.

Blinks, notices what happened to the Keyblade.

Oh. My. God. Burn it.

So I wanted to ask

Lloyd or Elma

I'm not as confident as Idon Idon here, but saying Lloyd at 65 / 35. Not just due to him being third party - IIRC Lloyd has a lot of freedom re: chaining the special moves in question, and his Challenger Pack would be rather straightforward.

That's not to say that Elma would be out of the picture - particularly since she has a lot as well - but I get the feeling that she's reliant on her home game getting a re-release or Furukawa / Sakurai personally leaning towards her, which I'm not willing to bet on.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just want another Kirby rep in smash. I really hope they add Magolor. He's been getting a lot of love recently, having a whole mode dedicated to RTDL in Star Allies and now recently being added to Kirby Fighters 2.
Anything Kirby is good. On my list, every potential candidate is somewhere between "most wanted" and "Not actively supporting but would be cool." Can't bring myself to hate any of them.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So I wanted to ask

Lloyd or Elma

I'd say Lloyd without a doubt in my mind. It's another company partnership, he has a healthy amount of fan requests and Sakurai has said before he would choose Lloyd as his Tales rep (Whether or not his mind has changed is up for debate). That being said, the problem Lloyd faces is that Nintendo doesn't really seem to bother with Namco, probably because they're working on Smash Bros but that's just my guess as to the reason for the lack of Namco characters.

With Elma, I'd say the odds are massively stacked against her. She has to deal with Rex who is pretty big competition for her. His game is on Switch, making it easy for newcomers to buy the games and has arguably more fan requests. Whether they will port Xenoblade Chronicles X is still up in the air but by the time that's announced, It might already be too late for her and even then, Nintendo focuses their picks on new games rather than remakes and ports. Even with those not counted, there is also a chance they might pick Cross if Nintendo ignores fan requests like with Byleth over the more popular Edelgard. I can't think of anything she has over other characters other than fan requests but support for her isn't very big by comparison.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My two ceents on the Bethesda repping from a page or so back is I'd find it bizarre that they'd pick Dragonborn because Dragonborn is such a NOT character. Just a literal generic mascot but that character itself has nothing to do with the game. It isn't like he is in the game and you find him and something happens involving him. Your PC is the the Dragonborn but they needed some dude for the cover art/promotional material. The Dragonborn 'character' was always forgettable to me as 'generic warrior man'.
We literally just got Steve.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Never mind we already had Villager and Pokemon Trainer too. Only the Fire Emblem avatars actually were fleshed out. We have multiple avatars in Smash.

This was never an issue. "Lack of personality" is barely a thing, as Steve is as blank slate as you can get. Only Villager comes close to having no canon personality otherwise.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
So I wanted to ask

Lloyd or Elma

Lloyd they would pick, but I prefer Elma. The only Tales protags I like are Yuri and Velvet.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
My two ceents on the Bethesda repping from a page or so back is I'd find it bizarre that they'd pick Dragonborn or a Fallout rep (Which I think they wouldn't for Fallout, which was why Vault Boy is a Mii) because Dragonborn is such a NOT character. Just a literal generic mascot but that character itself has nothing to do with the game. It isn't like he is in the game and you find him and something happens involving him. Your PC is the the Dragonborn but they needed some dude for the cover art/promotional material. Just like with Fallout, Vault Boy would be the closest thing to a character they could use but what could they even do with it?

Which leaves Doomguy who is, of the three Bethesda franchises right now that actually has a character/mascot with any form of personality (Saying a lot considering he's helmeted all the time). I think he'd get in just by having way more options to work with as a character and being recognizable. The Dragonborn 'character' was always forgettable to me as 'generic warrior man'.
As said before, the Dragonborn wouldn't be much different from Villager or Steve in that regard. They are a fully customizable character, but they are still your means of immersing yourself into the world and exploring everything it has to offer, which gives them a connection to many players since they are who you identify with. Additionally, them having 'some dude' on the cover and promotional art is a positive as that gives them an appearance to use since that image is very recognizable in gaming culture. As you said, it's seen in advertising, it's seen on the merchandise, it's on the cover, it's usually where the game is being shown and that gives them a huge association with it. If people can see that guy and think 'oh, isn't that Skyrim?' just on the image alone, then there's a level of notability to the character.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Correct but Steve is, by all accounts, the only way to rep Minecraft along with Alex as the 'main faces' of the franchise. They are who you play as. You do not play as the generic barbarian man. You play as a custom character. Not dragonborn man on the box/ad material. If they want to rep the Elder Scrolls series itself, they'd probably want to pull someone from the series who is an established character, but even then I don't know who they'd pull and from which game. I'd argue he's more faceless than even Steve. There's nothing defining about him except maybe his helmet, the only way to really identify what series he is even from.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You do not play as the generic barbarian man. You play as a custom character. Not dragonborn man on the box/ad material.
You don't play as Steve either, you play as whatever skin you choose. "Generic barbarian man" is one of the possible looks as the dragonborn, and just like Steve, that would be the default costume, while the alts would be the other various races/gender you can choose, like Steve.

Never mind we already had Villager and Pokemon Trainer too. Only the Fire Emblem avatars actually were fleshed out. We have multiple avatars in Smash.

This was never an issue. "Lack of personality" is barely a thing, as Steve is as blank slate as you can get. Only Villager comes close to having no canon personality otherwise.
Those blank slates at least have some ounce of personality, unlike the rectangle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom