• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don't think you believe this.
I'm guessing you don't believe I think William has an actual shot at being in Smash, but to me, he is a dark horse candidate. Nioh was a pretty successful title for Koei-Tecmo and Team Ninja with the first title selling over 2 million copies and was received very well by a great amount of people. The series may be exclusive to Playstation with them publishing both 1 & 2, but Koei-Tecmo own the series just like how the Professor Layton series is owned by Level-5 despite Nintendo publishing them. While I don't think William is super likely, I could certainly see him as a possibility despite the series not having a Switch port at all. Some people would probably be miffed over a Soulslike game getting into Smash before Dark Souls thoe.

Unless of course you don't believe I think Dynasty Warriors has a chance cause I could go on about the merits that game has to warrant a spot in Smash.

Dunno why, but Ryu Hayabusa feels like he'll be the Terry of Fighter Pass 2.

Both not being a frequently demanded character but still had a fair following that made it in.

Of course, there's still the chance he might not make but at this point, I'm pretty certain given the whole Steve 5 year negotiations, and Vergeben having basically right about Minecraft content.

At this point, Ryu Hayabusa feels like the new "Erdrick" and also Kencineroar of DLC.
Hayabusa is far more in line with the Erdrick rumors than anything around Terry. It was rare to see anything SNK related get discussed prior to the NoE leak, but Ninja Gaiden has pretty much been all over the place in speculation. It may have not been as frequent before as it is now, but Hayabusa had a much bigger following than Terry did during speculation.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If the rest of the pass was...

Geno
Lloyd
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa

How would you react?
replace monster hunter With Crash bandicoot

perfect

In that case, I would go on to say Ryu Hayabusa is the new "Erdrick".
the only thing prevent that is the whole M rated characters can't have their titles shown off thing started around terry and byleth

but I really don't think this is a problem thanks to the Belmont’s

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'd say that's a lot more fair of a comparison, except unlike Erdrick, we're missing the smoking gun.

With Erdrick, we had the "Brave" file. Hayabusa has a lot of people talking about him, some of them trust worthy, but until he gets an actual BIG leak, like Imran or Zhunge hinting him, or a ****up on Nintendo's end, I'll always remain cautious, since nothing is confirmed.

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, if we're thinking it's Ryu due to the HD Collection and all the leaks around him, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the complexity of Steve, the guy who had to have every map updated to include him.

I don't think Hayabusa will be a mechanically easy character to play as, since I think he'll be a very fast, very hacky-slashy kinda character, but I don't think he'll be akin to someone like Steve in terms of complexity.
Yeah, I'm getting the impression that Hayabusa would play something akin to a ZSS / Greninja-esque character with additional magic etc. to him.

Both the NES and Xbox games prioritize quick trigger fingers and evasion above all else. A comparision can be made to ZSS here: a good ZSS is really difficult to pin down because she has good ways to play up close, at a distance or just jump around and try to bury your ass. And likewise Hayabusa would in all likelihood play in a similar fashion - switch up the gameplan between close-quaters and keepaway, jump around a lot and infuriate the opponent, sense weakness and go for the combo / kill. Although Hayabusa would likely have some trouble in disadvantage as well as rather poor endurance (would get KOed early).

Hayabusa's potential likeness to Greninja would primarily be how Ryu's keep away works, and he'd have decently-sized and surprisingly versatile aerials at the cost of reliable out of shield options.

I'm spitballing here though.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Ryu doesn't have enough evidence that Hero, Ken, and Incineroar had so he isn't guaranteed. Verge did say there were talks but that can easily fall through or just be mii costumes or a spirit event. Look what happened with Travis. And this is someone who would love to see him in.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This has probably been answered plenty of times but I haven't seen the answer yet

Did verge namedrop Hayabusa or did he just say "Koei and Nintendo are working together with smash"

Shroob

Sup?
This has probably been answered plenty of times but I haven't seen the answer yet

Did verge namedrop Hayabusa or did he just say "Koei and Nintendo are working together with smash"
His exact words were:

Stay tuned?
I'll keep looking into it. But the discussions did happen with Koei Tecmo in regards to Smash. Since Nintendo is so close with Koei Tecmo, I'd be surprised if those discussions fell through and didn't result in anything.

No namedrop of Hayabusa explicitly, but at the very least, this sounds like a discussion for some form of content to be added.

D

Deleted member

The main thing to look out for, if anything, is the Ninja Gaiden HD Trilogy being shown off at The Game Awards this year, if it exists, which it apparently does since it got rated, that'd be where it shows up if nowhere else.
Did it actually get rated? I haven't seen anything since the Hong Kong store listing for it.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I was briefly looking through the best selling video game series to see what mega sellers aren't in Smash, and I am absolutely floored by how (comparatively) low the sales of Doom are. For such an influential game/series the numbers are just not there, I suppose that's what happens when a franchise goes on hiatus for so long.

Anyway, Tomb Raider is much bigger than I remembered. People still consider Lara a Western character, I assume? Or is it like Steve where people don't call him an Indy because the rights have moved to a different company?
I think the list largely only features retail sales numbers unless the company announces total series sales. I haven’t seen Bethesda or ID do that for Doom, so the data is dependent on the physical sales numbers we know. Doom’s been a PC focused series until the 2016 game so the physical numbers obviously weren’t the highest.

The original Doom was installed on more computers than Windows 95 for a little bit back in the day. The sales numbers wouldn’t really show that.

I think the sales numbers are an important way to see how popular a game series is, but it’s not the only way. In addition to the Doom oddity, Street Fighter isn’t that high on the sales chart with only 45 mil sales. But it’s actually the 8th highest grossing game franchise ever. Largely due to the absolute dominance that Street Fighter II has over the arcade scene. Doom’s also on here with over a billion dollars.

Ya know, I'm gonna say something that'll 100% bite me in the ass.

I don't think it's that outlandish for another character to drop this year, namely, sometime in December.

Yeah, I know, Steve isn't out yet, but when I see people peg Feb/March for CP8's drop, while that would definitely still work, that'd be 4-5 months since Steve came out, and while I personally don't expect it to happen considering the 3 month gap between Min Min and Steve, I kinda feel like January makes the most sense, it'd put us 100 days since Steve came out by that point if we go to late January, though at the same time, I kinda can't shake this strange feeling about December.
There’s always a chance, but my bet is on January. Maybe if we’re lucky they’ll reveal them in December. But Nintendo seems pretty content with announcing content only a couple weeks before launch.

His exact words were:

No namedrop of Hayabusa explicitly, but at the very least, this sounds like a discussion for some form of content to be added.
I have to imagine it’s for a character. We rarely hear of discussions for Mii costumes or Spirits. If someone gets this info, it’s usually for a character.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Pikmin 3 Demo available now for those interested.

"No Patrick that does not mean we are getting another Pikmin rep in the fighters pass"

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
If the rest of the pass was...

Geno
Lloyd
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa

How would you react?
Dissapointed by the Lack of First Parties. Don't get me wrong, Geno is great and Hayabusa is a must buy, but i have no attachment to Lloyd despite begin a good choice so doesn't do it for me and Monster Hunter.........blegh, not a fan of player avatar characters in most cases.

All of these choices are solid, but like the first one the amonunt of Guests here kinda ruins it. Someone like Bandanna Dee or Dixie Kong or hell even ****ing Elma or Rex would be welcome here.

I guess at least there would be something to look foward to.

Shroob

Sup?
Is there any other Koei Tecmo rep that could feasibly get in before Ryu?
Kiiiiiiinda....?

Like, Ryu is pretty clearly Koei's frontrunner rep, like, considering his long history with Nintendo, that's the most obvious choice. But if you don't go for Ryu, then your choices get a bit muddled.

There's Dynasty Warriors, which, not impossible, I'm not sure about that one, namely considering it's a game based on a book, even if it's super far removed, the characters are based on real people.

There's Ryza, but her devs just tweeted saying the Nintendo didn't have it in the cards.

And then Nioh, which... would be kinda strange for Nioh to get in over Dark Souls, ngl.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Ryu is in the same camp as Dante for me now where I'll be really surprised if it doesn't happen. Neither of them are locks (No character is unless Nintendo bungles something and leaks it themselves), but I'd say there's great chances for both right now.

The real question that's got me curious is if Nintendo's putting in any more first parties. I have to think that we'll at least get one more, but I'll be honest and say outside of Pokemon and maybe Xenoblade, not a ton of options stand out to me.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I mean yeah I somewhat expect ryu h to show up in some form in smash but I’m not counting him as a lock. It feels childish

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be Fair, there had to be Talks Regarding Smash with Koei anyway, since Fatal Frame Spirits are in the game (I don't know how far this Info Spread though, it might be a Different Set of talks Verge is talking about)

The Fact that Ryu is not in the game at all is Something that has kinda Conflicted me on Ryu honestly, Like Perhaps there was a character Limit to FP1 (Only Allowed 5 fighters) and Ryu was Out Priortized, But I can't see Ryu not being considered at all Before FP1 Finalization. Perhaps there's something Holding Ryu back, or Perhaps that theory about Extra DLC always happening is true and Ryu would have been the first ones

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Ryu is in the same camp as Dante for me now where I'll be really surprised if it doesn't happen. Neither of them are locks (No character is unless Nintendo bungles something and leaks it themselves), but I'd say there's great chances for both right now.

The real question that's got me curious is if Nintendo's putting in any more first parties. I have to think that we'll at least get one more, but I'll be honest and say outside of Pokemon and maybe Xenoblade, not a ton of options stand out to me.
What about more than one more?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I consider Ryu Hayabusa far more similar to Simon in Smash speculation. Most people didn't seeem to care about him, until the Inisder Nation attacked and now he's the talk of the town. It's just with Simon the wait for his reveal (from Vergeben talking about Simon in early June and beign revealed in August) was far shorter than Ryu's (been in the rumor mill since last year)

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
I have a theory about this pack. It's only based on the 2 characters released thus far, but what if this pack is going to be focused on characters with unique mechanics? So far we have two of the most unique characters to ever be released in Super Smash Bros, Min Min who has no specials but attacks with an arm depending on what button you press. Now we have Steve with his mining and crafting mechanics. That would eliminate simple characters like Crash, Dixie, Bandana Dee, etc, but would leave room for more complicated characters like Rex, HWAoC Impa, and others. How would everyone feel about this? And who would you like to see if this was the style Nintendo was going for?

I could/would like to see:
Rex: Blade switching, move cancelling, and special level meter.
Impa: Clones and Sheikah slate runes.
Rillaboom: Drum beat combos
Tracer: Time travel moves

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
What about more than one more?
Honestly? I'm kind of doubtful, I don't think there's many standout options from Nintendo right now, as I'm personally not sold on any Mario characters or Zelda characters really fitting what we've gotten from DLC so far. Doesn't mean there can't be one, of course, it's just that I'm not really expecting it myself.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have a theory about this pack. It's only based on the 2 characters released thus far, but what if this pack is going to be focused on characters with unique mechanics? So far we have two of the most unique characters to ever be released in Super Smash Bros, Min Min who has no specials but attacks with an arm depending on what button you press. Now we have Steve with his mining and crafting mechanics. That would eliminate simple characters like Crash, Dixie, Bandana Dee, etc, but would leave room for more complicated characters like Rex, HWAoC Impa, and others. How would everyone feel about this? And who would you like to see if this was the style Nintendo was going for?

Elma: Overdrive bar that when full temporarily boosts stats. Also swaps between dual swords and dual guns
Octoling: ok they literally take Inkling’s ink mechanic BUT. they use different weapons, some drain ink faster but Octo also recovers ink faster. Overall high risk/high reward play style, hard hitting attacks that can be punished easily if they fail
Neku: uhhhh idk really
Ahri: for the orb attack, it becomes the healing variant every two uses just like in League

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I don't think unique movesets are a necessity. They just come naturally for Sakurai. he sees stuff that some might see as simple or impossible, and goes "How can I make this character unique and fun?" It's character decided, then the unique moveset, not the other way around.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I’m going to genuinely roll around the floor laughing if he winds up as another Mii. There’s just something hilariously cathartic to me about these characters people are sure about being locks only for a silly mascot costume to throw their chances over the edge of a dam. That being said, I have no bad words to those who actively want said character, and I hope you guys keep up holding onto hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom