• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
The "5 years in the making" thing has me wondering what kind of third party attempts are being made at this very moment that we won't even see until the next smash game. Of course the future of Smash post-ultimate is extremely murky, so it's quite possible Sakurai just staight up has a rhetorical "no further character negotiations" sign on his door.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Aww, thank you!!!

I know, I am STILL really excited. It has been over twelve hours.

I just want Saturday to arrive.

Also, your avatar is spooky now.
It's a good reminder that picks that make a lot of people happy are what Smash is all about, and watching so many people excited has me a little more interested in Steve. Especially the block building mechanic which looks like it could be fun in ditto matches

And tis the season :-) Byleth was named after a demon as well lol.

D

Deleted member

I just want to say without Minecraft, we wouldn't have Terraria, the game I am heavily playing right now. Terraria was heavily influenced by Minecraft.
It's a good reminder that picks that make a lot of people happy are what Smash is all about, and watching so many people excited has me a little more interested in Steve. Especially the block building mechanic which looks like it could be fun in ditto matches
Awesome to know!!! :)
And tis the season :-) Byleth was named after a demon as well lol.
I believe Byleth is the Ashen Demon. Why was Byleth named that? Byleth did not seem that demonic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm still in awe about Steve, if only for the fact that we finally got the next character. I've been watching reactions of his reveal, it's like the best thing after reveals haha. Can't wait for tomorrow to learn more.

Also, I feel like the "Minecraft in Smash has been in talks for five years" is probably not a norm, and negotations behind the scenes vary from character to character. I see some people pull out popular ballot choices, for example, as suddenly having boosted chances, but I dunno... I don't think it works like that. Steve/Minecraft is third party and had no content whatsoever in Smash before this, which I feel is the only "hint" people could take if considering "long negotiations".

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Did you know that there's a minecraft skin for like every ****ing character out there

I didn't

Back when I played Minecraft in from 2011 to 2013. I skins I remember using were Sasuke from Naruto, Ichigo from Bleach, Lelouch from Code Geass, Asbel from Tales of Graces F and Shulk.

Yeah if there is a character you like then chances there is a skin someone made for it.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Min Min and Steve might be two different characters, but they have something in common: More than anyone else, they were included along with most possible mechanics from their own game. Min Min takes ARMS and its unique control scheme, long-range, dragon arm transformation AND ARMS swapping and puts her in Smash as a more literal 2D translation of ARMS.
Steve meanwhile is Minecraft in Smash: Both animation-wise and with the sheer amount of terraformimg he has with what seems to be a single Block Neutral B (Not to mention the crafting table)
”Ported’’ might be a strong word, but the adagio of “unique playstyles” seemingly has transformed into “games with unique mechanics we can take and adapt to Smash.” and this allows for a bit more speculation on the front than “well yeah anyone can be unique if they wanted to”.

If the Min Min-Steve “pattern” is anything to go by off, we’re looking for game mechanics that can be adapted in their entirety to Smash, which brings me to my hot take character for the fighters pass

Someone from Dynasty Warriors.

Yeah, it’s not a character per se but if it helps, I don’t think Age of Calamity characters count for this. I mean the OG, Koei Tecmo original-charactered series. You see, for Impa you might take the clone mechanic and adapt it to Smash, taking inspiration from the idea and making it her Down B or something. Something more in line with characters like Joker where Arsene is implemented as one mechanic and works together with other mechanics only tangentially or just in a “let’s power this mother up” kind of approach. A more isolated approach, with each move being another reference rather than a full eco-system like Min Min was with her ARMS.

Or someone like Lu Bu with the Dynasty Warriors control scheme.

You see I‘ve only played Hyrule Warriors, but the vastly different control scheme with a moveset ranging from C1 to C6, decided by alternating the time you press the Special button during a string, seems to be universal to the series and unique to it and if two is a pattern, we might see it again with this series, with the Neutral B (or heck, even all of the specials) changing drastically based on how many neutral attacks you‘ve performed before it, either in a combo or simply throwing them out.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Min Min and Steve might be two different characters, but they have something in common: More than anyone else, they were included along with most possible mechanics from their own game.
They have more than that in common:
-Their games were considered at an earlier point but couldn't make it until now for whatever reason
-Both use their models imported from their respective games
-Revealed/Released around an important date for their game (arguable)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
They have more than that in common:
-Their games were considered at an earlier point but couldn't make it until now for whatever reason
-Both use their models imported from their respective games
-Revealed/Released around an important date for their game (arguable)
Yup, Steve could definitely reinforce the “second chance pass” angle. In that respect we might see Rhythm Heaven or something or a possibly particularly tough negotiator. I’d say porting models counts as “getting the game mechanics to Smash“ since it can’t be about ease of production considering the balance of Min Min or the stage adapting for Steve respectively.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So what do you guys think Minecraft in Smash means for things like Fortnite?
Nothing. Minecraft has been around for over a decade and is still going strong. We've yet to see if Fortnite will have that same long-term staying power.

If Fortnite gets in, it'll probably be for different reasons then Steve. The comparisons between the two game only exist because they're both "hip with the kids", and I think they're fundamentally disingenuous because of that.
Yup, Steve could definitely reinforce the “second chance pass” angle. In that respect we might see Rhythm Heaven or something or a possibly particularly tough negotiator. I’d say porting models counts as “getting the game mechanics to Smash“ since it can’t be about ease of production considering the balance of Min Min or the stage adapting for Steve respectively.
I dunno about you guys but I'm not going to try to guess the theme of a pass from just the first two characters, especially when time and time again Sakurai's newcomer and DLC selection has been shown not to follow singular themes and patterns.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Maybe they'll get a mii gunner costume?

I've been trying to think of things that could be Mii Costumes with Steve & Alex and this honestly was a thought that came to my mind. I can see Fortnite being amongst them. Maybe a Shantae swordfighter costume?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
While I don't think the Pass has a "theme", it's certainly interesting that this happened more than once.

IMO the character that benefits the most from this is Rex. At this point, I'd be a bit surprised if he didn't make it down the line.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah, I've toyed with the idea of "going back to scrapped/passed/tough ideas" for FP2, ARMS got me into thinking it and I guess Steve sort of reinforces it too seeing how long its revealed to have been under discussion. Especially if Sakurai is done with Smash after Ultimate, he may want to revisit some ideas. Could give credence to Rex, Rhythm Heaven and Geno I guess, maybe Dixie.

But I feel like the "new world and new playstyles" idea will likely remain priority even still, so I dunno. Speaking of which, as they had to rework stages to accomodate Steve's building (right?), are there any other characters that could benefit from that?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Their games were considered at an earlier point but couldn't make it until now for whatever reason
If I had a dollar every time someone falsley claimed Spring Man and by proxy Rex were genuinely considered for base game I'd have enough money to buy everyone here a copy and both passes.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Nothing. Minecraft has been around for over a decade and is still going strong. We've yet to see if Fortnite will have that same long-term staying power.

If Fortnite gets in, it'll probably be for different reasons then Steve. The comparisons between the two game only exist because they're both "hip with the kids", and I think they're fundamentally disingenuous because of that.

I dunno about you guys but I'm not going to try to guess the theme of a pass from just the first two characters, especially when time and time again Sakurai's newcomer and DLC selection has been shown not to follow singular themes and patterns.
Obviously, it’s not a hard guarantee that everything from now on will exactly parallel that but it’s interesting to think about the two in my opinion most “faithful“ characters, or at least characters that went out of their way to be closer to their games’ standards than Smash standards, are back-to-back in this Fighters Pass. (Aside from the Fighting Game Trio) It stretches the limits of what a Smash moveset is which also ties into the confirmed adage of “Unique playstyles“

”Tying up loose ends” isn‘t as much of a potential theme as much as it’s make-or-break for those concepts now at the twilight of this ridiculously long Smash cycle.

Also agreed that Rex might very well not be one of those characters and ARMS and Minecraft had other reasons to arrive later.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Saturday has me scared, because right after Steve's showcase, we have the presentation of Mii Costumes, A.K.A. who's on the chopping block this time, and not getting a fighter? I'm hope they don't choose a certain Genie to be the next indie Mii character.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I've been trying to think of things that could be Mii Costumes with Steve & Alex and this honestly was a thought that came to my mind. I can see Fortnite being amongst them. Maybe a Shantae swordfighter costume?
I think there’s a good chance that the Mii costumes are all Minecraft themed. Cash-in on that money train as much as possible.

Creeper, Villager, Pillager, Witch, Skeleton, maybe even the characters from Minecraft Dungeons. There’s a lot to work with.

I.D.

Smash Lord
If I had a dollar every time someone falsley claimed Spring Man and by proxy Rex were genuinely considered for base game I'd have enough money to buy everyone here a copy and both passes.
Frankly? I'm done with this cope. You can keep believing Sakurai mentioned ARMS completely umprompted for no reason if it makes you feel better.

Didn't even mention springman nor rex, schizo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Frankly? I'm done with this cope. You can keep believing Sakurai mentioned ARMS completely umprompted for no reason if it makes you feel better.

-Their games (ARMS) were considered at an earlier point but couldn't make it until now for whatever reason
This was about Min Min. Now how could one possibly know her game was 'considered'? Could it be because of the exact thing I posted which involved Spring Man? And I mentioned Rex because he was mentioned alongside Sakurai in the exact same sentence with Rex fans falsely claiming he was 'considered' back in 2015 alongside Spring Man when neither games were far in development. I suggest you calm down and actually read before flinging insults about people's sanity next time

EDIT: Here's my proof, I thought I had linked it in my previous post, my bad for that

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, to go a bit off-topic: Do you guys think that Nintendo are gonna keep up their weekly announcements after this? And if so, what could they even show off other than more Partner Showcases?

I honestly don't know how much clearer it can get than Sakurai stating that the project plan for Ultimate was decided in late 2015/early 2016 and was not altered for anything that ARMS (and Xenoblade 2) were never even in consideration for base game fighters, but go off, I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just one more fighters pass, please! Just one more and then Sakurai can finally rest. I promise I won't ask for anymore after that... Maybe one more after that one but afterwards I promise I won't ask for anymore Fighter passes.
We literally have four characters left, you will be fine.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The key difference between Minecraft and Fortnite is that the former is a series and has tonnes of games, merch and other media under its belt, contributed to by its immense playerbase which has been going strong pretty much everywhere for the past 10 years. Yes Fortnite is popular and has gone on way longer than expected but it certainly does seem like it's going to die down some day. Even then it certainly don't think it affects much now.

The only way we will know is if in 10 years time, people are still playing Fortnite but I'm still fairly sure it will end up dying down as just a blip on the gaming landscape radar and not much more.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Minecraft and Fortnite really don't have anything in common with one another other than building and being popular with kids, so I don't think Steve means anything for Jonesy, personally.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Flaming/harassment
This was about Min Min. Now how could one possibly know her game was 'considered'? Could it be because of the exact thing I posted which involved Spring Man? And I mentioned Rex because he was mentioned alongside Sakurai in the exact same sentence with Rex fans falsely claiming he was 'considered' back in 2015 alongside Spring Man when neither games were far in development. I suggest you calm down and actually read before flinging insults about people's sanity next time

EDIT: Here's my proof
Can you stop putting words in my mouth schizo? I never used the words "2015" or "base game" either. Do you know what other game was considered yet not planned until FP2? Minecraft.

Again, keep pretending Nintendo and Sakurai had never had talks about an ARMS fighter at any point and that Sakurai decided to talk about it for no reason and not all the other games out there that also didn't get a fighter. Sorry yesterday wasn't the deconfirmation you were expecting, looks like you'll have to endure the unbearable torture of a game you dislike being occasionally mentioned every several pages for a little longer.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Vergeben is claiming Koei Tecmo did talk with Nintendo in regards to Smash although he hasn't confirmed if anything came out of these talks. Interesting news.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Well, I finally got to the end of the thread...

I'll give my thoughts on Steve.

Steve is a landmark character. Absolutely the biggest character with any shred of Nintendo prominence. This choice has appealed to millions upon millions of people and has made many kids in my class, very happy (well, the ones who know what Smash Bros is, most just know Minecraft). Nintendo shot for the stars and they succeeded. Objectively, I cannot stress how big of a move this is, and how well its going to pay off. Well done Nintendo, I can't imagine this was cheap, but I bet you're going to get your money's worth.

Personally, I don't have much of an attachment to Minecraft (haven't played it much, though this is a great excuse to go back and try it again), but Steve looks pretty cool. The moveset looks absolutely bonkers. I know some people don't like how out of place he looks, but I find that to be part of his charm. He's intentionally weird, but in a way that lets his own series shine. And frankly, Steve would look even weirder if he was "cleaned up" so to speak. It's like 3D Mr. Game & Watch. Unnatural. I imagine that many of the visual complaints will die down as people get used to him.

Overall, pretty great reveal. Not my favorite, but I still feel happy about it.

Also, that ****ing piano track was a ****ing banger! HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!!
I think you have the wrong "Steve".

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Vergeben is claiming Koei Tecmo did talk with Nintendo in regards to Smash although he hasn't confirmed if anything came out of these talks. Interesting news.
Tbh he also said months back that he would check on the LoL leak. Obviously it's fake now but would be cool if he heard about Riot Games or Tencent being involved since he never came back with that.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

And so he returns.

Koei Tecmo makes a lot of sense. Now the question is, who would they go for? Ryu Hayabusa for legacy, or Atelier to push a series that's been slowly getting more attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom