• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Vergeben is claiming Koei Tecmo did talk with Nintendo in regards to Smash although he hasn't confirmed if anything came out of these talks. Interesting news.
Huh. So this might not only be Vergeben's "redemption arc", but also Shifty's.

Interesting.

EDIT: I'd love to hear him say something about the LoL rumor too, even if it's to confirm it is fake.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So what are the notable Mii Costumes from SSB4 that are still MIA? Only ones I can think of are:
  • Geno
  • Lloyd
  • Monster Hunter
  • Gil
I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Challenger Packs have come with old costumes so I feel like we're bound to get one of these tomorrow.
I believe there were 2 monster hunter ones but yeah tomorrow will be interesting in the costume department, that's for sure. If another Namco one shows up I'll be pretty sure that's it for another character from them. Capcom wouldn't necessarily be dead but since both the costumes are pretty similar I think it would be a pretty big blow too. Same with Square

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So what are the notable Mii Costumes from SSB4 that are still MIA? Only ones I can think of are:
  • Geno
  • Lloyd
  • Monster Hunter
  • Gil
I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Challenger Packs have come with old costumes so I feel like we're bound to get one of these tomorrow.
Only Hero's didn't bring back any, as it focused exclusively on DQ and there were no DQ costumes to port. I'm mainly expecting Gil tomorrow.

SKX31

Smash Master
So what do you guys think Minecraft in Smash means for things like Fortnite?
Not that much really, I wouldn't equate LoL's chances with Minecraft either (even if LoL is about as old as Minecraft).

The most significant thing from Steve's inclusion is that we have direct confirmation that B-K's inclusion opened the door re: Western characters overall.

And so he returns.

Koei Tecmo makes a lot of sense. Now the question is, who would they go for? Ryu Hayabusa for legacy, or Atelier to push a series that's been slowly getting more attention?
Kinda leaning Ryu there because Sakurai / Furukawa might be more familiar with him than Atelier (both of them joined Nintendo in the early 90s, they were teens when Ninja Gaiden was having its NES heyday). Although I won't count out Ryza / Dynasty Warriors at all - those two have legitimate claims for the spot.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
  • Geno
  • Lloyd
  • Monster Hunter
  • Gil
Pretty sure its the Chocobo hat, Geno, Monster Hunter, Rathalos, Lloyd and Gil.

As far as all currently missing third party DLC costumes go...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I kinda see the Gil costume in the Saturday presentation

Maybe for my costume predictions I’ll swap Monster Hunter for Sol Badguy and/or Kyoko for Arle Nadja

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I believe Byleth is the Ashen Demon. Why was Byleth named that? Byleth did not seem that demonic.
It's because, prior to the events of Three Houses, Byleth was an emotionless mercenary. I believe it's stated at some point that they'd mow people down without any change in expression, earning them the name, "Ashen Demon". The reason why Byleth doesn't seem that demonic in the game is because their entire character is based around growing attached to their students and learning to feel.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
After knowing that Steve was apparently in discussion for 3 to 5 years (emphasis on discussion) then what other characters were in a similar situation where they were rumoured a long time in advance? I know Katalina was but after the amount of stuff Hitagi got wrong outside of Steve... Yeah idk. They went on that mini deconfirmimg spree which was a predecessor to the absolute ****show that was happening in the run-up to the VGAs with he who shall not be named and Vergeben and quickly deconfirmed Atlus being DLC 1 which was obviously wrong. They have gotten stuff right and wrong so idk. Probably fake but interesting discussion nonetheless

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can you stop putting words in my mouth schizo? I never used the words "2015" or "base game" either. Do you know what other game was considered yet not planned until FP2? Minecraft.

Again, keep pretending Nintendo and Sakurai had never had talks about an ARMS fighter at any point and that Sakurai decided to talk about it for no reason and not all the other games out there that also didn't get a fighter. Sorry yesterday wasn't the deconfirmation you were expecting, looks like you'll have to endure the unbearable torture of a game you dislike being occasionally mentioned every several pages for a little longer.
If you chose to screech insults when completely unprovoked again instead of arguing then quite frankly, you're just wasting everyone's time. Have a good life man

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My costume predictions:

• Master Chief (regular)
  • Gil from Tower of Druaga (regular)
  • Monster Hunter (regular, not the Rathalos armor) OR Sol Badguy (regular)
  • Kyoko from River City Girls (regular) OR Arle Nadja (regular)
  • Ori (PreMiium, comes with Light of Nibel)

and if there’s a sixth costume:

• Hollow Knight (PreMiium with Sealed Vessel remix, soft confirming the LoL rep happening later)

yeah. TWO PreMiiums. Go big or go home
Updated predictions based on the Sol Badguy Japanese VO retweeting the Steve announcement as well as the official Puyo Puyo tweet regarding Smash. I have a feeling one or both Sol and Arle will be costumes

Rikarte

Smash Ace
  • Geno
  • Lloyd
  • Monster Hunter
  • Gil
Assuming none of these are going to be playable characters I think Monster Hunter is the most logical next step since the series is on everyone's mind right now thanks to Rise.

I.D.

Smash Lord
If you chose to screech insults when completely unprovoked again instead of arguing then quite frankly, you're just wasting everyone's time. Have a good life man
Awwww I'm sorry that I'm not being polite to a poster that is always looking for fights and who started this conversation by trying to put words in my mouth and arguing in bad faith.

SKX31

Smash Master
One down, four to go. Though I've been feeling iffy on Dante's chances for some reason.
He's apparently stuck in the metaphorical waiting room.

For seemingly ****ing ever.

And it's really annoying IMO.

That said, I'm not going to commit to a prediction, partly since I could see 10+ different characters as viable contenders for the 4 remaining (probably) spots.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
He's apparently stuck in the metaphorical waiting room.

For seemingly ****ing ever.

And it's really annoying IMO.

That said, I'm not going to commit to a prediction, partly since I could see 10+ different characters as viable contenders for the 4 remaining (probably) spots.
Ngl, a part of me wants that clip to become the new "hoes mad". Like, every reveal that isn't Dante just spawns dozens of videos of him looking at the new character. If we keep this for long, we might actually not simply show support, but meme him in. :roll:

But I guess it can be seen as a **** move by people who genuinely want Dante.

I'm more surprised at the fact that Minecraft came this early. In my August prediction, I placed it as the final reveal. But I suppose Nintendo would rather do it sooner.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly Dante's one of the 2 characters I'm outright confident on, I can't accept that DMC3 got a definitive edition exclusive to Switch when DMC started coming to the Switch since May 2019 after Itsuno's remarks acknowledging Dante's increasingly more vocal fan demand. If people are allowed to tinfoil hat for debunked fake leaks and **** I'm going to tinfoil hat for Dante

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I still feel Geno or Lloyd's mii costume is going to be confirmed tomorrow, the former may be the deluxe actually.
See, I honestly dunno about that since it's happening right before Minecon. I don't know if they're gonna highlight franchises that aren't Minecraft related, or at the very least, from Microsoft.

I think tomorrow's PreMiium could be Master Chief, honestly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As a DMC fan who adores the franchise for countless different reasons, Dante was always meant to be a clown so I'm ok with it. The worst that can happen is more Dante awareness leading to people looking into DMC out of curiousity and more potential Dante supporters
I think tomorrow's PreMiium could be Master Chief, honestly.
God that'd ****ing sting. I only ever played Reach and 1 but I don't think there'd be a bigger gutpunch of a deconfirm beyond Sora

MooMew64

God that'd ****ing sting. I only ever played Reach and 1 but I don't think there'd be a bigger gutpunch of a deconfirm beyond Sora
I've only played a bit of...I wanna say it was 3? I played some of it's multiplayer with my folks and I loved it. Steve was my personal Microsoft pick, but yeah, I'm gonna feel bad for Chief fans tomorrow if the PreMiium is him. He would've been really cool, honestly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I've only played a bit of...I wanna say it was 3? I played some of it's multiplayer with my folks and I loved it. Steve was my personal Microsoft pick, but yeah, I'm gonna feel bad for Chief fans tomorrow if the PreMiium is him. He would've been really cool, honestly.
Yeah Halo 3 is ****ing legendary with it's multiplayer, I dare say it was the biggest game of the entire console generation.

Well, besides Minecraft lmao

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

And so he returns.

Koei Tecmo makes a lot of sense. Now the question is, who would they go for? Ryu Hayabusa for legacy, or Atelier to push a series that's been slowly getting more attention?
It’d be Hayabusa. He’s their mascot & go-to guy for crossovers. He’s been in Dead or Alive, Dynasty Warriors, his ancestor is in Nioh & I’m sure there’s more.

As for predictions, outside of Hayabusa & another Nintendo character, I strongly believe we’re getting one more huge third party.

Nintendo keeps coming to E3 with a huge gaming icon in Smash. E3 2019 had Dragon Quest. Minecraft was clearly planned for E3 2020. Hell, you could stretch it & say “Everyone is Here!” counts too since it confirmed characters people weren’t confident in seeing again like:ultcloud::ultsnake::ultryu:

So I’m betting that we’ll see one more next year. I think it’ll be out of these franchises: Halo, Crash, Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter & maaaaaybe even Resident Evil or Assassin’s Creed. Maybe the RE spirit event & Altair Mii costume were red herrings? Who knows anymore. This game is so crazy lol

SKX31

Smash Master
Ngl, a part of me wants that clip to become the new "hoes mad". Like, every reveal that isn't Dante just spawns dozens of videos of him looking at the new character. If we keep this for long, we might actually not simply show support, but meme him in. :roll:

I'm more surprised at the fact that Minecraft came this early. In my August prediction, I placed it as the final reveal. But I suppose Nintendo would rather do it sooner.
I do genuinely want Dante (he ranks in my Top 5 most wanted) so yes, it can get a little annoying IMO. But as Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, it fits him - and it's amazing meme fodder, so more people look into DMC and possibly support the character, so I'm okay with it.

One explanation as to why Minecraft got in this early in FP2 - if Steve wasn't placed 2nd from the start that is - might be that Furukawa and Nintendo's execs saw the low sales and wanted Sakurai to prioritize Steve's pack... while Sakurai and the dev team was busy working on Min Min.

Considering we have some of the most important and iconic games represented in Smash now with Pong (Sort of), Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros and Minecraft that makes me wonder if we'll get any Space Invaders representation through event spirits (Hell include Bubble Bobble too).
Truly, the Square-Enix rep no one was expecting.

I've only seen Space Invaders raised once (by the Japanese Hamburglar and his marathon speculation video), but it could be a really interesting character.

I do have lots of trouble seeing Invaders and especially Bubble Bobble as DLC - the latter's outshone by Ryu Hayabusa as far as NES characters go, and the former... where does one start with the moveset? Gathering together the classic shots and implementing a move that allows the Invader to go airborne a la the Galaga?

Last edited:

MooMew64

It’d be Hayabusa. He’s their mascot & go-to guy for crossovers. He’s been in Dead or Alive, Dynasty Warriors, his ancestor is in Nioh & I’m sure there’s more.

As for predictions, outside of Hayabusa & another Nintendo character, I strongly believe we’re getting one more huge third party.

Nintendo keeps coming to E3 with a huge gaming icon in Smash. E3 2019 had Dragon Quest. Minecraft was clearly planned for E3 2020. Hell, you could stretch it & say “Everyone is Here!” counts too since it confirmed characters people weren’t confident in seeing again like:ultcloud::ultsnake::ultryu:

So I’m betting that we’ll see one more next year. I think it’ll be out of these franchises: Halo, Crash, Tomb Raider, Monster Hunter & maaaaaybe even Resident Evil or Assassin’s Creed. Maybe the RE spirit event & Altair Mii costume were red herrings? Who knows anymore. This game is so crazy lol
Yo, I could legit see Lara Croft getting in. I have a brother who would flip if she got in (he's a huge Tomb Raider fan), so I'm personally rooting for her for that reason alone.

ZelDan

Smash Master

Vergeben is claiming Koei Tecmo did talk with Nintendo in regards to Smash although he hasn't confirmed if anything came out of these talks. Interesting news.
Koei Tecmo helped with Fire Emblem Three Houses, correct? We sure it isn't about that?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I honestly don't see Halo appearing at all in Smash if Chief isn't playable. Considering the nature of that IP, it just doesn't feel like something Nintendo would compromise on.

My prediction is that Steve will come with a few Minecraft related costumes and/or costumes from a bunch of other unrelated IPs, similar to Banjo and Byleth.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Only problem with that is three house’s was made by koei tecmo

But if it's outside that please let it be ryu hayabusa (the final NES era character missing in smash)

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Putting this all together here's my pass prediction.

4 characters left
One K-Tecmo character (likely Ryu if true)
One more 'big' third party
Two first-party or one first party and one third party with a strong Nintendo association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom