• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, to go a bit off-topic: Do you guys think that Nintendo are gonna keep up their weekly announcements after this? And if so, what could they even show off other than more Partner Showcases?
I see it two primary ways.
1- This week, with Pokemon and Smash, was the big finale (of weekly- we would still have more news this year, certain things are already known, such as a November Animal Crossing update, and very possibly another partner showcase).
2- I think they will continue it through mid November, which is only six more announcements (and quite frankly, I think next week may be a week off/ MineCon is really more considered next week). This would only take a few more small announcements. We still have the game awards, which is generally huge, or, nothing for Nintendo.

What I see still being announced:
  • Animal Crossing (holiday- one for November news, and another for December)
  • More Pokemon information of some kind, we already know we will get updates on things such as the Pikachu hats
  • Ring Fit Adventure DLC
  • Luigi's Mansion DLC
  • Partner Showcase, maybe even two

The first two we know, the last three seem likely to me.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's also the possibility of high profile eshop only first party games that could come out in the next two months. I don't think its likely given that the lower cost spin-off is largely a phenomenon with Kirby as far as Nintendo franchises go, but it could happen. In general though the longest I can see the weekly announcements going is roughly late November, at which it point it shifts into a big push towards marketing of released games for the holiday season.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
IMO the character that benefits the most from this is Rex. At this point, I'd be a bit surprised if he didn't make it down the line.
Especially if Sakurai is done with Smash after Ultimate, he may want to revisit some ideas. Could give credence to Rex, Rhythm Heaven and Geno I guess, maybe Dixie.

But I feel like the "new world and new playstyles" idea will likely remain priority even still, so I dunno.
All of this make me feel that we are getting some more "second chance" characters as well, mainly in the first party.

Rex is easily in the mind of everyone, but I honestly think he won't make it. He seems to close in moveset to existing characters. Elma from XCX is more original with her agility, dual blade and dual guns, but XCX is starting to get old and I feel only a potential XCX Switch Remaster or a XCX2 could boost her chance significantly.

Rhythm Heaven is indeed a serie we shouldn't put aside, with a potential original gimmick if they are pursuing the "unique feel" this pass is bringing in each characters. And there are also some other Nintendo series that are yet to get a character that. I'm thinking mostly to Golden Sun and Advance Wars.

Isaac could maybe benefit from the stage rework to accomodate Steve's building: in vines (creating ladders) or earthquakes. He has a potential of gimmick in the djinns too.

An Advance Wars rep doesn't benefit the stage rework, but it could benefit from a similar hard work they put into Min-Min and Steve to make them feel unique. Some kind of "summoner" character would be a first.

I hardly see a new character for any existing serie, outside of maybe Xenoblade. I strongly believe all the first party will be from series that are still awaiting their first fighters.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Considering we have some of the most important and iconic games represented in Smash now with Pong (Sort of), Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros, Tetris and Minecraft that makes me wonder if we'll get any Space Invaders representation through event spirits (Hell include Bubble Bobble too).
Space Invaders would be insane. I’m not sure how a character would work but a stage would be perfect.

I honestly don't see Halo appearing at all in Smash if Chief isn't playable. Considering the nature of that IP, it just doesn't feel like something Nintendo would compromise on.

My prediction is that Steve will come with a few Minecraft related costumes and/or costumes from a bunch of other unrelated IPs, similar to Banjo and Byleth.
I agree. He definitely seems too big for that; I feel the same about Crash. The only franchise on their level that’s seen a Mii costume is Assassin’s Creed, but they didn’t even pick the most iconic character (Ezio).

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's not some guarantee that we'll get some special "premium" mii costume. we never got one with terry. given the timing i think it's safe to expect some minecraft-inspired ones, but that's about it.
creeper girl hoodie, please.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, I can imagine the remaining four characters be one or two smaller/niche third parties, one more 1st party, and one more big third party. At the very least that is how I see it.

Funnily enough I'd be surprised if we don't get a lesser known/niche/"small" third party choice, or at least one people have written off. A Terry-esque pick or two would add some nice diversity to the list. This is why I haven't written off characters like Sol Badguy, Reimu, Monokuma, etc etc yet. Travis could also likely fall under this.

A 1st party rep I can not think of much except Rex/Pyra or Bandana Waddle Dee.

A big third party could be someone like Dante or whatnot.

This is just my little personal guesses and I am likely wrong but it feels like a big of a nice balance on things.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ngl, a part of me wants that clip to become the new "hoes mad". Like, every reveal that isn't Dante just spawns dozens of videos of him looking at the new character. If we keep this for long, we might actually not simply show support, but meme him in. :roll:

But I guess it can be seen as a **** move by people who genuinely want Dante.

I'm more surprised at the fact that Minecraft came this early. In my August prediction, I placed it as the final reveal. But I suppose Nintendo would rather do it sooner.
It'd be in the spirit of Dante.
Dude almost always gets impaled though it's funny how the two bad games don't have him getting impaled 🤔

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
One day until we get a brand new round of mass slaughter in the Mii Costume showcase. I would be lying if I said I'm not terrified of what's possibly coming.
We'll either see a few dreams shattered tomorrow or we'll see some outright hilarious and/or bizarre mii costumes no one would ever predict or took seriously. Which is the magic here.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Honestly Dante's one of the 2 characters I'm outright confident on, I can't accept that DMC3 got a definitive edition exclusive to Switch when DMC started coming to the Switch since May 2019 after Itsuno's remarks acknowledging Dante's increasingly more vocal fan demand. If people are allowed to tinfoil hat for debunked fake leaks and **** I'm going to tinfoil hat for Dante
I'm still very very CONFUSED on why they did the DMC3 Switch version
I mean, it isn't just a simple port. 2 player Co-op, Switch style for Dante... Maybe it isn't the biggest Definitve Edition of a game in the world, but I can't understand why they didn't just added these features to the PS4, Xbox One and Steam versions of DMC3. It would just take a update, I guess.

I know not everything is connected to Smash, but to this day DMC3 Switch is the official definitive version of the game, and so far it's still exclusive to the Switch. A similar thing happened with Dragon Quest XI S, but I think you can make a case for DQ: the franchise has been always very big in Japan and always had a lot of history with Nintendo consoles, and Nintendo itself has pushed and promoted the series multiple times. That's not really the case with Devil May Cry.

As you have mentioned, DMC has never been on Nintendo consoles until May 2019, and then by February 2020 the Switch gets an enhanced version of DMC3, the most popular game in the series (until 5, I guess), and to this day these enhancements remains exclusive to the console.

It could be just a partnership of sorts between Nintendo and Capcom, but so far Capcom hasn't done anything extra for other ports as far as I know. Okami, Resident Evil 0, 1, 4, 5 and 6, the Megaman Collections, the Ace Attorney Original Trilogy, etc so far have been just ports without extra content.
I won't deny that maybe I'm making this a big deal, but I don't know. Capcom doing extra work for rereleases of Resident Evil, Megaman or Ace Attorney wouldn't surprise me that much, considering these 3 franchises have significant ties to Nintendo. For that reason the fact they did this, but with DMC, which until 2019 had literally 0 ties with Nintendo, confuses me a lot.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Considering we have some of the most important and iconic games represented in Smash now with Pong (Sort of), Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros, Tetris and Minecraft that makes me wonder if we'll get any Space Invaders representation through event spirits (Hell include Bubble Bobble too).
I'm waiting for Frogger.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Honestly Dante's one of the 2 characters I'm outright confident on, I can't accept that DMC3 got a definitive edition exclusive to Switch when DMC started coming to the Switch since May 2019 after Itsuno's remarks acknowledging Dante's increasingly more vocal fan demand. If people are allowed to tinfoil hat for debunked fake leaks and **** I'm going to tinfoil hat for Dante
if people are gonna continue to act like geno is a likely choice, I see no reason not to go full on stan for dante. i'll stand with you on that line. dante is back in the spotlight and i think its the ideal time for him to get in. but i also think he's the single most complex character to design and implement (unless astral chain gets in that character would be a nightmare to make). like most other 3rd party dlc dante can be multiple skins/characters and he comes with music and plenty of stages.

assuming his only major competition is travis touchdown i'll take dante to get chosen by Nintendo executives.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Are people hyping up Vergeben again? I'm a sick, disoriented man and even I know that's wack.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Are people hyping up Vergeben again? I'm a sick, disoriented man and even I know that's wack.
For me, I ain't taking his words as 100% truth, more just an interesting topic of discussion.

Verge's old Minecraft stuff probably doesn't have anything to do with this Character Pack, but it is still funny his two year old leak finally came semi-true (still no Minecraft boss).

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Interesting.

How is Phoenix Wright more likely than Monster Hunter?
I just think the costumes may just come back like the others from smash 4.

as for Phoenix seeing how they handled Steve I’m sure it isn’t a stretch to add in Phoenix because how creative he could be with moveset(as well as his major ties with Nintendo back in gba)

D

Deleted member

I cannot make any genuine predictions yet, but I feel like Dante and Rex/Pyra are quite likely right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I figured that Master Chief was more likely than Steve (though I figured it could go either way), so I feel like any prediction that I'd make would be way off, but my guess would be: (in no particular order)

-Geno (consistent popularity for well over a decade; they're already working with Square-Enix and both of S-E's flagship franchises are in; being a spirit isn't a barrier to a character being included)

-Ryu Hayabusa (Koei-Tecmo is one of the last big Japanese companies that isn't in Smash; they're close enough to Nintendo to work on multiple spin-offs and a main Fire Emblem game; Ninja Gaiden has a lot of history and options for the developers/composers to work with, much like Castlevania)

-Dante (comments from Hideaki Itsuno and Hideki Kamiya; DMC's influence on the action game genre; insane amounts of moveset potential to the point where you could make at least two or three separate movesets for any given DMC game aside from DMC2; Capcom characters being such a popular choice for Smash that people want to see Nintendo vs. Capcom)

-Bandanna Waddle Dee (or any Nintendo character, but I figure Bandanna Dee is a fairly popular choice regardless of region, even if some people dismiss him for being bland or a "Hat Goomba")

Rayman also seems pretty likely, but I don't think that the rest of the second Fighters Pass will be third party. Crash could happen, but I'm not familiar enough with Nintendo's connections to Activision to know for sure.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Geno could still get in, but idk. I hope he does though, I still really want him, even if Steve, Banjo & Kazooie have mostly satisfied me. I am pretty content with Steve here, it’s just Geno would be really cool too, and I know his longtime fans are still waiting.

For other characters I could see likely happening:

-Crash
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Gen 8 ‘mon maybe
-maybe Waluigi
-2B or not 2B
-Sephiroth
-Dante or Phoenix Wright
-Lloyd Irving or another Tales of character
-maaaaybe KOS-MOS
-maaaaaaaaaaybe Reimu
-Herobrine before he gets removed not long after

edit: oh yeah I think Bandana Waddle Dee and some other popular Nintendo characters could happen too (including Waluigi), likely at the end of the pass.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
All of this make me feel that we are getting some more "second chance" characters as well, mainly in the first party.

Rex is easily in the mind of everyone, but I honestly think he won't make it. He seems to close in moveset to existing characters. Elma from XCX is more original with her agility, dual blade and dual guns, but XCX is starting to get old and I feel only a potential XCX Switch Remaster or a XCX2 could boost her chance significantly.

Rhythm Heaven is indeed a serie we shouldn't put aside, with a potential original gimmick if they are pursuing the "unique feel" this pass is bringing in each characters. And there are also some other Nintendo series that are yet to get a character that. I'm thinking mostly to Golden Sun and Advance Wars.

Isaac could maybe benefit from the stage rework to accomodate Steve's building: in vines (creating ladders) or earthquakes. He has a potential of gimmick in the djinns too.

An Advance Wars rep doesn't benefit the stage rework, but it could benefit from a similar hard work they put into Min-Min and Steve to make them feel unique. Some kind of "summoner" character would be a first.

I hardly see a new character for any existing serie, outside of maybe Xenoblade. I strongly believe all the first party will be from series that are still awaiting their first fighters.

I am really pretty bullish about this trend so far: Larger gimmicks and new game.

Byleth wasn't a new IP, of course, but the trend is definitely toward "new worlds" as Sakurai said. I really think all those last three Nintendo franchises you mentioned here, all without stage/character representation but WITH very clear and obvious gimmicks, could be very attractive if Nintendo does want to revive some fan-favorite franchises. We know even more now that Nintendo called all the shots on these character choices.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Vergeben very obviously had legit sources and information back before the base game launched. You don't make that many "lucky guesses." With the DLC though he's been so shoddy that I don't know why he didn't just quit while he was ahead once the game launched because it feels like he's just been reaching ever since.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
One thing I'm fairly certain on at this point: we won't get a western guest character that isn't historically/currently popular in Japan. This would include characters like Rayman, Doomguy, Scorpion, Lara Croft, etc

Prior to Ultimate's formal unveiling, I've always felt the three potential western reps that stood out to me the most were Banjo-Kazooie (former Nintendo mascots), Crash Bandicoot (historical popularity in Japan) and Minecraft (contemporary popularity in Japan), and now we've got 2/3 of them in Smash. Complete the trio, Sakurai.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
One day until we get a brand new round of mass slaughter in the Mii Costume showcase. I would be lying if I said I'm not terrified of what's possibly coming.
I'm kinda expecting them to pull another Square Enix and just have costumes from Microsoft/Rare IPs (meaning way less of a slaughter than expected). They had none with Banjo when they easily have enough for a full wave from just Rare IP alone. For amiibo they can just show off Banjo and Steve, and save Terry+Byleth for the next Fighter reveal.

This is assuming the video might be on repeat at Minecon in a Smash section of the convention or whatever. I can't see them NOT having a Smash section.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was pretty against Steve. Then Banjo got in. So it was lesser so. Then I saw how goofy and unique he looked so now he’s really grown on me. He looks like he took the ender portal and just ended up in the wrong game and I just think that’s ****ing hilarious.
Coming back to this. I want to let everyone know that it’s ok to change your mind. If you stood by that you didn’t want Steve and that you hated him or whatever you don’t have to force yourself to not feel excitement. A change in opinion can be a good thing and no ones going to have a diminished view on you or say your hypocritical for changing your mind. It’s normal.

SKX31

Smash Master
One thing I'm fairly certain on at this point: we won't get a western guest character that isn't historically/currently popular in Japan. This would include characters like Rayman, Doomguy, Scorpion, Lara Croft, etc

Prior to Ultimate's formal unveiling, I've always felt the three potential western reps that stood out to me the most were Banjo-Kazooie (former Nintendo mascots), Crash Bandicoot (historical popularity in Japan) and Minecraft (contemporary popularity in Japan), and now we've got 2/3 of them in Smash. Complete the trio, Sakurai.
I could see that, although I'm not entirely sure we will only get characters that are only popular in Japan when A) There have been Nintendo characters in the past that many Japanese have wondered "why the **** was that added?!" (:4littlemac: , see here) and B) We've had Mii costumes that are not huge in Japan (Vault Boy, Altair to a certain extent).

I do agree that it's likely to be a factor (the Japanese corporation / developers are going to lean towards characters who are notable in Japan) but I don't think it's a hard rule when Nintendo themselves have been inconsistent about this.

I know I'm coming into this argument with a certain bias (and that bias isn't that hidden), but the important thing is that Nintendo has not been entirely consistent about "looking out for Japanese wants".

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Agreed, and while not to the same degree, I think the inverse will be the case for whatever future third party characters we get from Japanese companies as well. Dragon Quest feels like a good range for how modest the success of a franchise in the West vs. Japan can be in regards to getting characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom