• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We've had Mii costumes that are not huge in Japan (Vault Boy, Altair to a certain extent).
Wasn't Altair the popular one in Japan? (While Ezio was more popular in the West)
Or so I've heard at least, not too familiar with the Assassins Creed franchise...

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
... Terry is the one who started off the premium miis, it's where Sans was released.
Then with Byleth, we got Cuphead.
Min Min we got Vault Boy.

It's not a guarantee, but it's happened since it started.
Actually, Banjo started off the PreMiium costumes. Terry was skipped over, and is the only DLC fighter so far whose pack skipped over that kind of Mii Costume.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I am really pretty bullish about this trend so far: Larger gimmicks and new game.

Byleth wasn't a new IP, of course, but the trend is definitely toward "new worlds" as Sakurai said. I really think all those last three Nintendo franchises you mentioned here, all without stage/character representation but WITH very clear and obvious gimmicks, could be very attractive if Nintendo does want to revive some fan-favorite franchises. We know even more now that Nintendo called all the shots on these character choices.
I mean, Byleth may not be from a new series, but the new world argument still applies. Fodlan possesses no (known) attachments to other Fire Emblem worlds, after all.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Honestly, I can imagine the remaining four characters be one or two smaller/niche third parties, one more 1st party, and one more big third party. At the very least that is how I see it.

Funnily enough I'd be surprised if we don't get a lesser known/niche/"small" third party choice, or at least one people have written off. A Terry-esque pick or two would add some nice diversity to the list. This is why I haven't written off characters like Sol Badguy, Reimu, Monokuma, etc etc yet. Travis could also likely fall under this.

A 1st party rep I can not think of much except Rex/Pyra or Bandana Waddle Dee.

A big third party could be someone like Dante or whatnot.

This is just my little personal guesses and I am likely wrong but it feels like a big of a nice balance on things.
I think Ryu Hayabusa could fill the “Terry” Role. Ninja Gaiden isn’t huge but it’s not obscure similar to King of Fighters. I also think Hayabusa could end bringing content from all of Koei Tecmo’s history since has ties to Dead or Alive, Dynasty Warriors & Nioh.

Best part about seeing the reveals is revelling in how miserably off any of these "speculation front-runners" predictions always are. Not ragging you btw, just pointing that out.
Steve was a speculation front-runner for a while. I know he wasn’t brought up too much on this board this year, but he was still getting a lot of talk on Twitter & YouTube.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I prefer hearing everyone's favourite 'never ever' picks over anything else, mine's obvious but I love hearing people talk about games nobody's ever heard of, a friend of mine wants Marine Lightyears or some **** from a game called Mischief Makers and whenever she talks about it I'm like "**** yeah girl tell me all about this ****" and how I ended up discovering games like Ys which I really liked

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Part of me feels like if we were to get another Mario character, it would be an unexpected one since Sakurai usually ends up picking characters nobody expects. I could see Nintendo approaching him to add Professor E. Gadd, who could have a unique moveset by primarily using the vacuum, and maybe his stage could be the hotel from Luigi's Mansion 3.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So given we now know there can be double dips of the same company. What character from that do you guys think has the best chance?

Do you guys think we'll be getting another Square Enix character?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So given we now know there can be double dips of the same company. What character from that do you guys think has the best chance?

Do you guys think we'll be getting another Square Enix character?
Hopefully Sora, if Square Enix.

As for another companies? I wanna see us get a true SEGA-created character (it can be Arle, it can be Axel Stone, it can be Kiryu, it can be Sakura Shinguji).

Staarih

Smash Master
Funny how the Steve reveal video already has 150k likes in just a little over a day. After a quick look, only the Joker presentation has more (180k), and that was over a year ago. Not sure if I missed some other one, but quite a feat either way.

Dislikes are there too, sure... but nothing will ever beat Byleth I'm afraid.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just want to say, people who dislike Steve should not judge him by his appearance, and his animations. It's how he plays that should matter, and how good he is. I remember hearing some people say Piranha Plant was fun to play as, despite being disliked at first.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regarding another Square rep, my bet would be Lara Croft as Tomb Raider is next in line to Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest as Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Pokemon is to Nintendo if we get another Square rep. People seriously underestimate her chances.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't know. Like I said before, Lara was never really that big of a deal in Japan as she was in the west, and even today she feels like she's kinda lost mindshare. And obviously she seemingly doesn't have that much fan demand.

I just don't see her standing out to the Nintendo suits.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
But by the content of his character
Very funny, if that is to be humorous. Technically, Steve lacks character himself, does he? The character we talk about her, the "personality", should thus be his moveset and how he plays here.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't know. Like I said before, Lara was never really that big of a deal in Japan as she was in the west, and even today she feels like she's kinda lost mindshare. And obviously she seemingly doesn't have that much fan demand.

I just don't see her sticking out to the Nintendo suits.
Again.

She's next in line after Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

The same as how Super Mario followed by Pokemon and The Legend of Zelda is by Nintendo.

People are really sleeping on her. A while back too people on the RTC thread were giving her some pretty good chances going to show how slept on she is.

Also, fan demand ain't always a thing otherwise we probably would have gotten Arle or Shadow over Joker.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Funny how the Steve reveal video already has 150k likes in just a little over a day. After a quick look, only the Joker presentation has more (180k), and that was over a year ago. Not sure if I missed some other one, but quite a feat.

Dislikes are there too, sure... but nothing will ever beat Byleth I'm afraid.
Not to mention Steve's reveal has almost 2.5 million views and it's only been a day. That's insane. This legit might be the biggest reveal for Ultimate, maybe even all of Smash.

SKX31

Smash Master
Wasn't Altair the popular one in Japan? (While Ezio was the one for the West)
Or so I've heard at least, not too familiar with the Assassins Creed franchise...
Huh, thought it was the other way around. That AC started to gain popularity later on there with Ezio's games. I searched through MediaCreate / Gematsu as well as their Japanese source 4Gamer (the data's incomplete here too), as well as video game sales wiki:

Japanese sales numbers for the first AC games seem to be extremely difficult to get a hold off. AC 2 managed to get lifetime sales of 100K+, while AC1 seemingly got to 69K by 2010. AC3 and IV started out rather strong at least, and closed in on 100K after a few weeks at the very least. But not 50K in a week like Origins / Odyssey. It indirectly supports the notion that 1 and 2 got a core following going there. IV did get a manga AC3 Remastered (in 2019) didn't do so hot though.

Odyssey did take the #2 slot in its debut week when it outsold Mega Man 11 but didn't get close to Super Mario Party. Origins likewise sold close to 50K in the first week.

I'll have to ask Venus of the Desert Bloom and Ayumi Tachibana if this is true or not, since I'll admit that Japan isn't my speciality. But those datapoints suggest that AC started rather small and built itself up slowly but surely there, so it was rather big by Origins / Odyssey. There are no "Top 500" games in terms of sales listed on the Wiki after 2014, so I'm wondering if "Top 500" lists exist after that point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just want to say, people who dislike Steve should not judge him by his appearance, and his animations. It's how he plays that should matter, and how good he is. I remember hearing some people say Piranha Plant was fun to play as, despite being disliked at first.
Different things matter to different people, and you can't invalidate a facet of someone's opinion just because it doesn't matter to you. I mean, it's not like when a character gets in, you no longer have to look at them.

People support characters on the basis of their appearance. If anyone should understand that, it's a Geno fan. It cuts both ways.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Different things matter to different people, and you can't invalidate a facet of someone's opinion just because it doesn't matter to you. I mean, it's not like when a character gets in, you no longer have to look at them.

People support characters on the basis of their appearance. If anyone should understand that, it's a Geno fan. It cuts both ways.
I wasn't trying to invalidate, I was just saying.

Besides, while the basis of appearance thing might be the case, there is always more to a character than just looks, not matter how out of place they may seem. Not many people seem to realize that. Plus, I think you did not address what I said about how one character plays is what matters more.

Besides, I personally don't think he is ugly.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Coming back to this. I want to let everyone know that it’s ok to change your mind. If you stood by that you didn’t want Steve and that you hated him or whatever you don’t have to force yourself to not feel excitement. A change in opinion can be a good thing and no ones going to have a diminished view on you or say your hypocritical for changing your mind. It’s normal.
And just like that you don't have to force yourself to like something you don't. It's okay to be disappointed. True to the source material or not I absolutely hate Steves animations. Everything he does looks so awkward and out of place, I could not take anything that happened yesterday serious at all. He looks exactly like I didn't want him to look like. But those are the things other people love about him and who am I to rain on their parade? Not every character is gonna pander to my specific tastes. And who knows, maybe Steve will grow on me eventually once we see more.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom