• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
If Chief ever was in Smash, I imagine his moveset would be primarily based around Covenant weaponry like the energy sword and plasma rifle, similar to how Snake's moveset is based around explosives to keep the age ratings down.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Imo if Chief survives tomorrows costume wave something could be up with him.
Maybe, maybe not.

Banjo didn't come with a single costume relevant to Microsoft, not even from his own franchise. If Minecraft is the only Microsoft franchise to get costumes, or if no Microsoft franchises are given costumes, then I don't think that would be particularly suspicious.

Evanosha

Smash Rookie
Maybe, maybe not.

Banjo didn't come with a single costume relevant to Microsoft, not even from his own franchise. If Minecraft is the only Microsoft franchise to get costumes, or if no Microsoft franchises are given costumes, then I don't think that would be particularly suspicious.
I am operating under the assumption there will be Microsoft costumes tomorrow

If there aren't any, his absence probably means nothing. But if there are, say Minecraft, Ori, ect costumes tomorrow, and Chief is MIA, then that is sus.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah. Chief would bring Krystal's Sniper Rifle from Smash Flash into a Smash Game with an Actual Controls and I want that.
Well it certainly wasn't gonna be Krystal wielding it. Not because of the assist trophy, not because of Smash fans thinking every character has to be BIG, but because that would mean Nintendo has to acknowledge Krystal.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Hot take: Chell from Portal is a somewhat plausible cDLC character. Sakurai/Nintendo seem to be prioritizing unique concepts for Volume 2 (Min Min with extendable limbs, Steve with crafting), and a portal gimmick would be really unique. Plus, Portal + Portal 2 are very popular games.
I don't see a Valve character ever happening considering Nintendo and Valve don't really have any business relationship with each other.

And I feel like even if they did, Gordon Freeman would took priority, as Half Life is Valve's flagship series.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hot take: Chell from Portal is a somewhat plausible cDLC character. Sakurai/Nintendo seem to be prioritizing unique concepts for Volume 2 (Min Min with extendable limbs, Steve with crafting), and a portal gimmick would be really unique. Plus, Portal + Portal 2 are very popular games.
And Portal Bridge Builder and Lego Dimensions were on Nintendo platforms so that one rule (waits for people to jump down throat for insinuating a rule) would be covered

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I'm assuming that the moveset breakdown will probably take around 20-25 minutes to describe. Steve seems to have at least 6 special moves (Block Placement, Crafting, Digging, TNT, Minecart, and Elytra) and he may or may not have to build all of the tools for his moveset so it'll be interesting to see how he works.

Well it certainly wasn't gonna be Krystal wielding it. Not because of the assist trophy, not because of Smash fans thinking every character has to be BIG, but because that would mean Nintendo has to acknowledge Krystal.
I'm all for dunking on Krystal but she's already in the game, man.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You wanna go from Steve, To Crash, to Sora-----
and then have those other guys?
To be fair, most of the BIG Smash reveals tend to happen in the beginning-middle of Smash speculation cycles anyway.
They start with a MAJOR inclusion in order to build the hype, then another huge one in the middle to retain that hype. The tail end of reveals tend to be characters who won't garner as much attention, because by then, most people will already be on board.

This is true of Brawl, Smash 4, Smash 4 DLC, Ultimate, and Ultimate DLC1.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd say Krystal's AT was pretty good acknowledgement, especially when we're still off an era of Star Fox 64 being the only Star that ever Foxed.
I don't see a Valve character ever happening considering Nintendo and Valve don't really have any business relationship with each other.

And I feel like even if they did, Gordon Freeman would took priority, as Half Life is Valve's flagship series.
Valve's flagship series varies wildly.

It's been Half-Life, Team Fortress 2, Counter Strike and Portal (it got a lego set after all)

SKX31

Smash Master
Damn, Melee must really be that much of a favorite of fans, despite how it looks, of course.
It's been played competitively since at least 2002, so yes. And there are still things that are being discovered (quite alike Street Fighter II - something new was discovered in that game after 25 years).

This is also true of other Smash games too - 64 still has an active playerbase (even if it's smaller), and it has Combo Contests. Likewise, there were a lot of quirks within Brawl and Sm4sh that a lot of people legitimately enjoyed, and people might even discover new stuff in them in the future.

Edit:

I don't know if they would give Microsoft 3 Fighter Packs.
I don't know either, but there's a legitimate case to give here. Especially since Mojang's rather independent operationally (although how independent it is is the big question).

Now the real question is if they'll give the same company 2 Packs in the same Pass. That looks next-to-impossible on the surface, but given the asymmetry (6 packs in FP2 instead of FP1's 5), there's a small chance that something could be up.

I should not get ahead of myself - it's a really small chance at most, and likely nonexistent - but if something exists it can't be entirely discounted if it happens.

Oh man, Valve talk?

I don't see it happening either, but I'd love even the slightest inclusion. Dota 2's the "never ever, but I'd love it" inclusion, while reastically it's likely going to be Gordon Freeman if that happens. I could see Chell, although her case is a bit weakened since Gordon has the Gravity Gun from Half Life 2 as an option (and the showcase weapon for the Havoc Engine when it and Half Life 2 was new).

TF2, maybe, although then I wonder "why the **** has Valve not ported TF2 to the Switch? Why the **** have they not done more than Bridge Constructor?". Ditto several other of its games - they could port many of its older games (Orange Box) plus their mobile titles (I hoped Dota Underlords, which got a mobile release, would get ported, but nope so far) and gain a lot out of it.

It's strange since hypotheoretically a partnership between Nintendo and Valve makes tons of sense.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Master Chief ain't confirmed a Mii costume tomorrow, I still say he has somewhat of a chance taking Nintendo's and Microsoft's relationship into account.

Who knows maybe he'll be our E3 reveal next year assuming the virus ain't as big by then or got a vaccine.

Even then, I'm leaning on tomorrow him being Mii'd.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If Chief ever was in Smash, I imagine his moveset would be primarily based around Covenant weaponry like the energy sword and plasma rifle, similar to how Snake's moveset is based around explosives to keep the age ratings down.
It's so ****ing funny to me how 2 games later they bring a character with realistic firearms meaning Snake would have had the SOCOM if he was added later
I'd say Krystal's AT was pretty good acknowledgement, especially when we're still off an era of Star Fox 64 being the only Star that ever Foxed
Honestly people seem to ignore how a bunch of ATs were likely chosen from the ballot, Isaac, Krystal, Zero and Black Knight are just some examples from the top of my head

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's so ****ing funny to me how 2 games later they bring a character with realistic firearms meaning Snake would have had the SOCOM if he was added later
Both of the Brawl third-parties would be completely different. There's no way post-Brawl Sakurai would add Sonic with a moveset like ballballballballball.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's been played competitively since at least 2002, so yes. And there are still things that are being discovered (quite alike Street Fighter II - something new was discovered in that game after 25 years).

This is also true of other Smash games too - 64 still has an active playerbase (even if it's smaller), and it has Combo Contests. Likewise, there were a lot of quirks within Brawl and Sm4sh that a lot of people legitimately enjoyed, and people might even discover new stuff in them in the future.

Edit:

I knew how popular Melee was from before, and how competitive it was, so I should have know a Holy Manuscripts thing would be made for that game.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
They don't call it the best highest selling game for nothing.

Also.

1. Steve?
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Min Min
4. Joker
5. Hero
6. Terry Bogard
7. Piranha Plant
8. Byleth

Poor Byleth...Still the least popular it seems...
Byleth is still a good boy in my eyes

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
wew, Minecraft is kinda popular huh
Interesting how Banjo & Kazooie, Byleth, and Steve are the only characters to get at least 1,000 dislikes. I know Byleth got dislike bombed because he pissed off the core fanbase that much, and Steve probably has a lot more people that care about his inclusion one way or another, but I'm not really sure what would have caused Banjo & Kazooie to reach this amount of dislikes.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
At this point I still stand that the only characters I'm fairly certain on are a Gen 8 Pokemon and Travis Touchdown.
You may think that but i say that it seems unlikely, overated,And just fearmongering

it just Dosent make sense to me ever since the spirit event
“But it’s pokemon”
“But there’s more left to spirit”
“But it can still promote dlc”
“But it Dosent have to be the ones that are spirits”
I am not having a gosh darn argument about it cuz that’s like the only 4 things I’m gonna hear when they defend it.

and I bet those who defend it also defend paper Mario after the origami spirits came out

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I just remembered. It's been so long since the last one that I had forgotten, but there was no Nintendo NYC reaction vid for Steve. The NYC vids were always one of my favorite things to watch after a Smash reveal, and it especially sucks because I know it would have been good this time around.

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You may think that but i say that it seems unlikely, overated,And just fearmongering

it just Dosent make sense to me ever since the spirit event
“But it’s pokemon”
“But there’s more left to spirit”
“But it can still promote dlc”
“But it Dosent have to be the ones that are spirits”
I am not having a gosh darn argument about it cuz that’s like the only 4 things I’m gonna hear when they defend it.

and I bet those who defend it also defend paper Mario after the origami spirits came out
Part of me is just feeling it'll be the Byleth of this Pass only more positive, at least Pokemon makes sense for why it has so many reps. Biggest media franchise after all.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Interesting how Banjo & Kazooie, Byleth, and Steve are the only characters to get at least 1,000 dislikes. I know Byleth got dislike bombed because he pissed off the core fanbase that much, and Steve probably has a lot more people that care about his inclusion one way or another, but I'm not really sure what would have caused Banjo & Kazooie to reach this amount of dislikes.
Honestly? It might have been a response against mean Banjo fans. I know a couple of people who grumbled about Banjo for that reason.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So a new game. From best to worst. How would you guys rate and list every newcomer as of current?

Me personally.

1. :ultkrool:
2.:ultridley:
3.:ultbanjokazooie:
4.:ultminmin
5.:ultsimon:
6.:ultrichter:
7. :ultpiranha:
8.:ultinkling:
9.:ult_terry:
10. Steve
11.:ultjoker:
12.:ultdaisy:
13.:ultdarksamus:
14.:ultincineroar:
15.:ulthero:
16.:ultken:
17.:ultisabelle:
18.:ultchrom:
19.:ultbyleth:

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Saying you think something is likely doesn't mean it's fearmongering, even if it's not really an outcome most desire.
It really is for Pokémon trust me
Part of me is just feeling it'll be the Byleth of this Pass only more positive, at least Pokemon makes sense for why it has so many reps. Biggest media franchise after all.
That’s one of the excuses I listed I keep on hearing and you said it

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
View attachment 287973

wew, Minecraft is kinda popular huh
What I find most interesting is that Min Min has the third most likes out of the seven DLC characters. She did better than Joker, Hero, Terry, and (obviously) Byleth. Steve has arguably become the second most controversial DLC character so far, and he squashed Banjo's numbers in less than a day.

I think more people need to see this. Really emphasizes how big the silent majority truly is and how the vocal minority within the Smash fanbase isn't necessarily what most people want.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
1. Steve?
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Min Min
4. Joker
5. Hero
6. Terry Bogard
7. Piranha Plant
8. Byleth

Poor Byleth...Still the least popular it seems...
  1. Byleth
  2. Steve
  3. Banjo & Kazooie
  4. Hero
  5. Min Min
  6. Piranha Plant
  7. Terry
  8. Joker
Dang. Even when you flip the script and look at the highest number of dislikes, Byleth still comes out on bottom...Well, you know what they say: There's no accounting for taste. :p

More seriously though, it's interesting to see how Byleth is the only character in the same spot. Steve and Banjo & Kazooie are almost as unpopular as they are popular relative to each other. Joker probably has the highest positive like to dislike ratio considering he's the fourth liked, and least disliked, Hero and Min Min are about the same with both likes and dislikes, and Terry and Piranha Plant aren't the most popular characters in the DLC, but it seems not enough people even care enough to hate them.

EDIT: Inb4 it turns out I have no idea how statistics work and this isn't exactly the takeaways I should be making. lol

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I knew how popular Melee was from before, and how competitive it was, so I should have know a Holy Manuscripts thing would be made for that game.
Yeah, there are some that take it that seriously. they don't use words like "Holy Manuscripts" but act like it practically. Aka. "Melee is the only worthwhile Smash game." It's part of the Casual / Competitive conflict that raged here (and other Smash sites) during Brawl's pre-release period and still lingers here and there.

I don't condone that mindset for obvious reasons.

So a new game. From best to worst. How would you guys rate and list every newcomer as of current?

Me personally.

1. :ultkrool:
2.:ultridley:
3.:ultbanjokazooie:
4.:ultminmin
5.:ultsimon:
6.:ultrichter:
7. :ultpiranha:
8.:ultinkling:
9.:ult_terry:
10. Steve
11.:ultjoker:
12.:ultdaisy:
13.:ultdarksamus:
14.:ultken:
15.:ulthero:
16.:ultisabelle:
17.:ultchrom:
18.:ultbyleth:
Okay, so (going from a gameplay perspective mainly):

1. :ult_terry:
2. :ulthero:
3. Steve (so far, might rise or fall depending on how crazy he is. If he's crazy like Hero, then he might rise.)
4. :ultken:
5. :ultjoker:
6. :ultincineroar:
7. :ultridley:
8. :ultinkling:
9. :ultbanjokazooie:
10. :ultchrom:
11. :ultminmin
12. :ultkrool:
13. :ultisabelle:
14. :ultsimon:
15. :ultbyleth:
16. :ultdarksamus:
17. :ultpiranha:
18. :ultrichter:
19: :ultdaisy: (Wasted potential for both of these. Aaargh.)

I think I show my bias here towards long combo games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom