• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
So a new game. From best to worst. How would you guys rate and list every newcomer as of current?

Me personally.

1. :ultkrool:
2.:ultridley:
3.:ultbanjokazooie:
4.:ultminmin
5.:ultsimon:
6.:ultrichter:
7. :ultpiranha:
8.:ultinkling:
9.:ult_terry:
1601664656378.png

11.:ultjoker:
12.:ultdaisy:
13.:ultdarksamus:
14.:ultincineroar:
15.:ulthero:
16.:ultken:
17.:ultisabelle:
18.:ultchrom:
19.:ultbyleth:
This is a bit tough, since I don't actually dislike any of them:
1. :ultbyleth:
2. :ulthero2:
3. :ultchrom:
4. :ultrichter:
5. :ultsimon:
6. :ult_terry:
7. :ultken:
8. :ultjoker:
9. Steve
10. :ultpiranha:
11. :ultminmin
12. :ultinkling:
13. :ultkrool:
14. :ultbanjokazooie:
15. :ultridley:
16. :ultisabelle:
17. :ultincineroar:
18. :ultdarksamus:
19. :ultdaisy:

Like I said though, I don't actually dislike any of the characters, but there are some that I like significantly more than others.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm moving to a new house right now and Vergeburger returns to say discussions between KT and Nintendo happened?

Oh gosh the next couple of months are going to be something that's for sure. I'm on mobile rinnow so I'll save quite a bit of things to say on the topic until I get on my laptop tomorrow or after.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Huh? What are those Byleth numbers? His reveal got the most likes out of any Smash character with 145K as of right now.
I didn't make the pic. It's not using numbers from presentations but from character trailers.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
I'm sure it can be, but it's not inherently so. If they're not just saying it to get people riled up, then it's just an opinion.
I did see that happen in a discord server where I’m mostly at and prob a few times on twitter too there could be more tho

Shroob

Sup?
What I find most interesting is that Min Min has the third most likes out of the seven DLC characters. She did better than Joker, Hero, Terry, and (obviously) Byleth. Steve has arguably become the second most controversial DLC character so far, and he squashed Banjo's numbers in less than a day.

I think more people need to see this. Really emphasizes how big the silent majority truly is and how the vocal minority within the Smash fanbase isn't necessarily what most people want.
I mean, if you like using evidence that's faulty because it only takes into consideration the English fanbase sure,

Like, on that image, Hero's on the lower end, where he basically dwarfs everyone else, even Steve currently in Japan. She's basically sitting at 4th place, which, while not bad, still puts Hero, Banjo, and Steve all above her, and Steve will definitely continue to climb.

Also, the Byleth hate was MUCH less in Japan if we're doing the whole like/dislike thing. You can see it, but it's nowhere near as extreme in the West.

The picture, while accurate, is flawed, since it only covers, ya know, half the fanbase. MinMin did well, no doubt, but I also believe that against another big powername like Crash or Master Chief, she'd be crushed easily.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Huh? What are those Byleth numbers? His reveal got the most likes out of any Smash character with 145K as of right now.
I couldn't find where those numbers came from. The Gamespot reupload, Gamexplain reupload, and even the official Super Smash Bros YT channel all have different numbers from that image.

Meanwhile, the actual reveal presentation has this Like:Dislike ratio:
1601665017377.png

The only thing I didn't check was the japanese upload of the presentation, so the numbers might have come from there. That said, it seems disingenuous to not combine the numbers, and just take from an individualized video.

Edit: Also, it can be kinda hard to gauge interest using Like:dislike ratios, since not all the characters were revealed on their own. Terry for example, was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, so his numbers basically tell us nothing.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
What I find most interesting is that Min Min has the third most likes out of the seven DLC characters. She did better than Joker, Hero, Terry, and (obviously) Byleth. Steve has arguably become the second most controversial DLC character so far, and he squashed Banjo's numbers in less than a day.

I think more people need to see this. Really emphasizes how big the silent majority truly is and how the vocal minority within the Smash fanbase isn't necessarily what most people want.
People, please don't use those numbers as some sort of science. They are western only and the way characters were announced no doubt influenced the numbers. The only things you can discern from it are the obvious anomalies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, if you like using evidence that's faulty because it only takes into consideration the English fanbase sure,

Like, on that image, Hero's on the lower end, where he basically dwarfs everyone else, even Steve currently in Japan. She's basically sitting at 4th place, which, while not bad, still puts Hero, Banjo, and Steve all above her, and Steve will definitely continue to climb.

Also, the Byleth hate was MUCH less in Japan if we're doing the whole like/dislike thing. You can see it, but it's nowhere near as extreme in the West.

The picture, while accurate, is flawed, since it only covers, ya know, half the fanbase. MinMin did well, no doubt, but I also believe that against another big powername like Crash or Master Chief, she'd be crushed easily.
People, please don't use those numbers as some sort of science. They are western only and the way characters were announced no doubt influenced the numbers. The only things you can discern from it are the obvious anomalies.
The point I was getting at is that a lot of people seem to believe that (1) not many people were excited for Min Min, and (2) Steve would be hated by most people.

It's less about how the characters rank and more about there not being much evidence supporting these claims despite the fact that most people seem to believe them.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
I personally never saw the appeal of Minecraft. I've never played it and I probably never will. I just don't have any interest in that type of game. That doesn't mean I dislike Steve's inclusion, though. I actually kind of love it.

I was one of those people that saw Banjo as a pipe dream for years, but still hoped that he'd get included somehow. I was so incredibly happy when he was finally announced. It felt like Nintendo was personally granting one of my biggest dreams I had back when I was a young kid and first played Smash Bros. No joke, Banjo even released on my birthday. Terry also getting revealed on that day was incredible to me, too. I'm Mexican, what else can I say about that.

A younger cousin of mine messaged me yesterday asking if I heard about Steve showing up in Smash Bros. He was very excited, the most I've ever seen him in regards to any video game. In fact, the last time he talked to me about Smash was to complain about Byleth getting in. His enthusiasm for Steve actually reminded me of myself with Banjo. That's pretty much what I realized about this. For many younger people, Steve is their Banjo. A character they always hoped would get included against all odds and now he's actually playable and can duke it out against other legendary video game characters like Mario, Cloud or Sonic. It's a very surreal experience, honestly. Steve himself looks pretty fun and I'll definitely try him out.

I'm really glad that this game can make so many people happy just by adding one more character to its enormous roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So a new game. From best to worst. How would you guys rate and list every newcomer as of current?
I'll explain only the top and bottom 5 so I'm not here all day.
  1. Incineroar
    • I think he's my favorite playing character in the game, and I quite like him as a Pokémmon as well.
  2. Piranha Plant
    • Just pure, dumb fun, and I love it.
  3. Steve
    • It's hard to judge when I haven't played him yet, but I really like him as a pick, and the experience of showing my sister a character she actually gave a crap about was amazing.
  4. Min Min
    • I think she should have been Spring Man, but how fun she is makes up for it by quite a bit. Imma need Spring Man in the next game tho.
  5. Byleth
    • Here's where I start to have issues with characters, or characters that don't quite click for me. I actually like Byleth, but I think his moveset could have been better if "lol sword bad" wasn't the main driver of it.
  6. King K. Rool
  7. Terry
  8. Simon
  9. Joker
  10. Hero
  11. Chrom
  12. Isabelle
  13. Ridley
  14. Ken
  15. Inkling
    • I don't really have an attachment to these guys, and they're kinda awkward in Super Smash Bros.
  16. Banjo & Kazooie
    • I don't really have an attachment to them either, and they are super awkward in this game.
  17. Richter
    • They're the
  18. Daisy
    • embodiment of
  19. Dark Samus
    • missed potential

Last edited:

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I have no doubts about that. This is easily going to be the most viewed Smash trailer ever, especially with Sakurai making an appearance at Minecraft Live. Heck, I can even see this giving Smash itself a massive boost in sales.
he’s really coming to minecraft live? I thought they were having 2 separate events

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I did see that happen in a discord server where I’m mostly at and prob a few times on twitter too there could be more tho
I think the point is not everyone who throws around the idea of a Pokemon is fearmonfering. Some legitimately want one like other characters. And some just view it as likely based on the history. Just look at every time we get a new Smash game, we pretty much always get a new mon that's representative of the current gen with the only absences being gen 3 and 5 who were beat out by more current gens at the time which helps.

Then there is obviously how for the past 2 games they knew they were going to add a Pokemon so in Greninja's case they got design docs of him before he was even publicly revealed and they apparently had a gen 7 mon pegged for 2 years until USUM released to pick Incineroar.

The spirit event is certainly controversial but I don't really think it means much for several reasons. One, it was quite clearly planned from a bit early before Sword and Shiled's release since it has Morpeko in it who was revealed in August and completely lacking mons like Sirfetch'd who were revealed the following month. Second, it was one of few instances where a spirit event was made specifically to coincide with the launch of the game instead of waiting 3 or 4 months like Astral Chain and Ring Fit. Lastly, none of the mons actually were ones that people thought were too likely anyways and most of them were squashed together easily meaning they can be separated for a spirit board or just pull an ARMS and not give af about spirits and just chuck the ones from the spirit event in the board itslef. Or they could just use the DLC expansion pass as a base. Idk I somewhat get why people are sceptical but I don't think it means much tbh.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Someone from Dynasty Warriors.
If we get any other KT character before Hayabusa imma throw molotovs.

But if it's outside that please let it be ryu hayabusa (the final NES era character missing in smash)
/indignation intensifies
1601668215985.png

Everyone pay attention to me. These are the four characters that I want for this Fighters Pass. That is all.
I'm too lazy to update my image, so I'll just say:
1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
4. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I do understand your point, but I've got to imagine the English speaking world far outweighs the number of Smash fans. Not even counting Canada, Australia, the UK, or other countries, the US alone has more than 3x the population of Japan. It would be odd to me if half of all fans came from Japan.

Shroob

Sup?
I do understand your point, but I've got to imagine the English speaking world far outweighs the number of Smash fans. Not even counting Canada, Australia, the UK, or other countries, the US alone has more than 3x the population of Japan. It would be odd to me if half of all fans came from Japan.
Yeah, but in consequence, the like/dislike rations are pretty even across the board.

Like, most people inherently don't like/dislike a video, I sure as hell don't, and when you look at the JP/EN Like/Dislike ratios, they're pretty damn even, which is what this image was trying to push without taking the JP side into account, which very much does match, if not beat, the EN side a lot.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Me personally.

10. Steve
S: :ultridley::ultkrool:

A: :ultdarksamus::ult_terry::ultsimon::ultbanjokazooie::ultrichter:

B: :ulthero::ultken::ultchrom::ultminmin

C: :ultjoker::ultpiranha::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultincineroar:

D: Steve:ultbyleth:

Recent reveals have tailed things off a little bit for me, I understand the choices perfectly fine, but my personal preference is what it is. My bias towards old school gaming really shows on this list, so with the last three reveals being newer characters, I'm hopeful it might be time for an oldie next. There are newer characters I'd enjoy, but I don't really fancy their chances, so it's more likely I'll get something I like if we get something old school.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Me personally.

10. Steve
I couldn't decide on an exact rating for each character, so I just decided to tier them. Also, I'm ranking the Dragon Quest Heroes separately because I have differing feelings on them.

YES, YES, YES: :ultridley:, :ulthero2:, :ultbyleth:
Hell yeah!: :ultinkling:,:ultsimon:, :ultchrom:, :ultkrool:, :ulthero3:, Steve
Pretty neat: :ultrichter:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultken:, :ultpiranha:, :ultjoker:, :ulthero:, :ulthero4:, :ultbanjokazooie:, :ult_terry:
Indifference: :ultdaisy:, :ultisabelle:
Would have preferred another option from their game: :ultincineroar:, :ultminmin

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Aight my current newcomer ratings

ADORE::ultminmin:ultsteve:(Steve and Min are probably tied for now tbh, but I'll rank Min Min first for now assuming I haven't even tried out Steve yet)

LOVE::ult_terry::ultjoker::ultbyleth::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultchrom:

LIKE: :ultridley::ultpiranha::ulthero::ultkrool::ultken:

INDIFFERENT::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultbanjokazooie:

SORTA DISLIKE: :ultdarksamus:

Really solid lineup. Amazing at best, and meh at worst. The only character that I'm a bit more negative on is Dark Samus, and that's still only very slight.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My new prediction.

78: Ryu Hayabusa
79: Monster Hunter
80: Cinderace
81: Geno

I'm starting to think that Travis and No More Heroes might get spirited.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Alright we're doing a hype reveal tier list/stance on newcomers

S: :ultbanjokazooie:, Everyone is Here, :ultkrool:, :ultjoker:,:ultridley:,:ultsimon: and :ultrichter:
A: Steve, :ultinkling:, :ultisabelle:, :ult_terry:, :ultchrom:,:ultken:
B: :ultdarksamus:, :ultpiranha:,:ulthero:,:ultminmin,:ultbyleth:,:ultincineroar:
F: :ultdaisy:

Personally I hate Daisy because she feels like the most wasteful echo fighter ever, they could have just made her an alt like Alex and she would have been fine. Also she doesn't say "Hi I'm Daisy" so she's an absolute travesty.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
If Chief ever was in Smash, I imagine his moveset would be primarily based around Covenant weaponry like the energy sword and plasma rifle, similar to how Snake's moveset is based around explosives to keep the age ratings down.
Believe it or not, weaponry like guns is not something that affects and age rating. You can look up Shadow the Hedgehog's rating being an E10+ while A Hat in Time sits at a comfy T rating for slight use of blood at one point.

It's more about the reaction to a certain weapon than the weapon itself. If blood and gore are shown from a gun, sword or punch, you're in trouble. Smash is Fantasy Violence that it gets away with any attacks of this sort. Things like mature themes, heavy sexual content, and use of drugs are what really affects the rating.

I'm not even joking. Smash also already has multiple weapons as either art with certain spirits or used by Joker and Bayonetta. Even Snake and Captain Falcon have guns on his model so someone like Chief, Gordon, Franklin, CJ, Michael, Trevor or Slayer would be just fine as long as they don't say very mature things or bleed.

I think Snake was mainly made with only explosives mainly because not only is Snake more calculated and used to fight Metal Gears, but because Sakurai either thought it would be less complicated to balance or more easy to understand.

This all makes me feel one reload based gunner has a great shot in this pass, pun intended.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Mii Fighter costumes I hope to see tomorrow.

Since Steve is Microsoft, maybe we will see Microsoft costumes like:
  • Abominable Snowman from SkiFree :ultbrawler:
  • Battletoads :ultbrawler:
  • Clippy :ultmiifighters:
  • Conker :ultswordfighter:
  • Creeper :ultmiifighters:
  • Fulgore :ultbrawler:
  • Joanna Dark :ultgunner:
  • Marcus Fenix :ultgunner:
  • Master Chief :ultgunner:
An Age of Empires Mii costume would be amazing since that's a prime Swordfighter candidate. Oh and 3D Pinball Space Cadet.

Massive + points for the Snowman and Clippy, that said.

I do swear that Microsoft had other game series under their belt that weren't under the Xbox Game Studios umbrella... they weren't that memorable though generally. Apparently Microsoft licensed and published Gex on Windows computers?

And finally, the SSS+ tier choice (:4pacman:) :

1601667892121.jpeg

Aka. the program / Operative System that helped spawn Clippy.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
I will go:

I popped off: :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
I was quite excited: :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ultsteve:
Good Reveals: :ultinkling::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultken::ultincineroar::ult_terry::ultminmin
Meh: :ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
Some Level of Disappointment: :ultisabelle::ulthero::ultbyleth:

Now, this is in no way how I feel now (Hero being one of the most fun characters in the game made me like him). This was just my initial reaction to their reveal.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So regarding the video, I posted by Papagenos. It's a possibility that Cacomallow could very well still be real as negotiations of Steve getting into Smash took 5 years.

What do you guys think? And if perhaps revealed tomorrow does for their chances?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So regarding the video, I posted by Papagenos. It's a possibility that Cacomallow could very well still be real as negotiations of Steve getting into Smash took 5 years.

What do you guys think? And if perhaps revealed tomorrow does for their chances?
No. Stop.

EDIT: To be a little less mean, a long negotiation time is in no way related to a long testing period/sitting on the costumes they've made for an entire year. Also why is there not a size option that's the same as the default size. This bugs me to no end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom