• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Plus, I thinke while Steve may look "out of place", at least he is in character much, which Sakruai may wanted to make happen with Steve. How else could you make Steve and make him look and be in character?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
When I first saw Steve, I agree that I thought he looked super out of place. However, I know myself well enough to know that it wouldn't take me that long to get used to it, and sure enough, around 7 hours later, I was already used to it.

It does look a bit strange, but there's something about it that I still find appealing. IMO, I think Steve is fine the way he is.

What?

Cortez is... niche?

Wow, you sure work fast.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Not to mention Steve's reveal has almost 2.5 million views and it's only been a day. That's insane. This legit might be the biggest reveal for Ultimate, maybe even all of Smash.
Oh, I have no doubts about that. This is easily going to be the most viewed Smash trailer ever, especially with Sakurai making an appearance at Minecraft Live. Heck, I can even see this giving Smash itself a massive boost in sales.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
While I find the very untouched Steve look they went with jarring, I'd prefer it over a bizarre looking 3D model

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I see the minecraft characters as kind of a 'retro' look but on the 3d side. The blockiness can be charming, but it's still 'ugly' compared to the other characters. The animations are choppy too, which someone could say is charming too, and it is, but for many people that's going to be a turn off.

How a character plays is important, but people feast with their eyes too, so it'll matter for quite a few people.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Also, while Melee may have been ugly overall, it was still a beloved game and very fun. I can imagine Steve being fun, despite looking maybe ugly himself.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Two characters that don't have a chance that I would want are Epic Mickey Mouse designed like the games and Prince Fluff from Kirby's Epic Yarn. Both would have very intriguing move-sets.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imo Minecraft graphics look nice; he does look out of place due to his pixels, but it’s not in an ugly way imo. And it’s kinda like if you had a real dude standing next to a life-sized Steve figure in real life.

Of course I’m a huge Minecraft fan and have been for almost a decade so I guess it’ll never look ugly to me due to my bias, even if shaders are nice to play with sometimes as they do add cool and “pretty” effects, and of course there’s those cool texturepacks. But I love the default look too. I understand why others think he’s ugly though, but I think Minecraft characters are cool and cute.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I thought most Melee characters were the ones who looked ugly.
That's not really fair because Melee is an ugly ass game, Brawl graphics aren't 90% vomit
Snaps

Oh no, it's beautiful because it's an ugly, broken mess of a wonderful game. It's a vast difference from just saying it's "ugly":

Trust me, I've read the HMM (Holy Melee Manuscripts) and can recite them to the point my brain is filled to the brim with shine sound effects.

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think we are getting at least 1 more 1st party character and I'd say a Zelda and XC character are around at the top in terms of of likelihood. I will say that I think people over rate Rex and Pyra's chances but also under rate Lora and Jin. I think Rex is still possible of course, but I think a lot of the things in his favor also apply to the other.

As for Lora and Jin, I think its still strange that we don't have any spirit events for Torna. Yes, spirit events don't typically happen for DLC; but Torna is in a unique position in that it also had a standalone release by itself. There are no Torna tracks in Smash, too. Octopath Traveler also showcases that they have no problem adding spirits far down the line.

I may be biased because I think Lora and Jin transition to the gameplay of Smash a lot better than Rex and Pyra too. They'd have to go the extra mile in implementing a unique moveset for both of them, sure; but ARMS and Steve both showcase that they are willing to go the extra mile. Whereas, Rex and Pyra would mostly have Pyra in the background; maybe with a Mythra install. I think it would be more interesting between swapping between Lora and Jin, on top of all the standard stuff in XC 2.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Snaps

Oh no, it's beautiful because it's an ugly, broken mess of a wonderful game. It's a vast difference from just saying it's "ugly":

Trust me, I've read the HMM (Holy Melee Manuscripts) and can recite them to the point my brain is filled to the brim with shine sound effects.

:4pacman:
Oh really? I never thought there was such thing as the Holy Melee Manuscripts. :troll: (You can probably tell I am just messing with you there)

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
You know, I've been thinking, In hindsight, every character we've gotten so far is almost 100% the best choice from a more unbiased standpoint. Everyone has the potential for a unique and fun moveset so I won't mention that on this list. Every element for a character seems to be taken into consideration for their inclusion and it doesn't seem like some elements are too overvalued compared to others.

Joker: Critically acclaimed and pretty popular RPG getting more recognition slowly and a pick that is pretty mature and isn't really associated much with Nintendo, letting people know they're going crazy and big. Nintendo and Sega are on friendly terms.

Hero: The biggest, most impactful, longstanding, and popular JRPG series in Japan, Smash Bros' home country. Square Enix and Nintendo are on good terms.

Banjo and Kazooie: Pretty popular and acclaimed all around. A main staple mascot of the N64 era and heavily requested and considered for years in Smash. Nintendo and Microsoft have had a solid relationship going.

Terry: One of the main pillars of fighting games. Very popular in Japan and South America. The game series that inspired the creation of Super Smash Bros.

Byleth: Seems to be the most popular and critically acclaimed Fire Emblem game to date. A unique, standout choice for the series that puts eyes on the newest game and really keeps FE up to date. If it wasn't for Corrin, lack of popularity and the over bloating Fire Emblem, it would've been an even better pick.

Min Min: Nintendo's fighting game series. That really says it all. While Smash is now a full on gaming celebration, Nintendo still gets top billing and not including their new fighting game series that sold surprisingly well for the first game had to happen despite us not really thinking about it.

Steve / Alex: The highest selling game in the world. Inspired countless games, critically acclaimed, still going strong for years on end. This is someone you can show to people who aren't deep into gaming and they'll take notice on the creative implementation and impact of Super Smash Bros. Microsoft and Nintendo have a solid relationship too mainly created by this game.

Franklin / Michael / Trevor / CJ: The best selling game series not in Super Smash Bros, only beaten by Mario, Tetris and Pokemon. Critically acclaimed series from a critically acclaimed developer and publisher. GTA V on its own is the second highest selling game in the world. Even popular in Japan. The iconic series has incredible impact all over the modern gaming industry as well for years essentially even creating their own genre. Both Rockstar Games and their owners TakeTwo have had a pretty good relationship with Nintendo with DS games, Wii games, LA Noire on the Switch, and the many 2K games on the Switch as well. Very probable the new versions of GTA V will release alongside a Switch port just like LA Noire did.

Sora: Long standing request by fans. Popular overall from a very well regarded series. A character initially created for a crossover game and the third most popular Square Enix JRPG.

Crash: The most iconic mascot platformer character not in Smash. Long standing and respected fan request with critical acclaim. The other challenger of the 90s console wars as well as the original Sony PlayStation representative.

I'd argue characters like Dante, Rex and Pyra, A Zelda rep, Gordon, Chell, Heavy, Drangoborn among some others could truly take from one or multiple of these laid out categories.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The one thing I love about Steve being in Ultimate is it's like they literally took him out of his game and just pasted him in there.

That said, I certainly think given his variable moveset, he's certainly going to be one of the most fun characters ever and as someone who wasn't supporting him, I'm really excited about his inclusion and look forward to playing as him. He's from the highest selling game of all time that left an impact on modern gaming, he certainly earns his inclusion.

Another thing people might not realize but Steve is our first true western rep in the game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wasn't trying to invalidate, I was just saying.

Besides, while the basis of appearance thing might be the case, there is always more to a character than just looks, not matter how out of place they may seem. Not many people seem to realize that. Plus, I think you did not address what I said about how one character plays is what matters more.
There's no rulebook, "x matters most, then y, then z". What matters most varies from person to person. A character is a collection of many qualities, and the beauty of it is no two people have to have the same hierarchy of value.

People can judge a character however they want, it's their opinion. You might disagree with the conclusion they reach, I often do, but you know as well as I do that many times people gravitate towards characters for reasons apart from gameplay, and then adapt to how the character plays.

My mains are Banjo and Cloud, and I didn't choose them because the gameplay clicked with me. I chose them because I like those characters, and I managed to get a hang of how they play. Before I even knew how they played, I knew how they looked. The same is true of countless supporters who are drawn to characters they enjoy on at least a partially aesthetic basis, that doesn't just evaporate once the character gets included. Look at Geno. A huge contingent of his fanbase was drawn to him based on him looking "cool". And I bet you many of those people would main Geno regardless of his playstyle.

Which, btw, is something that applies to Steve right now. We don't know exactly how he's going to function yet. We can't judge him based on gameplay. We can judge him on how the gameplay looks, but that would contradict your beliefs somewhat.

At the end of the day, you can't dictate what is most important. You can express what you feel to be of greatest importance to you, that's cool, go for it, but you have to respect that people aren't a monolith whereby the same properties are of the same importance unilaterally.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
There's no rulebook, "x matters most, then y, then z". What matters most varies from person to person. A character is a collection of many qualities, and the beauty of it is no two people have to have the same hierarchy of value.

People can judge a character however they want, it's their opinion. You might disagree with the conclusion they reach, I often do, but you know as well as I do that many times people gravitate towards characters for reasons apart from gameplay, and then adapt to how the character plays.

My mains are Banjo and Cloud, and I didn't choose them because the gameplay clicked with me. I chose them because I like those characters, and I managed to get a hang of how they play. Before I even knew how they played, I knew how they looked. The same is true of countless supporters who are drawn to characters they enjoy on at least a partially aesthetic basis, that doesn't just evaporate once the character gets included. Look at Geno. A huge contingent of his fanbase was drawn to him based on him looking "cool". And I bet you many of those people would main Geno regardless of his playstyle.

Which, btw, is something that applies to Steve right now. We don't know exactly how he's going to function yet. We can't judge him based on gameplay. We can judge him on how the gameplay looks, but that would contradict your beliefs somewhat.

At the end of the day, you can't dictate what is most important. You can express what you feel to be of greatest importance to you, that's cool, go for it, but you have to respect that people aren't a monolith whereby the same properties are of the same importance unilaterally.
Ugggh, did you really think I was trying to downplay others' opinions, or say they were wrong? That was not the basis of what I was even trying to do. Why are you even saying this? You have wrong in terms of what my intentions wrong.

Besides, while we have not played as him, so far, he looks fun to play, based on what we, or I have seen.

Please, don't say I cannot dictate others' opinions when I know that and was not trying to do that. Not trying to be rude, but I wasn't. And to be honest, I am more of a Sonic fan, and he is already in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ugggh, did you really think I was trying to downplay others' opinions, or say they were wrong? That was not the basis of what I was even trying to do. Why are you even saying this? You have wrong in terms of what my intentions wrong.

Besides, while we have not played as him, so far, he looks fun to play, based on what we, or I have seen.

Please, don't say I cannot dictate others' opinions when I know that and was not trying to do that. Not trying to be rude, but I wasn't. And to be honest, I am more of a Sonic fan, and he is already in.
Well, in both your previous posts you said gameplay matters most regarding a character. And I dispute that. I think it's variable, based on the person.

Gameplay matters the most to some, other qualities matter the most to others. It's not a question of right or wrong.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Space Invaders feels like one of those games where in hindsight I'm surprised didn't end up as an Assist Trophy. You activate it and the other fighters have to avoid the laser cannon shots coming from below and not getting collision damage from the aliens above.
Yeah, Thank Square Enix lol.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, in both your previous posts you said gameplay matters most regarding a character. And I dispute that. I think it's variable, based on the person.

Gameplay matters the most to some, other qualities matter the most to others. It's not a question of right or wrong.
While I agree what you mean on the second part, my friend, I can tell you I meant character in a different way. I may have not made it clear at first, but I meant the contents of the book character, not as in the personality, but how fun they are, or in this case, how fun they look to play. It's another story here.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Oh really? I never thought there was such thing as the Holy Melee Manuscripts. :troll: (You can probably tell I am just messing with you there)
Yup. I took that term from one video that discusses Melee's exploits / oddities (specifically the Super Duper Wavedash, yeah, that exists and is 100 % useless because in order to perform it one has to do 6 frame perfect inputs. Like, why. At least the mad scientists that discovered the Koopabackdashwaveslide hoverwalkmoonland have found some use of it).

I don’t think Melee was really even that ugly. Any graphical oddities are because it was rushed.
There are some elements that don't really hold up (primarily looking at stage elements like Pokemon Stadium 1's tree), but as you said, Melee was rushed. But there are some others that do hold up (the intro looks great when upscaled, several character models look at least decent, but that might be just me who grew up with the game).

Gonna be interesting to see where Steve falls into in All-Star Smash.
Apparently his release is counted as November 18, 2011 (1.0), so he spawns between Shulk and Dark Pit if SSBWiki's correct.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yup. I took that term from one video that discusses Melee's exploits / oddities (specifically the Super Duper Wavedash, yeah, that exists and is 100 % useless because in order to perform it one has to do 6 frame perfect inputs. Like, why. At least the mad scientists that discovered the Koopabackdashwaveslide hoverwalkmoonland have found some use of it).
Damn, Melee must really be that much of a favorite of fans, despite how it looks, of course.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yeah. Chief would bring Krystal's Sniper Rifle from Smash Flash into a Smash Game with an Actual Controls and I want that.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I just checked. Going by the day they were added into the game...

Steve, Zombie (2009)
Enderfriend (2011)
Alex(2014)

If we're going with 1.0's release, then all but Alex are 2011. I think this also means that Alex is our first playable representation of DLC.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Imo if Chief survives tomorrows costume wave something could be up with him.
I guess it depends on whether Steve's Mii wave is Xbox related or not. It could just be some Minecraft costumes and random outliers, like Min Min having ARMS and Fallout. It'd only be unusual if there were other Xbox series present, and Halo wasn't there imo

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think we are getting at least 1 more 1st party character and I'd say a Zelda and XC character are around at the top in terms of of likelihood. I will say that I think people over rate Rex and Pyra's chances but also under rate Lora and Jin. I think Rex is still possible of course, but I think a lot of the things in his favor also apply to the other.

As for Lora and Jin, I think its still strange that we don't have any spirit events for Torna. Yes, spirit events don't typically happen for DLC; but Torna is in a unique position in that it also had a standalone release by itself. There are no Torna tracks in Smash, too. Octopath Traveler also showcases that they have no problem adding spirits far down the line.

I may be biased because I think Lora and Jin transition to the gameplay of Smash a lot better than Rex and Pyra too. They'd have to go the extra mile in implementing a unique moveset for both of them, sure; but ARMS and Steve both showcase that they are willing to go the extra mile. Whereas, Rex and Pyra would mostly have Pyra in the background; maybe with a Mythra install. I think it would be more interesting between swapping between Lora and Jin, on top of all the standard stuff in XC 2.
While I'd love to see Lora & Jin (I'd be cool with Rex & Pyra but I like Lora & Jin a lot more) I don't think they're likely... Not impossible, but I don't know. I don't think Rex would be impossible to add, yes, he would probably be more difficult to add because how XC2 gameplay works, while Lora & Jin, while not easy, would probably be more easy to implement to Smash. But if they're already open to go the extra mile I don't see why they would skip Rex. Also, a lot of people would feel "offended" because Rex is the one who has fan requests, while I have barely saw people support Lora and Jin, unfortunately.

I wouldn't complain at all, tho. I think Lora and Jin are lowkey the best Xenoblade rep we could get lol, and I would talk more about them if they weren't stuck in Xenoblade 2 shadow.
I loved Torna, and honestly I'm 'sad' that we don't have any Torna content in the game. No spirits (not even Jin and Malos, which are key characters in XC2), no music... I wouldn't mind a spirit event for Torna, to be honest, but I doubt they're going to do one at this point.

I mean, who wouldn't want to have this banger in Smash??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom