• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No.

He can't.

There is no Swordfighter.

Only Gunner.

Honestly, I think most clones are very different from their original fighter. Of non clones, the only characters that I find to be incredibly similar are Corrin and Marth due to the former's nerfs making Dragon Lunge pretty garbo. Even so, he does have enough to at least stand out what with his dragon finger Forward Smash, dragon toe Down Smash, and arm mouth projectile.

Ugh. Corrin has so much body horror when you stop to think about it.
I see.

Also, I forgot that traditional characters can have creative aspects to them. Anyway, I can't see how Corrin is so similar to Marth, but maybe it is because I have not played as Corrin as much.

How would you describe Corrin's body horror, anyway?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Can't say I disagree with where you put him. He is a heavyweight, and all that comes with it. So I understand.
Wonder when we'll get a grappler with an actually good design. And no, I don't consider "lol you thought you could touch my shield" to be a good design.

Also, I forgot that traditional characters can have creative aspects to them. Anyway, I can't see how Corrin is so similar to Marth, but maybe it is because I have not played as Corrin as much.
They carry themselves and wield the sword in much the same way. They're also very solidly in the swordfighter archetype, and a lot of what makes Corrin unique is either bad, or doesn't really change up his gameplan too much.

How would you describe Corrin's body horror, anyway?
HIS ENTIRE ARM TURNS INTO A FINGER!!! HOW DOES THAT NOT GIVE YOU THE HEEBIE JEEBIES?!?

blackghost

Smash Champion
im not too fond of the pick but whatever. i really just dont like how he looks, moves, and animates. I find game and watch charming. but he is also much smother than minecraft. if we were gonna get a character that looks and moves so different from the rest i would have prefered hollowknight.

im also very certain steive is gonna play campy/runaway. and we all know how the community responds to that after the honeymoon period ends.

i do think that we will get a master chief costume just seems like a good fit for mii clothing.
at this point third parties are only getting in with huge legacies and historical impact. leaves characters like lara, dante, monster hunter phoenix wright, tekken, ryu, and crash.
some characters id argue are out because the Japanese company will pick games its home audience likes. which mostly just removes most FPS character and mortal kombat entirely.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wonder when we'll get a grappler with an actually good design. And no, I don't consider "lol you thought you could touch my shield" to be a good design.

They carry themselves and wield the sword in much the same way. They're also very solidly in the swordfighter archetype, and a lot of what makes Corrin unique is either bad, or doesn't really change up his gameplan too much.

HIS ENTIRE ARM TURNS INTO A FINGER!!! HOW DOES THAT NOT GIVE YOU THE HEEBIE JEEBIES?!?
For the second part, I understand now.

For the third part, it never gave me the Heebie Jeebies. I don't know why though, so please don't ask.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Quote. Mii Gunner. Premium costume with Cave Story's main theme.

That is all I ask for tomorrow. Please.
I can do you one better:

Quote. Playable. Also comes with a stage with a plethora of Cave Story tracks.

Of all of the indies, I think Quote deserves to be the first one the most. Even though most people are going to hate how he plays.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I can do you one better:

Quote. Playable. Also comes with a stage with a plethora of Cave Story tracks.

Of all of the indies, I think Quote deserves to be the first one the most. Even though most people are going to hate how he plays.
Oh, how I wish this could happen. But unfortunately, I just don't see him happening under Nicalis. Shame.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For the third part, it never gave me the Heebie Jeebies. I don't know why though, so please don't ask.
Why? :troll:

if we were gonna get a character that looks and moves so different from the rest i would have prefered hollowknight.
Isn't Hollow Knight's animation super smooth? I don't see how that'd be different.

Oh, how I wish this could happen. But unfortunately, I just don't see him happening under Nicalis. Shame.
If Nicalis is an issue for playable, it'll probably be an issue for Mii Costume. I'm not sure it would be though considering the situation surrounding Cloud and Hero, who were able to get in.

Droodle

Smash Lord
I saw SourceGaming's video on what they expect for the future of DLC, and for the most part I agree. I think there will at least be 1 more 1st party (I lean towards 2 more), and 2-3 more third parties. However, I disagreed with their thought that the next character is probably a big fan request "because we haven't gotten one yet, so Geno, Rayman, Dante, Crash etc should be next". I've also seen a similar thought on other places as well.

STEVE IS THE BIG FAN REQUEST. I feel like the long lasting narrative of "Steve is a meme pick", has pretty much overwritten most people's thoughts on Steve actually being a decently popular pick since the Smash 4 days. Obviously he wasn't dominating polls like Banjo, but especially in the West Steve always placed high in most polls (Ultimate-era) pre-Banjo getting in at E3. He is a fan request who happens to hail from the best selling game of all time, but that doesn't change the point that Steve has been a big request for many.

I don't think that there is anything backing up the idea that the next character has to be a big request. We literally just got one. Obviously, we could end up getting someone like Geno, Dante, Crash next anyways; but there are no trends or patterns that specifically point to them. I personally think the next character will end up being a 1st part or a lesser known 3rd party, but that's just me.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
@psb123 said this in the status updates, but I felt it was worth sharing here:

I don’t know why this didn’t immediately click with me, but Steve is our first playable Indie Character.

So that gets that frontier in on the action. Not that representation is all that important anyway but let’s play devils advocate for a bit. We have “regular” game characters playable, and we now have an indie game character playable. Only frontier that’s really left is a mobile game character.

And you know, Dragalia Lost recently had its 2nd anniversary. If there was a time for a Spirit Event based on that game it would have made a lot of sense for it to be around then.

But there wasn’t one. This is only a theory, but maybe that’s because they’re reserving it for Euden’s DLC board?

Dragalia Lost is a Nintendo owned property so it’s food for thought.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've seen some statements that because all the stages were reworked, if we are going to get another character who needs every stage to be updated, this pass would be the time.

I cannot say if that's true or not, but if it happens to be... I no longer think my idea would take too much work. You start as Eevee, and he is able to evolve once per life, for final, into one of his 8 evolved forms.
  • STAT CHANGES: Think of this like Shulk's Monado arts, except it's a permanent transformation, until you die. All of them have stronger special attacks (because they are currently all Special Attack stat bearers- we could get stronger Smash attacks if we get a new Eeveelution that has stronger Physical attacks). Jolteon would also be much faster than the other Eeveelutions. Umbreon and Sylveon would both have the best special defense/Defense against others' specials. Leafeon would have the highest Defense/Defense against others' smash moves. Etc.
  • ATTACK CHANGES: Whereas Eevee might have a Sand Attack, the Eeveeltions would instead have firespin(Flareon), or Pin Missle (Jolteon). A take down from Eevee could turn into an Ice Fang (Glaceon) or Draining Kiss (Sylveon). These may come with their own changes. The aforementioned firespin would rotate around the opponents, trapping them there for a few seconds.
  • EVOLUTION: How do you evolve Eevee? Well, perhaps it would be hitting both L and R- but it could be something else. More importantly, NOT EVERY Eeveelution would be available at all times. For example, certain stages might dictate which ones are available, such as Vaporeon being definitely enabled on any water stage. There could be a mechanic related to time to indicate which Eeveelution you turned into. Ultimately, it would have to be a bit generic (because it would be unfair for pro matches for time of day in real life to determine evolution, as an example). However, the needed requirements would be based on the actual ideas of the franchise- time, location, friendship, happiness, tools available. There would be some sort of meter/avatar shown for Eevee to indicate based on where on the stage(location)/time into match (time) / opponent? (tools/stones) / what mode youre in (friendship) / damage given? (happiness). It would show you which Eeveelution you'd become if you decided to evolve right at that moment.
  • OPTIONAL IDEA--- Special Trait: Each Evolution would have an ability. Just to throw out some ideas- Vaporeon would never drown, and would even turn invisible when in water (like how the anime did acid armor, combined with an ability of Swift Swim). Umbreon and Espeon would both be slightly stronger in a team environment (they both evolve from friendship), but they'd have additional abilities. Sylveon, as an example, would reflect "status" with it's magic bounce- so Jigglypuff would put itself to sleep instead of Espeon, Ivysaur's Poison Powder would damage it, and Robin's dark...thing, well, it would just not work. The Eeveelutions could also utilize a type advantage, with Vaporeon having resistance to water attacks (like its ability water absorb). This adds more complexity for competitive play, and more fun for players.

This covers a fan favorite, many new types, and many generations, with the ability to update as new Eeveelutions come out. It also represents one of the most important parts of Pokemon, Evolving. It also covers new aspects of the series such as the day/night cycle, abilities, strategy of who to choose, and the stats. It also brings back type advantage in a way that is actually fun and strategic.

If you like this, ask me about my Team Rocket concept- it would add more of the missing Pokemon elements, particularly the capturing mechanic.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I've had a few days to sort of digest this whole Steve in Smash thing and I've found I'm still in the same spot I was from the start.

I thought for sure that the trailer was a meme or just a fake out. Now, I don't think Steve is a BAD choice. and, what I'm about to say sounds superficial and there's no way I can get around it but...the character looks awful from a visual standpoint.

Now I know people will be like "But, Wiggler, of course he looks awful! He's from Minecraft! It's very authentic to his source material!"

I agree! But that isn't a good thing in this instance. We've seen more high res versions of the Minecraft people from the Telltale series and so on. So why didn't Steve get the facelift? He'd still be 'charming' in his movements being quite action figure like in nature. But to have his model look completely copy/pasted from Minecraft java version? It is completely jarring and looks...cheap, it looked FAKE. I only believed it was happening because it was a Nintendo official trailer.

And it feels weird and even feels bad to be so 'petty' about this yet even someone like Game & Watch was made to look fitting in Smash...and he's FLAT! I really wish the copy/past, low rez models were the alts but a more higher fidelity 'Nintedo reimagined' Steve/Alex was the 'main' model for the characters so they don't look so photoshopped when along side the rest of the cast.

If anything it's super distracting and lacks the proper charm it SHOULD have. It's all for naught, my issues, because he'll end up on my system because I'm not going to have an incomplete roster for my favorite game. However, I'll likely not use him much outside of his first week of release like I did Joker, Banjo and (Regrettably) Min-Min.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean, they started out as an Indie character and Nintendo characters respectively, but they are not anymore. I see what N3ON N3ON N3ON N3ON means here.
I know what she meant. My extra comment was about the fact that they were both bought by Microsoft, so her analogy is actually quite literal.
EDIT: OK, now pictures and tags are duplicating when you quote them? What is going on here?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think it’s important to note that the video a few days ago was again filmed at Sakurai’s house and so will the Sakurai Presents. Many companies in Japan extended the “stay at home orders” for thier companies will past the opening of schools, government buildings, and such on June 1st. Places like Disney World, amusement parks, theaters, and more started opening up a week or two later with everything opened up by summer vacation in August. I surmise that these videos were probably recorded in June or possibly July. A lot of companies are choosing to stay home not because they have to but to set an image for the public - especially companies like the richest company in Japan currently.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
We rating SSBU newcomers now? Aight, bet.

RANKING ULTIMATE NEWCOMERS (based off of movie theater etiquette)

- Stays completely silent (S Tier, polite and quiet! TOO QUIET...):
:ultbylethf::ultisabelle: :ultsteve:
:ulthero::ultminmin:ult_terry::ultchrom:

- Cries very, VERY VERY loudly at all the sad parts (A- tier; Luigi, bring her some tissues):
:ultdaisy:

- Actually yeets holy water at the screen whenever the horror movie monster appears (B+ tier, SIMON IT'S JUST CGI):
:ultsimon::ultrichter:

- Constantly checks their phone at full brightness throughout the movie (C+ tier, Joker you can text Ryuji LATER):
:ultjoker:

- Quiet, but leaves their TRASH EVERYWHERE when exiting the theater (C tier, theater seats look like they exploded in leftover popcorn and candy wrappers):
:ultinkling::ultincineroar: :ultpiranha:

- Talks throughout the entire dang movie (C- tier, NO ONE ASKED FOR YOUR COMMENTARY KAZOOIE):
:ultbanjokazooie::ultken:

- Will spoil the movie for everyone in the theater (D- tier, K. Rool intricately describes the Avengers Endgame finale in crocodile noises)
:ultridley: :ultkrool::ultdarksamus:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Videogame originated character: CHECK!
Videogame appeared on a Nintendo console: CHECK!
Very popular: CHECK!
Iconic videogame character: uncheck

Guys! I'm not sure if you are aware of that but there is one character we have always ignored despite the fact we all know her.
Follow me:
Now that Smash is officially open to western characters I'm expecting more and more of them.
Like when Sonic and Snake got in and a lot of not Nintendo characters followed.
So I went to search what was the first western videogame character and, oh boy, that was a pretty shocking reveal.
She is super popular but few people would remember she was originally a videogame character because she was popularized more by her animated series.
She got memes with that other similar guy and she got even a reference in Sly Cooper (in one case Carmelita Fox is dressed exactly like her).
youknowher.png

Her first game is dated 1985.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I understand, of course. On both counts. I personally want a fun character. You're not me, of course, so there is that.
I also want a fun character. But a character that is too complicated and fiddly for me to even play is not fun for me.

Ideally, every character would be both someone I wanted, and someone that ends up being fun to play. As, there's no reason character I want has to have an annoying moveset, and there's no reason that a fun to use moveset has to be assigned to a character I don't like.

But of those two, being a character I like is more important to me. As, I already have plenty of characters I enjoy playing as. If the character I want ends up not being fun, I can always go back to playing the other ones.

So a new game. From best to worst. How would you guys rate and list every newcomer as of current?
1. :ultsimon::ultrichter:
2. :ulthero:
3. :ult_terry:

...the rest...

13. :ultbyleth:
14. :ultpiranha:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I also want a fun character. But a character that is too complicated and fiddly for me to even play is not fun for me.

Ideally, every character would be both someone I wanted, and someone that ends up being fun to play. As, there's no reason character I want has to have an annoying moveset, and there's no reason that a fun to use moveset has to be assigned to a character I don't like.

But of those two, being a character I like is more important to me. As, I already have plenty of characters I enjoy playing as. If the character I want ends up not being fun, I can always go back to playing the other ones.
I see. Well, I don't think Steve looks complicated. Well, that is subject to change, as we have not seen in detail how he plays and such. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. To be honest, though, even I hope he isn't complicated.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've had a few days to sort of digest this whole Steve in Smash thing and I've found I'm still in the same spot I was from the start.

I thought for sure that the trailer was a meme or just a fake out. Now, I don't think Steve is a BAD choice. and, what I'm about to say sounds superficial and there's no way I can get around it but...the character looks awful from a visual standpoint.

Now I know people will be like "But, Wiggler, of course he looks awful! He's from Minecraft! It's very authentic to his source material!"

I agree! But that isn't a good thing in this instance. We've seen more high res versions of the Minecraft people from the Telltale series and so on. So why didn't Steve get the facelift? He'd still be 'charming' in his movements being quite action figure like in nature. But to have his model look completely copy/pasted from Minecraft java version? It is completely jarring and looks...cheap, it looked FAKE. I only believed it was happening because it was a Nintendo official trailer.

And it feels weird and even feels bad to be so 'petty' about this yet even someone like Game & Watch was made to look fitting in Smash...and he's FLAT! I really wish the copy/past, low rez models were the alts but a more higher fidelity 'Nintedo reimagined' Steve/Alex was the 'main' model for the characters so they don't look so photoshopped when along side the rest of the cast.

If anything it's super distracting and lacks the proper charm it SHOULD have. It's all for naught, my issues, because he'll end up on my system because I'm not going to have an incomplete roster for my favorite game. However, I'll likely not use him much outside of his first week of release like I did Joker, Banjo and (Regrettably) Min-Min.
I've seen people praising the choice to make Steve look as if he's just been directly imported from Minecraft, and I don't doubt their sincerity, but I've known this fanbase for a long time, and I have every confidence that had they brought him slightly more in line with Smash's aesthetic, as usual, that decision would be praised just as readily.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Videogame originated character: CHECK!
Videogame appeared on a Nintendo console: CHECK!
Very popular: CHECK!
Iconic videogame character: uncheck

Guys! I'm not sure if you are aware of that but there is one character we have always ignored despite the fact we all know her.
Follow me:
Now that Smash is officially open to western characters I'm expecting more and more of them.
Like when Sonic and Snake got in and a lot of not Nintendo characters followed.
So I went to search what was the first western videogame character and, oh boy, that was a pretty shocking reveal.
She is super popular but few people would remember she was originally a videogame character because she was popularized more by her animated series.
She got memes with that other similar guy and she got even a reference in Sly Cooper (in one case Carmelita Fox is dressed exactly like her).
View attachment 288020
Her first game is dated 1985.
Is it bad that I thought that this was a picture of Pauline?

I see. Well, I don't think Steve looks complicated. Well, that is subject to change, as we have not seen in detail how he plays and such. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. To be honest, though, even I hope he isn't complicated.
I wouldn't hold my breath. He's got a trap in his TNT, the ability to upgrade his normals, and a potential resource gathering mechanic at the very least. He's going to be at least somewhat complicated.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is it bad that I thought that this was a picture of Pauline?

I wouldn't hold my breath. He's got a trap in his TNT, the ability to upgrade his normals, and a potential resource gathering mechanic at the very least. He's going to be at least somewhat complicated.
Well, if Sakurai could put him in this game, there must be simplicity. Just saying. Not saying this won't be complicated at all, but even if he is complicated, at least Sakurai might have tried, right? That won't make Steve any better, of course, but still...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, if Sakurai could put him in this game, there must be simplicity. Just saying. Not saying this won't be complicated at all, but even if he is complicated, at least Sakurai might have tried, right? That won't make Steve any better, of course, but still...
You can only compare Smash characters to each other, and from what we've seen, Steve does look like he resides on the more complex end.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
No idea. Maybe he'll be someone I like playing as. Still won't make me care about the character or like looking at him though.
Not to be ton the pessimistic, but seeing that you don't like him so far, try not to get your hopes up too high if you even want to. You may end up liking him less than you thought you would. You probably won't like him in the end, still, but that will be fine, not every character has to be liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom