• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What are you talking about, specifically? We already know overtly-suggestive characters like Mai are off the table, but someone like Mythra or 2B could reasonably be edited to fit Smash.
Basically, one of the rating boards didn't mark the second pass as having "suggestive themes" like they did with the first.

It was probably only applied to Min Min, but if it turns out to be something that was applied to the whole pass, then that basically means no questionable content. This would include Spirits and background characters as well.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
If Master Chief is truly deconfirmed, for what reasons was Steve chosen over Chief? It occurred to me that we don't have an actual Microsoft rep, just characters who were acquired by Microsoft at some point in time.
I think Japan mindshare plays a big part here. Minecraft is absolutely MASSIVE in Japan just like the rest of the world. Halo... not so much.

Really, I don't think any DLC character will have little presence in Japan. Stuff like Doomguy, a Mortal Kombat character, etc. People are expected to pay for these characters and we already know where Nintendo/Sakurai's biases lie.

D

Deleted member

I already posted this in the social thread, but think about it:

Steve's announcement got #1 trending on YouTube, broke Twitter, and broke SmashBoards.

This announcement is the largest announcement for Ultimate. Now FP2 is going to have an enormous push.
It's already surpassed it.
IT ALREADY HAS???

Do you have evidence? Either way, Steve's reveal is huge. I am so happy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hey I'm just remembered something

I know it's not likely at this point but

Microsoft owns doom now so couldn’t that suposive cacodemon mil costume could be showed off on Saturday? (if real of coarse)
The merge isn't even finalized and won't be for another 2 to 6 months whereas all this content was actively developed for months, LONG before MS planning on buying Bethesda was public knowledge. If we get Bethesda stuff here, it wasn't because of Microsoft

D

Deleted member

If you told me an hour before the presentation that Steve is going to be CP7, I would deny it.

I felt like Steve was very unlikely, but I am so happy I was wrong, and Steve is now CP7.

Today has been a blessing.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The fact that Sakurai brought up that the programmers had to reprogram all of Smash's stages to accommodate Steve; I have to wonder how difficult it was to make the character despite the simple appearance and animations. Hope they didn't crunch on the character.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The fact that Sakurai brought up that the programmers had to reprogram all of Smash's stages to accommodate Steve; I have to wonder how difficult it was to make the character despite the simple appearance and animations. Hope they didn't crunch on the character.
Judging by Sakurai's facial expression, words, and the rumors of trying to get Minecraft since 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve was the hardest character to make for any Smash game period because of his building mechanic due to all of the changes they had to make to the code, engine and stages to make it work.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Judging by Sakurai's facial expression, words, and the rumors of trying to get Minecraft since 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve was the hardest character to make for any Smash game period because of his building mechanic due to all of the changes they had to make to the code, engine and stages to make it work.
That's probably why it took 5 years to get him in, and why he wasn't in base roster

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet
Really curious which mii costumes we'll get with steve and will any be big deconfirmations for characters. (in before a master chief deluxe mii costume)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm assuming this is basically the history of Steve being in Smash:

2017: Nintendo begins talking with Microsoft about Minecraft. Sakurai believes he doesn't have time to program Steve the way he thinks Steve should be depicted as a fighter on top of all the veterans and an already small number of unique newcomers, so they put it off for later.
2018: In the meantime, they talk with MS at E3 2018 about Banjo & Kazooie, believing them to be an easier character to program while also satisfying Nintendo fans, and ensures Microsoft remains on board with Smash.
2019: Banjo gets in, and there is a suspicious lack of Microsoft costumes in their Mii costume wave. He and Hero make the first pass sell enough to warrant greenlighting a second pass, Nintendo takes this opportunity to talk with Sakurai once again about Steve, and once the division that worked on Terry was done with him, they got to work on reprogramming the stages for Steve's blocks. Obviously for such a character with limited animation, this is the hardest part, as opposed to Min Min with her ARMS gimmicks.
2020: Steve gets announced for Smash as the second fighter in FP2.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
That's probably why it took 5 years to get him in, and why he wasn't in base roster
Right after that I wrote that comment, I went on to Reddit and saw that negations went as far back as 2015. That was during Smash 4's era and the same year Ultimate likely got the greenlight judging by Sakurai's words about his promise to Iwata and completed the project plan in December of 2015 and the Smash Ballot which began in April.

Speaking of which, knowing that there possible talks back in 2015 makes wonder if Steve did better then Bayonetta, but something happen like the asking price was to high or hardware limitations especially with the 3DS made him impossible from a technology standpoint in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

I am going to say it, again.

Not only is this the first time I cried in a Smash announcement, but I think this is the first time I legit shook hard in a Smash announcement.

It still feels so unreal. My most wanted ACTUALLY got in.

Are you sure this is reality? Are we all having a collective dream?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Not only is this the first time I cried in a Smash announcement, but I think this is the first time I legit shook hard in a Smash announcement.

If this is a dream, I don’t want to wake up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Right after that I wrote that comment, I went on to Reddit and saw that negations went as far back as 2015. That was during Smash 4's era and the same year Ultimate likely got the greenlight judging by Sakurai's words about his promise to Iwata and completed the project plan in December of 2015 and the Smash Ballot which began in April.

Speaking of which, knowing that there possible talks back in 2015 makes wonder if Steve did better then Bayonetta, but something happen like the asking price was to high or hardware limitations especially with the 3DS made him impossible from a technology standpoint in Smash 4.
I'd sooner suspect hardware limitations, also, 2015 was also when Ultimate's project plan started, which gives even more ****ing evidence that this was planned day 1. Wild how some absolute chuds clinged on to Minecraft content being the one thing Vergeben mentioned being fake as proof he was a fraud the entire time only for ****ing Mojang themselves ****ing confirm it

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
View attachment 287890
Youre quoting an article that cannot correctly spell out the number 'four...' after choosing to type it out rather than use the number.
Okay. And Ridley cannot get in becuz he iz 2 big

zumaddy

Smash Ace

Congrats dude, your enthusiasm is heartwarming haha.

D

Deleted member

What I really love about Steve's final smash is that is so random.

:ultjoker:, :ulthero:, and :ultminmin get the gang of iconic characters in their series together to beat you up with iconic moves.

:ult_terry: and :ultbylethf: use iconic moves from their games.

:ultbanjokazooie: 's final smash involves the Jinjos, which is quite important to their game.

:ultpiranha:'s final smash even references Petey Piranha, which was a boss in the iconic Subspace Emissary.

Steve though... He just shoves you in a warehouse full of TNT while Creepers explode and he eats steak. It is so random, and it perfectly represents Minecraft. Minecraft is a completely random game. You have a lot of choice in Minecraft. This is probably my favorite final smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Idk, as promotional picks go, Min Min was a pretty strange one. Of course, with that in mind they could suddenly ask Sakurai to help them 'promote' another series we aren't expecting.
And we all know which Nintendo serie actually has rumors of a remake. Isaac can't come soon enough!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Speaking of Final Smashes, the description of the fake leak Tracer having Pulse Bomb as her Final Smash was what made me believe it was fake. Pulse bomb is one of the most lowkey ults in the game in terms of style/presentation/length and the description of everyone helping her to use it made zero sense when she can just chuck it one handed completely fine.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Also, Napoleon has his own GBA game (only officially released in Japan and France, of course), and that game's protagonist is a Spirit in Ultimate.
I promise, I'm a real human, not some ghostly spirit!

ZelDan

Smash Master
Speaking of Final Smashes, the description of the fake leak Tracer having Pulse Bomb as her Final Smash was what made me believe it was fake. Pulse bomb is one of the most lowkey ults in the game in terms of style/presentation/length and the description of everyone helping her to use it made zero sense when she can just chuck it one handed completely fine.
yeah, if Tracer ever got into Smash the pulse bomb would probably just be a special.

Her final Smash I could easily see being another team attack similar to Min Min's, Megaman's, or Shulks where the characters who were members of Overwatch before it was disbanded join her in beating up whoever gets caught in the FS. It would be a cool reference to OW lore and also reference how Overwatch is supposed to be a cooperative team-based multiplayer game ("supposed to be" being the key words there...)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Youre quoting an article that cannot correctly spell out the number 'four...' after choosing to type it out rather than use the number.
Okay. And Ridley cannot get in becuz he iz 2 big
That's...how the game's titles spell it.

Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

Smash For is an acceptable way to abbreviate both versions of the game.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's...how the game's titles spell it.

Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

Smash For is an acceptable way to abbreviate both versions of the game.
And besides that, it's a quite nitpicky complaint to begin with and doesn't really address the content of the actual article...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And besides that, it's a quite nitpicky complaint to begin with and doesn't really address the content of the actual article...
Honestly, I dont even know what nonsense we are talking about. That Corrin is a justifiable pick? I dont understand how that is proven true by saying he was a marketing ploy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Tbf it's obnoxious as hell and sounds like someone made a typo for Smash Four and tried to make a big brain excuse as to how they're totally correct when everyone else calls both games Smash 4 anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom