• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It looks photoshop but its actually real. Here's the updated banner.
I think the issue here is that the details in Steve's face and clothing, while fine in-game, don't really blend with the painted artstyle, so he sticks out super hard here.

Somewhat like [IMG alt="cashregister9"]https://smashboards.com/data/avatars/s/463/463532.jpg?1601523319[/IMG] cashregister9 said, I’d accuse them of photoshopping pictures onto a generic Minecraft map.
Something about Mario's pose and the camera angle isn't quite right here.
EDIT: It's definitely the first screenshot where I'd agree that this doesn't look all that great.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think the issue here is that the details in Steve's face and clothing, while fine in-game, don't really blend with the painted artstyle, so he sticks out super hard here.
To me, this is fine. But everyone has their own tastes. I enjoy the discussion we're having about this, but I hope nobody expects to change someone's mind about how they view the artwork because, that's practically impossible.

But the fact that we have such a diverse set of thoughts in this thread makes me glad we're not living in an echo chamber.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Do you think Steve will boost FP2 to the levels of success that FP1 reached with Joker and Hero?
Absolutely. He already broke Twitter. It’ll be interesting to see if they can anyone similar to Steve in terms of how big he is. You can’t get bigger than him but you can get someone close!

Take it as you will. For those who still wants Master Chief in the game.
It’s interesting. That’s not an outright “No” but at the same time, how much would the French Twitter intern know? If he’s not in the game & not a Mii costume, hopefully Phil Spencer or someone from 343 will say so shortly.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I don't know if FP8 is a Mario character but 100% sure that FP8 won't release this year. Will they announce the character this year? Very unlikely in my opinion, but not impossible if you ask me. But if that was the case I can only see the fighter being revealed at the Game Awards, and if that was the case I'd assume it's either third party or a popular character (or both). Maybe a Joker-esque announcement, 0 gameplay and no release date, just to hype the community.

Steve could release mid October, so I'm not seeing FP8 releasing until February at the earliest.
Yeah, I was giving the most charitable interpretation of what people were saying. I personally don't even think we're getting an announcement for FP8 this year. But SO many have latched onto this idea that FP7 and FP8 are two halves of the scrapped E3 announcement that they somehow think it means there won't be a huge wait between announcements.

Even assuming Min Min was supposed to be an April announcement and release while Steve and FP8 were E3, why would anyone think each individual character wouldn't have to be massively pushed back if it took this long for us to get the first 2 characters of the pass? Sure, characters are likely worked on concurrently to some extent, but I can't imagine things have normalized on the development side for them to have multiple characters ready to go and they're just holding them back for marketing reasons.

Like people still believe that pre-July 20 direct teasing with Imran and Jeff Grubb saying stuff about Geno is an indication of him actually coming and being the "Banjo" of the E3 presentation (as in the second one) while Steve was the Hero of it. There has to be a point where we acknowledge people are grasping at straws.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If Master Chief is truly deconfirmed, for what reasons was Steve chosen over Chief? It occurred to me that we don't have an actual Microsoft rep, just characters who were acquired by Microsoft at some point in time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey I'm just remembered something

I know it's not likely at this point but

Microsoft owns doom now so couldn’t that suposive cacodemon mil costume could be showed off on Saturday? (if real of coarse)

SonicMario

Smash Master
Hey I'm just remembered something

I know it's not likely at this point but

Microsoft owns doom now so couldn’t that suposive cacodemon mil costume could be showed off on Saturday? (if real of coarse)
Everything Smash DLC wise would of had to been decided (Including Mii costumes, at least I think) before Microsoft bought Bethesda. So doubtful.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Absolutely. He already broke Twitter. It’ll be interesting to see if they can anyone similar to Steve in terms of how big he is. You can’t get bigger than him but you can get someone close!

It’s interesting. That’s not an outright “No” but at the same time, how much would the French Twitter intern know? If he’s not in the game & not a Mii costume, hopefully Phil Spencer or someone from 343 will say so shortly.
Sora would definitely be close! I know I know, Disney yada yada yada. But he's been topping fan polls, and while I understand those aren't reflective of the whole of Smash players, they're a good indicator. If they want to break the Internet again, Sora would be the way to go. He's unlikely but never say never!

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
If Master Chief is truly deconfirmed, for what reasons was Steve chosen over Chief? It occurred to me that we don't have an actual Microsoft rep, just characters who were acquired by Microsoft at some point in time.
Assuming Nintendo isn't pursuing another Microsoft rep after Steve, there are two reasons I can think of:

From a sales standpoint, Halo may be Xbox's flagship franchise, but Minecraft is a far gargantuan beast compared to it. 65 million lifetime sales vs 200 million lifetime sales. Let that sink in.

There's also the recognition as well. Minecraft currently has absolutely huge international mainstream appeal. You don't crash Twitter for 20 minutes if you don't have that big of an appeal. Minecraft is also huge in Japan as well. Compare that to Halo, where it barely made a blip there.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Man, just look at that like ratio. I wonder what those in the vocal minority are doing right now?
I dunno 'bout y'all, but I might be fixing to become a Zombie main.
Perhaps it just once again proves that the loud minority doesn't even remotely represent the arguably reserved majority.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Minecraft is the biggest game of all-time, ‘nuff said really. I’m a huge Chief supporter but Steve makes a lot of sense to come first.

Assuming Nintendo isn't pursuing another Microsoft rep after Steve, there are two reasons I can think of:

From a sales standpoint, Halo may be Xbox's flagship franchise, but Minecraft is a far gargantuan beast compared to it. 65 million lifetime sales vs 200 million lifetime sales. Let that sink in.

There's also the recognition as well. Minecraft currently has absolutely huge international mainstream appeal. You don't crash Twitter for 20 minutes if you don't have that big of an appeal. Minecraft is also huge in Japan as well. Compare that to Halo, where it barely made a blip there.
Halo’s at 70 million actually. Not a whole lot more, but hey that’s an extra 5 mil lol

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Man, just look at that like ratio. I wonder what those in the vocal minority are doing right now?
I dunno 'bout y'all, but I might be fixing to become a Zombie main.
I think its pretty much both a old vs. new and casual vs. hardcore gaming generation at work.

From what I saw, people who grew up on an older gaming generation and/or were hardcore in gaming were mostly ambivalent to Steve's reveal compared to those who grew up on a younger gaming generation and/or were casual players.

Based on personal experience, my friends and acquaintances who grew up in the PS2/Gamecube era were more mixed on Steve compared to my friends who grew up on the current console generation.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think its pretty much both a old vs. new and casual vs. hardcore gaming generation at work.

From what I saw, people who grew up on an older gaming generation and/or were hardcore in gaming were mostly ambivalent to Steve's reveal compared to those who grew up on a younger gaming generation and/or were casual players.

Based on personal experience, my friends and acquaintances who grew up in the PS2/Gamecube era were more mixed on Steve compared to my friends who grew up on the current console generation.
It might be a single player vs multiplayer thing too. You can definitely find some fun in Minecraft by yourself, but the true magic in that game is playing with friends. I’ve had some of my favorite gaming memories ever spending countless hours on Minecraft with my buddies.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The trailer is number one on trending!!!!!
View attachment 287914
Regardless of feelings about Steve as a character, one can't help but acknowledge how big of a deal this is. Even if there's no personal attachment, I love when my favorite game series has these "Break the Targets! Internet" type moments. This is huge.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Regardless of feelings about Steve as a character, one can't help but acknowledge how big of a deal this is. Even if there's no personal attachment, I love when my favorite game series has these "Break the Targets! Internet" type moments. This is huge.
You must have been in hysterics when Twitter was down earlier today.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
It might be a single player vs multiplayer thing too. You can definitely find some fun in Minecraft by yourself, but the true magic in that game is playing with friends. I’ve had some of my favorite gaming memories ever spending countless hours on Minecraft with my buddies.
Your mileage may vary, but I personally found single-player Minecraft to be better than multiplayer. Though it might be because I grew up on single-player games. It all really depends what you like and you want from a title.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
The drawback of coming from the bestselling video game of all times means you're not only going to be one of the most beloved newcomers yet, but also one of the most polarizing yet.

Today's responses alone have clearly demonstrated that.
I feel that's just a vocal minority. The like:dislike ratio on YouTube is nowhere near polarised.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, I finally got to the end of the thread...

I'll give my thoughts on Steve.

Steve is a landmark character. Absolutely the biggest character with any shred of Nintendo prominence. This choice has appealed to millions upon millions of people and has made many kids in my class, very happy (well, the ones who know what Smash Bros is, most just know Minecraft). Nintendo shot for the stars and they succeeded. Objectively, I cannot stress how big of a move this is, and how well its going to pay off. Well done Nintendo, I can't imagine this was cheap, but I bet you're going to get your money's worth.

Personally, I don't have much of an attachment to Minecraft (haven't played it much, though this is a great excuse to go back and try it again), but Steve looks pretty cool. The moveset looks absolutely bonkers. I know some people don't like how out of place he looks, but I find that to be part of his charm. He's intentionally weird, but in a way that lets his own series shine. And frankly, Steve would look even weirder if he was "cleaned up" so to speak. It's like 3D Mr. Game & Watch. Unnatural. I imagine that many of the visual complaints will die down as people get used to him.

Overall, pretty great reveal. Not my favorite, but I still feel happy about it.

Also, that ****ing piano track was a ****ing banger! HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!!

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Am I the only one thinking about how the announcer is going to say "Steve"?

I hope so bad he'll say it like "Steve...?"

I want him to sound really confused, to call back to when everyone called him "Steve?". A part of me wishes the question mark was still in his name, lol.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I just realized that Steve is the second kid-friendly character, meaning that the "no suggestive content" theory is still alive.

I don't think it's true, but I'm gonna laugh if the next character/franchise is also tame and people start taking this seriously.
What are you talking about, specifically? We already know overtly-suggestive characters like Mai are off the table, but someone like Mythra or 2B could reasonably be edited to fit Smash.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I actually thought before it would be cool if Xander Mobus gave an inflexion that made it sound like he was reading Steve? with the ?.
I hope so bad he'll say it like "Steve...?"

I want him to sound really confused, to call back to when everyone called him "Steve?". A part of me wishes the question mark was still in his name, lol.
I'm glad we're on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom