• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It was not one of my wanted characters (I was neutral about him) but I'm happy about Steve, and Min Min, I like the direction of this second fighter pass so far: it seems they are prioritizing unique movesets this time. Steve has Isabelle's fishing rod, but everything else (or most at least) seems to be completely new and especially new gimmicks unique to this character. Crafting weapons, creating blocks, building minecart rails, and more. This is the type of character that I like.

Gameplay-wise, Steve is now my favorite newcomer; in the same personal favorite chart Piranha Plant and Min Min are second and third, and Inkling is fourth.

Still want Adeleine to be one of the next DLCs even if her chance are near 0 at this point, but Steve at least is another character who can manipulate the battlefield and transform it into his own little hell, and one who I'm sure I'd have a lot of fun playing as (before Steve, Villager was the closest thing).

Who said that Steve would have no personality was wrong, he's very unique and only comparable to Game & Watch in his style.... the stage is also beautiful despite the low-res (for design choice) textures of Minecraft.

Though, still not enough to convince me to buy this Smash, especially since 3 of the 4 characters that I like have to be purchased separately, only 2 of those I really like a lot (both DLC), and none of my most wanted are in yet... I'm gonna wait until the last newcomer before making a choice, in the meanwhile I'm enjoying the Mario collection and I'm planning to get Link's Awakening very soon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So actually, how are you guys feeling about Another Pokemon now? Also about another Mario Character?
I guess some people should be thinking that we'll not get a Mario character now, since apparently it was FP7 or nothing.

I didn't ascribe to that belief though. I think we can still get one at any point.

Same with Pokemon.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So actually, how are you guys feeling about Another Pokemon now? Also about another Mario Character?
Pokémon: Maybe. Pokémon's 25th Anniversary is next year, so there might be a character there for it. Who though? Cyntha & Garchomp? Gengar? Zoroark? Just Garchomp? Perhaps we could get a character from the Sinnoh region due to the anniversary and potential Sinnoh remakes, but...I dunno.

Super Mario: After thinking about it, I still think Super Mario is disconfirmed. If they were going to add a character, it was going to be for the Super Mario 35th Anniversary, and they didn't do that. Sure the anniversary is bleeding into next year, but I highly doubt that was the original intent, which would mean that a Super Mario character's timing wouldn't be with that in mind. King Boo, Geno, Waluigi, all of them are done in my opinion.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Been seeing a lot of people in the thread that shall not be named saying that we were originally going to get CP8 shown off at E3 alongside Steve, with CP8 being the 'big' reveal.... like... Steve isn't a BIG reveal?
Um, not to be rude, but, uh...How is Steve not the big reveal? Like, what's bigger than a franchise owned by one of the big 3 that's sold 200+ million copies and still selling strong with new sub-games and content updates coming out, lol.

I'm struggling to see where they're going with this one. To each their own, of course, but I honestly can think of few franchises that even come a quarter to Minecraft's size.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
0%
Yes I gave a 0% to a gen 8 there is no way those post launch spirits count as exceptions all cuz of the whole “muh billion dollar multimedia franchise” “muh 100+ Pokémon to spirit” “muh promoting dlc” sayings

my mind has been focused on a 2nd xenoblade rep as of now.

that being Rex to be exact

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yes I gave a 0% to a gen 8 there is no way those post launch spirits count as exceptions all cuz of the whole “muh billion dollar multimedia franchise” “muh 100+ Pokémon to spirit” “muh promoting dlc” sayings
It 100% could have been, but it's clear now that it is not. If we are getting a Pokémon, it's going to be from either Gen 4 or Gen 1, and that's a huge if.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
I finally decided to make what I want for the rest of fighter pass 2. Feel free to give ur opinions on it.View attachment 280164
Used an old post since their server couldn’t load the picture right now.

One down. Four more to go.
Also I love that enderman and zombie are skins.
Also Steve’s moveset looks great.
Also also yesterday I had told my friend i that I think it will be geno or Steve ( I thought Steve because of Minecraft live Saturday).
Also also also I want to say that I hope a villager and/or creeper mii costume would be nice
Also also also also I hope the Minecraft stage has the chance of being in the end or nether,
Crazy Dave for smash

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Folks with Disney connections from Resetera are saying that Nintendo approached Disney for Sora, but the price to acquire the licensing dwarfed the costs to even get Cloud.
....people are thinking resetERA matters? THAT'S why this is an issue?
Wow. Okay.
So a big blue muffin man in the Earth disconfirms Sora. Ridiculous to care.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I really feel like youre actively working to make it seem like Byleth was a good choice. I understand I'm bias, because I care about Smash as a whole (meaning, Steve is objectively a good pick, being from the top selling game of all time), but I cannot think of a worse character for the fifth character pass than Byleth. Literally. A Fire Emblem character was the worst case scenario to end the hype upon, or even include at all. Even those hoping for him understood this. While it exists for Steve, it's just... not comparable.
Honestly, wtf. I'm not doing anything. I was just stating a fact, and that fact is that Byleth had supporters, something I said because other user said "Steve at least had some supporters". I never said Byleth was a good or a bad choice. In fact, I said multiple times that I wouldn't have chosen Byleth if for some reason I was the one picking the characters, not because I considered him an awful choice, but just because he wasn't a character that interested me enough to actively want him in Smash (ironically, I enjoy his moveset a lot).

You can think Byleth was a terrible choice and that's okay, but that won't make disappear the people who wanted Byleth or a Three Houses character.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Honestly depending on if its sheer size was a major pull for Steve's inclusion (I must stress that while the size of Minecraft was definitely something that factored into his inclusion we don't know how large a role it played) then I think a Pokemon is pretty likely. Nowhere near confirmed but pretty likely since Pokemon big yada yada, new gens always get represented just as long as there is an opportunity for them to add one yada yada.

In terms of Mario characters, I'm still pretty confident we are getting some fan favourite character (Like BK etc) and the most popular one not in the game yet to me is Geno or Waluigi so im thinking a Mario rep is likely too. More confident in Geno tbh but we'll see

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'll never give a full-on 0%, but it feels like their ideal time has passed, especially for Mario. Seeing as the anniversary livestream covered everything from Game and Watches to tournaments, the only reason a Mario rep wouldn't be revealed there would be that they're too far away and would release around the end of the pass. My opinion of their chances will probably go up as we get closer to the end of FP2.
Pokemon is in the opposite situation. If they were chosen in advance for SwSh, they'd most likely be revealed a little later, if Byleth is any indication. Assuming Generation 9 isn't just around the corner, the major game to promote would become less relevant as time goes on, diminishing the chances of a promotional rep. Coupled with the Spirit Event, I'm not very confident on a Pokemon rep.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
SKX31 SKX31 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus if true, what if we get the LoL rep around the time of the Worlds grand finals...?
The collective Internet explodes.

It might not shut down Twitter, but I'd argue it would come really close.

Especially if it's another final between a Chinese team vs. an EU team (as happened in both 2018 and 2019, one could substitute the EU team for a NA team and get practically the same result). The Championship's groups look really wonky this year, so who knows, that could maybe happen.

I'm not counting on it obviously (Worlds Playoffs start October 15th, Grand Final on October 31st). But I won't rule that scenario out at all, since it's the tenth World Championship and Riot could certainly announce stuff there.
Pretty much this. It's way too early for that, considering we just got a character reveal in the same month. Not gonna discard the possibility, but it's there.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I really feel like youre actively working to make it seem like Byleth was a good choice. I understand I'm bias, because I care about Smash as a whole (meaning, Steve is objectively a good pick, being from the top selling game of all time), but I cannot think of a worse character for the fifth character pass than Byleth. Literally. A Fire Emblem character was the worst case scenario to end the hype upon, or even include at all. Even those hoping for him understood this. While it exists for Steve, it's just... not comparable.
We get it, Byleth was a mixed bag. But considering the popularity of Fire Emblem and Three Houses being the best selling game of the series as well as considered one of the best entries, it was bound to show up eventually in the DLC discussion. If by some miracle a Season 3 pass ends up happening, Byleth not being part of the conversation for 3 whole passes would be downright impossible. I do agree that hype-wise, Byleth wasn't great. But to even include? Byleth would have been talk of the town at some point in the DLC cycle because of Three Houses.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Super Mario: After thinking about it, I still think Super Mario is disconfirmed. If they were going to add a character, it was going to be for the Super Mario 35th Anniversary, and they didn't do that. Sure the anniversary is bleeding into next year, but I highly doubt that was the original intent, which would mean that a Super Mario character's timing wouldn't be with that in mind. King Boo, Geno, Waluigi, all of them are done in my opinion.
I'm still convinced that Geno is going to be added sooner or later, probably at the end of this fighters pass... I like Geno but I'm not obsessed (not anymore at least), I don't care much of him anymore but I would be happy if he gets in, even if sometimes part of his fanbase can get annoying. Regardless, I think that he's still very likely, really, one of the few characters I'd give a more than 30% chance score in the rate their chances thread.

Mostly because his history is so tied with Smash, he's been heavily requested since pre-Brawl and unlike some other characters like Waluigi, he has a specific game to represent, with style, musics and locations unique to it. Banjo Kazooie has been added for similar reasons, so I can't see why they wouldn't do the same for Geno.

Unless Nintendo has something against SMRPG specifically and doesn't want to promote the game.

As much as I would like Prof. E. Gadd, yeah I agree with you that any other Mario character is probably done.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If they want unique movesets and such, I hope they include a character from a rhythm game like chorus kids or the mascot from taiko drum master.

Does anybody not thought that is curious that Steve doesn’t got leaked? Generally, western companies tend to be leakable and there wasn’t any leaks regarding Steve, not counting ZhugeEx tease that was a few hours earlier than his reveal. I think that Nintendo has a found a good way to prevent leakers, at least for Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If they want unique movesets and such, I hope they include a character from a rhythm game like chorus kids or the mascot from taiko drum master.

Does anybody not thought that is curious that Steve doesn’t got leaked? Generally, western companies tend to be leakable and there wasn’t any leaks regarding Steve, not counting ZhugeEx tease that was a few hours earlier than his reveal. I think that Nintendo has a found a good way to prevent leakers, at least for Smash.
I thought about that too

what might have helped is that Minecraft was used as "Leakbait" for Banjo in FP1, Since after that happened, i bet people stopped paying attention to Minecraft getting in, until Steve just showed up like that. I guess also because Microsoft also worked on Smash by allowing banjo, negotations were probably much easier to finalize in Secret for Steve. I mean, if this was 3 years in the making, they were using Smoke screens and Sneaky tactics. Harada would be Proud

Honestly, that kinda makes me think we won't get a new Western company in the game though, unless it's Crash. honestly I'm seeing Crash as a mii costume at best right now though, I don't know about you

SKX31

Smash Master
Pokemon: Maybe, but I'm not counting on it when they did Spirit Event Sword's / Shield's base game. And Steve's revealed earlier today doesn't help - a Pokemon reveal meant to promote something now has to come rather close to Steve's release. It's for the same reason I'm strongly doubting a LoL reveal this month. I can't say it won't happen - after all, Hero / B-K were revealed nigh-simultaneously, but there's not much precedence for a very slightly staggered reveal schedule. We also have no clue how many 1st / 2nd party spots FP2 has; which might mean that Pokemon's competing against Mario etc. now that we know two of the spots, and one of them is ARMS - the other third party.

Mario: Naaaaah... not seeing it. Not just because of the 35th timing (although a Mario character not being FP7 does not help those chances at all) but also since the post-35th window (April 2021 onwards) does not have as many chances to reveal a Mario character. By April it's safe to say that 3 or 4 of the FP2 characters will have been revealed, and if it doesn't happen for a Mario character then it's going to be less likely. That's in addition to the above mentioned aspect that it might compete against Pokemon and other first / second parties for FP2 slots.

I'm not been here often, but I was wondering if this person has any credibility whatsoever. From what I've seen not really. https://twitter.com/HotGirlVideos69/status/1311676570965356544
One word:

NOPE.

The thread's basically had enough of that user. I'd reccomend using the search function if you wanna know why.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Cinderace is very likely since Pokemon is huge, Sword and Shield are currently available on the Switch, and I can easily see Nintendo choosing it to be represented with a full DLC pack in Smash.
Captain Toad is the most likely Mario character in my opinion, since he's officially a star of his own spin-off series at this point, but he's not super-likely in the first place. Geno is a possibility, but I still believe he could just return as a Mii Costume if anything.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We get it, Byleth was a mixed bag. But considering the popularity of Fire Emblem and Three Houses being the best selling game of the series as well as considered one of the best entries, it was bound to show up eventually in the DLC discussion. If by some miracle a Season 3 pass ends up happening, Byleth not being part of the conversation for 3 whole passes would be downright impossible. I do agree that hype-wise, Byleth wasn't great. But to even include? Byleth would have been talk of the town at some point in the DLC cycle because of Three Houses.
I fully disagree. I think the reveal speaks for itself, considering Sakurai basically says "Sorry, it's Byleth. Let me give you the finger."
Either way, it's irrational to compare Byleth to Steve. No one even knows who Robin is anymore, aside from Smash. In four years I can just about guarantee that Steve will still be well known in the gaming pantheon... unless the world explodes, which seems very possible in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom