• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I doubt this was done purposefully, but doesn't it rub anyone the wrong way that the Microsoft-Bethesda acquisition was finalized only days after PS5 pre-orders went live, and a day before Xbox pre-orders go live?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nintendo would be smart to acquire Capcom, Sega, or Square-Enix. All three fit Nintendo well.

I think SEGA makes the most sense because I don't see the other two selling out. Both Capcom and Square seem to do fine cross-platform. SEGA has struggled recently and their IP seems to fit well with the Nintendo IP. Imagine the Sonic series getting taken over by Nintendo.

Microsoft acquiring Bethesda is HUGE. Funny, Microsoft says it doesn't have a lot of huge IP but I actually think that about Sony. Sony usually makes the best consoles but they lack the great IP. Nothing Sony has is on the level of Halo, Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. when it comes to iconic or quality.

Although Microsoft has really wasted the Rare properties. That is one downside about Microsoft. Rare had it rolling when they worked with Nintendo.
Bruh even ignoring how Nintendo has a ****ton of neglectes franchises and how monopolies aren't good, how the hell have SEGA been struggling with Puyo Puyo, Yakuza, Atlus, Streets of Rage, Alex Kidd and more getting bigger pushes. ****, Sonic still sells really well, Forces was by no means a flop at all.

Also Rare ****ed up entirely on their own, MS gave them freedom yet people act like Nuts and Bolts wasn't entirely Rare's fault

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't really want Nintendo to buy out any major companies. Sure it'd be cool for Capcom to be able to get like 30 characters because it's now first party, but Nintendo has it's own underutilized series, it doesn't need more fighting for their attention. Besides, I doubt Capcom or whoever could get DMC5 or RE8 working on Switch.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I doubt this was done purposefully, but doesn't it rub anyone the wrong way that the Microsoft-Bethesda acquisition was finalized only days after PS5 pre-orders went live, and a day before Xbox pre-orders go live?
No? The merger's going to be finalized by January to June 2021, these deals aren't suddenly made overnight

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honest to god, I keep imagining a Vergil Smash trailer with him unleashing Judgement Cut End as a final smash while the song goes "MY FAMILY CREST IS A DEMON OF DEATH!" at the end. This song really do be giving me brainrot
And then there's me who can't recall much of Bury the Light, but it's stuck in my head anyway so my brain just mashes the part that I can remember with Rules of Nature.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, do you feel Microsoft's recent acquisition is a good thing overall, or a bad thing overall?
For me, personally? Bad, as much as I'd like to own all three consoles, I just can't afford to, and Xbox's the one that I'm missing out because its exclusives just aren't up to snuff. So I'm basically at Microsoft's mercy as to whether I'll be able to play Bethesda's games. It's not too bad because I don't play Arkane's games, id's games and Machineworks' games and GhostWire is still gonna be on PS5, but missing out on TES6 and Starfield is a big ouch.

For Bethesda? It's a mixed bag. I honestly don't know why Microsoft's paying top dollar for what's basically just a couple more games to put on Game Pass, but I'd expect for them to at least use the financial stability to be able to get better QA and bug testing, and probably a new engine once their next two games are out the door. Aside from that, I hope Microsoft doesn't mismanage the hell out of them as so many previous acquisitions have.

For Microsoft? It's good. Marginally, imo, but it's good. I could see them using either id, Machineworks or Arkane (all studios talented with first person games) to help/supplant 343, which clearly needs the assist at this point. But even if they allocate them the independence that Ninja Theory, Double Fine, etc, seem to be enjoying, they'll still get the sequel to Skyrim as an exclusive, even if it's to give away for free for whatever reason. That counts for a lot.

For the gaming market at large? I don't think it changes much tbh. We'll probably see less Skyrim ports and Bethesda will naturally become less of a dominant force in the industry, but aside from that, I don't see why Sony or Nintendo would have any reason to be concerned. But as always, we won't see the effects fully play out until a long while down the line.

I do wonder if this is it for Microsoft or if they'd try to buy another publisher. CD Projekt Red comes to mind as a potentially cheap and illustrious acquisition, but given how we're at Bethesda levels already, can't rule out another one of the top dogs.

You're being naive if you don't think this was announced today on purpose. It's business, dropping the bomb that is acquiring one of the biggest companies in the industry before your product goes on sale is the best advertising money can buy.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Nintendo would be smart to acquire Capcom, Sega, or Square-Enix. All three fit Nintendo well.

I think SEGA makes the most sense because I don't see the other two selling out. Both Capcom and Square seem to do fine cross-platform. SEGA has struggled recently and their IP seems to fit well with the Nintendo IP. Imagine the Sonic series getting taken over by Nintendo.

Microsoft acquiring Bethesda is HUGE. Funny, Microsoft says it doesn't have a lot of huge IP but I actually think that about Sony. Sony usually makes the best consoles but they lack the great IP. Nothing Sony has is on the level of Halo, Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. when it comes to iconic or quality.

Although Microsoft has really wasted the Rare properties. That is one downside about Microsoft. Rare had it rolling when they worked with Nintendo.
That is straight up impossible, so many things would get in the way.

Number 1, MS bought Bethesda for 7 billion dollars and Nintendo's average earnings each year is around the 1 to 2 billion range. An acquisition, like destroy any profit Nintendo made in the Switch era and could affect things like employee paychecks to game budgets and there would possibly be even layoffs.

Number 2, The Japanese government would without a doubt declare that to be a monopoly and block said acquisitions from happening. Nintendo already has a large of the video game market in Japan has it is and if a such a deal were to happen it would be large that Government intervention would certainly happen.

Number 3, Nintendo would need to somehow convince all three those publishers executives and share holders to give up any ownership and the right to make games for any platform other then Nintendo's. Which is easier said then done, because all three them could see that just remaining as is could bring in more profit in the long term.

Dear ****ing god, I am gonna have to explain all of this to so many Nintendo and Sony fans for a long time aren't I? Because its hasn't already been a day and I had already explain why Sony buying Konami wouldn't work out just an hour or two ago.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't really want Nintendo to buy out any major companies. Sure it'd be cool for Capcom to be able to get like 30 characters because it's now first party, but Nintendo has it's own underutilized series, it doesn't need more fighting for their attention. Besides, I doubt Capcom or whoever could get DMC5 or RE8 working on Switch.
Actually, Monster Hunter Rise shows that the RE Engine CAN work on the Switch... As long as it's taken into account from the getgo, otherwise they'd have to pretty much ruin the game as seen with the RE7 attempt. I love DMCV too much to see it get completely butchered just because inferior hardware demanded such
And then there's me who can't recall much of Bury the Light, but it's stuck in my head anyway so my brain just mashes the part that I can remember with Rules of Nature.
I mean, people constantly compare it to MGR's style of music, so fair enough

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I wouldn't entirely object to Nintendo buying smaller series or companies, though.

Scribblenauts, for instance. Warner isn't doing much with the series, and Nintendo could probably make great games using the IP. Plus Maxwell is now First Party and much more likely so that's nifty.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I don't think Nintendo would have the resources to acquire SEGA, or any other big gaming company like Capcom or Square. Looking at SEGA alone, imagine the price-tag on that company? It's like an onion, you're acquiring SEGA, but then you're also acquiring ATLUS by extension, and that comes with all of their properties which certainly increases the overall value by a great amount.

Maybe it would be easier if Nintendo was a tech giant like Microsoft or Sony, but they aren't. That's not to say Nintendo is "poor" by any means, but I'm sure they don't have access to billions of dollars to spend without major repercussions.

I'd also think Nintendo acquiring SEGA would just lead to more properties being pushed and a lot more being neglected. Fans are already clamoring for Nintendo to revive enough franchises, and including SEGA/ATLUS would only put more on their plate. I think Nintendo, with what they have, have proven to be fine on their own, but I do find the prospect of them acquiring other companies to be interesting when discussed as hypotheticals, so I hope you don't think I'm bashing your ideas/opinions.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So, do you feel Microsoft's recent acquisition is a good thing overall, or a bad thing overall?
For me personally? I don't really care that much. The only Bethesda property I really kept up with is Doom. So, as long as future entries either come to PC or Switch, I'm fine.

Now, surrounding everyone's reactions to the buyout? Here's my thoughts on the matter:

I don't get why everyone is acting like this is a major game changer that will signifies the future of gaming as a whole. No, video games are not turning into the Hollywood studio system where everyone is bought out under five or six publishers. Even the industry's most successful companies don't have enough excess cash to be making multibillion dollar buyouts of their competitors. Microsoft is kind of an exception, as they're a behemoth that has tons of cash laying around that, but even they can't afford to pull this kind of thing on a regular basis.

Even when it comes to using another company's IP, a full buyout is extremely drastic. That's a ton of money when just paying for the license, getting an exclusivity contract, or financing the development in exchange for exclusivity are all far more cost effective than just buying the studio for their rights. If Nintendo or Sony really want an exclusive Dragon Quest or Metal Gear that they have control over, buying Square Enix or Konami is the most shortsighted and over-the-top way to do that. It's like using a nuclear bomb to clear squirrels out of your backyard.

And, no, this isn't a sign of monopoly or that the market is becoming smaller in terms of options. Thanks to stuff like Indie development, Steam, and the ability to advertise through online word of mouth, there are more games from more developers than ever before. The industry is very healthy, as far as competition goes. Yes, Bethesda is a major corporation and removing their independence from the market does harm the industry more than removing most companies would, but it's still not that bad. Square and Enix merging had a bigger impact on market competition than this and the industry is completely fine 20 years later.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Number 1, MS bought Bethesda for 7 billion dollars and Nintendo's average earnings each year is around the 1 to 2 billion range. An acquisition, like destroy any profit Nintendo made in the Switch era and could affect things like employee paychecks to game budgets and there would possibly be even layoffs.

Number 2, The Japanese government would without a doubt declare that to be a monopoly and block said acquisitions from happening. Nintendo already has a large of the video game market in Japan has it is and if a such a deal were to happen it would be large that Government intervention would certainly happen.

Number 3, Nintendo would need to somehow convince all three those publishers executives and share holders to give up any ownership and the right to make games for any platform other then Nintendo's. Which is easier said then done, because all three them could see that just remaining as is could bring in more profit in the long term.

Dear ****ing god, I am gonna have to explain all of this to so many Nintendo and Sony fans for a long time aren't I? Because its hasn't already been a day and I had already explain why Sony buying Konami wouldn't work out just an hour or two ago.
You totally misread my post, I said 1 of the 3, not all of them.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Can I also just mention that Sega and Square have plenty of ventures that don't even have much to do with gaming and that Nintendo would surely shut down and lay off said people work for those divisions if such a merger were to happen?

I am so glad console fanboy's don't make business decisions, because they are clearly terrible business people.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Bold of you to assume the internet would have people look at actual laws and facts involved instead of give in to brand loyalty
Now it's thrown in Team Yell and Hop's themes. Send help.
It's ok just listen to Bury the Light on loop for like an hour, so 6 times you'd normally listen to it.
You totally misread my post, I said 1 of the 3, not all of them.
That doesn't change the fact that Nintendo would still need to go through those steps regardless of what company they'd merge with

volbound1700

Smash Master
Someone asked who it would be smart for them to buy and I pointed out 3 companies (Bandco-Namco and Konami could be 2 more) that seem to fit Nintendo.

I do agree that Nintendo needs to develop their own IP more at this point. This is why they have publishers like Retro who really do not have their own IP but build off Nintendo's IP.

Nintendo Switch was a brilliant idea in that it combined Nintendo's handheld dominance with their main console. They no longer have to make 2x titles for each divide but can now combine titles.

I do think Nintendo is becoming more focused on the handheld market and jumping out of the general console market. It would be a smart move for Nintendo to move that way.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Flaming
Bold of you to assume the internet would have people look at actual laws and facts involved instead of give in to brand loyalty

It's ok just listen to Bury the Light on loop for like an hour, so 6 times you'd normally listen to it.

That doesn't change the fact that Nintendo would still need to go through those steps regardless of what company they'd merge with
Dude, I am just doing a general conversation item. No need to throw out insults. Why are you such an asshole?

This is why I avoid posting in this thread, some of the people in here are just *****. Like I didn't know that a M&A would be a real challenge.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Someone asked who it would be smart for them to buy and I pointed out 3 companies (Bandco-Namco and Konami could be 2 more) that seem to fit Nintendo.

I do agree that Nintendo needs to develop their own IP more at this point. This is why they have publishers like Retro who really do not have their own IP but build off Nintendo's IP.

Nintendo Switch was a brilliant idea in that it combined Nintendo's handheld dominance with their main console. They no longer have to make 2x titles for each divide but can now combine titles.

I do think Nintendo is becoming more focused on the handheld market and jumping out of the general console market. It would be a smart move for Nintendo to move that way.
there's a difference between buying a small series that's a bit past it's prime then massive corporations that pump out multiple million sellers a year.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
No

I think SEGA makes the most sense because I don't see the other two selling out. Both Capcom and Square seem to do fine cross-platform. SEGA has struggled recently and their IP seems to fit well with the Nintendo IP.
This is wrong

Imagine the Sonic series getting taken over by Nintendo.
It wont

volbound1700

Smash Master
there's a difference between buying a small series that's a bit past it's prime then massive corporations that pump out multiple million sellers a year.
Greetings, I can somewhat agree although I will say SEGA is getting past its prime and is struggling today. Granted, it has some IP out there that people don't pay alot of attention to that are big sellers such as the Total War series.

TheBeastHimself

I believe talking about the hypothetical scenario of "what if this company bought that company" can be fun, and they provide a lot of talking points for many people to learn about business/economics fundamentals.

However, I also believe nobody should be advocating for more companies to follow in Microsoft's footsteps. It's not fun when your favorite gaming company is now obligated to cater to specific audiences (although Microsoft left room for negotiation in that regard, which I guess is nice). Having the gaming industry become fragmented would completely destroy the stable competition and market of ideas that already serve the industry quite well.

If there ever comes a time where somehow companies start acquiring others in rapid succession (which will never happen), it'd likely kill the console market entirely because gaming on a PC would be much more convenient than having to buy all three consoles just to play your favorite games. It's okay for each console to have exclusives to provide further incentive for investment, but the majority of 3rd party games should generally have equal access to all consoles.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Greetings, I can somewhat agree although I will say SEGA is getting past its prime and is struggling today. Granted, it has some IP out there that people don't pay alot of attention to that are big sellers such as the Total War series.
Sega is more than just Sonic Team

-The Yakuza Series has sold more than 12 million copies

-Project Diva series has sold 6 million copies

-Sakura Wars is consistently high on Popularity polls for famitsu and is a massive multi media franchise as well

-Puyo Puyo the series sold 27+ million

this is not mentioning other partners they have or even the arcades.

I would say SEGA is doing pretty well right now

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My dude they literally are not struggling who told you this. And Total War is in their top 3 best selling franchises. Sega's doing fine, they're just not focusing almost exclusively on Sonic

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Except this isn't remotely true. Series like Total War (which you mention) and Yakuza sell incredibly well and get consistent great reviews. On the Atlus side of Sega, Persona 5 Royal is one of the best reviewed Playstation 4 and also sold really well. Hell the original Persona 5 sold over 3 million copies. Sega is in a much better position then they were in during the late 90's, all of the 2000's, and early 2010's in terms of both making money and the quality of their games.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Sega is more than just Sonic Team

-The Yakuza Series has sold more than 12 million copies

-Project Diva series has sold 6 million copies

-Sakura Wars is consistently high on Popularity polls for famitsu

this is not mentioning other partners they have or even the arcades.

I would say SEGA is doing pretty well right now
Their gaming side is doing fantastic this year
Their hotel,resort, casino, arcade, and animated movie business side isnt doing great this year but you should know why.

volbound1700

Smash Master
My dude they literally are not struggling who told you this. And Total War is in their top 3 best selling franchises. Sega's doing fine, they're just not focusing almost exclusively on Sonic

SEGA is doing well in 2020 but they have seen massive decreases in Profits and Sales since 2015. They are no where near the level that they were at in the 1990s when they were in the Console Race.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Their gaming side is doing fantastic this year
Their hotel,resort, casino, arcade, and animated movie business side isnt doing great this year but you should know why.
All the more reason why Nintendo, Sony, and MS should not buy Sega has all of those would get shut down almost instantly and a ton of people would lose their jobs.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Dude, I am just doing a general conversation item. No need to throw out insults. Why are you such an asshole?

This is why I avoid posting in this thread, some of the people in here are just *****. Like I didn't know that a M&A would be a real challenge.
. . .Where's the insult in any of what Gwen wrote? Because I'm not seeing any.

volbound1700

Smash Master
"Bold of you to assume the internet would have people look at actual laws and facts involved instead of give in to brand loyalty"

Yeah, that statement is condescending at all.

Sorry that I even mentioned Nintendo buying SEGA. Let's just move on. To me, that is the closest thing to the Microsoft buying Bethesda type purchase.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honest to god, I keep imagining a Vergil Smash trailer with him unleashing Judgement Cut End as a final smash while the song goes "MY FAMILY CREST IS A DEMON OF DEATH!" at the end. This song really do be giving me brainrot
View attachment 286377
Bury The Light is a massive motivator. Such a motivator, in fact, that it's all I've been listening to. I wouldn't be surprised if my eardrums have been reverse-engineered to play it on a loop.
I mean, people constantly compare it to MGR's style of music, so fair enough
I actually didn't make that connection. The instrumentation sounds a bit too... Withdrawn, I guess. MGR:R's got a high-octane, in-your-face style of metal to it. Bury The Light sounds bit... Lower? Deeper? It sounds a little like one of the "edgy" metal songs of the 2000's, which makes sense, considering how DMC was started out with "2000's cool" in mind and kept it even during the revival DMCV brought about.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If there ever comes a time where somehow companies start acquiring others in rapid succession (which will never happen), it'd likely kill the console market entirely because gaming on a PC would be much more convenient than having to buy all three consoles just to play your favorite games.
...How? Out of the three console makers, 1 doesn't put their games on PC at all and one only does so for older titles.

If anything, the big three buying all the third parties would mean the PC audience would be reduced to the spectrum between indie and AA, unless Valve and/or Epic stepped up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Pretty sure he means the remark about disregarding actual laws in favour of brand loyalty.

SEGA is doing well in 2020 but they have seen massive decreases in Profits and Sales since 2015. They are no where near the level that they were at in the 1990s when they were in the Console Race.
So? This is like saying Nintendo's on the brink of bankrupcy as they aren't dominating the console industry anymore

TheBeastHimself

SEGA also owns ATLUS, which, you know, is nothing to scoff at...

At the end of the day, SEGA is too huge and legendary of a company to even be considered on the table for potential acquisitions or mergers.

...How? Out of the three console makers, 1 doesn't put their games on PC at all and one only does so for older titles.

If anything, the big three buying all the third parties would mean the PC audience would be reduced to the spectrum between indie and AA, unless Valve and/or Epic stepped up.
I admit I got that wrong. If I'm being honest, I felt like I was on a roll with what I was writing and I kept going without proofreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom