• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A lot of people made bets that spirits couldn't be upgraded and we know how that went...
Right. I didn't, though. I said we wouldn't see any upgrades in the FP1 because those characters were chosen pre-launch and could be organized in tandem with base so as to not have any overlap. And there wasn't. I also said that FP2 was free game for promotions because the characters would have been chosen post-launch, and potentially subject to reevaluation. And there was.

But, much like FP1 and base were coordinated together, the spirit events and FP2 have been coordinated together. And much like there was no overlap between base spirits and FP1, I bet you we won't see any overlap between spirit events and FP2.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Microsoft purchasing Zenimax has a ton of huge implications and potential ramifications about which I could talk the whole day (Which games are going to be multiplatform going forward? Did Microsoft buy them for IP or for talent? Why buy The Elder Scrolls and Fallout when they were greatly trying to compete with them with Avowed and Obsidian's purchase? Is this just another Rare or BioWare case? Etc.)

But it has zero implications for Smash, the Pass was settled on long before this took place. At most, I'd say this means that we could see Bethesda Mii Costumes with a Microsoft character and vice versa, but that's it.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
There's a lot of talk on Twitter right now for Sony to "retaliate" and buy Konami. I mean, a lot of talk. It's very high on the Trending tab.
Jesus, it hasn't even been a day and I already hate the ripple effects. Sony already have enough dead IP's has it says, they certainly don't need more of them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's a lot of talk on Twitter right now for Sony to "retaliate" and buy Konami. I mean, a lot of talk. It's very high on the Trending tab.
Yeah Microsoft buys a thriving company and Sony buys a husk that can barely pump out collections of their old games.

That'll show em.

Sounds like Kojima fanboys to me.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I'm kinda surprised they are mentioning Konami and not Square Enix, which I think makes more sense then Konami. Tomb Raider, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Marvel's Avengers and that Project Athia all fit Sony a lot more then some of Konami's catalog (Metal Gear and Silent Hill notwithstanding). I think Konami would be more Nintendo's alley then Sony (Castlevania, Bomberman, Contra, DDR, etc, fit more Nintendo then Sony despite Symphony of the Night).

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Yeah Microsoft buys a thriving company and Sony buys a husk that can barely pump out collections of their old games.

That'll show em.

In my opinion MGS should have honestly died years ago, since MGS4 the series kept consistently getting worse and worse, Kojima constantly tried and failed to get away the series for years with the projects like a new Zone of the Enders and Silent Hills, but of course both were cancelled. Its just best to let MGS rest in peace at this point especially since likely doesn't want to make another one.

SKX31

Smash Master
Exactly. Nintendo and Microsoft will always be competitors. They may have respect for each other, but once there is a conflict of interests, this new "relationship" will go out the window. The only reason the two companies are collaborating so much recently is because it's good PR and makes audiences intrigued. Two rivals don't usually work together, so it's like a spectacle until that affect wears off.
I'm not entirely convinced - not as long as Microsoft's strategy centers around the Game Pass. Yes, the Series X / S will be very important pieces to them, but Microsoft's made it loud and clear that they don't care which device one plays their games on, as long as the service's involved somehow. The Series X / S are advertised as "The Best Way to play Microsoft games" but if people play the games on Sony / Nintendo consoles Microsoft are still okay with that since they get a cut of the $ anyhow.

If Microsoft's or Nintendo' strategy shifts? Yeah, then it's a different ball game.

That'll show em.

Guess what's keeping Konami afloat?

And they're cooperating with Shengqu Games to develop a Castlevania mobile tilte, 'Moonlight Rhapsody". Whose artstyle reminds me a bit of Bloodstained IMO.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If this turns into some nonsense Disney buying spree of companies, that would be stupid in my opinion. I doubt it would happen, and we're just dealing with a lot of butthurt fanboys, but could you imagine the implications that could have? A ton of well-known franchises start to become exclusives, Smash Bros. could potentially have more trouble drawing in 3rd parties, it could be a mess. Everyone just has to chill.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I'm not entirely convinced - not as long as Microsoft's strategy centers around the Game Pass. Yes, the Series X / S will be very important pieces to them, but Microsoft's made it loud and clear that they don't care which device one plays their games on, as long as the service's involved somehow. The Series X / S are advertised as "The Best Way to play Microsoft games" but if people play the games on Sony / Nintendo consoles Microsoft are still okay with that since they get a cut of the $ anyhow.

If Microsoft's or Nintendo' strategy shifts? Yeah, then it's a different ball game.

And they're cooperating with Shengqu Games to develop a Castlevania mobile tilte, 'Moonlight Rhapsody". Whose artstyle reminds me a bit of Bloodstained IMO.
sees another Castlevania game on mobile
.......Nintendo, please get the Castlevania IP and have Igarashi work on it. Take Bomberman and Contra with you. Just somebody take their IP's. Konami doesn't deserve them no more.

TheBeastHimself

Here's some tweets I found:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Given that Sony's approach to most of their IPs is to develop large games for a generation, hand the series over to a low-tier developer to make budget titles, and watch as the series slowly dies, I don't think giving them access to Konami's catalog is the best idea.

I get wanting greener pastures for a series of games that you really care about, but I don't understand the appeal of a brief return to glory if Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill are going to be as healthy as Jak and Daxter, PaRappa the Rappa, and Infamous in a generation.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Wasn’t there talks awhile back that Capcom was potentially looking to sell, or was now in a position where it’s shares could be bought out?

Imagine if while Xbox and Sony are fighting over big Western franchises like Bethesda and R*, Nintendo just swooped in out of nowhere and bought Capcom. Their entire catalogue would be open for Smash - Street Fighter, Mega Man, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Okami, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Darkstalkers, Lost Planet, Ghosts n’ Goblins, the MvC2 original fighters like Amingo, Viewtiful Joe, Dead arising, Bionic Commando, etc. etc.

Konami’s catalogue, SEGA’s too, would also be amazing gets for Nintendo, and any of the three would open up so many possibilities, it’d be insane. Which is why it isn’t gonna happen, but Microsoft buying ZeniMax was just as shocking and out-of-nowhere, so you never know

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
While I do like how Sony will always let their first party studios make new IP's and even giving existing franchises like God of War massive gameplay overhauls, I don't think they would be a good fit for Konami, especially for franchise revivals. Sony doesn't even do that for a lot of their own IP's from the PS1, PS2, and early PS3 era's. Like I am pretty sure that Ratchet and God of War are the only PS2 era Sony IP's still alive to this day.

TheBeastHimself

Wasn’t there talks awhile back that Capcom was potentially looking to sell, or was now in a position where it’s shares could be bought out?

Imagine if while Xbox and Sony are fighting over big Western franchises like Bethesda and R*, Nintendo just swooped in out of nowhere and bought Capcom. Their entire catalogue would be open for Smash - Street Fighter, Mega Man, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Okami, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Darkstalkers, Lost Planet, Ghosts n’ Goblins, the MvC2 original fighters like Amingo, Viewtiful Joe, Dead arising, Bionic Commando, etc. etc.

Konami’s catalogue, SEGA’s too, would also be amazing gets for Nintendo, and any of the three would open up so many possibilities, it’d be insane. Which is why it isn’t gonna happen, but Microsoft buying ZeniMax was just as shocking and out-of-nowhere, so you never know
I think it would be incredibly interesting if Nintendo acquired 3rd party franchises and transformed them into Nintendo franchises on the level of Mario and Zelda. I don't believe that has ever happened before, with the closest being Banjo-Kazooie.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Given that Sony's approach to most of their IPs is to develop large games for a generation, hand the series over to a low-tier developer to make budget titles, and watch as the series slowly dies, I don't think giving them access to Konami's catalog is the best idea.

I get wanting greener pastures for a series of games that you really care about, but I don't understand the appeal of a brief return to glory if Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill are going to be as healthy as Jak and Daxter, PaRappa the Rappa, and Infamous in a generation.
One of the many reasons I think Nintendo should be the one to take Konami instead of Sony. Dude, I think they'd have a field day with Castlevania and Bomberman. Heck, Nintendo is also no stranger to horror so Silent Hill wouldn't be too much of a problem for them either. Metal Gear is where I'd see some issue because of the complex storytelling but who knows?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Someone should buy Konami. Any company, really, doesn't even have to be one of the first parties. That's too good a catalogue to go to waste.
Sounds like if anybody is gonna do it, it'll be Tencent. -_-

Because at this point buying Konami isn't going to turn Konami back into Konami. You're really not buying any of the manpower, you're just buying the IPs. And most companies that can probably afford an acquisition that size seem to have enough trouble keeping parts of their own catalogue afloat.

So yeah. Mobile hell and Japanese arcades it is for Konami for the foreseeable future.

In my opinion MGS should have honestly died years ago, since MGS4 the series kept consistently getting worse and worse, Kojima constantly tried and failed to get away the series for years with the projects like a new Zone of the Enders and Silent Hills, but of course both were cancelled. Its just best to let MGS rest in peace at this point especially since likely doesn't want to make another one.
Yeah but that's not really how capitalism works. When money and artistic vision meet, money usually wins.

It's just that Konami plunged so hard into the toilet, they managed to eschew seemingly sensible business and artistic endeavours. It's impressive, really.

Here's some tweets I found:

Yeah this is just "Nintendo should buy Rare and let EPD Tokyo team make Banjo-Kazooie"

D

Deleted member

It concerns me how much bootlikers are there.

"NINTENDO, PLEASE BUY CAPCOM AND RARE, I WILL LICK YOUR BOOTS FOREVER!"

Glad everyone in here has common sense. That is nice to see.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
That was years ago, when Capcom was more in a rough spot. Today Capcom is doing extremely well, and I don't see Nintendo of everyone buying them. I'm pretty sure the last studio Nintendo bought is Monolith soft in 2007. I could maybe see Nintendo starting to buy smaller developpers like Platinum games and Next level games, but there's no way anyone's buying Capcom soon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man people going "pwees get bigger monopowies" blissfully unaware of how different ownership won't magically solve all the problems. It's reminding me of people gleefully asking Disney to buy Sony because of their Spiderman contracts running out and Disney demanding more from the already incredibly favourable contract they had

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be fair, I think some of these are just people wanting to see Castlevania and Silent Hill again... instead of...

'member when Konami made video games? I 'member.

Though there's probably the occasional rabid Sony fanboy in there too.

Dunno, after Kojima left, the fans pretty much left with him, especially after what Konami did to MGS.

Besides, it's likely that Kojima just wants to do new stuff tight now.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's kinda amazing to once see alot of people smacktalking Microsoft for having hardly any notable IPs after the Playstation 5 showcase and now those same people are now panicking at Microsoft now having notable IPs and a possibility of those series hardly appearing on their system. Who said karma doesn't exist?

And Sony buying Konami? When Konami is rolling in their pachinko and mobile money? It isn't wrong to be hopeful, but don't expect anything that soon.

I think that was before Capcom went on the spree of great games like Resident 7 & 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5, Megaman 11 and especially Monster Hunter World. I think Capcom is pretty safe now.

But that would be a frickin' hilarious outcome after the "Capcom Wars" posts we had earlier. Everybody fighting over Dante, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, etc, only for Nintendo to buy Capcom and go, "Why not all of them?" insert "Why not both" little girl getting cheered on

But man, I can only imagine the Smash community reaction if Nintendo ever got Capcom. Like Koei Tecmo would be cool for the speculation since Koei Tecmo does have notable series like Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, Monster Rancher, their Warriors games, Fatal Frame, Nioh, Toukiden, etc, but Capcom would be a frickin' diamond mine of speculation, reactions and possibilities with just how many notable series Capcom has. Heck, not even a diamond mine, but akin to finding the Holy Grail.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dunno, after Kojima left, the fans pretty much left with him, especially after what Konami did to MGS.

Besides, it's likely that Kojima just wants to do new stuff tight now.
Right, they're not saying that Kojima should return to Konami, they're saying the Konami IPs should come to Kojima. Or, at least, Sony, which then Kojima can work on. Metal Gear and Silent Hill and whatnot. I'm just assuming people are saying that.

And I agree Kojima may very well want to do new stuff now, but none of what's being asked for is rooted in reality anyway.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Konami as a business has been doing better recently without their focus on video game.
MGSV budget made the konami execs realize hmmm "we can spend less money making mobile games and make more off of it instead wasting away billions of dollars in triple A games".

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Man people going "pwees get bigger monopowies" blissfully unaware of how different ownership won't magically solve all the problems. It's reminding me of people gleefully asking Disney to buy Sony because of their Spiderman contracts running out and Disney demanding more from the already incredibly favourable contract they had
Also not to mention it requires both parties to willing agree to the purchase and the courts to rule in favor the purchase. For example Platinum might not be interested in selling to any publishers since they are trying to become a publisher themselves and if they do then all those efforts would be for nothing.

Capcom is also in an interesting position as their founder is still the CEO to this very day, but what makes that interesting is that Capcom is sort of a family business for him since his two son's work for the company, his oldest is the COO and his youngest the producer of the Monster Hunter series and since the CEO is 79 years old its likely he will die as CEO and the position will likely be given to his oldest son. That seems like the type of business despite being on the stockmarket that might not want to sell since its run by the same family for its entire existence.

Also here's a fun fact, Nintendo and Namco (prior to merging with Bandai) tried to merge together a long time ago, but the Japanese government shot it down due to fear that Nintendo could end up becoming a monopoly in the Japanese video game industry (funny enough they are accidently becoming that right now without even needing to expand due to their game's being the only consistent sellers in Japan and Switch hardware sales are crushing the PS4 and likely the PS5 well)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Nintendo's IPs are already extremely solid, I can't say I see them really needing to buy anyone.

I mean, maaaaaybe I'd be interested to see them take a crack at some of Sega's IPs, but TBH IDK how well that would turn out because the way Nintendo makes games is so vastly different to Sega that I'm not sure that Sega flair would still be there if it were in Nintendo's hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom