• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
you know who Nintendo should really buy? Level-5, they need it
The only way that would work out is if they fire the upper management including the CEO who owns the company. That company is imploding right now due to constant bad decision by the management. Honestly might be best to hire the talent instead of buying the game since I don't think Nintendo buying Level 5 would fix the company since a lot of their problems would still be in tact.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be honest, Nintendo is fine with their current IPs. They could probably focus exclusively on Mario and it's many spin-off franchises, Zelda, Pokémon, AC, Splatoon, Kirby, and FE and still do just fine.

I think I'd prefer that they find a way to make their existing IPs work instead of buying more. Stuff like Metroid, Star Fox, and Kid Icarus have potential, but Nintendo can't seem to figure out what to do with them.

SKX31

Smash Master
Bruh you know Konami ****ed up when the spiritual succesor is what first comes to mind.

Looked further down in the twitter thread and saw this:

Looked through Weibo (Chinese Twitter) re: this. And the first thing I saw? "The Castlevania IP is already dead." There's also very few-to-no likes / shares / comments on the Moonlight Rhapsody Weibo page per post, suggesting that it's gotten a reputation as a total copycat. Hell, the initial announcement that Konami was working with them back in July had very little (10K) views and few comments, partly because the copycat Moonlight Rhapsody (Codename C that is) already existed.

Seriously, it's no wonder that the Chinese hardcore has generally become sick of the whole "copying other games" thing. To use Pokemon Unite as an example of this:

However popular MOBAs might be in China, though, netizens venting their frustration online largely appeared unimpressed with the 11-minute online presentation of the new game from Tencent and The Pokémon Company. Some mockingly referred to the game as “Honour of Pokémon,” ridiculing the game for looking too much like Honour of Kings. And many worried that the game will turn out to be another free-to-play game that nickel-and-dimes players with microtransactions to unlock certain elements. It’s a common monetization strategy for mobile games in China.

One popular Weibo user started a poll asking what people think of the new game. Nearly half of the more than 26,000 participating users voted that the game should “get lost.” Just over 4,000 people voted that they’re “looking forward” to the game.
Man people going "pwees get bigger monopowies" blissfully unaware of how different ownership won't magically solve all the problems. It's reminding me of people gleefully asking Disney to buy Sony because of their Spiderman contracts running out and Disney demanding more from the already incredibly favourable contract they had
This. Especially when Konami's mostly turned towards licensing and steady moneymakers - and damn the consequences. Kinda like how EA and Tencent operate (okay, there are differences in all three cases, but oh **** there are similarities).

Nintendo / Sony / whoever would have to practically change the company culture within Konami majorly, and that might be too much work for them.

Bamco or Tencent seem more likely
Yeah, those two seem to be more likely. Tencent did recently invest in 20 % of Marvelous and loaned money to Platinum so they could self-publish, so I'm not completely sure if they're looking at Level 5. Bamco feels more likely IMO.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Kojima isn't working for Sony. As for now he has an independent studio. He's currently making a new game and he probably has a publisher helping it, which could be Sony again, but that we don't know.

There's a lot of talk on Twitter right now for Sony to "retaliate" and buy Konami. I mean, a lot of talk. It's very high on the Trending tab.
People really think buying companies is a thing you can do by pressing a button or something.
I mean, I understand what they mean, but as I said Sony isn't really able to make a big purchase. Well, they could, but I think it would be too risky.

Given that Sony's approach to most of their IPs is to develop large games for a generation, hand the series over to a low-tier developer to make budget titles, and watch as the series slowly dies, I don't think giving them access to Konami's catalog is the best idea.

I get wanting greener pastures for a series of games that you really care about, but I don't understand the appeal of a brief return to glory if Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill are going to be as healthy as Jak and Daxter, PaRappa the Rappa, and Infamous in a generation.
Sony has a lot of IPs, just like Nintendo. It's impossible to gave all these IPs a chance to shine each gen. So the normal thing is to keep rotating and bring old franchises if there's enough demand. And honestly, I don't think there's enough demand for them to bring back PaRappa or Sly Cooper, for example. In Jak's case, I could see it, but still unlikely.

Also, it's not like Jak and Daxter or Infamous are dead as a franchises. It's just that their creators (Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch) just decided to move on and try new things, which to me seems fantastic. I'd wish to see a completely original IP from Retro Studios, for example.

And I don't really agree with the comparison. Sony would probably know how to handle Silent Hill and MGS. Castlevania, I don't know, but the other two? They fit Playstation very well. And they know (everyone knows) that fans want new games from these franchises.
In fact, a new Silent Hill game financed by Sony is a really strong rumour.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
To be honest, Nintendo is fine with their current IPs. They could probably focus exclusively on Mario and it's many spin-off franchises, Zelda, Pokémon, AC, Splatoon, Kirby, and FE and still do just fine.

I think I'd prefer that they find a way to make their existing IPs work instead of buying more. Stuff like Metroid, Star Fox, and Kid Icarus have potential, but Nintendo can't seem to figure out what to do with them.
I'd like to see Nintendo do anything with Kirby that isn't a linear side-scroller.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I would like to see Nintendo make new IP's rather then just revivals. Personally I think Xenoblade, Splatoon, and Astral Chain were some of the most interesting Nintendo games from the 2010's and they were all new IP's that were successful. Plus with new IP's we can get new Smash characters without worrying about ownership changing over the years.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
you know who Nintendo should really buy? Level-5, they need it
I suppose either Nintendo, Namco or Square as Level-5 seems to have the best history with those three companies.

Though mainly as a worse comes to worst type scenario.

Would hate to see the company and all its IP's go under if they happen to get Alphadream'd...

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Something I've always wondered is why Zelda stuck and Metroid got a bit iffy over the years, in terms of popularity and relevancy. At first I thought Zelda was more accessible to a wider audience, but then I didn't think that was the case because they're both challenging puzzle-solving games. I don't know. Both are classics that debuted on the NES.

It just seems like if a new Metroid games come out on the Switch, it'll get a lot of hype from a smaller crowd compared to BOTW 2 which would probably rumble the entire Nintendo community.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd like to see Nintendo do anything with Kirby that isn't a linear side-scroller.
Well they did make extended versions of all those side-games on the 3DS. Only team kirby clash made the jump to switch tho.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've given up on Konami doing anything new, but them dragging their feet on another Castlevania collection is what's really baffling me considering how relatively easy it would be to put another out.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Outer Worlds definitely was disappointing
Was still better than the last couple Fallout games.

Microsoft just gained a huge amount of huge IPs.
Eh...it's like 4. Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom and Wolfenstein.

How does this hurt Doom Guy's chances?
Because if Microsoft was going to push one of their space marines in Smash, Master Chief is the more likely choice.

That said, since Pass 2 has already been chosen, I doubt any of this will affect Ultimate.

you know who Nintendo should really buy?
Capcom.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Something I've always wondered is why Zelda stuck and Metroid got a bit iffy over the years, in terms of popularity and relevancy. At first I thought Zelda was more accessible to a wider audience, but then I didn't think that was the case because they're both challenging puzzle-solving games. I don't know. Both are classics that debuted on the NES.

It just seems like if a new Metroid games come out on the Switch, it'll get a lot of hype from a smaller crowd compared to BOTW 2 which would probably rumble the entire Nintendo community.
Metroid was never that popular in Japan because the sci-fi theme is more a Western thing. Also Japan don't play that much FPS, which hurt even more the Prime subseries. Also Metroid games have way less marketing than Zelda games.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Metroid was never that popular in Japan because the sci-fi theme is more a Western thing. Also Japan don't play that much FPS, which hurt even more the Prime subseries. Also Metroid games have way less marketing than Zelda games.
Metroid has never really been massive popular to begin, the highest selling entry in the series is around the 2 million mark. During the Gamecube and GBA era it was probably roughly the same level of popularity where Fire Emblem is now, but sales kept declining for not just Prime, but the franchise as a whole worldwide.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, do you feel Microsoft's recent acquisition is a good thing overall, or a bad thing overall?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, do you feel Microsoft's recent acquisition is a good thing overall, or a bad thing overall?
i dunno, honestly. I just woke up and suddenly, MICROSOFT HAS BOUGHT BETHESDA. Seeing as Microsoft is surprisingly open with ports, I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'd rather that this stays the full extent of their buyouts. MS becoming the gaming Disney isn't a pleasant outcome.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
For Smash? It changes nothing, characters are locked and we have no idea if we were to even get a MS and/or Bethesda character to begin with.

For the much larger gaming industry? Very bad, I already a distrust with how MS manages their first party studios throughout the entire existence of the Xbox brand. I hate how this is opening the floodgates of fanboys demanding Sony to buy Konami and Nintendo to buy Koei Tecmo, even though neither Nintendo and Sony bring in enough revenue to justify something this big. I also hate to see Sony and Nintendo fans lose Bethesda games and their IP's and I don't like MS aggressive attitude of just buying beloved studios and ip's instead of building new studios and creating new ip's and reviving old ones.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So fun little inconsequential thing to mention here: Jon GameXplain is now Jon NintendoLife.

Not really big fan of the "big company getting eaten by bigger company" aspect of it all. But as to what it means for the consumers, I guess that remains to be seen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For the consumer it's probably a bad thing overall, because fewer games are going to be multiplatform going forward.

For Microsoft it's great. They just got a bunch of big potential killer apps they have the option to make exclusive.

For me, I'd rather it didn't happen. I haven't had an Xbox system since the 360, and I don't care enough about Bethesda games to get a system for it, so short of them still allowing the titles on other platforms, or Gamepass coming to Switch, I'll probably miss out on some games. Also this adds one more barrier to getting Bethesda content in Smash's future, which isn't great.

But Microsoft is going in an interesting direction, positioning themselves to be more a console-agnostic service over a singular platform going forward, so we'll see how it plays out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bethesda being forced to have good quality control would be very good but that's a silver lining compared to a ****ing monopoly. Anyway we need Dante in Smash so that when Ultimate gets ported to the next Nintendo system, Vergil gets added too, ****** refuses to appear in games that aren't special editions and I'm waaay too damn hyped for another Vergil playthrough

SKX31

Smash Master
People are out here wanting Nintendo to buy out other companies and revive their IP when Nintendo's own inactive vs active IP ratio is at most 5:1...
New Ice Climbers game when?

So people can practice their grab combo skills.

Eeeeh? Not sure there.

On one hand, Microsoft's influence might be beneficial to Bethesda at large - now Bethesda's development studios have access to Microsoft's very vast network of funds and dev tools, and there is less of a risk that Bethesda's games will come out in a really unfinished state. However, the last effect might be minor depending on how Microsoft's quality control works. I'm not too worried about other systems since Microsoft's strategy is to spread their games as far and wide as possible.

On the other... yeah not a fan of "big companies get bigger" either. Microsoft's already an extremely large and interconnected company - it becoming even larger means that the video game industry at large inches towards an oligopolic or at worst even a cartel-like position. If it isn't there already. Even so, Microsoft's acquisition does mean that it can - at some point in the future - decide to do an A-B and lay off workers while seeing record-high profits. So there's that issue too.

Microsoft is going to have to buy a whole lot more than Bethesda for them to be within spitting distance of anything close to a monopoly.
Oligopolies / cartels are much more accurate to the situation. The console industry could be described as oligopolic since there are few main sellers (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft) and been so for a while. Now it's very difficult to summarize oligopolies / cartels (not least since they can have very different effects depending on the details), but it can be a very bad thing in this case considering those three could be considered megacorps and thus have strong-to-extreme influence on the video game industry as a whole. It is amplified by the current climate of "big companies getting bigger".

While I wouldn't describe the console industry as a cartel (the oil industry is mostly a cartel) there's also the risk that the video game industry transitions into that.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Anyway we need Dante in Smash so that when Ultimate gets ported to the next Nintendo system, Vergil gets added too, ****** refuses to appear in games that aren't special editions and I'm waaay too damn hyped for another Vergil playthrough
If Dante gets in, I hope Bury the Light is a music track. That song is already one of my favourites along Devil Trigger and Devils Never Cry.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Nintendo would be smart to acquire Capcom, Sega, or Square-Enix. All three fit Nintendo well.

I think SEGA makes the most sense because I don't see the other two selling out. Both Capcom and Square seem to do fine cross-platform. SEGA has struggled recently and their IP seems to fit well with the Nintendo IP. Imagine the Sonic series getting taken over by Nintendo.

Microsoft acquiring Bethesda is HUGE. Funny, Microsoft says it doesn't have a lot of huge IP but I actually think that about Sony. Sony usually makes the best consoles but they lack the great IP. Nothing Sony has is on the level of Halo, Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc. when it comes to iconic or quality.

Although Microsoft has really wasted the Rare properties. That is one downside about Microsoft. Rare had it rolling when they worked with Nintendo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If Dante gets in, I hope Bury the Light is a music track. That song is already one of my favourites along Devil Trigger and Devils Never Cry.
Honest to god, I keep imagining a Vergil Smash trailer with him unleashing Judgement Cut End as a final smash while the song goes "MY FAMILY CREST IS A DEMON OF DEATH!" at the end. This song really do be giving me brainrot
IMG_20200921_162207.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom