• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
So, let's just play with the idea that Ryce actually is being legit for the sake of this

And let's assume that the 3D Collection is real

A Mini Direct with:

Mario 3D World Switch(The worst kept secret in the industry atm)

Mario HD Collection

And Geno

So basically it'd be a Mario Direct in every way but name only.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll get this out of the way now.

Geno is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an awful choice for a Mario character and an awful choice for a Square Enix character. If he gets in I will consider him the worse addition to Smash Bros ever. He should be a Mii Costume and nothing more

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Geno is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an awful choice for a Mario character and an awful choice for a Square Enix character. If he gets in I will consider him the worse addition to Smash Bros ever. He should be a Mii Costume and nothing more
If this ins't a copypasta it will be.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

We have Mario in a costume and a common enemy as fully fledged playable characters.
As someone ambivalent to the Mario universe as a whole, I really can't begin to see how Geno is worse than them, much less the "worst addition to Smash Bros ever."

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm just waiting until I hear more info myself.

I've heard murmurs of Geno since like, July, but I've heard nothing conclusive. This Ryce thing is the first thing I've seen in a long ass time, and if more people come out to support this, THEN I'll definitely be considering this as proof.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's not, I typed it out.

Which is actually really annoying at the moment since the keyboard on my phone keeps closing whenever I press enter or backspace on Smashboards (I have a similar problem on Gamefaqs but only with enter) if anyone knows why this, I wouldn't mind some advice.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean...

Geno's near the bottom of my personal Mario list.

He's not the worst but... I'd take the majority of Mario characters over him.

That said, he'd make people happy so... oh well.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Steve? is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an awful choice for a Minecraft character and an awful choice for a Microsoft character. If he gets in I will consider him the worse addition to Smash Bros ever. He should be a Mii Costume and nothing more

Disclaimer: Not my actual thoughts on Steve?, obviously.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Geno is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom.
I'm not a Geno fan necessarily, but your vitriol here intrigues me. Why would Geno be so bad? Honestly I always assumed people jumped on board the Geno train after Sakurai himself said something about wanting him (I think?), before others realized how much they liked him and wanted him as well. I never figured he was a big draw on his own, but after Sakurai's endorsement and the fact he adds characters like R.O.B I don't know if anyone can say Geno's out of place, really.

Shroob

Sup?
As someone who's had passing connections with actual leakers

I've 'heard' about the potential of Geno coming, but it was always phrased as "Don't disregard his chances", which, until around July, Geno was more or less the presumably laughing stock of the people in the know. The tone shifted drastically a few months ago.

Does that mean he's actually coming? Dunno, but I do know that insiders are at the very least considering him a very real potential nowadays.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm not a Geno fan necessarily, but your vitriol here intrigues me. Why would Geno be so bad? Honestly I always assumed people jumped on board the Geno train after Sakurai himself said something about wanting him (I think?), before others realized how much they liked him and wanted him as well. I never figured he was a big draw on his own, but after Sakurai's endorsement and the fact he adds characters like R.O.B I don't know if anyone can say Geno's out of place, really.
My issue with Geno is he's just so insignificant of a Mario character, there are so many Mario characters more important, Captain Toad, Waluigi, King Boo, Toadette, heck even Birdo and Kamek. Even on the RPG side of things you have Paper Mario and Fawful. And the fact his game didn't even come out in my country until the Wii doesn't help. Every single character in the roster has more significance than Geno.

Especially R.O.B., the little dude helped pave the path for the future of gaming .

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Geno is the third party member in SMRPG, King Zell bolded the number 3, Mario's 35th Anniversary would tie in to it.

Yep, the stars are aligning.

Geno Mii costume is in!
As time goes on, the more likely I think that'll be. And the thought of the reaction scares me still...
We have Mario in a costume and a common enemy as fully fledged playable characters.
As someone ambivalent to the Mario universe as a whole, I really can't begin to see how Geno is worse than them, much less the "worst addition to Smash Bros ever."
To be fair, Dr. Mario represents a relatively popular spinoff series, and Piranha Plant is one of the most iconic enemies in the series (not as iconic as Goomba or Koopa Troopa, but still). Aside from his absurd popularity, Geno is a oneoff character from a oneoff Mario RPG spinoff.

Then again, I've never played SMRPG, so what do I know?

Shroob

Sup?
My issue with Geno is he's just so insignificant of a Mario character, there are so many Mario characters more important, Captain Toad, Waluigi, King Boo, Toadette, heck even Birdo and Kamek. Even on the RPG side of things you have Paper Mario and Fawful. And the fact his game didn't even come out in my country until the Wii doesn't help. Every single character in the roster has more significance than Geno.

Especially R.O.B., the little dude helped pave the path for the future of gaming .
I'm sorry jabroni, but

1599102987822.png

Monue

Smash Apprentice

Hmm. I understand what you mean, but maybe it's about perspective. For some Smash is a celebration of gaming, in which case Geno might not seem "worthy" of a spot in the roster. For others, Smash is a passion project for Sakurai, a man who has clearly put his all into the franchise; and if the creator of a beloved work expresses interest in adding a little character close to his own heart, it makes sense that some fans would agree and believe their inclusion is just as valid.

Obviously Smash is more than just those two things, but viewing a character like Geno with another lense might help you see his value as an inclusion in the roster. Smash is many things, but one of those things is a beloved passion project of Sakurai's, and I think it'd be nice to see him include a character he likes just for the sake of it. You know?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Alright, allow me (this is not to make fun of the source material). (Clears throat):

Springman as DLC when he's already an Assist Trophy in the same game is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an okay choice for an AT promotion, but the current timing is awful. If he got in, I'd consider him the near-worst addition to Smash Bros ever. He should, at the very least for Ultimate, be an AT and nothing more.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Wow, can't believe they'd go out of their way to make a full CGI trailer for Geno's premium Mii costume. /s

In all seriousness, in the event that Ryce isn't BS'ing us, I guess I can't get too upset about Geno. Far from my most wanted, but considering how long the name's been thrown around, it was bound to happen at some point.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I always considered Geno getting would represent Mario role playing gamess in general, given that SMRPG was the progenitor of all of them. He's someone wholly distinct yet embodying the game that kicked off that sub-genre of Mario.
Can't say I'm a fan of this line of thought.

For me, characters represent themselves first and foremost. If Geno doesn't come with content from other Mario RPGs, he'll only represent his own game and nothing more as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
Alright, allow me (this is not to make fun of the source material). (Clears throat):

Springman as DLC when he's already an Assist Trophy in the same game is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an okay choice for an AT promotion, but the current timing is awful. If he got in, I'd consider him the near-worst addition to Smash Bros ever. He should, at the very least for Ultimate, be an AT and nothing more.
I know this is a copypasta and all......but...
EU3XadQU0AECy-x.jpeg

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We've been discussing potential Smash characters for almost two and a half years now. I can't remember a single point in time when people didn't hear murmurs of Geno and thought he was one of the most likely characters.

Maybe if I knew what these insiders heard I'd change my mind, but for right now, I'm not even batting an eye.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I had a much more favorable opinion of Geno getting in before I came to this site >_>. Never truly wanted him as my wishes for Smash are far more high scale, but he was far from my bottom pick if my unrealistic wishes were impossible.

I think at this point, the one positive would be more potential Square partnerships in the future and/or an SMRPG revival. If it's literally just Geno in Smash and then nothing just like other series that have yet to make a return, then yeah he'd personally be a wasted slot for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom