• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
We've been discussing potential Smash characters for almost two and a half years now. I can't remember a single point in time when people didn't hear murmurs of Geno and thought he was one of the most likely characters.

Maybe if I knew what these insiders heard I'd change my mind, but for right now, I'm not even batting an eye.
Honestly, you'd be surprised.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but up until around June or July, Geno was always considered a "Kill on sight" when it came to Insider info, no one took him seriously.

This changed internally recently.

Do I believe this means Geno is actually coming? Frankly, I'm not sure. I know someone told me about SMT Nocturne HD and SMT5 the night before it happened, and said person also flat out told me "Don't disregard Geno".

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'll get this out of the way now.

Geno is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an awful choice for a Mario character and an awful choice for a Square Enix character. If he gets in I will consider him the worse addition to Smash Bros ever. He should be a Mii Costume and nothing more
Reminds of that one Bandana Dee copypasta from a while back. Not as glorious as that one was, but it comes close. Speaking of which...

Bandana Waddle Dee is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an awful choice for a Kirby character and an awful choice for a Nintendo character. If he gets in I will consider him the worse addition to Smash Bros ever. He should be a Mii Costume and nothing more

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, allow me (this is not to make fun of the source material). (Clears throat):

Springman as DLC when he's already an Assist Trophy in the same game is one of the worst ideas the smash community has ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. He's an okay choice for an AT promotion, but the current timing is awful. If he got in, I'd consider him the near-worst addition to Smash Bros ever. He should, at the very least for Ultimate, be an AT and nothing more.
eyyyyyyyy can i have a stab at this

ahem

Elma is one of the worst ideas the smash community ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. Sure, she's on the table for a Spirit promotion, but Sakurai wanted Rex before and he should actually go for it this time, despite giving a sort of "eulogy" speech for his Mii Costume. If she got in, I'd consider her the near worst addition to Smash Bros. ever. She should remain a Spirit and nothing more.

THIS REALLY HURT TO TYPE OKAY

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but up until around June or July, Geno was always considered a "Kill on sight" when it came to Insider info, no one took him seriously.

Do I believe this means Geno is actually coming? Frankly, I'm not sure. I know someone told me about SMT Nocturne HD and SMT5 the night before it happened, and said person also flat out told me "Don't disregard Geno".
Remember when Ridley was another one of those characters? The kind that, if any supposed leak even so much as hinted at the character's inclusion, said leak would immediately be shot down as fake regardless of all the other info?

I remember... and I also remember what went down on June 12th, 2018 at Nintendo's E3 Direct...

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I really just don’t see the appeal in Geno. He’s been in one game from 30 years ago and wasn’t even the main character in that game. He wouldn’t represent a new series and the series he would represent has much more impactful and well-known candidates like Waluigi and King Boo. If you want to argue that he could represent the RPGs, then why not consider Fawful or Paper Mario? I really don’t even feel like he would bring a new playstyle to the table- he would be a fighter with a gun for an arm like mega man or Mii gunner.. I honesty just don’t think the game would be too different if he were a deluxe Mii costume instead of a stand-alone fighter. For these reasons I see him as a waste of a DLC slot for the purpose of fan service.

That being said, I genuinely just want him in at this point so that his fans can stop hijacking every speculation thread to circle jerk about his chances amidst very circumstantial “evidence”. I’ll also be happy for his fans if he gets in, I just don’t understand him or why he should be in over other characters.

Edit- sorry, I forgot about his cameo in superstar saga in the arcade machine thing

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
eyyyyyyyy can i have a stab at this

ahem

Elma is one of the worst ideas the smash community ever had and represents one of the worst parts of the fandom. Sure, she's on the table for a Spirit promotion, but Sakurai wanted Rex before and he should actually go for it this time, despite giving a sort of "eulogy" speech for his Mii Costume. If she got in, I'd consider her the near worst addition to Smash Bros. ever. She should remain a Spirit and nothing more.

THIS REALLY HURT TO TYPE OKAY
If I'm going to be honest, going into detail about why you do/don't want someone just comes off as kinda preachy and detracts from the humor. Just keep it simple; This is a comedy show, not a soapbox.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like if Geno does get revealed tomorrow:

I say this as someone who doesn't really care for Geno, to not **** on the character. His fans, love them or hate them, have been dying for him for a long-ass time.

....but this also goes both ways. His fans should be respectful and not be insufferable you-know-whats.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, I can see people are starting to get annoyed at Geno talk...

So let's talk about Lloyd!

I made a poll about Lloyd. Please take some time to take it.

EDIT: Try this one instead. I fixed one problem.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I really just don’t see the appeal in Geno. He’s been in one game from 30 years ago and wasn’t even the main character in that game. He wouldn’t represent a new series and the series he would represent has much more impactful and well-known candidates like Waluigi and King Boo. If you want to argue that he could represent the RPGs, then why not consider Fawful or Paper Mario? I really don’t even feel like he would bring a new playstyle to the table- he would be a fighter with a gun for an arm like mega man or Mii gunner.. I honesty just don’t think the game would be too different if he were a deluxe Mii costume instead of a stand-alone fighter. For these reasons I see him as a waste of a DLC slot for the purpose of fan service.

That being said, I genuinely just want him in at this point so that his fans can stop hijacking every speculation thread to circle jerk about his chances amidst very circumstantial “evidence”. I’ll also be happy for his fans if he gets in, I just don’t understand him or why he should be in over other characters.

Edit- sorry, I forgot about his cameo in superstar saga in the arcade machine thing
Me too. I would actually be disappointed if Geno got in. He has no merits aside from being popular in the fandom for some reason.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Me too. I would actually be disappointed if Geno got in. He has no merits aside from being popular in the fandom for some reason.
He’d pretty much just be the result of an ongoing decade of circle jerking a random character until the hype spreads to the general population and explodes from there. I don’t even think most of his fans have played SMRPG at this point, a lot of the ones I see on Twitter are like 12 years old lol.

I also really love when he’s compared to Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo. I can’t speak as much for Banjo because I don’t know much about him, but really? How can you throw Geno into the same category as Ridley. Cmon.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
He’d pretty much just be the result of an ongoing decade of circle jerking a random character until the hype spreads to the general population and explodes from there. I don’t even think most of his fans have played SMRPG at this point, a lot of the ones I see on Twitter are like 12 years old lol.

I also really love when he’s compared to Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo. I can’t speak as much for Banjo because I don’t know much about him but really? How can you throw Geno into the same category as Ridley. Cmon
Yeah. All of those characters have out of Smash popularity. Geno doesn't.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don’t see why Square Enix would realistically pick Geno anyway when they haven’t done anything with him in the longest time. If they were to double dip I’d sooner see the likes of 2B or Neku happening
You're right on that one, especially considering that Geno won't interest anyone aside from hardcore Smash fans.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay. I kept making mistakes in the poll.

This should be fixed.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Call me a skeptic, but it's gonna take a lot to convince me Geno is happening. Feels like insiders have constantly been going back and forth between, "Oh sure, Geno will TOTALLY get in Smash. He's the next character after Goku," and, "Wait...Geno might actually be the next character. I've been hearing some things from my sources and..."

At the bare minimum, I'll need a reliable insider locking down on Geno.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Call me a skeptic, but it's gonna take a lot to convince me Geno is happening. Feels like insiders have constantly been going back and forth between, "Oh sure, Geno will TOTALLY get in Smash. He's the next character after Goku," and, "Wait...Geno might actually be the next character. I've been hearing some things from my sources and..."

Yeah. I do not think that Geno is a likely pick at all.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
....Man if we do get a drop tomorrow, this thread's gonna be spicy from both sides, huh.
Pretty much. Like I said I’ll be happy that he won’t be in conversations anymore, but I’ll also be a tad salty that he was picked over some other deserving Mario characters, let alone all of the other 3rd party choices we’ve got circulating.

cosmicB

Smash Ace

Interesting. Have you heard any other inside information from this guy that has since been confirmed as correct? Curious to know if he has any track record with first party Nintendo stuff, as Sega/Atlus leaks are much easier to get your hands on.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Interesting. Have you heard any other inside information from this guy that has since been revealed? Curious to know if he has any track record with first party Nintendo stuff, as Sega/Atlus leaks are much easier to get your hands on.
All I've heard is the SMT5/Noc HD ****. That came to pass so I can check that as good info on his part.

Shroob

Sup?

We need an insider to actually double down on this supposed shadowdrop more than anything.

Zell's hint and now Emily Roger's is 'something', but they're being coy more than anything else.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman

Honestly with insider track records lately as far as details go (not dates, just details) I’d be skeptical of a Geno leak even if it was from an actual insider. Of all the characters circulating right now he is probably the most likely to be used as leak bait, or genuinely leaked and he ends up being a deluxe costume like the para leak with the Sans costume as the “undertale rep”.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly with insider track records lately as far as details go (not dates, just details) I’d be skeptical of a Geno leak even if it was from an actual insider. Of all the characters right now he is probably the most likely to be used as leak bait, or genuinely leaked and he ends up being a deluxe costume like the para leak with the Sans costume as the “undertale rep”.
I do think that Geno will probably return as a Mii Fighter Costume.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Woooaaaah what's with all the 'Geno bad' posts? If the character looks and plays cool, honestly, nobody is gonna care that he's in. I feel like that's the case with any character. If they're fun and they bring something new to the table, bring 'em in.

I mean, I can get behind the reasoning that he's been in one game, but like, the core Mario cast is already in so I feel like it's fair game for virtually any Mario character at this point.

What I'm trying to say is, I want Geno, I think Geno would be a cool addition, and I think a lot of you suffer from bad opinion syndrome
:4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And that, my friend, is an oxymoron.

Also, "Geno is only popular because people like him" has got to be the dumbest take I have ever seen. Like, no crap Sherlock. It's not even a proper put down since in order for people to like a character, they have to have some sort of appeal. If a character is popular, even if it's just within a specific circle, then they have that appeal. Geno has many problems but this isn't one of them; It's just an observation.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
Woooaaaah what's with all the 'Geno bad' posts? If the character looks and plays cool, honestly, nobody is gonna care that he's in. I feel like that's the case with any character. If they're fun and they bring something new to the table, bring 'em in.

I mean, I can get behind the reasoning that he's been in one game, but like, the core Mario cast is already in so I feel like it's fair game for virtually any Mario character at this point.

What I'm trying to say is, I want Geno, I think Geno would be a cool addition, and I think a lot of you suffer from bad opinion syndrome
I’m not trying to poke fun here or be annoying, but I want to hear what does Geno bring to the table? He isn’t representing a new series or a new 3rd party. He wouldn’t have a unique playstyle; from what we know at least he’d be very similar to Mii gunner or Mega man unless Sakurai takes some really big creative liberties. Visually he’s cool looking I suppose but I’m not sure that that counts as something new

cosmicB

Smash Ace

I also really love when he’s compared to Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo. I can’t speak as much for Banjo because I don’t know much about him, but really? How can you throw Geno into the same category as Ridley. Cmon.
This is what bugs me. It's almost like cultural osmosis at this point more than any real connection with the character.

SMRPG was an incredibly important game to me growing up. I was constantly going back and forth on whether I liked Squaresoft games more or first party Nintendo games more back then, so getting a combination of the two was damn near perfection in my mind. Then not even a year later came the heartbreak of the two companies having a falling out, even if it did ultimately lead to my favorite game of all time (FF7). The majority of people asking for Geno never got to experience that. Which isn't to say that alone makes them undeserving of getting the puppet in obviously, the Ultimate fanbase in general skews younger than the early 30s demographic you'd have to be in to have such an experience, but so many just don't seem to even care to play the game. Hell, I've seen hardcore Geno fans go "eww, turn-based" when someone brought up the idea of them playing it.

If Geno gets in, I'll be happy for the fans that want him in earnest, and hope the ones that don't will one day actually play the game he's from.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

This always happens: A character that isn't your most wanted seems to be likely, so it's time for a wave of "oh god oh **** please don't be them" posts.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m not trying to poke fun here or be annoying, but I want to hear what does Geno bring to the table? He isn’t representing a new series or a new 3rd party. He wouldn’t have a unique playstyle; from what we know at least he’d be very similar to Mii gunner or Mega man unless Sakurai takes some really big creative liberties. Visually he’s cool looking I suppose but I’m not sure that that counts as something new
Yeah. Geno doesn't promote anything unless SMRPG gets either a remake or a sequel which I find unlikely, and I don't know if Square Enix and Nintendo would even choose him as a playable character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, I don't even expect a character tomorrow if it's going to entirely focus on Super Mario's 35th Anniversary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom