• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, I like Fire Emblem and so I wish it's reps ran on quality over quantity. When people dismiss it based on the mishandled roster alone, that sets me off.
Honestly, if Corrin and Roy were instead protagonists from more important games to the series then it would be very much improved already. It would probably mean no Chrom though.

Also, if secondary characters not named Lucina had a chance at getting in, that'd be great. This also applies to Pokémon, and The Legend of Zelda.

People who default to "ugh more FE" doesn't give you the right to think FE must make Pokemon look like F-Zero.
Um, wut?

For one, that's not at all what I was saying. For another, Pokémon still has more characters than Fire Emblem wha'chu mean?

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
You guys are giving him a preposterous amount of flak for just saying he’d like a lineup that’s more diverse stylistically.

He’s not saying the first pass was bad, he’s not saying we have to get more cartoony characters, he’s just saying he’d like more of a balance. That seems a fair want to me. Just because it’s not yours doesn’t mean it’s invalid. It’s subjective, that’s what he wants.

Just take it easy, jeez.
I get what you are saying, and what the tweet is saying but I can't help but feel that double-standards would factor into this certain request.
Like, I can't imagine that Bubsy, an 11th Pokemon, and Agumon (no offense) would be better received than Rayman, Crash, and Dixie Kong.

I thought about this since I'm in the crowd for more 1st Party characters as DLC, yet I feel that's only because I want specific 1st Party characters to join.

Nah they just don't like it when you hate Fire Emblem because its Fire Emblem. Even Fire Emblem fans criticize it's representation (though it's the quality they have a bone to pick with, not the quantity).
After all, saying "Fire Emblem bad" isn't criticism in any way and that's what FE fans dislike the most.
It would help discussions if people thought about what could be done to fix FE's representation, instead of just hating on the number of FE characters in Smash, hating on the franchise itself, or simply requesting the removal of certain FE characters off of the roster.

I can understand people wanting stylistic diversity, but even if somebody wants specifically "not-human, not-anime" characters, Ultimate has already added quite a few with pretty varied design aesthetics: :ultinkling::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultbanjokazooie:

I can't help but feel that it starts to sound a bit greedy. Smash has no shortage of characters like that.
So, because Smash has "enough" non-human, not-anime characters it's only reasonable to request for more anime human characters? That doesn't sound fair to me.
Unless you're just saying that we shouldn't care about the amount of non-human, not-anime characters anymore since we already have so many in Smash.
(Which is still arguably questionable when you consider that we're still missing gaming icons like Crash in the game).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is SatBK Sonic a cereal mascot, or an anime swordsman? It can be argued he checks off boxes for each

Discus.
Well if you were to ask Sonic fans they'd say that he doesn't fit into either category since he's an abomination.

Me though? I think he's pretty cool.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
...So does me wanting more Zelda fighters make me a fan of anime fighters or cereal mascots?
Yeah, uh, about that...

I just want cool characters, regardless or art style. If they're movesets are fun, their home games are fun, and their songs and stages are fun, I'll be satisfied.
PREACH. This is the primary reason I support whichever character I feel like; as long as the moveset's fun, who gives a flying mountain cat about that character's art style?

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
So, because Smash has "enough" non-human, not-anime characters it's only reasonable to request for more anime human characters? That doesn't sound fair to me.
Unless you're just saying that we shouldn't care about the amount of non-human, not-anime characters anymore since we already have so many in Smash.
(Which is still arguably questionable when you consider that we're still missing gaming icons like Crash in the game).
Rather, I'm saying that Smash already delivers pretty thoroughly on varied character design aesthetics. If you want characters like Crash in the game, I'm saying you should want them on their own merits, not because they're a cartoony mascot - in much the same way that I would think somebody asking for Lloyd isn't asking for him for the sake of having another anime swordfighter, but because they want him on his own merits.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
In terms of Zelda being anime or not, it depends on the type of game. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are clearly going for a more realistic look, Wind Waker and its sequels are more cartoons, but Breath of the Wild's artstyle is clearly anime akin to a Studio Ghibli movie.

D

Deleted member

i think they should add hisoka from hunterxhunter. hes a bit anime but thats okay imo

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At this rate the only sentiment that wouldn't be contentious is "I want whatever the roster gives me", which is some obsequious strong-arming, because people are free to want whatever they want.

Which is funny because if that guy had just said, I want Crash, Rayman and Dixie, none of this would've popped off. But he made the tragic mistake of saying anime and cartoony, and then suddenly,

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the topic as its presented is rather interesting. There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting a particular character over another, whether 1st party, 3rd party, humanoid, cereal mascot, male, female, sword user, fist fighter, etc... Everybody has their own gaming experiences, and therefore has forged connections with along the way. (Though...I'll always be an old man and tell you to try new things that I personally enjoy...I do that all the time!)

In this case, there's nothing really wrong with not wanting a humanoid/human character when most of the DLC has been presented as such, even dating back to Wii U/3DS DLC. We've had 2 DLC characters that aren't just straight up humans.

That said, the discussion becomes nuanced when paired with perceived likelihood. This can also be seen with not only a selection of characters among fan requests, but the industry as a whole. Since the 90's and early 2000's, there seems (at least to me) that there was a shift somewhat away from cartoony characters and more toward realism- this is part of why, the way I see it, much of the modern industry has realistic graphics and characters.

Off the top of my head (and this is clearly not every character ever):

Cartoony "cereal mascot" characters:
-Crash
-Bubsy
-Rayman
-Spyro
-Bomberman
-Conker
-Ratchet & Clank
-Ty
-Sly Cooper
-Amaterasu
-Geno
-Bandanna Waddle Dee
-Dixie Kong
-a Pokemon
etc...

Humanoid "realistically shaped" characters:
-Dante
-2B
-Neku Sakuraba
-Bravely Default
-Heihachi
-Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell
-Kratos
-Master Chief
-Travis Touchdown
-Monster Hunter
-Phoenix Wright
-Sol Badguy
-Tracer
( I could go on for...awhile)

So what's my point? The point is that, based on an inference of probability after process of elimination (so characters that are either disconfirmed or not very likely) the amount of cartoony characters in the industry (especially those in contention for Smash) is fairly restricted compared to the many realistic characters. This isn't to say they're "impossible" or something, but I think if you place things into the Fighter Pass model, some of the characters just seem to fit it better than others on a variety of measurements that aren't art style. That may be seen as an opinion, which is fine, but based on how they've been handled I think it makes sense.

My point is, the pool of realistic, realizable characters in Smash is far larger than substantial cartoony ones are. At best for cartoony characters, you've got Crash, Bandanna Dee, Pokemon, Dixie Kong, Amaterasu, Rayman and Geno. Each of the others has something that holds them back or makes them essentially a "long shot". For humanoid, the amount of potentially eligible characters seems to really blow cartoony characters out of the water.

This isn't meant to suggest cartoony characters won't happen. This is mainly to point out the ratio of character styles as they exist in the industry (or existed) and their context, and to give somewhat of an explanation as to why we've gotten more and more realistic fighters as DLC.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Outside of certain Pokémon that would never happen and Sony-owned characters who would also probably never happen, I think the amount of non-humanoid cartoon animal characters I'd want in Smash are like...Crash, Frogger, and Waluigi.

Pretty much every other character I'd be interested in is like, a person.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the topic as its presented is rather interesting. There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting a particular character over another, whether 1st party, 3rd party, humanoid, cereal mascot, male, female, sword user, fist fighter, etc... Everybody has their own gaming experiences, and therefore has forged connections with along the way. (Though...I'll always be an old man and tell you to try new things that I personally enjoy...I do that all the time!)

In this case, there's nothing really wrong with not wanting a humanoid/human character when most of the DLC has been presented as such, even dating back to Wii U/3DS DLC. We've had 2 DLC characters that aren't just straight up humans.

That said, the discussion becomes nuanced when paired with perceived likelihood. This can also be seen with not only a selection of characters among fan requests, but the industry as a whole. Since the 90's and early 2000's, there seems (at least to me) that there was a shift somewhat away from cartoony characters and more toward realism- this is part of why, the way I see it, much of the modern industry has realistic graphics and characters.

Off the top of my head (and this is clearly not every character ever):

Cartoony "cereal mascot" characters:
-Crash
-Bubsy
-Rayman
-Spyro
-Bomberman
-Conker
-Ratchet & Clank
-Ty
-Sly Cooper
-Amaterasu
-Geno
-Bandanna Waddle Dee
-Dixie Kong
-a Pokemon
etc...

Humanoid "realistically shaped" characters:
-Dante
-2B
-Neku Sakuraba
-Bravely Default
-Heihachi
-Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell
-Kratos
-Master Chief
-Travis Touchdown
-Monster Hunter
-Phoenix Wright
-Sol Badguy
-Tracer
( I could go on for...awhile)

So what's my point? The point is that, based on an inference of probability after process of elimination (so characters that are either disconfirmed or not very likely) the amount of cartoony characters in the industry (especially those in contention for Smash) is fairly restricted compared to the many realistic characters. This isn't to say they're "impossible" or something, but I think if you place things into the Fighter Pass model, some of the characters just seem to fit it better than others on a variety of measurements that aren't art style. That may be seen as an opinion, which is fine, but based on how they've been handled I think it makes sense.

My point is, the pool of realistic, realizable characters in Smash is far larger than substantial cartoony ones are. At best for cartoony characters, you've got Crash, Bandanna Dee, Pokemon, Dixie Kong, Amaterasu, Rayman and Geno. Each of the others has something that holds them back or makes them essentially a "long shot". For humanoid, the amount of potentially eligible characters seems to really blow cartoony characters out of the water.

This isn't meant to suggest cartoony characters won't happen. This is mainly to point out the ratio of character styles as they exist in the industry (or existed) and their context, and to give somewhat of an explanation as to why we've gotten more and more realistic fighters as DLC.
You're right but it's funny that your cartoony list is longer than your realistic list.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Outside of certain Pokémon that would never happen and Sony-owned characters who would also probably never happen, I think the amount of non-humanoid cartoon animal characters I'd want in Smash are like...Crash, Frogger, and Waluigi.

Hey now....cereal mascots are people too!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Damn Waluigi getting stripped of his basic human rights.
He don't need them, he's an eldritch abomination

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

-Waluigi is not a person

Why ya gotta do my boy like that? 😔

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Its actually interesting looking at my most wanteds in the context of this discussion.

Elma and Tifa are both realistic humanoids
Crash is a straight up cereal mascot
And Midna...can be both
How many people with light blue skin do you know? This is talking about true form Midna, mind you. Not Elma.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Not just any anime swordsman, a blue haired anime swordsman.
Chaingrabbing intensifies.

People always bring up cereal mascots, but never bring up one of the better ones:

Ahem.

Notice the bottom left: "A Subsidiary of the Quaker Oats Company". So we have an actual cereal company who produced video games. A quick reminder, Quaker Oats was acquired by PepsiCo in 2001. That means that Pepsiman is indirectly a cereal mascot by association. It all strenghens Pepsiman's case for Smash. :4pacman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom