• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No Life Will Change with Joker despite the song being the one they used for his reveal
Also, Overture is only a victory fanfare even though they used it in Hero's reveal trailer.

Dragapult gets dismissed quite often, and I'm not sure I understand why, especially when Toxtricity gets a ton of discussion.

At worst, Dragapult should be considered to be in the same position as Toxtricity. Both haven't really seen a whole lot of promotion from Game Freak, but Dragapult and Toxtricity are the first and second most popular Pokemon from Gen 8 respectively.
I personally think Dragapult looks kinda dumb so I wouldn't be entirely thrilled by it, and since I don't see it brought up as much as Toxtricity, I didn't know it was this popular. If it is super popular than I'd say it'd probably be a pretty good pick.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
While you could argue this for singles where it's in OU while Cinderace only JUST got banned to OU, VGC is a different story
Rillaboom is genuinely great in both official and unofficial formats yet I mostly see it get dismissed because "ew starter ew grass 'meme' they should not count"
I'd probably laugh if Rillaboom got in. Literally the first grass starter since :154: to not be my favorite of the generation, and that's the one to get in.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd probably laugh if Rillaboom got in. Literally the first grass starter since :154: to not be my favorite of the generation, and that's the one to get in.
A lot of people here really seem to dislike Rillaboom. I'm not one of those people. In fact I think he's the best of the starter designs by far. Inteleon looks pretty gangly to me and Cinderace looks incredibly generic to the point where if it had appeared in some sort of fantasy sports anime instead, nobody would say it looks like a Pokémon.

At the end of the day though we gotta acknowledge that the only bad choices are these abominations:
1597354458872.png
1597354473792.png
1597354515278.png

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
A lot of people here really seem to dislike Rillaboom. I'm not one of those people. In fact I think he's the best of the starter designs by far. Inteleon looks pretty gangly to me and Cinderace looks incredibly generic to the point where if it had appeared in some sort of fantasy sports anime, nobody would say it looks like a Pokémon.

At the end of the day though we gotta acknowledge that the only bad choices are these abominations:
View attachment 282160View attachment 282161View attachment 282162
Excuse you, I had a Stonjourner on my team for the express purpose of one-shotting Leon's stupid Charizard, and it did not disappoint me.

And Eiscue meanwhile is just baby.

D

Deleted member

A lot of people here really seem to dislike Rillaboom. I'm not one of those people. In fact I think he's the best of the starter designs by far. Inteleon looks pretty gangly to me and Cinderace looks incredibly generic to the point where if it had appeared in some sort of fantasy sports anime instead, nobody would say it looks like a Pokémon.

I love Cinderace and I think Rillaboom is cool. I don't hate his design, but I jsut like the sleek fire bunny a lot more. There are plenty from Sword/Shield that I think would be good other than starters though. The abominations you listed are not among them....though Rolycoly's final evolution is pretty epic and I'd be totally be behind its inclusion lol.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not keen on the idea of a Pokemon newcomer at all, but it does seem the most likely to me. It's kinda hard to imagine us getting two fighter passes and no Pokemon content. Not to mention we didn't get any new Pokemon stages in Ultimate.

The only exception I could see is if Sakurai decides to use one of those remaining three stage slots to add a gen 8 stage with some gen 8 music. However we don't know yet if Sakurai will even do anything with those remaining three stage spots.

I think I'd be ok with Rillaboom. (Inteleon too but that's not going to happen) Urshifu or Cinderace, I really wouldn't be happy with them. Cinderace is definitely my least favourite fire starter. I think I'd be more disappointed in Cinderace becoming playable than I was in Incineroar. (and that was pretty darn disappointed considering I vastly preferred Decidueye and Primarina)

So in conclusion, Rillaboom for Pokemon rep or bust.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

You are wrong, Eiscue is perfect

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Excuse you, I had a Stonjourner on my team for the express purpose of one-shotting Leon's stupid Charizard, and it did not disappoint me.
Well good for it, but I cannot suspend my disbelief and believe that that thing is a living creature, and I can suspend my disbelief for a living creature who's main defense is to explode and die.

And Eiscue meanwhile is just baby.
You are wrong, Eiscue is perfect
Eiscue is literally just a penguin with an ice cube on it's head. And then when you hit it, it becomes a penguin with the head of an Angry Bird. I hate it for the same reason I really don't like Bewear: There's simple, and then there's ideas that need a little more time in the oven.

They're not even majestic like Dewgong or something. They're just...there from a visual standpoint.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Missed it by a while ago, but I did want to answer a question someone posed on here

For why Mario doesn't get as much flack for Overrepresentation but Pokemon and Fire Emblem Do?

I think it's because the Candidates for Pokemon and Fire Emblem tend to be characters that are seen in a more promotional light, and not necessarily what people want. Pokemon has 8 Gens currently, but ever since Brawl with Pokemon Trainer, they have never went back a Gen to Add in a Pokemon. I think it's like, if your not a fan of some of the pokemon this gen, or your favorite pokemon is from a previous Gen you're not gonna be as satisfied when it seems the only potential candidates are the newest Gen

Same with Fire Emblem. It's been the newest Game only most of the time. Even despite the fact that he's an echo, I think Chrom did get some positive reception because you could definitely tell people wanted him in and such, and wasn't just added as an "Ad" Character to people

and that's what's been happening with Mario and continue to happen with Mario. Mario Characters usually get in on Fan requests and such like that. There is Plant but he is the Weird character and he's also the most controversial character. I think that's why people don't mind as much when Geno and Waluigi are requested for FP2, because they are seen in the light as being added in for love of the fans and such

And I'm not saying People can't like the newer characters added from Pokemon and Fire Emblem, it's just that it might be a harder sale.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think I'd be ok with Rillaboom. (Inteleon too but that's not going to happen) Urshifu or Cinderace, I really wouldn't be happy with them. Cinderace is definitely my least favourite fire starter. I think I'd be more disappointed in Cinderace becoming playable than I was in Incineroar. (and that was pretty darn disappointed considering I vastly preferred Decidueye and Primarina)
Honestly, Inteleon seems to have more going in its favor than Rillaboom. The anime is almost forty episodes in, and Grookey hasn't even been seen, let alone Rillaboom. Cinderace is more marketable than either of them though.

Also, if Sakurai ever got the chance to see how Rillaboom stacked up against other Gen 8 Pokemon in terms of popularity, I doubt he'd feel comfortable adding it. Rillaboom is significantly less popular than Inteleon and Cinderace.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Eiscue is literally a penguin with an ice cube on it's head but also looks like it's ready to play pool.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I still think Final Battle from Banjo-Kazooie is the biggest music omission in all of Smash
Banjo-Kazooie's Smash Soundtrack is very solid all around, Especially Grant Kirkhope's remix of Spiral Mountain which is the best one, But definitely seemed like a missed opportunity to not get the final boss theme from the 1st game as it seems the most fitting for Smash and "Hag 1" the final boss theme from Banjo-Tooie would have been cool to have in there too.

Banjo-Kazooie: Final Battle

Banjo-Tooie: Hag 1

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Well good for it, but I cannot suspend my disbelief and believe that that thing is a living creature, and I can suspend my disbelief for a living creature who's main defense is to explode and die.

Eiscue is literally just a penguin with an ice cube on it's head. And then when you hit it, it becomes a penguin with the head of an Angry Bird. I hate it for the same reason I really don't like Bewear: There's simple, and then there's ideas that need a little more time in the oven.

They're not even majestic like Dewgong or something. They're just...there from a visual standpoint.
EaCms7EVAAAAh_x.jpeg.jpg

Am I hearing someone talk **** about my boy Bewear.

(Don't take this seriously it's a joke.)

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Are you Implying that Penguins aren't perfect?

This is a joke

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Speaking of missing songs, there’s a severe lack of Wario tracks outside of Ware.
Not gonna lie, when I saw Wario World I assumed this was gonna be the pause menu theme. I thank you for not subjecting our ears to that.

EDIT: Song's pretty neat too.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

You leave my boy Carkol alone.

He's a speedy boi who's never done anything wrong.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Honestly there's a LOT of missing songs I could go on about, and plenty of series that just have a music problem in general.

But one thing that personally gets to me is that all the second generation of Pokémon has is a meh at best medley. That's it. Like, can we at least get some rips from either the remakes or the original games? Even that much would be so much better.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You leave my boy Carkol alone.

He's a speedy boi who's never done anything wrong.
Actually, Carkol's Pokédex entries state that it makes coal, and implies that it burns this coal in order to breathe fire. This Pokémon is actively contributing to the deterioration of the Ozone Layer.

Raquaza will remember that

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly there's a LOT of missing songs I could go on about, and plenty of series that just have a music problem in general.

But one thing that personally gets to me is that all the second generation of Pokémon has is a meh at best medley. That's it. Like, can we at least get some rips from either the remakes or the original games? Even that much would be so much better.
Well now that you bring up the second generation this is definitely a tune that should be in Smash:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The absolute travesty that is Wario lacking any non-Ware songs aside, even the Wario Ware songs included are disappointing.

Yes yes, the songs included are fantastic songs (Ashley's Theme especially), but where on earth is "Body Rock"? "Tomorrow Hill"? "Four Seasons"? So many good tracks denied. :drsad:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I just want Pokefloats back
I really miss stuff like this happening:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was purely down to unfortunate circumstances - sure, Gen 2 was current when Melee released... but Melee's stage music was practically one song per stage with one hidden if you're lucky.* Thus the Battle theme medley in Melee was the only second gen track (out of three). And the later Smash games tied in with later gens in terms of music (Gen 3 / 4 with Brawl, 5 / 6 with Sm4sh and SuMo with Ultimate).

I do agree that the second gen's music should get more attention, but this is the hand dealt.

*Probably due to the extremely tight development schedule Melee had.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I mean, I've already made my list, but to pick one pokemon track in particular, it's no contest:

As an aside: I was always a tacit Heihachi supported, since he seemed like a good fit. Now that the Mii costume's back and a Tekken rep doesn't seem likely, I think this is the greatest disappointment from his absence, more than Heihachi himself:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Last edited:
I'm curious if someone could sell me on a Valkyria Chronicles character. I've played the demo for 4 and own the game (haven't played it, waiting until I finish Dark Souls), and I've seen a couple people mention it as a series we could see a fighter from. I'm just not sure how it would work or how they could differentiate the character from Snake (assuming they wouldn't put the character into a tank).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd at least take more Mii Costume bundles.

So many 3rd parties but only the indies were willing to play ball.
honestly if our next costume that comes with a song is another indie I wouldn't mind... as long as it's not a friggin Gunner again. Gunvolt is the only exception to this

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm curious if someone could sell me on a Valkyria Chronicles character. I've played the demo for 4 and own the game (haven't played it, waiting until I finish Dark Souls), and I've seen a couple people mention it as a series we could see a fighter from. I'm just not sure how it would work or how they could differentiate the character from Snake (assuming they wouldn't put the character into a tank).
Unless the sequels really mix things up, that's another series where the best choice would not be the main playable character... Unless they can make a tournament legal Landmaster.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Snake can't go super saiyan
CHO_Alicia3.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom