• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They can edit the words easily too like with Mass Destruction
I was thinking that's what they'd do if they did have a vocal version of Black Tar. The strikethroughed lyrics are what I think they'd cut, which is about half of the song, but the song is longer than most so it does balance out in that regard.

If we're talking about missing music...

I still can't believe SSB4 had an Event Match where you fight 2 Wario's on the Wii Fit stage. It literally speaks for itself and yet Body Rock is still MIA to this day.
People keep talking about missing Wario series music, but fail to mention that there is only a single song from the Wario Land series. smh

Calamitas

Smash Champion
We interrupt your music discussion to bring you THIS:
Mhm, August sure is busy so far. We got an announcement of Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and. . . nothing else.
But hey, still two more weeks to go, so whomst knoweth.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
To give the benefit of the doubt, COVID-19 is screwing up literally everyone’s plans so maybe Nintendo shadowdropped Pikmin 3 Deluxe to draw in more interest

and it’s obvious the Bakugan thing in that one presentation was some manner of sponsorship
It's precisely because of the pandemic that I don't think Nintendo has anything huge coming presentation wise. The company has been clearly struggling big time in adapting given their own personal philosophies and company infrastructure, and all of their recent news output has been focused on single titles, small DLC updates, and and really low-key stuff. I just don't see them out of the blue coming out with a big news dump.

Again, everything's fluid at the moment and Nintendo tends to lean towards the weird and unpredictable, but for me personally, I just don't see anything on a huge scale happening right now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
C A L M B E F O R E T H E S T O R M

i think these two weeks of silence were that "calm"... if so then HOLD ON TO UR BUTTS HERE COMES THE STORM
I'm gonna feel so bad for everyone if there is indeed a direct and it's just as underwhelming as the previous ones. Everyone's gonna be so let down.

D

Deleted member

Is this the part where I bring up card games to get you to use your niche?
That's not exactly what I meant but it works.
On the off chance a card game character were to get into smash (that means never) you bet your ass I'll be here in 2 seconds flat to explain every little detail about said character, to the many people unfamiliar with em. It's not particularly helpful now but it'll come in handy someday in regards to Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was thinking that's what they'd do if they did have a vocal version of Black Tar. The strikethroughed lyrics are what I think they'd cut, which is about half of the song, but the song is longer than most so it does balance out in that regard.

People keep talking about missing Wario series music, but fail to mention that there is only a single song from the Wario Land series. smh
I was thinking they'd leave Black Tar untouched and add the descriptor "Mild Lyrics" to the ESRB rating, but it seems they're trying to avoid that, so...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was thinking they'd leave Black Tar untouched and add the descriptor "Mild Lyrics" to the ESRB rating, but it seems they're trying to avoid that, so...
Is gd considered mild language? I kinda assumed it would be considered strong language since it's quite offensive to certain religions.

Anyway, I was also assuming that the song's themes were also a little too dark for the game, which accounts for a lot of the edits I made.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is gd considered mild language? I kinda assumed it would be considered strong language since it's quite offensive to certain religions.

Anyway, I was also assuming that the song's themes were also a little too dark for the game, which accounts for a lot of the edits I made.
No, but "damn" in Mass Destruction called for an edit apparently

i played a lot of DDR as a teen and I saw why it had "Mild Lyrics" in the rating as some lyrics had "damn" or "hell" (one even deadass got away with the F word but the instruments were loud enough to mostly drown it out)

themes probably dont matter as much as certain words

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Back on the Pokémon discussion

I can see either Cinderace or Toxi being the Gen 8rep. Both seem pretty popular to use
You mean casually? I haven't seen anything from Toxtricity in a competitive setting.

themes probably dont matter as much as certain words
Not as far as the age rating goes (unless it's suggestive themes. lol) but I think it would matter in regards to image. Super Smash Bros. is a game about friendly competition where characters beat each other up, but nobody actually gets all that hurt. Something like Black Tar, the song that mentions being forced to kill your friends and watching them die slow deaths would undermine that, and I'm not sure Nintendo would be ok with that.

EDIT: Kinda off topic, but the "suggestive themes" warning doesn't make sense to me. Like, Super Smash Bros. Brawl has suggestive themes (because Zero Suit Samus I guess?) but Paper Mario Color Splash doesn't even though the Plunger Think Card exists.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Toxtricity has popularity, but I don't know how much else it has going for it. As of now, Game Freak hasn't done much to promote it, and it's Gigantamax form was quietly released a few months ago.

We'll see though. Maybe if the exact Pokemon wasn't locked in immediately, Sakurai was able to see some of the response to Toxtricity.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My thoughts on the Gen 8 Pokémon:

Realistic Choices:
Rillaboom-Rillaboom would only be added if the drummer motif spoke to Sakurai the most.
Cinderace-As the fan favorite of the hot new starters, Cinderace probably gets the first pass.
Intelleon-Intelleon could have a leg up over Cinderace if they focus on it's built in character arc in the anime.
Calyrex-Literally just here for promoting Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Sheild's DLC, and I think it's the least likely by far.

Good Choices:
Toxtricity-Toxitricity has the popularity and the unique design space to make a great fighter.
Dragapult-I think this is more of a competitive darling than anything else, but as the first ghostly fighter (and combined with it's baby missiles), it could have some interesting mechanics and would definitely stand out from the other Pokémon as well as the other characters in general.
Zacian & Zamazenta-These two could have a good synergy together, though the fact that there's two of them might make them a bit unfeasible. At the very least, they'd have to be Semi-Clones of each other.

Interesting Choices:
Corviknight-Not sure many people would be interested in twilight wings over here, but an avian fighter would certainly shake things up a bit.
Orbeetle-I'd love to see Sakurai go ham with the U.F.O. angle.
Falinx-I would have said these guys wouldn't work, but someone made Snom in Rivals of Aether, so I firmly believe anything could work if you tried hard enough. Not sure how "No Retreat" would work in Super Smash Bros. though...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My thoughts on the Gen 8 Pokémon:

Realistic Choices:
Rillaboom-Rillaboom would only be added if the drummer motif spoke to Sakurai the most.
Cinderace-As the fan favorite of the hot new starters, Cinderace probably gets the first pass.
Intelleon-Intelleon could have a leg up over Cinderace if they focus on it's built in character arc in the anime.
Calyrex-Literally just here for promoting Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Sheild's DLC, and I think it's the least likely by far.

Good Choices:
Toxtricity-Toxitricity has the popularity and the unique design space to make a great fighter.
Dragapult-I think this is more of a competitive darling than anything else, but as the first ghostly fighter (and combined with it's baby missiles), it could have some interesting mechanics and would definitely stand out from the other Pokémon as well as the other characters in general.
Zacian & Zamazenta-These two could have a good synergy together, though the fact that there's two of them might make them a bit unfeasible. At the very least, they'd have to be Semi-Clones of each other.

Interesting Choices:
Corviknight-Not sure many people would be interested in twilight wings over here, but an avian fighter would certainly shake things up a bit.
Orbeetle-I'd love to see Sakurai go ham with the U.F.O. angle.
Falinx-I would have said these guys wouldn't work, but someone made Snom in Rivals of Aether, so I firmly believe anything could work if you tried hard enough. Not sure how "No Retreat" would work in Super Smash Bros. though...
huh, first time i saw someone actually consider Calyrex. interesting

no Urshifu though? I'm not backing him personally but a lot of people do

CureParfait

Smash Ace
For Gen 8 reps I think Cinderace or Intelleon is the most likely ones especially if they chose a starter again

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
-I think this is more of a competitive darling than anything else
While you could argue this for singles where it's in OU while Cinderace only JUST got banned to OU, VGC is a different story
Rillaboom is genuinely great in both official and unofficial formats yet I mostly see it get dismissed because "ew starter ew grass 'meme' they should not count"

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'd post all the tracks I think huge missed opportunities.

But I don't want to bog this thread down in a bunch of DK Tropical Freeze tracks, Modern Kirby tracks, and dozens upon dozens of Final Fantasy tracks.

And Opposum already brought up Twilight of the Gods and God-shattering Star from FE.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, I would add Ledian in Smash if I could get some ora-oras out of it.

That Pokemon's design is so good. It's a four-armed sentai beetle.

If only it was actually good in battle.
As a bonus, you'd also get everyone's reaction to Ledian being as tall or taller than Lucario.

huh, first time i saw someone actually consider Calyrex. interesting

no Urshifu though? I'm not backing him personally but a lot of people do
I think Urshifu's time for being a promotional pick has passed, and its chances with it since the Crown Tundra DLC will probably be out before Challenger Pack #7.

I think people don't speculate on Calyrex because they don't care about it. It's pretty much the only new legendary Pokémon from the Crown Tundra that people aren't talking about from what I've seen.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While you could argue this for singles where it's in OU while Cinderace only JUST got banned to OU, VGC is a different story
Rillaboom is genuinely great in both official and unofficial formats yet I mostly see it get dismissed because "ew starter ew grass 'meme' they should not count"
Not entirely certain if you trying to tell me I'm wrong about Dragapult, but then went of on a tangent about Cinderace and Rillaboom or just took my quote out of context...

I'm not the greatest judge of certain Pokémon's popularity, but when I see people talk about Dragapult it's usually about the competitive scene rather than people liking it overall, so that's why I said what I did.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Not entirely certain if you trying to tell me I'm wrong about Dragapult, but then went of on a tangent about Cinderace and Rillaboom or just took my quote out of context...

I'm not the greatest judge of certain Pokémon's popularity, but when I see people talk about Dragapult it's usually about the competitive scene rather than people liking it overall, so that's why I said what I did.
Dragapult is pretty popular regardless of competitive viability. It was the highest ranking Galar Pokemon in the Pokemon of the Year poll, barely not making it to the top 10.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, I would add Ledian in Smash if I could get some ora-oras out of it.

Didn't Black 2/White 2 have some movie thing involving a talking Ledian? Maybe we could use that one.
crap

then maybe uhhhh.... a general ghost themed Spirit event AND HERE'S GOOIGI JUST BECAUSE
Goo-themed Spirit Event. Take it or leave it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Gamefreak, if you give Ledian an evolution I will never not get a new Pokemon game

Gamefreak please save my boy from irrelavancy

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wait. I knew Lucario was short, but...
Wow.

And I just learned the bug got cut from Sword and Shield. Can't catch a break.
Ledian is 4' 7''. Not many people are that short, but that still means that it could be the size of a human adult.
Wow indeed.

Also if you were curious, Lucario is 3' 11'', which is really short. It's also the same size as Vivillon...yeah.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Toxtricity has popularity, but I don't know how much else it has going for it. As of now, Game Freak hasn't done much to promote it, and it's Gigantamax form was quietly released a few months ago.

We'll see though. Maybe if the exact Pokemon wasn't locked in immediately, Sakurai was able to see some of the response to Toxtricity.
There's a few things I can see going for Toxi with moveset

• musical/sound based attacks (Boom Burst, Overdrive, Metal Sound, etc).Hell throw in a brief guitar type attacks
  • throw in some Electric and Posion based attacks. We haven't seen a Posion move yet. Make him play dirty with Belch and Acid Spray
  • Pretty popular when it first came out. One of the few non-starters and legendaries to do so. Would join Lucario, Pichu, and Jigglypuff in that trend

SNEKeater

Smash Master
cough

As for music exclusions, the most notable one to me after FF7 is every theme involving this character
:ultdarksamus:
Seriously they could have just added her battle theme from MP2 or 3, no remix needed

The only explanation for not adding her song is like they didn't even knew Dark Samus had her own battle theme lol

Speaking of missing music, Fire Emblem is missing some bangers. Twilight of the Gods, Divine Decree (Ablaze), Legend of the Divine Dragon, Disturbance in Agustria, Dark Emperor Hardin, Beauty is a Mad Mistress, God Shattering Star, Tearing Shadows, and Truth, Despair, and Hope are all absent.
Twilight of the Gods is one of the omissions that I won't forgive.
Not only that but Fates music representation being just Lost in Thoughts All Alone x5 pisses me off.

Oh, we're talking about music choices that aren't in Smash when they should be? I've got one.
Yeah, I know there's presumably legal issues with this one, but I'd still want it in anyway even if it'll never happen.
A remix without lyrics could work, I think?
But yeah, it should be there. Also Moon River from 2, which I actually prefer over Fly Me To The Moon.

Like, we all have different tastes and having the perfect soundtrack is impossible, and while maybe it seems wrong to complain about Ultimate's music when the game has an already big selection of music, I don't know, I believe there are certainly some very strange decisions:
  • Tropical Freeze barely has music in Smash, when in my opinion has the best OST of the series
  • No Xenoblade X music
  • Street Fighter music beyond SF2? Hello? This hurts me more because besides a few tracks I never was a big fan of SF2's soundtrack
  • Dark Samus not having one of her battle themes, but we have the multiplayer song of Prime 2... which is a very VERY RANDOM pick for the game lmao
  • FE Fates selection being... questionable
  • Certain subseries barely having music, like Mario RPGs
  • No Life Will Change with Joker despite the song being the one they used for his reveal
  • Also P5. Final boss theme? Nah, better put the atmospheric song that plays after the actual battle, which doesn't really fit Smash.
  • Isaac Battle Theme not being there while it's the most iconic song of Golden Sun

And more. I know some songs won't make it because licensing issues and all of that, but I really feel there are strange things with the music selection.

Also Sakurai failed us when he decided to not add this banger with Terry.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Dragapult gets dismissed quite often, and I'm not sure I understand why, especially when Toxtricity gets a ton of discussion.

At worst, Dragapult should be considered to be in the same position as Toxtricity. Both haven't really seen a whole lot of promotion from Game Freak, but Dragapult and Toxtricity are the first and second most popular Pokemon from Gen 8 respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom