• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that with FP1 they try to cater different audiences..

Joker - playstation audience (mainline Personas are PS exclusive so far) or people who don't necessarily have to like nintendo consoles
Hero - Dragon Quest is one of the 5 most selling japanese IPs worldwide, so he caters for "everyone audience" .
Banjo-Kazooie: Hardcore smash audience (us!) and maybe some nostalgic N64 fans.
Terry: I know that he still appears nowdays but Fatal Fury/KOF got their huge popularity on early/mid 90's, so I think he caters for the "old/lapsed/nostalgic" audience (gamers +25)
Byleth: Modern nintendo gamers who likes Switch titles.

FP1 has give them very good results, so I'm curious of the direction for FP2, Min Min is similar to Byleth, she caters modern Nintendo audience as being from an early life Switch title.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Joker - playstation audience (mainline Personas are PS exclusive so far) or people who don't necessarily have to like nintendo consoles
Hero - Dragon Quest is one of the 5 most selling japanese IPs worldwide, so he caters for "everyone audience" .
Terry: I know that he still appears nowdays but Fatal Fury/KOF got their huge popularity on early/mid 90's, so I think he caters for the "old/lapsed/nostalgic" audience (gamers +25)

FP1 has give them very good results, so I'm curious of the direction for FP2, Min Min is similar to Byleth, she caters modern Nintendo audience as being from an early life Switch title.
Okay, new discussion idea: how about we try to predict the rest of the pass based on this setup? Like you said, Min Min basically fills Byleth's role (appealing to modern Nintendo/Switch fans), so that would leave:

* A character who appeals to non-Nintendo fans
* A character who comes from a massive franchise (doesn't have to be Japanese, but it would probably help)
* A character for hardcore Smash fans
* A character who could be considered nostalgic and/or niche

Obviously, there's no way of knowing if this pattern will keep up, but it would be fun to try and figure out. Although I don't think we have anything to base the final character on, so that may be an issue.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, new discussion idea: how about we try to predict the rest of the pass based on this setup? Like you said, Min Min basically fills Byleth's role (appealing to modern Nintendo/Switch fans), so that would leave:

* A character who comes from a massive franchise (doesn't have to be Japanese, but it would probably help)

Obviously, there's no way of knowing if this pattern will keep up, but it would be fun to try and figure out. Although I don't think we have anything to base the final character on, so that may be an issue.
I’ll try:

-Crash Bandicoot
-Sora
-Bandana Dee
-Sakura Shinguji

cashregister9

Smash Hero
* A character who comes from a massive franchise (doesn't have to be Japanese, but it would probably help. )
-Crash
-Sakura Amamiya/Shinguji (Sakura Wars has an anime, a major stage show in japan and 6 games as well as spinoffs, drama CDs etc)
-Sora
-Estelle Bright

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
- Carl Johnson
- Leif
- Sandbag
- Pepsiman

Made it as cursed as possible. Or blessed, depending on how you see it. :222:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Well I'm just going to put in quote my old message on that topic because it's a bit long and I don't want to write basically the same stuff twice:

I'm going to design a pass with each character being a counterpart to the first pass (Min min is Byleth counterpart)

-Joker = 2B: A character from a very recent and critically acclaimed games. Both franchises where pretty niche until their recent release (Persona wasn't that popular before 5 and Drakengard/Nier wasn't that popular before Automata). Both 2b and Joker main game don't appear on Nintendo consoles, but they still have Nintendo apparences through spin off or cameo.

-Hero = Arle: Both Dragon quest and Puyo puyo are huge franchise in Japan with a very big history and constant releases, but was never that popular in the West. Both are pretty closely affiliated with Nintendo (but are not 100% exclusives). Both franchises also have a lot of release on Switch.

-Banjo = Gex Crash Bandicoot: Both 90's 3d mascot with huge fan demand. Not really anything else to add to this one.

-Terry = Adol Christin: Both SNK and Falcolm are old japanese video game company that used to be huge, but over time were kind of forgotten. Both YS and Fatal fury are pretty big franchises of their repective genre but are always overshadow by other fighting games or rpg. Also Falcolm don't have any Smash representation so maybe they could do something like SNK and put music from Dragon slayer and Legend of heroes as well.

Droodle

Smash Lord

I think we will end up seeing more "modern" characters (as in popular post-2000's) in this pass. People often forget but back in an interview in 2016 Sakurai stated that "Gamers from the [Mega-Man] generation probably already have all the characters they could want." So it's pretty clear that Sakurai was satisfied with characters from that time period. However despite this, in Ultimate we still ended up with a lot of the 80's-90's stars with Ridley, Terry, K. Rool, Banjo, Simon, and Richter all primarily being for an "older" audience. Ridley and Terry may be pushing it a little though, as they still get games to introduce newer audiences but I'm still sure that Metroid/SNK's audience is mostly older players anyways. In comparison Isabelle, Inkling, Incineroar, Joker, Byleth, and Min-Min are likely for a "newer" generation. Hero, Pirahna Plant, and Daisy are pretty much for every generation of gamers; Ken could also fit here, or with the "older" generation.

At this point outside of characters like Ryu Hayabusa and Geno; we're running out of characters that appeal mostly to "older" generations. Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo were pretty much the last 3 big requests from the 90's era (although again, I realize Ridley probably has tons of fans from after that too). That combined with Sakurai's statements, makes me think that this pass will likely be 2000's/2010's+ dominated. That's not to say the characters themselves can't be from the 80's/90's just that there are probably a lot of "newer" fans of the characters; so characters like Crash could appeal to both "older" and "newer" generations.

Interview in question: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't think that Smash will ever "cater primarily" to younger people because Nintendo knows the audience better than that. No doubt, tons of kids play and own Smash and are worth bringing to the table if they develop into lifelong Nintendo fans with an openness to all kinds of games. You know who else they're really interested in? Adults with disposable income and tons of exploitable nostalgia who can not only spend money on Smash and all its subsequent DLC, but also more money in general across all kinds of games on their system.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Didn't we get mostly post 2000s content in the first pass outside of two characters? Hell strictly speaking, only one character in the first pass was done with a pre-2000 game in mind (Banjo-Kazooie). jury's out on Terry, he is still gettin games unlike the poor bear so i don't know if to count him as old or new.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Trying to make it with characters that I like or wouldn't mind

-Artorias (or anyone else from Dark Souls or any other Souls game)
-Master Chief
-Geno
-Adeleine (or Cpt Syrup)

(EDIT: for some reason this part of the post disappeared... now it's fixed)

Made it as cursed as possible. Or blessed, depending on how you see it. :222:
Well in this case...

-Iota/Atoi (Tearaway Unfolded) (I know nothing about this game I just searched for some random Sony exclusive)
-Farmer (Farming Simulator)
-Fighting Polygon
-Snake (the Nokia 3310 one)

Bonus character - WTF pick:
-QWOP

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

• Reimu Hakurei, since Touhou isn't associated with Nintendo much. In addition, it's actually really big in Japan, and would probably be the best choice for representing indies while introducing it to a new demographic... But I've already said all that before, haven't I?
  • A League of Legends character (Ahri, I guess?), which is probably one of the biggest games that gets passed over in speculation. Plus, it would make everyone so mad for so many reasons. Could probably be swapped with Reimu in terms of positions.
  • Isaac. I'd usually go for Bandana Dee, but he actually appears in modern games; Isaac doesn't have that, and I want him to have another chance at life.
  • Klonoa. Please, let a man dream, will you? I want to dream.

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't we get mostly post 2000s content in the first pass outside of two characters? Hell strictly speaking, only one character in the first pass was done with a pre-2000 game in mind (Banjo-Kazooie). jury's out on Terry, he is still gettin games unlike the poor bear so i don't know if to count him as old or new.
I'm not sure if it was intentional per-se, but it's honestly not that surprising if it were.

Didn't 4 of the 5 characters all have games that had been released within the last 2 years at that point?

Persona 5 was only a few years old and was getting an expanded version in the near future

DQ11S was a big title for the Switch and they never wanted you to not realize it

SNK was crossing over into literally everything at the time and iirc, the last KOF wasn't that old

And 3 Houses was still very new

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if it was intentional per-se, but it's honestly not that surprising if it were.

Didn't 4 of the 5 characters all have games that had been released within the last 2 years at that point?

Persona 5 was only a few years old and was getting an expanded version in the near future

DQ11S was a big title for the Switch and they never wanted you to not realize it

SNK was crossing over into literally everything at the time and iirc, the last KOF wasn't that old

And 3 Houses was still very new
And since Terry represents SNK as a whole, we could also count SNK Heroines and Samurai Shodown, which were even more recent.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

- Lara Croft
- Sora
- Dixie Kong
- Sakura Shinguji

Droodle

Smash Lord
Joker: Definitely newer even if Persona is a decently old series.
Hero: All the generations thanks to him featuring alts from various eras of DQ; however, he does have more content from DQ 11 thanks to his stage. So it's slightly in favor of newer.
Banjo: Definitely older.
Terry: I'm personally leaning towards him appealing to older generations of gamers just because SNK's primary advantage was the legacy they had in the 90's and that era is what made Terry an icon. While the games are still being made, I personally think that the primary audience for Terry/SNK was a older generation of gamers. I don't think Terry got in because of his popularity nowadays.
Byleth: Definitely newer even if Fire Emblem is from the 80's 90's.

So I guess if we count DQ as a series encompassing "all" generations. It was close to an even split with Banjo and Terry being more for "older" generations of gamers, and Joker and Byleth being for "newer" generations.

EDIT: Just to clarify, by "newer and older generations" I don't mean the literal age of the generations. It's more so characters that appeal to certain time-periods of gamers. So characters like 2B, Travis, Rex would primarily appeal to "newer" generations of gamers, Crash would appeal to "older and newer generations", while someone else like Geno would primarily appeal to "older generations". Obviously the line for a lot of characters isn't all that distinct, but these are just examples.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
90's, FE was a late NES title like how Kirby's Adventure was a late NES title
Funny to think that the NES was supported up until just under two years before the N64.
And I don't mean shovelware like the Wii and PS2, but official Nintendo titles.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

* KOS-MOS
* Tsubasa Oribe & Caeda
* Octoling Girl
* Yu Ayasaki

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What's with all the people talking up Sakura from Sakura Wars?

I know she's hella popular in Japan (and as of right now I plan on writing a spec essay on her), but can someone explain the sudden turnaround?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What's with all the people talking up Sakura from Sakurai Wars?

I know she's hella popular in Japan (and as of right now I plan on writing a spec essay on her), but can someone explain the sudden turnaround?
New game came out that people are actually able to play worldwide, a lot more people have been introduced to Sakura Wars as a result and want more

CornOnTheCob

Smash Rookie
In addition, a fan translation of the first game was released around the same timeframe as the Japanese release of the new game (December 15 for the fan patch, December 12 for the PS4 game)

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace

1. New game, new fans/interest. Same has happened with a lot of characters.
2. Can't really go wrong with asking for a Sega character.

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

-Crash Bandicoot
-Phoenix Wright
-Geno
-Reimu

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

The new game sold pretty well so there's now western interest in the series. And Smash has been known for taking popular Japanese RPG franchises and giving them attention on the world stage, Mother, Fire emblem, Xeno, Dragon quest, why not one more?

My only fear of the idea is that the series would become mainstream, that tends to invite quiet a number of toxic individuals that ruin things for the fans.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Cool, but you must be aware that you're in the minority in your opinions of what constitutes "good games"
I don't believe I am.

I think if you hand a G&W game to anyone not in the Smash fandom, they'll play it for two minutes and go "Okay. Can I stop now?"

And if you hand it to anyone in the Smash fandom, they'll play it for two minutes and go "Haha! So classic! ...I'm gonna stop playing now though."

And if you think there's a majority out there that thinks Ice Climbers, Gyromite or Stack-Up is good either, you're in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

One could argue that "Crash Bandicoot" checks off all of those boxes or in this case..."Crates". (Rimshot)

Only more of a reason to include him in Season 2.

Last edited:

CornOnTheCob

Smash Rookie

There can only be one.
Heck, there's a character named Masahiro Sakurai in Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. Throw him in as well.

An aside, I was just thinking about how nice it would be to get Supergiant Games' music in Smash as DLC, perhaps Red from Transistor as a Swordfighter costume?

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman

Okay. Trying not to be biased. Here are my honest predictions given these criteria:

* A character who appeals to non-Nintendo fans - Crash Bandicoot

* A character who comes from a massive franchise (doesn't have to be Japanese, but it would probably help) - Minecraft Steve/Alex

* A character for hardcore Smash fans - Geno

* A character who could be considered nostalgic and/or niche - Rayman

And since we have 5 more fighters, we'll count this last one as a whatever pick: Dixie Kong.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131

Byleth had a role? Since when? Anyways, I'll try thinking of characters that probably fit the criteria. Of course, these "predictions" will age poorly.
  • Sol Badguy? (this one seemed kind of vague so I just threw something that has little to nothing to do with Nintendo)
  • Scorpion?
  • a Smash original character
  • IDK (niche and nostalgic are terms that vary from person to person...)

New game and/or Game on Switch = they're in Smash. This happened with Bioshock, Streets of Rage, Devil May Cry, Panel de Pon, etc. The way I see it, like the afformentioned titles, Sakura Wars is just the flavor of the month.

Heoj

Smash Ace
I'd hate to make a rant here, even though this may be too small for an actual rant here, but...

I don't understand why those in the Geno thread think Geno is next as a Smash reveal? I mean, it could be anyone at all. I tried telling them to control their expectations before, but they insist on believing Geno is next, still. Why act blind to the facts and evidence against Geno? Why not try to be logical and reasonable when expecting things?
I feel like you have it completely backwards here. People think geno is next because 1. They are confident in his chances and 2. It isnt the end of the world if were wrong, i mean people have already made it pretty clear they dont mind that they have high expectations since, you know, there having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom