• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Agreed, though I could see them doing something similar with Duck Hunts side B. And that would kind of be it.

So what are people hoping for with this upcoming Direct? Personally, the Mario collection and MAYBE something Smash, if we are lucky.
Ports:
Metroid Prime Trilogy (maybe but who knows)
Xenoblade Chronicles X (next year if at all since we just got XCDE)
Subnautica (doubt it honestly)
Tomb Raider (supposedly rumoured but I guess fake, i dunno just bring Lara Croft to the Switch damnit!)

New Titles:
2D Metroid, preferably Metroid V or just something new and not a remake...but I'll take a remake if they'll give us one tbh
BotW2 news, even a miniscule piece of concept art or sumthin
Metroid Prime 4 (lol I'd be shocked if we saw this)
Monolith's new IP, though I doubt its ready for a reveal this year
Smash Character reveal, any of my most wanted characters but I'd be cool with (almost) anyone at this point

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, though I could see them doing something similar with Duck Hunts side B. And that would kind of be it.

So what are people hoping for with this upcoming Direct? Personally, the Mario collection and MAYBE something Smash, if we are lucky.
The confirmation of ARMS 2 since some people in the Smash community been shouting that game title like it meant something.

If ARMS 2 does happen, then the announcement of Splatoon 3 just to see the reaction of people now saying that ARMS is dead. Also, to see some people makes the connection that Splatoon 3 was announce on the third anniversary of Splatoon 2 (July 21, 2017).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean be real for me for one second. If Hayabusa gets in. Do you guys think I’m going to drop him after a week?

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I quoted myself but yeah, most of us speculators are going to play the character we’ve been pulling for. The competitive seen won’t do that. To be completely blunt. If they ain’t top tier they likely won’t get played.
Sorry I didn't read the name of the quoted post. But yeah it's entirely possible I'm allowing Twitter and the competitive scene to cloud my judgement since that's where the most hate I've seen from the character comes from. I still see the occasional Banjo on quickplay and in locals a year later so it's not like everyone has completely forgotten about :ultbanjokazooie:
I mean be real for me for one second. If Hayabusa gets in. Do you guys think I’m going to drop him after a week?
Nope.

I think you'll drop him after two weeks. :troll:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
That depends on wether or not you end up liking his playstyle. You can have your most requested character show up in the game but if the character has a playstyle that doesn't click with how you play, you can only do so much unless you are willing to put up with it.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Since I'm pretty casual, I just play everybody I like. Min Min, Inkling, Joker, Byleth, Isabelle, Wario, they're all some of my all time favorite characters in fiction and even if I ain't good with 'em, I adore playing as 'em.

And yeah, someone like Octolings, Kiryu, Yuri, Sora, or Steve got in? Nothing would keep me from playing them, lol.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Gonna quote myself from a couple weeks ago. While I don't expect even 90% of these to be in the Direct, I will be happy if at least two, three, or even four of these are present...
If we end up getting a Direct this month, the one thing I'm hoping for is Bayonetta 3. A trailer, some gameplay footage, some cutscene footage... just please give me a sign that that game hasn't been cancelled or stuck in development hell... preferably something more substantial than yet another "development is going smoothly" statement, which is about as reassuring as Frank Drebin standing in front of a burning building and telling everyone "Nothing to see here!".

Some other things that would be cool, in regards to just first-party stuff...
  • Them Mario remasters and ports everyone's been rumor-ing about
  • Story trailers for Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2
  • The return of one of Nintendo's dormant franchises (F-Zero, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Wario Land, Chibi-Robo, Sin & Punishment, etc.)
  • An announcement for an Astral Chain sequel
  • An announcement for more Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 DLC
  • Another Nintendo-themed Warriors game
  • And of course, the next Smash DLC character reveal (hopefully a double reveal like with Hero and Banjo)
... and then third-party stuff, which I don't know if we'll get due to Covid, but just in case...
  • Moar Switch ports...
    • Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection
    • Dragon Quest IV, V, and VI, plus HD remasters of VII, VIII, and IX
    • Dragon's Crown (or just anything from Vanillaware)
    • Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, IV: The After Years, V, and VI
    • For Honor
    • Guilty Gear Xrd
    • Nier: Automata
    • Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell
    • Samurai Warriors 3
    • Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game
    • Soulcalibur VI (with a Nintendo guest character)
    • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    • The King of Fighters XIV
    • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    • Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate
  • Some news on Shin Megami Tensei V
  • An announcement for an Octopath Traveler sequel
  • An announcement for a western release of Dragon Quest Heroes I & II
  • An announcement for a western release of Persona 5 Scramble
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 4

SKX31

Smash Master
If most Smash streamers play like this then I take back what I said. That's actually pretty awesome.
Btw this clip is six years old, does anyone knows if he still plays like this on his streams? I haven't watched M2K in ages.
AFAIK he still does sometimes, but like most competitive people he's focusing on arena 1v1s / in Melee's case, netplay 1v1s.
Casual stuff do happen with a lot of them - especially when they go for silly stuff (like choosing :ulthero: and just top-decking the menu, see who survives - or :ultgnw: Judge duels) or just go with items, but most often it's practice or online matches.

I quoted myself but yeah, most of us speculators are going to play the character we’ve been pulling for. The competitive seen won’t do that. To be completely blunt. If they ain’t top tier they likely won’t get played.
The truth is a bit more nuanced than that, even if it's generally true.

I've written about low / mid tier mains having success - especially in Ultimate's relatively balanced enviroment here. Where I talked about Ben Gold (Australian K. Rool player) and Nair- (Mexican Ridley player). Will competitive players gravitate towards the high / top tiers? Yes, not just because of the prizes involved but also because small advantages become more pronounced in that setting. Still low / mid tiers can create a lot of carnage:

2GG_GT_Ohio_-_Mystearica_(Bayonetta)_VS_F&I___BiggieCheeze_(Ganondorf)_-_Smash_Ultimate_-_Top_...gif

Yes, this was an actual tournament match.

Melee's also seen that - what with amSa singlehandedly improving opinions on Yoshi.

As for Ryu Hayabusa, as a Cloud main I could see it since Ryu might actually fit my aggressive style. I'll never drop Cloud, but I'd try him out and see how he plays - I do lack a secondary at the moment, and Ryu could fill that.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Holy ****.

The end goal was to get them in. And they did that. It would be so obnoxious if Banjo or K. Rool or Ridley fans came into this thread and ONLY talked about how “I’m so glad my favorite character is in” when other people are out here speculating and hoping for other characters. Which would you prefer?
I agree. King K. Rool was my most wanted character by far, and he is easily my most used character since Ultimate’s release. However, I still get excited over which characters are next, even though I already got my number one choice. I feel like this is because that, since Smash already has a large and varied roster, it’s always cool to see what else is in store. I may have got my end goal character in King K. Rool, but it would be pretty boring if he was the last character they added just because I got what I wanted. I want other people to be happy too, and it’s cool to see how many games can be represented in Smash. My interest in character speculation won’t die out until all of the Ultimate characters are revealed, because I love the Smash roster as a whole. My dream character becoming my main is only a piece of the whole puzzle.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Still low / mid tiers can create a lot of carnage:

There are some characters that aren't as prominent simply due to a lack of players.

I'm pretty sure :ultryu: is the least-appearing character in competitive play, despite the fact that he's a ****ing powerhouse. Ken may get you to 60 - 70% in one combo string, but Ryu can do it in just three ****ing hits. He's just as insane as his Echo counterpart. Shakanetsu is also an amazing tool.

I did :ult_terry: during the last NA Open and made it to brackets, mostly because I wasn't confident with Ryu at the time. Now I'll be ready next time.

Little Mac is my main man but damn, I know damn well he is not competitively my best bet. Ryu fills that gap for me. :p

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

First party:
- Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition (Elma for Smash tie in?) if too soon for that, maybe XCDE having Rex and Elma as guests in the challenge mode somehow
- Splatoon 2: Save Our Salmons (dlc a la Octo Expansion. Octoling for Smash to go with it??)
- the grand return of F-Zero new MP4 info
- new ACNH update info
- come on doug bowser give us mother 3 EarthBound on SNES
- Kid Icarus Uprising port?? pls the 3ds version murdered my circle pad. i like the game but do not feel like breaking the circle pad again

Third party:
- Bayo 3
- SMT V
- The World Ends With Two (Neku in Smash tie in PLEASE)

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
AFAIK he still does sometimes, but like most competitive people he's focusing on arena 1v1s / in Melee's case, netplay 1v1s.
Casual stuff do happen with a lot of them - especially when they go for silly stuff (like choosing :ulthero: and just top-decking the menu, see who survives - or :ultgnw: Judge duels) or just go with items, but most often it's practice or online matches.

The truth is a bit more nuanced than that, even if it's generally true.

I've written about low / mid tier mains having success - especially in Ultimate's relatively balanced enviroment here. Where I talked about Ben Gold (Australian K. Rool player) and Nair- (Mexican Ridley player). Will competitive players gravitate towards the high / top tiers? Yes, not just because of the prizes involved but also because small advantages become more pronounced in that setting. Still low / mid tiers can create a lot of carnage:

View attachment 278430

Yes, this was an actual tournament match.

Melee's also seen that - what with amSa singlehandedly improving opinions on Yoshi.

As for Ryu Hayabusa, as a Cloud main I could see it since Ryu might actually fit my aggressive style. I'll never drop Cloud, but I'd try him out and see how he plays.
Thanks I'll check out his VODs later. the :ulthero: and :ultgnw: duels are one of my favorite things about ultimate. Just complete utter random chaos. Wish more people did them. Also that clip is everything I love about :ultganondorf: in a nutshell.

For Ryu it depends on how much he uses his sword for his attacks since I prefer melee fighters over swordies. If it's a nice balance I could try him out.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As long as he plays good, they'll probably all main him as he becomes the next big hated online character up with :ultsamus: or :ultsonic:

I'm mostly kidding though, I just hope that "timed hits" isn't an actual mechanic, that would be really weird competitively.
I've been playing through Mother 3 for the first time, and I gotta say...

Ignoring how a character built around rhythmically timed hits would be a nightmare with Smash's online, I really think that if they were going to add that mechanic, it'd be either for a Rhythm Heaven character, or Lucas. I know design philosophy was different during Brawl, but Mother 3 is all about stringing together timed hits to the music, and the only thing remotely close to that in Lucas's moveset is his three hit down smash, which is automatically three hits every time.

I just really doubt Geno would have a timed hit mechanic outside of maybe Geno Whirl as a special move. Not for his whole moveset though. I think Sakurai would instead just focus on "he has a gun for an arm" since that's what he gushed about.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
-Xenoblade X port
-Animal Crossing Summer Update Pt 2
-Rune Factory 5
-New Warriors Game
-Metroid Prime Trilogy
-Trails in the Sky Ports
-A New Mii Game (Tomodachi Life, Miitopia, Wii Sports)
-Bayonetta 3
-Shin Megami Tensei 5
-Persona 5 Scramble
-If we don't get the next character maybe we might get something like an echo or stage pack

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Hey what’s the stupidest thing you want in this game (outside of enjoyment)

I want a Cap’n Cuttlefish Mii Outfit more than I want playable characters sometimes
sometimes i feel like i'd rather have this one song over half of my most wanted
So what are people hoping for with this upcoming Direct
the only thing i'm REALLY pulling for right now is mario kart 9 because holy crap i have been playing the same mario kart for 6 years

there's also a couple other things i'd also like but don't expect in the slightest, like a new mii game, a sin & punishment remake and a switch port of ultimate mahvel 3

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
sometimes i feel like i'd rather have this one song over half of my most wanted

the only thing i'm REALLY pulling for right now is mario kart 9 because holy crap i have been playing the same mario kart for 6 years

there's also a couple other things i'd also like but don't expect in the slightest, like a new mii game, a sin & punishment remake and a switch port of ultimate mahvel 3
I think the MvC series in it's entirety should be on Switch. Including Infinite.

SKX31

Smash Master
There are some characters that aren't as prominent due to a lack of players.

I'm pretty sure :ultryu: is the least-appearing character in competitive play, despite the fact that he's a ****ing powerhouse. Ken may get you to 60 - 70% in one combo string, but Ryu can do it in just three ****ing hits. He's just as insane as his Echo counterpart. Shakanetsu is also an amazing tool.

I did :ult_terry: during the last NA open and made it to brackets, mostly because I wasn't confident with Ryu at the time. Now I'll be ready next time.

Little Mac is my main man but damn, I know damn well he is not competitively my best bet. Ryu fills that gap for me. :p
If nothing else, Little Mac still has the heart of a champ:

Craziest_Super_Armor_Moments_in_Smash_Ultimate_2.gif

(I feel a little dirty posting this specific one due to the double jab-lock abuse. To compensate: )

Most_DOMINATING_0-Deaths_in_Smash_Ultimate_8.gif

To add to this:

* Mario Kart 9 or a Mario spinoff that isn't afraid to go for it like Mario Strikers.
* BOTW 2, please?
* Xenoblade Chronicles X port
* New Warriors game
* SMT V
* Bayo 3
* I don't expect this one right now, but Riot at least announcing Wild Rift (or any LoL-related project meant for the Switch). Valve doing anything new on the Switch would likewise be welcome.
* FP7 of course

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Outside of "please don't group people under one banner", here's MewtwoKing demonstrating something:

Yes, a lot of competitive players also play casually at times. They can certainly have just fun. And yes, competitive players focus on different aspects, but in their case, prize money is often on the line. The "Stop Having Fun" Guys (aka Elitists) don't make up near 100 % of the competitive community.
Sometimes I think it's odd how competitive players aren't campaigning for characters represented in ways tournament rules ban, but then I remember vids like this where they do **** around with competitively banned things.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
A character based around a timing mechanic would probably be super fun offline but actually the worst thing ever on Ultimate's netcode. Given how Sakurai has implied that even he knows the netcode's bad, I dunno if I see us getting a character like that.

D

Deleted member

Ports:
Super Mario 3D World Deluxe
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Something Trails related (Trails in the Sky trilogy or Trails of Cold Steel 1 + 2)

New titles/DLC:
Smash Bros FP7
SMT 5
Monolith's new IP
New Kirby game
More No More Heroes 3 would be nice as well

Honestly, I'll just be happy to get a new Nintendo Direct.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'll just keep hoping that Nintendo will make another F-Zero game but they'll either A. never make one or B. Pull another federation force

I only expect anything good during the beginning and end of the directs. Everything in the middle is pretty forgettable unless it's ports of beloved games.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Was curious as to what the WF game was gonna be in the Treehouse since WF makes quality games, even their licensed ones, but damn, even this was disappointing.
Your PFP really sets the mood on that point, lmfao. :laugh:
View attachment 277999
Maybe one day, maybe one day.
I'd also like to take this opportunity to shill my new Jonesy thread. Please come and check it out ok bye.
oh boy, that one's gonna age badly like the Star Fox/Metroid variant of that pic.
After Bayonetta and Joker I HIGHLY doubt firearms are really a problem for the development team anymore. Plus, that quote from back then was during the Wii days 12 years ago when Nintendo was shoving “family friendly” down people’s throats. They’re much more lenient now.
remember the very same old quote said "knives" were also off-limits
Sakurai on the process of including Snake and why Falcon and Fox have weird movesets.png

1594770679631.png

1594770732741.png

1594771039328.png

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This week’s Event tourney is about ace pilots in the one place that hasn’t been corrupted by capitalism.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
For the next Direct (whether it ends up being the 20th or not), I'm hoping for any of the following (ranging from realistic wants to never-gonna-happen):
  • Challenger Pack 7
  • Something new from Ace Attorney (although that's looking less likely right now, since Yamazaki just left Capcom)
  • Ghost Trick on Switch (While I find TWEWY Final Remix's gyro pointer system for docked mode to be clunky in that game, I actually think something similar would work really well with Ghost Trick. Plus I'll do anything to get Ghost Trick more exposure lol)
  • Anything Trails-related (CS4 Switch release date, ports of any of the Xseed-published games, or official Crossbell localizations plz)
  • A Tales port (preferably one of the lesser-known games I haven't played yet like Hearts or Destiny, but I would still be hyped for something like Symphonia, Xillia 1+2, or Abyss)
  • No More Heroes 3 release date and gameplay trailer (Suda has been teasing us with tiny clips of NMH3 in the New Game Plus Expo and the Devolver Direct, so I really want to see a proper trailer)
  • Anything new with Sin & Punishment
  • Anything new from Kirby would be neat too

D

Deleted member

[twitter post]
This week’s Spirit Event is about ace pilots in the one place that hasn’t been corrupted by capitalism.
You mean this week's Tourney Event is pilot themed? I see no spirits here.

But hey, of the many random Tourney Events that have happened before, at least this 1 makes some level of sense compared to something like Spikes v Balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This week’s Spirit Event is about ace pilots in the one place that hasn’t been corrupted by capitalism.
I only saw that line for the first time recently, but it's hilarious to see how much trouble Tim Curry is having with keeping a straight face.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Lol Top comment
Random dude on Twitter said:
Event - Characters that deserve a new game on the Switch
Truuuuuuuu

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

1. New Kirby game
  2. New Metroid game (Prime Trilogy port works too)
  3. Klonoa Encore (I CAN DREAM)
  4. Touhou ports
  5. A release date for Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
  6. New Sonic game
  7. Golden Sun Remastered
  8. New Smash character

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Your PFP really sets the mood on that point, lmfao. :laugh:

oh boy, that one's gonna age badly like the Star Fox/Metroid variant of that pic.

remember the very same old quote said "knives" were also off-limits
View attachment 278445
View attachment 278446
View attachment 278447
View attachment 278448
To be fair, within canon Joker's knives are plastic replicas, and his guns are models. It's just that they act real within the Metaverse since it's based on cognition, which dictates that if it looks real enough, it has to be real. There's enough technicality here to give Sakurai and co. room to breathe.

I will admit, the focus on guns within his and Bayonetta's movesets definitely help the case for other characters with realistic weapons though.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

As far as Smash news goes, I'm hoping for a trailer for FP7 at the very least. I'd love to see a release date for No More Heroes 3, and any kind of new footage for Bayonetta 3 (even a hint at her new look - I want to see some kind of proof that they're actually working on the game, because it's been nearly three years without even the tiniest amount of info).

I'd like to see something Persona related in the Direct, whether it's an announcement/release date for the localization of Persona 5 Scramble, a port of Persona 4 Golden, or something else. (not sure what's plausible)

Also, some kind of new Nintendo game, because once Paper Mario comes out in three days, we'll know absolutely nothing about Nintendo's remaining 2020 line-up. A new Kirby game would be nice; ideally, something with a bit more meat to it than what Star Allies had at launch.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be fair, within canon Joker's knives are plastic replicas, and his guns are models. It's just that they act real within the Metaverse since it's based on cognition, which dictates that if it looks real enough, it has to be real. There's enough technicality here to give Sakurai and co. room to breathe.

I will admit, the focus on guns within his and Bayonetta's movesets definitely help the case for other characters with realistic weapons though.
But... It never actually says that in Smash. As far as Smash is concerned, those weapons are as real as Marth's or Snake's. That's such a loophole it wraps right around to no loophole whatsoever.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Genuinely think Axel Stone is super slept on. I could see him getting into smash as a beat em up rep, especially with the big success of streets of rage 4 recently. Also would give another SEGA char

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
This week’s Event tourney is about ace pilots in the one place that hasn’t been corrupted by capitalism.
id see this movie

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Genuinely think Axel Stone is super slept on. I could see him getting into smash as a beat em up rep, especially with the big success of streets of rage 4 recently. Also would give another SEGA char
He's about as big as any other SEGA contender IMO. He's not out of the count, but I wouldn't hold him in higher regards than anything from Yakuza, Sakura, Phantasy Star, etc.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'd like to see something Persona related in the Direct, whether it's an announcement/release date for the localization of Persona 5 Scramble, a port of Persona 4 Golden, or something else. (not sure what's plausible)
I would hope that Atlus saw the success of P4G on PC would make them do this! Also, Scramble would be nice as well.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Once again I wait in anticipation that we might get another console Mario Golf game, it's been 17 years since Toadstool Tour on Gamecube and 6 years since World Tour on 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom