• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
The user who asked the question was talking about when it overall began, not finished. Either they meant when it was greenlit to go, or when actual characters were starting to become licensed/figured out.
bolthwould be helpful actually. im trying to make sense of my bulletin board of smash speculation

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
bolthwould be helpful actually. im trying to make sense of my bulletin board of smash speculation
Sadly we have zero statements on it.

However, we did find some files for more characters via placeholders, but I forget the month. This would be the earliest time it was greenlit. When they actually started to figure out anyone is probably before Hero, since we seem to be missing costumes after Joker's set. I say seem, cause we can't really say all costumes were licensed back(or if some were not relicensed because that character is playable instead) till we, well, see it. So there's no way to tell how meaningful Geno and Chocobo Hat's costumes are yet. But it's a worthwhile way to think on things, since it led to two theories;

They were missing cause of the Dragon Quest focus(which is backed up by Nintendo and Square-Enix's heavy emphasis on its advertising, to the point of the entire presentation having a pretty hard focus on it, especially to advertise the latest game. The amiibo are the special exception, and they generally are the only time where a presentation loses focus on its primary subject. The Mii costumes don't get much focus either besides a small segment. Sakurai has only talked a few as is, and if anything, it's when a new feature involves one do they get some focus. Like Min Min's presentation notes a change to some battles where a Mii costume character can now replace a regular Fighter if it fits better).

The other is a lot more simple; Chocobo Hat was moved to a Geno playable character and that was it. The only other similar one is the theory Heihachi was moved from Terry to Min Min due to her having a moveset that more resembles Tekken's.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Neither Mickey Mouse, nor Chip and Dale were in the original Duck Tales (at least according to Wikipedia), and they support their own individual properties as well. None of Kingdom Hearts characters have gone on to establish their own separate brand or series outside of KH, so I'm not sure how that's an applicable example. Without that individual brand value there's far less reason for different heads at Disney to veto because there's less to protect and potentially gain by doing so. At least not yet, KH is rumored to be getting a TV series, and who knows where that could lead if successful.

On another note, I've had some concerns that some of these upcoming KH projects could end up hurting Sora's chances, but those same projects also have the potential to help him out.
Apologies for the late reply, but that doesn’t tell the whole story, because Disney did give permission to use the Three Caballeros (or rather, the two non-Donald Caballeros), Goofy and Daisy Duck. The latter two don’t appear in the original show and are part of the core Mickey characters, even though Mickey himself is absent aside from a particularily unsubtle cameo. The Three Caballeros even star in their own Disney+ show, aptly titled Legend of the Three Caballeros. Theory is that the Rescue Rangers were off-limits because of the Lonely Island Rescue Rangers movie, which implies that Disney is both big and interconnected. What that means for Sora, I don’t know.

I do believe that putting together a Sora pack is doable and things are probably moreso a package deal than Sakurai scrapping for every stage element, but I also believe it’s more complicated than going to A Big Singular Disney Lawyer and talk things out.

Want to ask a question that I’m not sure is a good idea to ask but figured eh why not?

What’s your most hot take-y character want?
Oh I have some wonderful hot takes for character concepts. I‘m sticking to the ones I can make an argument for, but honorable mention goes to Beedle from the Zelda series who can use that fish that draws on your map and seagulls as some sort of puppet fighter I guess.

My other hot takey character wants are divided in two games, Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2. For the first one, Impa as an old lady is recurring enough to deserve a look, and her Breath of the Wild incarnation has the virtue of having the whole world of Breath of the Wild to her disposal as her moveset potential, including the Sheikah Slate attacks, old Sheikah weaponry and the moves of a certain DLC monk. A great representation of Zelda’s magitek appeal wrapped up in an old Yoda-ish mentor figure.

Speaking of mentor figures, let’s look at Splatoon, where almost all weapon types are already represented in some way. Of the main weapons introduced in Splatoon 1, only two are missing: The Charger and the Splatling. Long range. Now, of course, you can reverse engineer Octolings to use a charger, but Cuttlefish uses a Bamboozler charger by default. Yes, the Bamboozler is an unconventional type of charger, but that also allows for creative liberties. Min Min’s dragon is much more laser-like in ARMS than it is in Smash and Min Min reps ARMS great. Cuttlefish’s Bamboozler can act like a hybrid between a charger and a splatling in the same way. Combine that with the fact that the Bamboozler can be perfectly used as a cane and you got yourself a nice mid-range moveset with a great kooky personality to boot!

This one‘s a bit of a long shot, but if the blood moon aligns just right and we get indeed a Majora’s Mask-like theme in Breath of the Wild 2, Kilton from the original game might stand a chance to play a bigger role in the darker story. A merchant obsessed with monsters, Kilton sells multiple useful goods to Link in the original, but if he acts more like a guide in the sequel, following the pattern set by his fellow happy mask salesman, Kilton could gain a boost in monster-related moveset potential and importance. It’s more of a “what-if“ scenario than one I can back up right now, even though the Mii Costume shows that the original Breath of the Wild is still on the developers minds.

Lastly, I‘d like to look at another Splatoon character, or characters moreso, as Pearl and Marina could show up as duo fighter. Whereas the Squid Sisters’ similar frames and vastly anti-thetical weapon choice (Rollers vs Chargers), mean their moveset would be a bit clunkier, Pearl and Marina both prefer more close-range weapons (Dualies and Brellas) and Pearl has a memetic but more workable height. This way, Pearl and Marina can act more as one unit, with Pearl rolling in-and-out of Marina‘s base range, and Marina protecting her girlfriend with the Brella shield.

This doesn’t mean I hate Octolings, it just means I really really like Splatoon.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Y’all talking about Sega and not giving Joe Musashi anything? I think he’d be great! And he’s a classic character

D

Deleted member

Figured I'd ask another question because I don't have anything else better to do with my life:

What's a 4th party(non-video game) character you would want in Smash, if any?

unless you knew me from the social thread my answer is gonna be very confusing lol
Mine IMO has to be Chronojet Dragon. Now if that name doesn't ring a bell at all, don't worry. It's not a character I feel basically anyone but me knows around here
I've already kinda accepted my most wanteds(being basically all card game characters) are never getting in. Ever. But I still like to speculate on them because I find that more enjoyable than debating on the likelihoods of "who is the most likely to get into Smash right now"
To me Chronojet just looks ****ing cool. That and his whole Stride(essentially reverse time travel where you bring your future self to you) thing is interesting enough I feel it could be a very interesting moveset, in a manner similar to Joker but instead of just Joker's main persona you have a few more options. Really though I just like how he looks. he's a kickass metal dragon who gives no ****s and has WHEELS for feet. ****ING WHEELS. ..how cool is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Thanatos over anyone else from Kid Icarus, I guess. Even Magnus has had more support and I'm not sure if that sits well with me despite the fact that he was playable for a chapter.
Thanatos would be P sick but Magnus is my second favorite character of all time and I’m the guy who made the support thread for him too! I’m still holding out for him and hopefully he’s voiced by Fred again

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's my lukewarm takes:
  • I would've preferred Lycanroc or Decidueye and Spring Man to Incineroar and Min Min. I also think Byleth was a better choice than one of the house leaders.
  • Shadow really should have been a Sonic echo.
  • Little Mac's mostly fine the way he is, he just needs a handful of buffs to give him the tools other characters have (a grab that isn't terrible, a means of beating projectiles consistently, etc.).
  • Fire Emblem's current roster is pretty good. All of them provide a fun playstyle or are an easy bonus in the form of an echo.
  • I still kind of hope we get a Retro rep from the NES in Ultimate. I know Simon Belmont kinda fills this out, but it's hard to consider him retro when he hails from a series that's still (kinda) going to this day. I basically want to see a new Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt.
  • There's still a lot of fun and interesting options for first-party fighters.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Want to ask a question that I’m not sure is a good idea to ask but figured eh why not?

Most people want Dante and I have to agree, but my dream DMC character would be Nero. Especially if they gave him full access to ALL his kit in DMCV. Two grabs (a normal one and a tether) that can be used to grab people in the air, jump canceling attacks, caliber, DT moves, the powered up moves from charging devil breakers, etc. It would be a massacre and I would love every bit of it:demon:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
My picks are the same as my hot take characters and they are Scrooge McDuck and James Bond, but especially Scrooge McDuck.

I love DuckTales. I love the DuckTales games. I want the Moon Theme in Smash. My dream is that Sora gets in Smash and comes with a Scrooge premium Mii Swordfighter.

James Bond is an exciting choice too - GoldenEye 007 is an awesome game as we all know, an N64 classic, and Bond is just a great iconic character.

My others would be Mickey Mouse, particularly based on Epic Mickey and Mickey Mania, and Monkey D. Luffy because hell I just like One Piece a whole lot.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Figured I'd ask another question because I don't have anything else better to do with my life:

unless you knew me from the social thread my answer is gonna be very confusing lol
Mine IMO has to be Chronojet Dragon. Now if that name doesn't ring a bell at all, don't worry. It's not a character I feel basically anyone but me knows around here

I've already kinda accepted my most wanteds(being basically all card game characters) are never getting in. Ever. But I still like to speculate on them because I find that more enjoyable than debating on the likelihoods of "who is the most likely to get into Smash right now"
To me Chronojet just looks ****ing cool. That and his whole Stride(essentially reverse time travel where you bring your future self to you) thing is interesting enough I feel it could be a very interesting moveset, in a manner similar to Joker but instead of just Joker's main persona you have a few more options. Really though I just like how he looks. he's a kickass metal dragon who gives no ****s and has WHEELS for feet. ****ING WHEELS. ..how cool is that?
My 4th party wishlist is mostly characters with a legitimate gaming legacy:
  1. Chase McCain
  2. Wreck It Ralph
  3. Jolee Bindo
  4. Scrooge McDuck
  5. Doctor Doom
  6. Clementine
  7. Scott Pilgrim
  8. Louis Litt
  9. Starlight Glimmer
  10. Poh and Callum from MasterChef with Gordon Ramsay final smash

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Samurai Jack because he's a cool samurai warrior. He'd be kind of a basic character with not much unique to him since he'd be using his sword all of the time. Ah screw it, he'd just be a Marth echo fighter.

Really I just chose him because he pets a cat and ignores the robots laughing at him.

giphy.gif

My other choices would be Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo, Jotaro Kujo, Spongebob, Goku and a regular Cat.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
The ole Shinobi series was just as quality as Sonic back in the day, truly fun good looking games that still hold up very well. And has a lot of potential with the ninjutsu moves like electric force field, random flames, a higher jump and I think a kamikaze type move. I can't forget the classic eight shuriken knife throw. Joe Musashi would be one heck of a fun retro surprise character with great gaming history; though I feel like Hayabusa would cut his chances first. And other awesome retro SEGA reps are found in Alex Kidd, Nights, Sakura Shinguji, etc; in the mix.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

This guy, acting as a rep for the Marvel vs. Capcom series and bringing in awesome music tracks like these...

SKX31

Smash Master
Bit late on this, so I'll answer both questions, one at a time:

My Hot Take Character is any character from Dota 2. Partly because that game's not identified with Nintendo at all (Dota 2 having a decent chunk of Nintendo references aside), and partly because any Valve-related discussions tend to focus around Gordon, Heavy or even Chell. Don't get me wrong, I'd be perfectly happy with Valve getting anything, but the MOBA progenitor ranks the highest for me personally (regardless of Dota 2's community having major toxicity problems).

Absolutely partial to Darth Vader, because the dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unn-*Gets Thwacked* Still partial to him because of the possibilities one could have with his attacks - and not just Force Chokes.

Other than him, I'd be perfectly fine with a lot of other 4th party characters, like Scrooge.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice

Um, I'd be good with Goku. He's been in a lot of games anyway and is the ultimate anime pick. Agumon would be another, since Pokemon vs Digimon was such a classic, if very unevenly-matched feud.

I'm mainly going for the ones that could actually happen if they were at all interested in breaking the "has to be a VG character" rule.

But also, Jotaro for JJBA (over Jonathan due to lack of Stand) would be super cool. (It sucks that it's not possible!)

I guess I'll give mention to James Bond for being considered for Smash 64. Imagine him making it in and thus having a precedent for a non-VG character happening to be in a popular game/series (Goldeneye). I guess he'd be kind of a retro rep, if N64 is retro now.

toonito

Smash Ace

my hot take character wants

Parappa the Rapper > Chorus Kids (although I'm curious as to how rhythm-based characters would work in Smash)

Gym Leader Bea (Pokemon Sword & Shield)

Ghirahim (Zelda)

Tails for 2nd Sonic rep

Vivi for 2nd FF rep

Master Chief should be the very last character revealed for any Smash game because Master Chief Finishes the Fight! is a perfect tagline

I'd be a little ticked if Bandana Waddle Dee got in Smash before Toad/Captain Toad

Meowth should replace Jigglypuff

Paper Mario should rep Mario RPGs

Raichu so Pikachu's entire evolution line could be playable

osby

Smash Obsessed

Hello Kitty.

No, I won't elaborate.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
As far as a 4th party dream want, I'd definitely go with Goku. Particularly Kid Goku cause that's how he was introduced to the world and his moves, personality, and looks would fit extremely well with the Smash cast and wouldn't be too OP.

Though Yusuke Urameshi or Hiei would be awesome for the trash talk or the Dragon of the Darkness Flame would be freaking awesome to see.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

She's not happening (disregarding the whole 4th party thing she's a side character from the movie of a relatively young show), but Spinel from Steven Universe would be sick. She's a 1930's animation come to life, with a scythe that can wipe someone's memories for good measure. I know the show isn't perfect, but I really like it and the movie is one of the best parts of it, in part due to Spinel.
1594561088804.png

aside from Spinel (or other characters from SU), Aang would be cool. We don't exactly have a wind-themed character, and the other three elements would help create a good moveset. The stage would be gorgeous as well. As for a "likely" fourth party? I guess a Marvel chracter, I went on an MCU binge and I liked them, so why not. I'd probably go with either Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, or Thanos, they seem like they'd have the most moveset potential (of the reasonable characters).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Don’t do that

don’t give me hope

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist. He could make for a good fighter with lots of variety on the ground, and more traditional air attacks, seeing as he actually needs, well, the floor to actually transmutate stuff. Also, literal sword arm! That's cool.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Don’t do that

don’t give me hope
Pretty sure that as far as most people are concerned, that show already got cancelled last Monday when nothing happened. If we're listening to any leakers, then that guy that put out the 20th is the more reliable one right now.

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist. He could make for a good fighter with lots of variety on the ground, and more traditional air attacks, seeing as he actually needs, well, the floor to actually transmutate stuff. Also, literal sword arm! That's cool.
10000%, If I would have remembered him, I would have totally mentioned Ed. He'd have a victory pose with Alphonse like Robin does with Chrom, and also Al would be in his FS.

Ah, if only.

Edit: Something else I remembered which I'm not going to make a new post for is that, as far as I know, Square Enix owns full rights to FMA, which would make him an SE rep, haha.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Darth Maul. Dude would be blast to use in Smash with his dual-bladed lightsaber and flippy acrobatics. Also, Duel of the Fates would be a killer addition to Smash's track list.

Honorable mentions to Wreck-it Ralph, James Bond, and Wallace and Gromit cuz memes

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord

Wreck it Ralph or Captain N. Preferably the former. I stand with the notion that if a 4th party were to be introduced they should be related to Nintendo and Video Games.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
as much as i want 4th-parties to stay away from smash, there is one i want. and it's someone who not only is known as a video game character at this point, but is only kinda sorta 4th party. i'm talking about this guy:

Strider2_hiryu_art.jpg

now you might ask "wait, since when is he a 4th-party?" well, hiryu is kind of in a unique situation, because the strider series originally started out as a joint project between capcom and a manga studio. so although the manga did release first, the game wasn't a simple adaptation like, say, the witcher, no. basically, the strider series is actually co-owned by capcom and said studio, and when hiryu appears in crossovers, there's usually a copyright for that studio. but speaking of crossovers, yeah, strider has frequently appeared in all kinds of capcom crossovers, so even though, once again, he also debuted in s manga, capcom basically treats him like he's 100% one of their own video game characters, especially considering that iirc the manga has long ended.

basically, hiryu is a very unique fella. he's not really a video game character or a manga character: he's like a hybrid. the games and manga were meant to go hand in hand from the start, neither was really a simple adaptation or tie-in for the other. i don't know any other characters in this situation, so strider hiryu is in this very weird situation where i genuinely have no clue if he would be elligible for smash.

he's also one of the coolest characters in any piece of media ever and i want him in

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Spider-Man or anyone from Star Wars. Anyone. Vader, Luke, Obi-Wan. Doesn’t even have to be one of the faces of the franchise. Throw in General Grievous, that’d be sick.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

I have some... none of them I really want badly but I think it would be interesting, or just funny in some cases.

-All around
Clippy from Microsoft Office

I know that someone started a meme of Clippy for Smash time ago, but I unironically think that he would be very cool as a Game&Watch-like fighter.

-Anime characters
Eren (Attack on Titan)
It's less because of the character and more because of the general gameplay concept that he could bring. He uses that odd device that shoots grappling hooks. I think that he would fight by locking the enemies with a hook and launching himself toward them, then you have to attack with the sword by pressing A at the right moment, or detach the hook and dodge by pressing the shield button; it would be a pretty unique playstyle.
He can also use those smoke guns to confuse the opponents... I imagine him being able to shoot them horizontally or vertically, and that the 3 colors of smoke (red, black and green) have different status effects on the characters who touch them.
Do I need to talk about his final smash?

Nike and Kukuri (Mahoujin Guruguru) (As one fighter)
Nike is the hero, and Kukuri is a witch who uses the odd Guruguru magic to fight. This anime is a parody of the traditional RPG videogames; the characters have HP/MP values and gain exp to level up too.
Nike would deal with melee combat while Kukuri would summon all sort of crazy things from a step backward.
The Guruguru magic consists in drawing magical circles with a staff, each different circle summons a different thing.
Nike can perform some magic as well, such as summoning the sparkling sword (Kirakira - looks nothing like a sword, at least in base form) or using the "Cool pose" to hover mid-air and stun whoever looks at it.
The anime focuses on demential humor and it would be hilarious to have those two in Smash, at least until the Kita-Kita old man shows up.

Cyborg Kuro-chan
He's a normal cat who's been transformed into a cyborg by a mad scientist.
He can launch missiles and has a big arsenal of weapons hidden in his belly including guns and a huge sword.
Wouldn't it be perfect for Smash?

----

There is probably more but I can't think of anything right now. Especially non-anime...
Well I woulnd't mind a Jedi, it would be cool... or to match Guruguru/Kuro-chan's stupidity, maybe something like Gumball? No idea how he would fight though, any random thing would work.
actually I wouldn't mind Goku too.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Only ones I'd be alright with happening:
  • Scrooge McDuck
  • Scott Pilgrim
  • Lee or Clementine from Telltale's TWD game

Calamitas

Smash Champion
10000%, If I would have remembered him, I would have totally mentioned Ed. He'd have a victory pose with Alphonse like Robin does with Chrom, and also Al would be in his FS.

Ah, if only.

Edit: Something else I remembered which I'm not going to make a new post for is that, as far as I know, Square Enix owns full rights to FMA, which would make him an SE rep, haha.
His Final Smash would actually be him getting called short. The only reason the attack ends is because Alphonse stops him.

D

Deleted member

Picture this:

For this trailer, it is indeed a continuation of Incineroar's trailer. He's laid out every competitor in and out of the ring and just taunting in front of the crowd and pretty much egging for the next challenger to walk down the aisle and challenge him, so out comes Wario rolling down the aisle with his motorcycle to take him out, only for Incineroar to dropkick the **** out of him into the screen. He's still taunting waiting for the next character to come out...

and then, you hear it...

GONG

THE UNDERTAKER RISES FROM THE GRAVE!

from here, we either get Undertaker doing his 10 minute long entrance or the lights go out with Undertaker appearing behind Incineroar when they come back on.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Only ones I'd be alright with happening:
  • Scrooge McDuck
  • Scott Pilgrim
  • Lee or Clementine from Telltale's TWD game
Lee and Clem actually did debut in a video game. They were created specifically for the Telltale game and did not appear in any prior Walking Dead media. They are in the same category as Galen Marek/Starkiller from The Force Unleashed.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

snip
Geralt would probably be one of the only non-video game characters I'd accept. Or perhaps a character from a DnD-based video game like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights (like Sarevok).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Yeah I forgot of that too, Ed is cool

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sam & Max would make for a good 4th party, if only because they also have a storied history as video game characters. Failing that, we don't have any fighters who can wield their rabbit-y partner thing as a bludgeon yet.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Apologies for the late reply, but that doesn’t tell the whole story, because Disney did give permission to use the Three Caballeros (or rather, the two non-Donald Caballeros), Goofy and Daisy Duck. The latter two don’t appear in the original show and are part of the core Mickey characters, even though Mickey himself is absent aside from a particularily unsubtle cameo. The Three Caballeros even star in their own Disney+ show, aptly titled Legend of the Three Caballeros. Theory is that the Rescue Rangers were off-limits because of the Lonely Island Rescue Rangers movie, which implies that Disney is both big and interconnected. What that means for Sora, I don’t know.

I do believe that putting together a Sora pack is doable and things are probably moreso a package deal than Sakurai scrapping for every stage element, but I also believe it’s more complicated than going to A Big Singular Disney Lawyer and talk things out.
I don't think it's that simple either. Hopefully Nomura/Square can act to sway the balance against any potential naysayers within Disney provided all of the other obstacles in Sora's way are avoided.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think it's that simple either. Hopefully Nomura/Square can act to sway the balance against any potential naysayers within Disney provided all of the other obstacles in Sora's way are avoided.
The main issue, for me at least, is whether or not Kingdom Hearts can be faithfully represented with just the original cast and without any Disney characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom