• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
This isn't a hot take.

This is just a fact.

:ultalph: ALPH GOT ROBBED:ultalph:
The only suggestion I see get made to different him from Olimar is to give him Rock Pikmin, but like... I would just rather see Rock Pikmin get added to Olimar’s moveset. Though I guess all you really need to be considered an echo fighter is unique taunts, but I never felt like they did a bad job at representing Alph’s personality. At the very least it’s no worse than how Luigi and Bowser’s personality’s are represented.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Want to ask a question that I’m not sure is a good idea to ask but figured eh why not?

What’s your most hot take-y character want?
After Ridley's promotion, Ganon is now my current most-wanted Zelda character to be promoted to properly playable.
Ganon_SSBU.png

I've been playing with the Hyrule Warriors models and I feel like they could make for an excellent base for a playable Ganon, just put him in the ALBW armor and paint him blue.
1594528298861.png preview2.png
My second-most wanted is Dark Matter from Kirby, but Zelda is more important to me at the moment.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The only "hot take" character for me is probably Tracer. She's not a most wanted or anything for me but I never was and still am really not against her inclusion.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The only "hot take" character for me is probably Tracer. She's not a most wanted or anything for me but I never was and still am really not against her inclusion.
I actively want Tracer in the game, despite not having played Overwatch aside from a couple of times at friends'.

I assume that's a hot take because of the Blitzchung situation, which, fair enough. But I imagine that not wanting characters because of their companies will probably start to die out now that Ubisoft's secrets are out in the air as well.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I actively want Tracer in the game, despite not having played Overwatch aside from a couple of times at friends'.

I assume that's a hot take because of the Blitzchung situation, which, fair enough. But I imagine that not wanting characters because of their companies will probably start to die out now that Ubisoft's secrets are out in the air as well.
Eh, if people were willing to accept the return of Snake and all the Castlevania content despite being owned by Konami, then I feel that mindset should have died by then.

Shroob

Sup?
Eh, if people were willing to accept the return of Snake and all the Castlevania content despite being owned by Konami, then I feel that mindset should have died by then.
Eh, bit of a difference tbh.

Konami's a **** company to work for, no doubt, but Blizz was taking a very staunch political stance that not many agreed with outside of the CCP.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Konami's a **** company to work for, no doubt, but Blizz was taking a very staunch political stance that not many agreed with outside of the CCP.
Without trying to start anything, I think both the Blizzard thing and the Konami thing are general human decency issues, no politics about it. Human rights are a more serious violation than worker's rights, of course, but still.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Want to ask a question that I’m not sure is a good idea to ask but figured eh why not?

Little Mac is represented worse than any other character on the roster.

In Punch-Out Little Mac is an upbeat teenager from the Bronx (with an appropriate souwho is not very strong and can’t withstand much damage (he is a short, light weight teenager after all), but manages to defeat his more powerful opponents by waiting out his opponents, dodging their attacks and dealing a great number of punches throughout the match.

In Smash Little Mac is aggressive (personality wise and playstyle wise), sounds like a Japanese man in his 30’s, rely’s on getting in your face, is extremely physically powerful (needing only a few good hits to KO his opponents) and can shrug of strong attacks with his SUPER ARMOR... Look how the massacred my boy.

Oh, you just wanted to hear a character desire that would be seen as a hot take... I want Garbodor, because they are trash, just like the Smash community. :upsidedown: Also they’re a 5th gen Pokémon, so that’s nice.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don’t think politics and real world occurrences of the companies really affect DLC. All things considered what’s happening with Ubisoft doesn’t affect people’s love for their characters and games it just effects the views of the company itself. That’s why most people wanted Konami to start selling all their IPs because they love the properties but hate the company. There’s nothing wrong with that.

ZelDan

Smash Master

not entirely similar, sure, but both leave a foul taste in my mouth (and I would guess many others' moths) all the same.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
We are literally incapable of talking about Fire Emblem peacefully, aren't we

The only possible reason for Master Chief not appearing in Smash is if it conflicts with the Halo storyline on -
I didn't even bother reading the rest of this cause what on Earth is this reasoning
they'd turn down Master Chief being in Smash cause it messes with the lore?
Smash inherently screws with the lore, if you're of the camp that believes the characters to be themselves and not madeup clones
they'd turn down Smash over the lore???

if Smash added characters based on lore, quite a few characters wouldn't be here for various spoiler reasons

ZelDan

Smash Master
I always find it silly how people use lore as a reason for characters not joining Smash (remember people using lore to say Sans could never happen for example).

We're talking about the same game where Mario and Bowser can team up to beat the crap out Peach and/or Luigi, and also where a chimp or doggo can put up a fight against a literal goddess.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There's no way either of those guys gets in before SCUBA STEVE
Pff, like Scuba Steve would get in before the far superior Scuba Sam.

low key Adam Sandler in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My assumprion is that it was finalized right around E3 2019.
It was stated as finalized at September 2019.

E3 2019 is a popular theory of when they were started to be worked on, but seeing as how the costumes were first missing around Hero, which was recorded at least around May, it was probably somewhat earlier they started negotiations. But only if we are sure those costumes(or at least one of them) were intended to come with Hero and also were intended to come back in Pass 2(or again, at least one of them). Which seeing as Heihachi is back, is a pretty reasonable thought.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a question, when do we assume that fighters pass 2 was planned/decided upon?
My guess is planning started shortly after release and was locked-in sometime in Q2 of that year.

I think all the Mii waves (except possibly the first) have been made with the full picture in mind.

Pff, like Scuba Steve would get in before the far superior Scuba Sam.

low key Adam Sandler in Smash.
Pfft, Scuba Sam is echo material at best.

YEAH I SAID IT

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
250K for Tooie and can't find any data for how Nuts and Bolts sold over there, but likely very poorly due to being an Xbox exclusive.
I see... Still... if conversation went like

Nintendo: No thanks! Japan is still important market despite more than half of Ultimate sales coming from non-Japan territory!

I am not sure Japan is really that much of roadblock when way more than half of sales come from other regions. I think the argument is in the same category like "Too big" "From competitor" "Too violent" "Irrelevant" "Gun" arguments.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

I actually have very few character wants to begin with (for better or worse), so I guess my hottest take would be Reimu. I also wouldn't mind Anna from FE though the community backlash would be really really annoying.

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
You guys need to re-read his message. He never said that he himself personally thinks Chief won't get in because it'll mess with the Halo lore smh

He's saying Bungie cared about the lore because apparently it affected Chief's appearance in DoA (I didn't click the link to verify the source), which is why DoA has a different Spartan. 343 may have the same idea so it might affect Chief's chances for being in Smash (which I personally don't think it will).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

SGT. CORTEZ!

Time to split am I right fellas.gif

Because everyone else wants Master Chief and Doom Guy.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I’m unfamiliar with Digimon’s origins. Did it really start off as a video game?
Yes. It's basically one of those handheld games like Mr. Game & Watch. It's similar to Tamagotchi, another game series(made by the same creator too).

It's just far more famous for the anime, but that wouldn't change it having game origins.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I’m unfamiliar with Digimon’s origins. Did it really start off as a video game?
As far as I know, it started as a Tamagochi-like virtual pet LCD game, so a videogame indeed, even though it's popular mostly due to the anime.

Though I think that people are taking the "must be from a videogame" rule too much seriously. I'm not talking of Goku and Shrek, but there could be exceptions such as maybe an indie developer writes a book or something, then makes a game based on the story of the book, and the game becomes a success, while the book is a very obscure one and a flop... it would be a big waste to consider that game not viable for Smash only because an obscure book existed before.
It's just an example, maybe even an unrealistic one, but I think it makes the point clear.

EDIT: Another example, Pokèmon is mostly a game franchise, but there was a time, around the series' debut, when the games and the anime were just as important as each other. That time was when Pikachu and Jigglypuff were added to Smash.

I honestly think that as long as a game is big enough, it doesn't matter if other media exist, it can be in Smash. I think that Sora/Kingdom Hearts can totally fit Smash, even with the Disney cameos, because the game series is major enough.
On the other hand, while I'm not against Digimon, I don't think that the Digimon games are popular enough to justify Smash representation... but that's just me. I would be cool with Agumon, don't get me wrong, it's jsut that I see it more as an anime character than as a game character.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Completely disregarding all current topics, if we got Frisk as a fighter, do you think they’re like incorporate the reset system?
I don’t know how.
The idea of Frisk getting 0 to death’d first stock then just using down b to reset the entire game just seems hilarious to me

Shroob

Sup?
As far as I know, it started as a Tamagochi-like virtual pet LCD game, so a videogame indeed, even though it's popular mostly due to the anime.

Though I think that people are taking the "must be from a videogame" rule too much seriously. I'm not talking of Goku and Shrek, but there could be exceptions such as maybe an indie developer writes a book or something, then makes a game based on the story of the book, and the game becomes a success, while the book is a very obscure one and a flop... it would be a big waste to consider that game not viable for Smash only because an obscure book existed before.
It's just an example, maybe even an unrealistic one, but I think it makes the point clear.
This is a very awkward gray area of discussion.

It's like Geralt.

Everyone knows Geralt because The Witcher... but The Witcher is based on a book. The game couldn't be more different from a book, but he's technically a book character, even if Geralt is portrayed differently from the game version in said book.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Completely disregarding all current topics, if we got Frisk as a fighter, do you think they’re like incorporate the reset system?
I don’t know how.
The idea of Frisk getting 0 to death’d first stock then just using down b to reset the entire game just seems hilarious to me
"What you are witnessing is indeed the truth. But you will never arrive at the truth that will transpire."
1594541879820.png

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
This is a very awkward gray area of discussion.

It's like Geralt.

Everyone knows Geralt because The Witcher... but The Witcher is based on a book. The game couldn't be more different from a book, but he's technically a book character, even if Geralt is portrayed differently from the game version in said book.
The Witcher is a good example... it's interesting actually.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I'm not sure if this is really a hot take but I want Kratos and Gordon Freeman. People consider Valve and Sony to be outside of the boundary of what Smash could be but I don't agree.

But if you want a REALLY hot take then:
Goku should be in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well there you go then.
The user who asked the question was talking about when it overall began, not finished. Either they meant when it was greenlit to go, or when actual characters were starting to become licensed/figured out.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Lmao seeing people try to mock the idea that Black Knight couldn't work as an echo due to his Aether equivelant being grounded and not aerial is hilarious because it tells me people don't remember this

Screenshot_20200712-112144.png

For those who don't know, Chrom's Aether animation is strictly grounded and his up B in Ultimate is based on a move he sometimes did in cutscenes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom