• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The main issue, for me at least, is whether or not Kingdom Hearts can be faithfully represented with just the original cast and without any Disney characters.
"Faithful representation" is subjective but I think most people would agree that only KH-original characters is still better than what Cloud got.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
The main issue, for me at least, is whether or not Kingdom Hearts can be faithfully represented with just the original cast and without any Disney characters.
Somebody else said it before, but that's really up to individual opinion whether or not those elements are necessary. KH has a lot of original content to work with, and Sora himself wouldn't be missing anything.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Somebody else said it before, but that's really up to individual opinion whether or not those elements are necessary. KH has a lot of original content to work with, and Sora himself wouldn't be missing anything.
However, Sakurai might not think that way.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Figured I'd ask another question because I don't have anything else better to do with my life:

What's a 4th party(non-video game) character you would want in Smash, if any?

unless you knew me from the social thread my answer is gonna be very confusing lol
Mine IMO has to be Chronojet Dragon. Now if that name doesn't ring a bell at all, don't worry. It's not a character I feel basically anyone but me knows around here
I've already kinda accepted my most wanteds(being basically all card game characters) are never getting in. Ever. But I still like to speculate on them because I find that more enjoyable than debating on the likelihoods of "who is the most likely to get into Smash right now"
To me Chronojet just looks ****ing cool. That and his whole Stride(essentially reverse time travel where you bring your future self to you) thing is interesting enough I feel it could be a very interesting moveset, in a manner similar to Joker but instead of just Joker's main persona you have a few more options. Really though I just like how he looks. he's a kickass metal dragon who gives no ****s and has WHEELS for feet. ****ING WHEELS. ..how cool is that?
Goku, Luffy, Naruto, and Ichigo to replicate Smash Flash

Also:
- Scrooge McDuck
- Sailor Moon
- Hatsune Miku

- Hello Kitty
- Iron Man
- Mickey Mouse

- Darth Vader
- Spongebob

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Figured I'd ask another question because I don't have anything else better to do with my life:

unless you knew me from the social thread my answer is gonna be very confusing lol
Mine IMO has to be Chronojet Dragon. Now if that name doesn't ring a bell at all, don't worry. It's not a character I feel basically anyone but me knows around here
I've already kinda accepted my most wanteds(being basically all card game characters) are never getting in. Ever. But I still like to speculate on them because I find that more enjoyable than debating on the likelihoods of "who is the most likely to get into Smash right now"
To me Chronojet just looks ****ing cool. That and his whole Stride(essentially reverse time travel where you bring your future self to you) thing is interesting enough I feel it could be a very interesting moveset, in a manner similar to Joker but instead of just Joker's main persona you have a few more options. Really though I just like how he looks. he's a kickass metal dragon who gives no ****s and has WHEELS for feet. ****ING WHEELS. ..how cool is that?
Godzilla. I like giant monsters and I want to see how many references we can pull from his 65+ year history.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, none of us here on the forum are Sakurai. We don't know what he thinks unless he explicitly says something.
I was saying that he might not think that Kingdom Hearts can be represented faithfully without Disney characters. We'll never know until Sora is confirmed (if he does get in). But, Disney content itself is one of the major roadblocks towards Sora's inclusion.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As for the new Direct, if we get one, it would probably have Smash news in it. Every Nintendo Direct since March of 2018 has had some Smash info in it, although we might just get a teaser with no gameplay like what Joker and Terry got. Speaking of Terry, he was revealed on the literal day Banjo-Kazooie came out, so it is never too early to reveal a character.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm just waiting for the inevitable disappointment when we don't get a direct next week and we just go back to square one as usual.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm just waiting for the inevitable disappointment when we don't get a direct next week and we just go back to square one as usual.
Nintendo might have to do one so that they can at least give info out about what their holiday titles are. This info would have been shown off at E3 had there not been a global pandemic.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I still think you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.
I highly doubt that they would just leave us in the dark about what their holiday titles are, and I highly doubt that they would rely on an outdated fad from the early 2010s to sell Switches this holiday season.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I highly doubt that they would just leave us in the dark about what their holiday titles are, and I highly doubt that they would rely on an outdated fad from the early 2010s to sell Switches this holiday season.
I'm just keeping expectations low given how long its been and how much the virus had thrown things off course. Sorry if I came across being pessimistic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's something probably new that'd be fun and new to speculate and talk about.

Reasons why some characters are so highly requested.

In the case of King K. Rool and Ridley. The reason they were probably highly demanded was due to being classic Nintendo villains fans had grown up fighting and wanted to see in the ranks with Bowser and Ganondorf.

For Banjo & Kazooie. Nostalgia likely played a huge factor there especially being that they were N64 icons at that time.

So what of these characters then?

Crash
Geno
Lloyd Irving
Sora

Crash I think is kind of the same reason as Banjo & Kazooie. Nostalgia and there's the fact he's a classic gaming icon and mascot and having him be in the game means the whole Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Sony rivalry which was big back in the 90s which fans will get to do if Crash gets in.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Here's something probably new that'd be fun and new to speculate and talk about.

In the case of King K. Rool and Ridley. The reason they were probably highly demanded was due to being classic Nintendo villains fans had grown up fighting and wanted to see in the ranks with Bowser and Ganondorf.

For Banjo & Kazooie. Nostalgia likely played a huge factor there especially being that they were N64 icons at that time.

Crash
Geno
Lloyd Irving
Sora

Crash I think is kind of the same reason as Banjo & Kazooie. Nostalgia and there's the fact he's a classic gaming icon and mascot and having him be in the game means the whole Nintendo vs. Sega vs. Sony rivalry which was big back in the 90s which fans will get to do if Crash gets in.
I’d love to see a thinkpiece on Geno’s rise to glory. He has an interesting history that goes back to the Brawl days and has no intention of stopping. I’ve heard Brawl’s “Dream big” speculation had a part in his success but I can only guess that since I wasn’t there.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

My pick would be Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece.

Admittedly, I already have a good idea of how he'd play in Smash (there have been a few Smash Bros. style games for One Piece or the Shonen Jump magazine as a whole), but I feel like he'd be entertaining to play as and to watch, and it seems like the development team could have a lot of fun with making him.

Alternatively, Darth Vader, because come on - it's Darth Vader.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Remember last year when that dude said his “research” said “Wii U ports would be coming” shortly after some SKUs were added and soon after we got a direct with Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore?

basically, these SKUs being added at least means a direct is on the way

Calamitas

Smash Champion

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Geno
With Geno there's been some talk of how people have hopped onto his support because its become popular; with some of the dismissal including a statement that some of his supporters are those who've never played Mario RPG to begin with. As someone who is old enough to have gotten the game at release, I think I can explain one of the reasons (not necessarily the most encompassing one) that explains why some do hope for him to be in Smash.

Beyond the great design and cool aspects in universe, Geno essentially is the unique offspring of Square and Nintendo. A mysterious being from the stars above sent to help save the world; but in the form if a child's doll whose earliest act is bumping his head into a staircase. He essentially embodies a very one of a kind game that was a unique mix of two significant company's sensibilities; a title focused partnership that never happened quite like that again. There have been great Nintendo role playing games since and obviously Square has killed it with their releases since as well, but there has never quite been another entry quite like Mario RPG in terms of blended aesthetics and tone.

Thus even with the reasonable objections about relevance and/or significance, in terms of gaming its honestly hard to think of other characters who have the kind of unique gaming parentage/meta backstory like Geno does.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Alternatively, Darth Vader, because come on - it's Darth Vader.
If Smash were ever to allow for 4th party characters, Vader’s trailer would just be this but replace the Rebels with Smash characters, right?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe the next fighter will be Ellie from Last of Us 2.
God please no anything but that

if it were Ellie from the first TLOU I wouldn’t mind. The original was decent. But God I just want to forget that mess of a “sequel” ever existed

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero

None, ever. But if I was forced to pick one, Scrooge McDuck. Although Batman, Donatello and Little Nemo would also be acceptable answers.

Here's my lukewarm takes:
  • I would've preferred Lycanroc or Decidueye and Spring Man to Incineroar and Min Min. I also think Byleth was a better choice than one of the house leaders.
  • Shadow really should have been a Sonic echo.
  • Little Mac's mostly fine the way he is, he just needs a handful of buffs to give him the tools other characters have (a grab that isn't terrible, a means of beating projectiles consistently, etc.).
  • Fire Emblem's current roster is pretty good. All of them provide a fun playstyle or are an easy bonus in the form of an echo.
  • I still kind of hope we get a Retro rep from the NES in Ultimate. I know Simon Belmont kinda fills this out, but it's hard to consider him retro when he hails from a series that's still (kinda) going to this day. I basically want to see a new Ice Climbers or Duck Hunt.
  • There's still a lot of fun and interesting options for first-party fighters.
Yes. Yes. Yes. No. No. No.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Want to ask a question that I’m not sure is a good idea to ask but figured eh why not?

What’s your most hot take-y character want?
Little late but:
- Elma over Rex
- Neku over Geno, 2B, Crono etc
- Octolings, but NOT as Echoes
- KOS-MOS over Lloyd or anyone else from Bandai Namco

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Senor Hasbeena from Mucha Lucha. Due to mainly I want to see a Mucha Lucha character in a fighting game and a disco themed character sounds cool in general.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I'm way too predictable, but:

Bonus points if they somehow manage to shoehorn in the other Joestars as alts, maybe with Jonathan/Joseph having Star Platinum-shaped Hermit Purples.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
However, Sakurai might not think that way.
We know Sakurai can and will omit certain details of characters to keep them suitable for Smash, like how Snake doesn't use guns or Bayonetta's design isn't as revealing. It's not like Sora's situation is similar to Heihachi where his moveset is challenging to adapt.

So, yeah, Sakurai might not think that way but we have strong supporting evidence that indicates he'll probably wouldn't mind the absence of non-playable content to the point he'll reject a fighter over it. We can't read the guy's mind but that doesn't mean we can't ever deduct his working principles from how he acted in the past.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm way too predictable, but:

Bonus points if they somehow manage to shoehorn in the other Joestars as alts, maybe with Jonathan/Joseph having Star Platinum-shaped Hermit Purples.
my favorite part of part 1 was when jonathan stopped time

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

Why just one, when it can be two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom