• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if we get a non-Rex party member in Smash it should be none other than the mighty

Zeke!

Von!

GENBU!

BRINGER OF CHAOS!

Most often addressed as... THE ZEKENATOR!

Behold his Blade! Pandoria!

And here's his sword, the Purple Lightning Dreamsmasher! If you want a taste, COME AND GET IT!

Droodle

Smash Lord
Eh, if Nintendo/Square want Geno in, they'll put Geno in. If they don't want Geno in, they won't put Geno in. That's really all that needs to be said about his chances, he's not a character that you can spend hours analyzing why he deserves/doesn't deserve to get in as a fighter.

Geno's greatest strength is fan-demand. And don't try telling me that Nintendo doesn't pay attention to fan-demand in some way.

Geno's greatest weakness is irrelevance. And I don't mean something like K. Rool where they can easily put K. Rool in future DK games, or even something like Banjo who had a ton of push from Microsoft as well. Geno has very little chances of returning in future games, and neither Nintendo (outside of Smash) or Square-Enix seem to really care about him.

Will he get in? Only time will tell.

Thank's for coming to my TED talk.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Speculation in general has become a pretty black-white game of “debunking fan rules”, where if a character with a certain attribute gets in, it must mean all characters with the same attribute no longer have that as a point against them.

It becomes a bit of cherrypicking when you see posts like this.

”Character X has nothing going against them now. Duck Hunt is old, Dark Pit appears in only one game, Banjo is third party, Cloud has no connection to Nintendo and Min Min isn’t a main character! Ergo, it means that The Mean Bean Machine has literally no obstacles against it!”

You can build a case for everyone this way, if you treat fan rules as black or white from both sides and needless to say, it hinders speculation.
^
Just because someone doesn't have anything seriously going against them doesn't mean they will get in.

The circular Geno debates are honestly getting really tiring more than anything, so I'll just break off now and give a final word.

My thoughts are that he's not impossible, per se, but his chances are overestimated. The points regularly brought up are that he's popular in the Smash fanbase, he has no major Squeenix competition, and SMRPG is the grandfather of Mario RPGs. Requests doesn't decide everything, and there's a lot of SE IPs that are far more well-known and profitable with the general audience, like Tomb Raider and Nier. On the topic of profitability, there's also Paper Mario, a more well-known Mario game than SMRPG and is getting a new installment this year, too.

Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo are brought up as to reasons why, but just because it can happen again doesn't mean it will. As quoted above, speculation has devolved into "(X) character invalidates (Y) fanrule, so (Z) character will get in as well!" There's also the fact that Geno is still not the main protagonist, Mario is. Just because he's an important character doesn't mean he's the only one, and Mario's still the leader; He's even in the title. I know Geno plays a big role in the story, but that doesn't automatically mean he's the hero.

People act like fan requests are the only driving thing, ignore anyone who isn't as requested or speculated, and try to hype up who they want beyond their actual chances. I get that he's popular, I get that SMRPG is a cult classic, and I get that you've been waiting for a long time. Even if I'm not sold on Geno, I'm pretty sure I'd end up thinking he's pretty cool and fun if he gets added to Smash. If he does get a slot in the roster, I'll be content to eat my words with a side of fries.

But he's not a lock, and there's a fair bit going against him that won't magically go away because one fighter broke a fanrule or two. He's not among the most likely of characters, even if he's not impossible. Again, requests aren't going to determine everything, or we never would have gotten Joker and Terry, among others.
Eh, if Nintendo/Square want Geno in, they'll put Geno in. If they don't want Geno in, they won't put Geno in. That's really all that needs to be said about his chances, he's not a character that you can spend hours analyzing why he deserves/doesn't deserve to get in as a fighter.

Geno's greatest strength is fan-demand. And don't try telling me that Nintendo doesn't pay attention to fan-demand in some way.

Geno's greatest weakness is irrelevance. And I don't mean something like K. Rool where they can easily put K. Rool in future DK games, or even something like Banjo who had a ton of push from Microsoft as well. Geno has very little chances of returning in future games, and neither Nintendo (outside of Smash) or Square-Enix seem to really care about him.

Will he get in? Only time will tell.

Thank's for coming to my TED talk.
...Or you could listen to this guy, who makes the same points in much less time. Guess you could say I was... Ninja'd, as you call it?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Potentially relevant Geno re-post.

The issue is Geno as a character. He's a supporting character from one spin-off a long time ago, owned by someone other than Nintendo. You have to realize that that inherently puts Geno, or any character in that position, at an incredible disadvantage. And you've also got to remember that people who really care only make up part of one portion of a sliver of the total fanbase. Perspective gets distorted. He's not comparable to K. Rool, or Hero or Cloud, or any other character people equate him to.

I mean, imagine someone said "they should add Todd Snap" (from Pokemon Snap, pretend he made his debut there for the sake of the argument). And then pretend that Konami owned Todd Snap. Even if a lot of people started echoing that desire, would it really be that strange for Nintendo to never put him at the top of their list? Would it be strange when they went to Konami for characters other than him?

Fwiw, Geno's popularity is his saving grace, and the only thing that keeps him on the table at all. But a character in his position is never really obviously imminent. A character like that will always just be lucky to get in at all, because despite how it looks inside the bubble, it's a minute contingent concerned with, maybe even aware of the character. And you can't measure that character by what happens to those in much less unorthodox situations. So when someone says that he's an inevitability, you've really got to question that.

A possibility, sure. An inevitability? Well people have been saying that for a long time, and he's been popular for a long time, and there have been ample opportunities to add him, and all the parties are in play... so... where is he?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My opinion on the whole Geno discourse is that he'd be pretty neat and have a cool moveset, but unlike Ridley or K. Rool I'm not dying to see them in Smash.
I'm hoping at the very least that they give him a full mask rather than a hat if they decide to bring back his costume.
thumbnail.png

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Technically, N3ON, Geno is not really a supporting character. A supporting character is, by quote...

"A supporting character is a character in a narrative that is not the focus of the primary storyline, but appears or is mentioned in the story enough to be more than just a minor character or a cameo appearance."

Geno is not exactly that. He is more of a main character and a main party character, not to mention, he has a bigger part of the story, being connected to the Star Road and all. He is more than you may think.

But why are we talking about Geno again, exactly? I do believe his chances of getting in are not as great as some Geno fans say, but still, why?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Technically, N3ON, Geno is not really a supporting character. A supporting character is, by quote...

"A supporting character is a character in a narrative that is not the focus of the primary storyline, but appears or is mentioned in the story enough to be more than just a minor character or a cameo appearance."

Geno is not exactly that. He is more of a main character and a main party character, not to mention, he has a bigger part of the story, being connected to the Star Road and all. He is more than you may think.

But why are we talking about Geno again, exactly? I do believe his chances of getting in are not as great as some Geno fans say, but still, why?
Thank you. People keep using these terms completely wrong. He's a main character.

Unfortunately he's a main character in a side game. Which means he's not nearly as known(though less obscure than he used to be) and isn't part of the core Mario games either. This is definitely a disadvantage too. He's in a reasonable position to be chosen by Nintendo, but whether or not SE says yes is up in the air too.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Thank you. People keep using these terms completely wrong. He's a main character.

Unfortunately he's a main character in a side game. Which means he's not nearly as known(though less obscure than he used to be) and isn't part of the core Mario games either. This is definitely a disadvantage too. He's in a reasonable position to be chosen by Nintendo, but whether or not SE says yes is up in the air too.
Yeah, there is still the fact that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is a spinoff at the end of the day. That is a disadvantage for Geno. I do believe it can be overcome, though; especially if Square are willing to have him put in Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, there is still the fact that Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars is a spinoff at the end of the day. That is a disadvantage for Geno. I do believe it can be overcome, though; especially if Square are willing to have him put in Smash Bros. Ultimate.
If you adhere to the idea the spirits were due to the SNES Mini's promotional timing, you could argue he's in a better position. SMRPG getting released on the Switch(remake or download) would be good promotional timing.

A Premium costume with music has been on my mind as possible, but that also means Nintendo is losing more money in the long run. Maybe the costumes just weren't meant to return??

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

To this day, this is basically the holy bible for the Geno fandom.
He says he thinks he'd be cool because he has a gun for a hand. Quick, find everyone with gun hands.

I guess that was poor wording on my part. What I meant was, he was
My opinion on the whole Geno discourse is that he'd be pretty neat and have a cool moveset, but unlike Ridley or K. Rool I'm not dying to see them in Smash.
I'm hoping at the very least that they give him a full mask rather than a hat if they decide to bring back his costume.
View attachment 276821
On the topic of Geno and Miis, I feel sorry for whoever gets revealed with a Geno Mii, assuming that's the outcome we're getting. If that happens, I hope it's another really popular character like Doomguy or Lloyd; Someone who can afford to take one for the team, so to speak. My most wanteds are either more niche (Klonoa, Reimu) or have a certain argument regularly used against them (Bandana Dee), and if they come with a Geno Mii, I'm worried that will tarnish the Smash fandom's opinion of them.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Because Min Min came out and there are no new leaks or info to discuss.
It's a proven science that whenever smashboards runs out of things to talk about, the conversation defaults to Geno.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Geno still has a shot and Sakurai/Nintendo clearly know he’s popular but i wouldn’t be shocked at all if he doesn’t make it. Just because he made a passing statement that he would be cool doesn’t mean he’s a lock. No character is a lock.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think appearing in a spin off or a mainline game matters that much? Like in terms of importance. Do you guys think someone like Toad has a higher chance than Paper Mario because Paper Mario comes from a spin-off series, while Toad originates from a mainline game?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Frankly it's semantics. You'll find definitions that cast everyone but the main character as a supporting character (who isn't an outright minor character), and you'll find definitions that all the most important characters as main characters. But one is more main than the others, and it's not Geno.

That's hardly the point of my post, though. You understand the point I was making. I mean that quote was originally a reply to you.

Because it's a Smash forum and we're talking about Geno in Smash?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If you adhere to the idea the spirits were due to the SNES Mini's promotional timing, you could argue he's in a better position. SMRPG getting released on the Switch(remake or download) would be good promotional timing.

A Premium costume with music has been on my mind as possible, but that also means Nintendo is losing more money in the long run. Maybe the costumes just weren't meant to return??
I have to agree. That makes a ton of sense, too. Plus, with all the cries for Geno, I am not sure if a Mii costume for him, even though it is possible, is going to cut it for the fans, you know what I mean?

He says he thinks he'd be cool because he has a gun for a hand. Quick, find everyone with gun hands.

I guess that was poor wording on my part. What I meant was, he was
I thought I was talking to N3ON, but hey, no objection here for you joining in.

Still, while I like Geno, I am not in a hurry to see him. Any character that comes along is fine by me. I was more into K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie, anyway.

It's a proven science that whenever smashboards runs out of things to talk about, the conversation defaults to Geno.
I know, but still, there are many other characters to talk about, some of which would probably be better talks than Geno, in my opinion.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Do you guys think appearing in a spin off or a mainline game matters that much? Like in terms of importance. Do you guys think someone like Toad has a higher chance than Paper Mario because Paper Mario comes from a spin-off series, while Toad originates from a mainline game?
I don't know, why not ask Waluigi?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So after playing Min Min for a bit, here are my rankings. I play casually, so no competitive criteria matter to me—it’s about uniqueness, attachment and fun.

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Hero
3. Joker
4. Byleth
5. Min Min
6. Terry

My biggest wants out of those in the passes were B&K and Joker (or a Persona character), though Joker’s not as fun to play as I pictured a Persona character being. Hero and Byleth were pleasant surprises when playing them.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Toad is unlikely based on the fact that Sakurai is clearly disinterested in the character more than anything.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
yeg
We need more leaks and rumors, even they turn out to be fake. COVID has impacted a lot of release schedules; By the time Nintendo has everything 100% in order, it'll be time for the next Nintendo Direct anyways. There's only one solid release date from the Big N, and Paper Mario isn't a big request, so according to the Smash fandom there's no major releases. Also, we just got Min Min, so any attempted leaks would be drowned out anyways.
Let's go over whatever we have at the moment, no matter how minor!
  • The LoL leak, that's still a thing, right?
  • CacoMallow, I think the general consensus is that it's on death's door, moving on.
  • A couple Touhou trademarks filed around February, including the Hakurei Shrine. Maybe she was to be the starter until COVID shoved everything back, or maybe I'm just biased.
  • Some Rayman trademarks too, kinda like with Banjo. Don't know the full specifics, but i think that's noteworthy.
  • As we all know, Spirit fanrule is dead. Yay for the 10000000th time!
  • That old girl with flying weapon thing from a while back, why do we keep bringing this back up? Has the grave not been defiled enough?
...We really need more material.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Frankly it's semantics. You'll find definitions that cast everyone but the main character as a supporting character (who isn't an outright minor character), and you'll find definitions that all the most important characters as main characters. But one is more main than the others, and it's not Geno.

That's hardly the point of my post, though. You understand the point I was making. I mean that quote was originally a reply to you.
I know, and I understand. Still, if you mean Mario is more of a main character than Geno, I have to disagree. I mean, Mario barely does much as a character and with his role to have anything centered around him in the game. Geno, on the other hand, is different. There is more centered around him than there is around Mario, let alone the other playable party characters. He may not exactly be the main focus here, but I would argue that with some things being about him and what he is connected to, like the Star Road and all, I'd say he is more of a main character than Mario.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have to agree. That makes a ton of sense, too. Plus, with all the cries for Geno, I am not sure if a Mii costume for him, even though it is possible, is going to cut it for the fans, you know what I mean?
Premium also sounds like a slap in the face.

Besides that, the silly belief that it wasn't removed from Hero cause it was a DQ focus. ...I might've gotten the negatives wrong, but the point is is that it makes perfect sense. They actually cared massively about pushing DQ. The only thing not DQ-related were the amiibo, and that was understandable. The costumes definitely were controlled to which are in which pack. We also clearly see that there's no Mii costume patterns, and honestly, maybe only a few costumes were changed around even then. Geno and Chocobo Hat were probably planned for Hero but changed out when it made no sense to release them there, and there's not exactly a lot of proper chances since then to bother with. Then you have Heihachi's costume, which is also easy to change out to another fighting game character. It's possible he was changed out to Min Min due to similar mechanics, making him fit better there. He was probably meant for Terry.

Notice how the only costumes that seem like they belong with characters are SE and Namco-Bandai? The rest actually are random grab bag ones. They make sense to be random since there's no fitting character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Welp, guess we now know what the sequel to ARMS will be like...

In all seriousness, though, I think Geno is possible, but I wouldn't exactly call him likely. If Sakurai was still calling most of the shots, I think his chances would be higher, but with Nintendo and (potentially) SE in the picture, plus the currently returning Mii Costumes, I'm not sure he has a good shot.

It does beg the question, however - of all the Mii Costumes yet to return, Geno and Chocobo were the only ones who, in Smash 4, specifically came paired up with a character from the same company. So... if they want to bring the costumes back, they would probably come with another Square character.

But then again, I'm not sure if (or how much) Nintendo would go for a double dip in any of the companies in FP1 considering there are still a few iconic games from companies without a playable character. I suppose time will tell.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Premium also sounds like a slap in the face.

Besides that, the silly belief that it wasn't removed from Hero cause it was a DQ focus. ...I might've gotten the negatives wrong, but the point is is that it makes perfect sense. They actually cared massively about pushing DQ. The only thing not DQ-related were the amiibo, and that was understandable. The costumes definitely were controlled to which are in which pack. We also clearly see that there's no Mii costume patterns, and honestly, maybe only a few costumes were changed around even then. Geno and Chocobo Hat were probably planned for Hero but changed out when it made no sense to release them there, and there's not exactly a lot of proper chances since then to bother with. Then you have Heihachi's costume, which is also easy to change out to another fighting game character. It's possible he was changed out to Min Min due to similar mechanics, making him fit better there. He was probably meant for Terry.

Notice how the only costumes that seem like they belong with characters are SE and Namco-Bandai? The rest actually are random grab bag ones. They make sense to be random since there's no fitting character.
Yeah, it does (That's about the first line, by the way).

It doesn't help that they did not show a Geno costume at all in previous DLC releases, which have partly built up hype for Geno. That said, if a Geno costume was revealed in this pass at anytime, then all the speculation and hype would be all for nothing, and Geno fans would be so angry. On the third thing you said, though, I don't imagine any other Square-Enix character that a Geno costume could be revealed with in a future pass character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know, and I understand. Still, if you mean Mario is more of a main character than Geno, I have to disagree. I mean, Mario barely does much as a character and with his role to have anything centered around him in the game. Geno, on the other hand, is different. There is more centered around him than there is around Mario, let alone the other playable party characters. He may not exactly be the main focus here, but I would argue that with some things being about him and what he is connected to, like the Star Road and all, I'd say he is more of a main character than Mario.
You can say he's more of a main character than Mario if you want, but I can't say anyone who is relevant in making Smash-related decisions is going to agree with you.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, it does (That's about the first line, by the way).

It doesn't help that they did not show a Geno costume at all in previous DLC releases, which have partly built up hype for Geno. That said, if a Geno costume was revealed in this pass at anytime, then all the speculation and hype would be all for nothing, and Geno fans would be so angry. On the third thing you said, though, I don't imagine any other Square-Enix character that a Geno costume could be revealed with in a future pass character.
It's unfortunate, but it could easily happen. It'd probably be worse in the end if Geno didn't get his costume back if he wasn't playable. The only good thing about Premium is possibly some music, but we clearly see that's just an option, not a core part.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You can say he's more of a main character than Mario if you want, but I can't say anyone who is relevant in making Smash-related decisions is going to agree with you.
Personally, I don't care. Plus, that is just one possible thing I could argue about, not something I'd outright say, as that was more of a figurative wording, if I am using that word right. Either way, I am pretty sure that whether Geno is the main character or not, he is no supporting character, given the story.

But that was just one game, as you know. Plus, there are other factors against the likelihood of him joining in Ultimate. You should know about those pretty well.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's unfortunate, but it could easily happen. It'd probably be worse in the end if Geno didn't get his costume back if he wasn't playable. The only good thing about Premium is possibly some music, but we clearly see that's just an option, not a core part.
Come to think of it, while Geno not being play able would maybe be a bad thing against Sakurai. He did say he wanted Geno since Brawl, and if he changed his mind and did not add Geno into Smash Bros. Ultimate, I'd say the fans will not look back at all that in a good way, you know what I mean? He is not obligated to put in Geno, but unless he has a good reason for not adding him, well; the fans won't go easy on him, perhaps.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
So after playing Min Min for a bit, here are my rankings. I play casually, so no competitive criteria matter to me—it’s about uniqueness, attachment and fun.
I guess I'll throw in my personal ranking of the DLC characters too in terms of fun, want, and general feel. I haven't played comp since Smash 4, so this isn't based off of viability at all.

1. Banjo - My most wanted of the DLC, and arguably Smash Bros in general, even though his moveset isn't too deep, I'm comfortable enough with him to make him my main and never look back.

2. Byleth - I was surprised how much I ended up liking them, especially considering how much I was bummed at their initial reveal. I did end up playing 3H though, so that made me warm up to them. Their attacks feel laggy and a lot of their moves need commitment, but it's fun to catch people with the spear, hammer, and arrow. They're my secondary now.

3. Min Min - Even though it's only day 1 with her, I want to make her a secondary really badly. I feel that in order to use her to her fullest potential I need to unlearn most of my smash muscle memory though. The megawatt is soooo satisfying to hit.

4. Hero - I like Hero's gameplay a lot, the only thing that brings me down is his random down-b. I don't like using characters that have too much randomness to them, and I find that when I play him I barely use his down-b.

5. Joker - I played a lot of this guy when he came out, as I am a SMT/Persona nerd. However, I just kinda stopped playing him after a while, not because he's bad, but just because his playstyle doesn't really click with me.

6. Terry - I only knew of this guy because of MUGEN, and I really have no emotional attachment to him. I played him a few times and he's definitely good (his GO specials are fun to land), but I never really had the attachment to him to continue playing him seriously.

StormC

Smash Hero
Come to think of it, while Geno not being play able would maybe be a bad thing against Sakurai. He did say he wanted Geno since Brawl, and if he changed his mind and did not add Geno into Smash Bros. Ultimate, I'd say the fans will not look back at all that in a good way, you know what I mean? He is not obligated to put in Geno, but unless he has a good reason for not adding him, well; the fans won't go easy on him, perhaps.
Sakurai knows better than anybody that some people will be upset if certain characters don’t get in.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, Geno doesn't seem in a very good place. Not only he still has a few things going against him, but more importantly he's always lacked actual arguments going for him. Here's what information I would look at if I were Nintendo :

- He's barely the most important character in his only one appearance in a game. This has been proven to be a very important thing for character candidates.
- His one game was not very successful, especially for something that should have been very hype as a crossover between two giants (Nintendo and Square Enix), in the end it was one of the least successful Mario game and not very successful for a Square Enix RPG.
- Being both a Mario character and a Square character, he has the most competition one could have. Mario has many big fishes left : Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario, etc. Square Enix also has a lot left : Sora, Bravely, Lara Croft, 2B, Neku ...
- His only strong point is fan demand, but he is not even first. Very few character got in by fan demand, they were all more dominant and had other strengths besides fan demand. It seems only one character at best will get in by fan demand this pass, so Geno would have to be first, but he isn't.
- Sakurai seems to like him, but Sakurai probably like a lot of things, he is such a big gaming fan. Even if, by chance, Geno is Sakurai's most wanted, that wouldn't really help. Sakurai insisted several times that Nintendo chose the characters, not him, he's basically saying "I wish but no Geno sorry, don't hate me plz"
- He's a perfect fit for a mii costume, both for his proportions and his moveset. So it's kind of a waste to use a fighter slot for him while a mii costume represents him decently, much better than most characters.
- Smash 4 costumes seem to come back regularly, this is a very clear and logical pattern, so it would make sense for him to come back as a costume
- Now we also now that some spirit will be upgraded to a mii costume, probably a deluxe one. This is one more pattern where Geno fits perfectly

Even if none of these things can kill a character's chance if they are looked at independently, that's quite a lot to overcome as a whole. And I don't see anything more that Geno would have to compensate for these things. At this point, I don't really understand how one could think Geno is likely, besides baseless superstition.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If they are mainstay like Wario, then yes I do believe spin offs count. I also do believe Toad has a much higher chances then Paper Mario simply on the bases of the fact we already got two Mario's in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It'd probably be on SE or Nintendo at that point. Sakurai literally got him as a spirit too. That already tells us he still cares.

Overall, I don't see any reason he'd say no personally if given the opportunity. It's not impossible he changed his mind, but with the two core things out of the way, that just leaves Geno. FF and DQ make sense to prioritize at the time. Especially when one has to consider getting into SE's good grades is a reasonable thought. Worth noting I don't believe Sakurai got those two first to "make it so SE would be willing to give Geno" as some kind of actual deal. It's more realistic priority for influential series. SMRPG isn't influential on gaming as a whole, and he knows that. He went for bigger stuff from SE first. That's fair.

Yeah, and that's true. He isn't obligated to do so. At this point, though, if Nintendo presents Geno, he's probably going to ask SE and either we get him in or not. I doubt Sakurai is the deciding factor on yes/no which his current position is yes.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I just realized that Olimar's Classic Mode is basically Fox's and Rosalina's...which is space. So, I decided to revise his to be themed around giant opponents.

I call it: Sizable Smash (Fights giant characters)

Round 1: Giant :ultrob: (team battle w/:ultfalcon:) on :distantplanet: (Main Theme - PIkmin (Original))
Round 2: Giant :ultridley: on Gerudo Valley (Step: The Plain)
Round 3: Giant :ultsquirtle: on Tortimer Island (Super Mario Bros. 3 Medley)
Round 4: Giant :ultkrool: (Stamina Battle, 120HP) on Garden of Hope (Dark World (Brawl))
Round 5: Giant :ultyoshi::ultduckhunt: on Living Room (Bandit Valley)
Round 6: Giant :ultgnw:x4 (horde battle) on Find Mii (Step: Subspace Ver. 3)
Final Round: :ultbowser:, then Giga Bowser

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sakurai knows better than anybody that some people will be upset if certain characters don’t get in.
It'd probably be on SE or Nintendo at that point. Sakurai literally got him as a spirit too. That already tells us he still cares.

Overall, I don't see any reason he'd say no personally if given the opportunity. It's not impossible he changed his mind, but with the two core things out of the way, that just leaves Geno. FF and DQ make sense to prioritize at the time. Especially when one has to consider getting into SE's good grades is a reasonable thought. Worth noting I don't believe Sakurai got those two first to "make it so SE would be willing to give Geno" as some kind of actual deal. It's more realistic priority for influential series. SMRPG isn't influential on gaming as a whole, and he knows that. He went for bigger stuff from SE first. That's fair.

Yeah, and that's true. He isn't obligated to do so. At this point, though, if Nintendo presents Geno, he's probably going to ask SE and either we get him in or not. I doubt Sakurai is the deciding factor on yes/no which his current position is yes.
I was just stating a possibility, as I am a possibilities kind of guy. Still, intentional or not, I can see some people being upset at Sakurai, or by extension with some different reasons, Square-Enix and Nintendo.

Still, to you, Beth, you do have points. Sakurai may not be the one to say no, but more importantly, Geno and the one game he is from is not influential to the world of gaming for, well, reasons. That is another obstacle for him to overcome. Speaking of which, Sakurai may have rules that he did not say, not including the fan rules, of course. I am sure he would not say no to Geno, but considering the latter is from a spinoff, I wonder if Sakurai realized that Geno is not that big of a character and not much of an important one, even though he does like him? Whatever the case, I do see some Geno fans rate Geno's chances higher than maybe Sakurai wants him in.

Either way, yes, he is not really the deciding factor here.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just don’t see the point of the hypothetical “but fans will be disappointed if he didn’t put in this character.” There will always be characters that miss out and most characters put in Smash are not the kind that vocal Internet fans constantly demand. He can’t put in all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom