• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Sakurai really does have such little say on the matter as he claims, he really doesn’t have anything planned after Fighter Pass 2, and may be entering retirement soon after fighter 11 is out, I wonder if Nintendo is planning on appointing a new director or something for a potential Fighter Pass 3 or Ultimate Deluxe. I mean if they’re already so heavily involved in character choices and the rest of the team had more say so in movesets this time around, why wouldn’t they be? I don’t think anyone would be upset about Sakurai passing the torch to another Director I just wonder what this means for the future of Ultimate.

Will they do a Fighter Pass 3 of like 4 characters so to test this new director or will they throw him in the deep end to get to work on Ultimate Deluxe or a brand new entry. Either way, if Sakurai really isn’t coming back after this Pass, Smash is about to get shaken up quite a bit.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I swear to God I'm not making this story up.

I was searching Google for the Super Mario Land manga where you see Mario's penis, and I found our actual ARMS representative.
wario-land-super-mario-land-3-luigi-mario-wario-48861935.png

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
What do you guys think of potentially a Gen 8 Pokemon getting in? I think it's rather likely, personally. I'd hope for my favorite starter Rillaboom, but there's a few good options.
I think it's likely. Sure, there was a spirit event, which lessens the chances a little. But it is Pokemon, so there are like 80 more they can use for a spirit board; of particular note are Eternatus, Urshifu, Calyrex, Wooloo, and Gigantamax Kanto starters (hello easy and obvious use of Pokemon Trainer's mons, giant-sized). I want a gen 8 rep; Toxtricity is my favorite, but I like all the frontrunners.

I was searching Google for the Super Mario Land manga where you see Mario's penis, and I found our actual ARMS representative.
A man of Chuggaaconroy culture, I see.

M@R!3

Smash Ace

Did I read that right?

Oh god, I did.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why do Splatoon, Arms and this all have the same weird candy-like asthetic?
Ah so that's why I don't care much for Arms and Splatoon's art style and why I like none of the characters.

View attachment 268440
Why did you feel the need to say that you were looking for Mario's penis?

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ah so that's why I don't care much for Arms and Splatoon's art style and why I like none of the characters.

Why did you feel the need to say that you were looking for Mario's penis?
Cause it's an hilarious transition from searching that to finding the true FP6 fighter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The what?
Yep, Mario strips off (in front of Princess Daisy no less) in the Super Mario Land manga adaptation.

It's played for comedy like Bart's skateboarding scene in the Simpsons movie but completely uncensored.

SKX31

Smash Master
The one true anime swordsman

Not pictured: sword
Who needs a sword when you've got one puncokay I'll stop now.

Yep, Mario strips off (in front of Princess Daisy no less) in the Super Mario Land manga adaptation.

It's played for comedy like Bart's skateboarding scene in the Simpsons movie but completely uncensored.
And I who thought that Mario Zone was the weirdest thing to come out of SML2...

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
What do you guys think of potentially a Gen 8 Pokemon getting in? I think it's rather likely, personally. I'd hope for my favorite starter Rillaboom, but there's a few good options.
I think it's likely, Cinderace is my favorite of the Gen 8 Pokémon starters, but my overall favorite for Gen 8 is Zacian.

The only problem is, she'd probably conflict with my most wanted Amaterasu. So if Amaterasu doesn't make it (regardless of her chances), I'd want Zacian, otherwise I'd like Cinderace.

View attachment 268440

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Smash just isn't Smash without Sakurai. It'd be wise to make Ultimate the final game or at least have an spin-off but we know that isn't happening as the series makes ton load of money and really popular.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Smash just isn't Smash without Sakurai. It'd be wise to make Ultimate the final game or at least have an spin-off but we know that isn't happening as the series makes ton load of money and really popular.
I associate Smash more with the characters in it more than I do whoever is behind the scenes making the decisions. If a new director can do an adequate job, then there's no reason to just off a franchise.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I don't see the problem with Sakurai leaving, a lot of franchise see director change and are doing very fine, like Zelda is probably doing better than ever without Miyamoto.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
After all the years of work Sakurai has done and for all of us. The man deserves it.

Hoping to see he starts doing smaller projects like an sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
KIU was a pretty hefty game, wouldn't exactly call it a "smaller project" But I'd be like to what Sakurai does after Smash Ultimate, though I imagine the dude probably wants a decent break.

If there's really gonna be more First Party characters, I wouldn't be too surprised if it was a Pokemon. Though there's not many I'm attached too for Gen 8.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Friendly reminder that if you have an idea for you most wanted character’s Classic Mode route, you can create one in this thread!

BESPOKE:

How about no? Seriously, there’s no way one could honestly do all this without sucking out all their unique gameplay styles.
I disagree. Stats wise, they're relatively balanced, so giving them a shared stats spread as a single fighter in Smash isn't too bad. Ninjara may lose some speed and Min Min may gain some length to her punches, but overall its not that far fetched.

Likewise, none of these characters' unique abilities would be strange to see the other characters perform. The ARMS character has to have a parry and multiple jumps because of Smash's mechanics, so that takes care of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl. Likewise, Min Min's kick can easily be worked in as a neutral or up air, and it wouldn't be strange to see Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, or Ninjara kick. The only slightly difficult one is Ninjara's teleport, seeing how that's pretty personal to his ninja identity, but it still wouldn't be that odd to see the other cartoony characters vanish into smoke.

In terms of having multiple ARMS, it's likely that a glove-type arm will be mostly used with maybe a curve-type arm or multi-shot arm as a special move. Based on what little we've seen, Nintendo seems to really be going all-in on the ARMS character's range as their primary gimmick, so it makes sense they'd want to use the most vanilla arm to show off this idea. This would basically apply to any character who got in, regardless of their personal abilities. If Joker, Hero, and Byleth lost some of their identity to better show off the themes and mechanics of Persona 5, Dragon Quest, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses, it's highly likely the same will happen to the ARMS character regardless of who they are.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
To get people to talk about ARMS and checking out all the characters.
And play the free trial that was on offer last week to probably squeeze the last bit of full sales before the game gets “Players Choice” price cut (which we’re hitting just about that time in the system’s lifespan, I would predict Splatoon 2, ARMs, Mario Kart 8 deluxe, NSMBU deluxe, Kirby, and that joy con tech demo to be 20 dollar “players choice” games with a price drop announced in either June or Q3. I base this speculation off nothing.)

So I’m reading posts talking about a gen 8 pokemon being the most likely first party rep past arms in the demo.

So let’s have fun with it! Play the game by saying your top 5 galarian pokemon reps for smash:

5) Rillaboom (Starters are traditional, except grass hasn’t had one yet, has a gmax form for final smash. Probably the most likely)
4) Wooloo (because there needed to be some reason your rival kept throwing out his damn Wooloo)
3) Corviknight
2) Galarian Rapidash
1) SirFetch’d

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
After seeing this:
I have a good feeling that if we get another first party character, it's a good chance Burton, and Berecca (supposed main characters from Ninjala), can be a fair contender for DLC.

From what I've seen gameplaywise, I think they're alright, but I'd be disappointed they got in instead of Elma or other first party choices.
How does everyone else feel about them, and there chances for DLC?
It's kinda sad that Nintendo is extremely so low with interesting titles this year, that people are now wanting an extremely cheap looking game in Smash, because it vaguely looks like a other Nintendo game

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think a new Zelda character is quite likely to get into Smash through DLC. I have no idea who yet. As we know next to nothing about the upcoming game, but I can't shake the feeling that we might get a character from BotW2.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
And play the free trial that was on offer last week to probably squeeze the last bit of full sales before the game gets “Players Choice” price cut (which we’re hitting just about that time in the system’s lifespan, I would predict Splatoon 2, ARMs, Mario Kart 8 deluxe, NSMBU deluxe, Kirby, and that joy con tech demo to be 20 dollar “players choice” games with a price drop announced in either June or Q3. I base this speculation off nothing.)

So I’m reading posts talking about a gen 8 pokemon being the most likely first party rep past arms in the demo.

So let’s have fun with it! Play the game by saying your top 5 galarian pokemon reps for smash:

5) Rillaboom (Starters are traditional, except grass hasn’t had one yet, has a gmax form for final smash. Probably the most likely)
4) Wooloo (because there needed to be some reason your rival kept throwing out his damn Wooloo)
3) Corviknight
2) Galarian Rapidash
1) SirFetch’d
5. Inteleon
4. Cinderace
3. Obstagoon
2. Dragapult
1 Zacian/Zamazenta (Counting them as one since I feel like it's cheap to have them occupy two spots on the list).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I disagree. Stats wise, they're relatively balanced, so giving them a shared stats spread as a single fighter in Smash isn't too bad. Ninjara may lose some speed and Min Min may gain some length to her punches, but overall its not that far fetched.
This I agree with for he most part. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, and Ninjara do have very similar speeds. Not so much for the other character (they're often slower), but these four are probably the most similar in regards to speed. (I don't really know what ARM girth does so that wouldn't bother me either.)

Likewise, none of these characters' unique abilities would be strange to see the other characters perform. The ARMS character has to have a parry and multiple jumps because of Smash's mechanics, so that takes care of Spring Man and Ribbon Girl.
Nope. Spring Man's deflect barrier is not the same as Super Smash Bros.'s parry mechanic. It's something that happens after you stop charging, not shielding. In fact, ARMS also has a parry mechanic, it's just called something different, and is less noticeable (though more useful) when you pull it off.

Spring Man is an all-rounded character, so giving him Ribbon Girl's emphasis on aerial play would be weird.
EDIT: In fact, aside from Ribbon Girl, Dr. Coyle, and I think Mechanica, jumping is a bad idea in general, so Ribbon Girl's gimmicks wouldn't make sense on Ninjara or Min Min either.

Likewise, Min Min's kick can easily be worked in as a neutral or up air, and it wouldn't be strange to see Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, or Ninjara kick.
I hate the idea of the kick being turned into an offensive move. That's not it's purpose. And yes, it would be strange to see Spring Man kick; He's a boxer, not a mixed martial artist like Min Min. It also doesn't quite jive with the light and airy Ribbon Girl's personality.

The only slightly difficult one is Ninjara's teleport, seeing how that's pretty personal to his ninja identity, but it still wouldn't be that odd to see the other cartoony characters vanish into smoke.
Yes it would. There is no indication that they can do that. It'd be like if Donkey Kong, Kirby, Bowser, or the Ice Climbers started ninja vanishing for no reason.

In terms of having multiple ARMS, it's likely that a glove-type arm will be mostly used with maybe a curve-type arm or multi-shot arm as a special move. Based on what little we've seen, Nintendo seems to really be going all-in on the ARMS character's range as their primary gimmick, so it makes sense they'd want to use the most vanilla arm to show off this idea. This would basically apply to any character who got in, regardless of their personal abilities.
This I agree with. I doubt any character wouldn't have access to their default ARMS, but I don't see them allowing Min Min to use the Dragon ARM in her normals or anything like that.

Last edited:

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
If Sakurai really does have such little say on the matter as he claims, he really doesn’t have anything planned after Fighter Pass 2, and may be entering retirement soon after fighter 11 is out, I wonder if Nintendo is planning on appointing a new director or something for a potential Fighter Pass 3 or Ultimate Deluxe. I mean if they’re already so heavily involved in character choices and the rest of the team had more say so in movesets this time around, why wouldn’t they be? I don’t think anyone would be upset about Sakurai passing the torch to another Director I just wonder what this means for the future of Ultimate.

Will they do a Fighter Pass 3 of like 4 characters so to test this new director or will they throw him in the deep end to get to work on Ultimate Deluxe or a brand new entry. Either way, if Sakurai really isn’t coming back after this Pass, Smash is about to get shaken up quite a bit.
I missed a lot of pages, so could u send me a link if this comes from an article unless it is just people speculating

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Forum game:

People whine there are too many “anime sword users” in smash.

But people love games with anime sword users.

So what I’m going to ask you all you to do is double the amount of characters in season 2’s fighter pass and give me for each slot except the first one: An anime swordsman you want, and then a non-“anime swordsman” character you want. Except for the first slot, where your wanted slot will go to an ARMs character(s). The (s) because you can make alts if you want.

FP6 Arms: Lola Pop (Lanky Kong alt)
FP6 anime sword: Crono

FP7 want: Bonk
FP7 anime sword: Lloyd/Cless “Tales” rep

FP8 want: Ring Fit Adventurer
FP8 anime sword: Goemon (Konami)

FP9 want: Mike Jones
FP9 anime sword: Takamaru

FP10 want: Captain Syrup
FP10 anime sword: Sora

FP11 want: Bandana Dee
FP11 anime sword: Yoshimitsu (Soul Calibur)
FP6: Twintelle
FP6 anime sword: Sora

FP7: Crash Bandicoot
FP7 anime sword: Sephiroth

FP8: Master Chief
FP8 anime sword: Saki (Sin and Punishment)

FP9: Spyro
FP9 anime sword: Dante

FP10: Paper Mario
FP10 anime sword: Lyn

FP11: Krystal
FP11 anime sword: Demise with Ghirahim

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's kinda sad that Nintendo is extremely so low with interesting titles this year, that people are now wanting an extremely cheap looking game in Smash, because it vaguely looks like a other Nintendo game
He didn't say he wanted it though, just that he thought it was likely. He also thought it was a Nintendo game even though it isn't. To be fair though so did I.
Here's what I'd like.
#5: Rillaboom-The objectively best starter pick with no bias whatsoever. I'd like it to be a more basic character and not have some rhythm mechanic shoved in.
#4: Toxtricity-I love the design, but I never got the chance to click with it in game so eh.
#3: Cramourant-Gulp Missile. 'Nuff said.
#2: Orbeetle-I never expected to love this Pokémon, but here we are. It's also unlike other potential newcomers so people won't be able to say "I wanted this mechanic/motif on a character I actually care about".
#1: The Weapon Doggos-Bet'cha can't guess why I like these two!

Here's what I expect:
#5: Intelleon-Super spy starter that has clicked with a lot of people, and is getting a Gigantamax form soon.
#4: Cindrace-The objectively worst starter pick with no bias whatsoever. It's the most popular of the trio for some reason, and is getting a Gigantamax form soon.
#3: Toxtricity-The most popular of the Galar Pokémon, who's getting a Gigantamax form soon.
#2: Calyrex-The pick if it's one of the later characters. At least it wouldn't be boring.
#1: Urshifu-The pick if it's one of the earlier characters (though #5-#3 have more of a shot here). Probably the worst pick period.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

3) Corviknight
2) Galarian Rapidash
1) SirFetch’d
5) Inteleon (If I had to choose a starter)
4) Sirfech'd
3) Cramourant (yes, the bird thing)
2) Grimmsnarl
1) Mr. Rime

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Imagine if they added Cramourant, and then gave it's Gulp Missile extra utility:
  • It picks up item this way, and does more damage when throwing them.
    • Just imagine it firing the Daybreak while holding it in it's mouth. Glorious.
  • It uses it in it's throws.
  • One of its Special Moves, Surf, will give it various small characters such as:
    • Arrocuda
    • Pikachu
    • Mr. Saturn
    • Keeby
    • Prince Tricky
    • Bob-omb
    • Toad
    • Boney

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Play the game by saying your top 5 galarian pokemon reps for smash:

3) Corviknight
2) Galarian Rapidash
1) SirFetch’d

5. Dracovish
4. Centiskorch
3. Mr. Rime
2. Falinks
1. Flapple

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

3) Corviknight
2) Galarian Rapidash
1) SirFetch’d
5. Cinderace
4. Dracovish
3. Rillaboom (AKA: Baboom)
2. Zacian and Zazamenta
1. Toxtricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom