• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
He just doesn't want to get screwed over by everyone's definition of anime

see: Do Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra count as anime or cartoon debates.
Honestly, I kinda wish we just do that like we do RPGs and JRPGs, if that makes any sense.
That said if anything anyone that wants Goku for an video game fighting game. Injustice is your series.

He and Izuku/All-Might are the only anime characters I feel would fit perfectly.
Well, it's a good thing I finally started watching My Hero Academia.
Also you could settle the Superman v. Goku debate yourself.
Something a thousand of internet warriors still fight about.
Death Battle: Am I a joke to you?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Death Battle: Am I a joke to you?
You mean the show where they have an faulty love for their No Limit Fallacies (Dante vs. Bayonetta, Scorpion vs. Ryu, Gaara vs. Toph and Bowser vs. Ganondorf notably)? I agree with Superman being the winner but don't agree with their reasoning notably of being limitless. The butthurt from the DBZ fans was so great they had to make an round 2 episode to prove a point.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So given now that:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool:and:ultridley:are in who do you consider is the new Holy Trinity?

I'm guessing Isaac, Sora and Waluigi.
Holy trinity doesn't actually exist if you need to push it to another group of requested character s who all have largely varying numbers of supporters

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Holy trinity doesn't actually exist if you need to push it to another group of requested Chas who all have largely varying numbers of supporters
Agreed. To be honest I wouldn't consider Banjo & Kazooe, Ridley, and King K. Rool to be a holy trinity in the first place because 1, King K. Rool support didn't really exist until the ballot, and 2, there are tons of widely requested characters, not just 3.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm pretty sure we've had three or four "holy trinities" by now. I remember :ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool: at one point. I also remember :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:.

At this point, no character comes close to qualifying for any kind of holy trinity or whatever list people want to use to exaggerate how popular their character is. The fanbase hasn't really unified behind a single character in over a year, and a lot of the most popular requests today have a large amount of opposition.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So let’s have fun with it! Play the game by saying your top 5 galarian pokemon reps for smash:

5) Rillaboom (Starters are traditional, except grass hasn’t had one yet, has a gmax form for final smash. Probably the most likely)
4) Wooloo (because there needed to be some reason your rival kept throwing out his damn Wooloo)
3) Corviknight
2) Galarian Rapidash
1) SirFetch’d
1. Baboom
2. Baboom
3. Baboom
4. Baboom
5. Baboom

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure we've had three or four "holy trinities" by now. I remember :ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool: at one point. I also remember :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:.

At this point, no character comes close to qualifying for any kind of holy trinity or whatever list people want to use to exaggerate how popular their character is. The fanbase hasn't really unified behind a single character in over a year, and a lot of the most popular requests today have a large amount of opposition.
I honestly forgot that Mewtwo was excluded in future games until Smash 4 DLC. Those were good times.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Agreed. To be honest I wouldn't consider Banjo & Kazooe, Ridley, and King K. Rool to be a holy trinity in the first place because 1, King K. Rool support didn't really exist until the ballot, and 2, there are tons of widely requested characters, not just 3.
That's some revisionist history right there. King K. Rool in general exploded in the lead up to Smash 4's release, particularly 2014 prior to the actual ballot and even DLC really.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That's some revisionist history right there. King K. Rool in general exploded in the lead up to Smash 4's release, particularly 2014 prior to the actual ballot and even DLC really.
K. Rool picked up speed around the same time Ridley was undeniably deconfirmed (October 2014 Smash Direct for Smash Wii U). Before then, I think most of the attention was on Mewtwo and Ridley, but K. Rool was still a popular request nonetheless.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I just learned Max Brass is 52 years old. That makes me want him to be the ARMS rep even more. We need more older people reps!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A part of me is kinda wondering if the ARMS rep is Max Brass. Lore and story wise he's the most important to the franchise. It wouldn't surprise me tbh.

He'd also be quite an unique heavyweight so that's one thing going for him.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So given now that:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool:and:ultridley:are in who do you consider is the new Holy Trinity?

I think the new holy trinity is Geno, Sora and Crash. They all have huge support, fan theories everywhere, fanart, etc. Waluigi support is still pretty big, but not as big as the other 3 I've mentioned I think and Isaac support slow down even more because his franchise is most likely not coming back any time soon.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think the new holy trinity is Geno, Sora and Crash. They all have huge support, fan theories everywhere, fanart, etc. Waluigi support is still pretty big, but not as big as the other 3 I've mentioned I think and Isaac support slow down even more because his franchise is most likely not coming back any time soon.
Isn't there some kind of conspiracy theory about a new Golden Sun, though?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Isn't there some kind of conspiracy theory about a new Golden Sun, though?
The only theory I saw about Golden sun is that some people think that Camelot might be working on a new Golden sun because after Mario tennis aces they didn't announce their new project. But honestly I'd be shocked to see something else than a new Mario sports game from Camelot for now.

blackghost

Smash Champion
A part of me is kinda wondering if the ARMS rep is Max Brass. Lore and story wise he's the most important to the franchise. It wouldn't surprise me tbh.

He'd also be quite an unique heavyweight so that's one thing going for him.
max brass isnt the most important to arms lore. That's dr. coyle. she basically impacted everyone in the tournament in some way. basically she's bison.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If anyone is out of place in that trinity it's Banjo, lots of people have always voiced that they'd love to see him when he was brought up, but he was barely ever actually brought up in conversations before Ultimate. His role in Smash speculation has had more in common with Cloud than Ridley and K. Rool imo.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
K. Rool picked up speed around the same time Ridley was undeniably deconfirmed (October 2014 Smash Direct for Smash Wii U). Before then, I think most of the attention was on Mewtwo and Ridley, but K. Rool was still a popular request nonetheless.
My point was that he was gaining steady momentum in the months leading up to Smash 3DS' reveal. There was a collective anguish leveled at no new DK content when ESRB leaked and King K. Rool was able to roll right into the ballot with the perfect timing for a peak in his Smash popularity honestly.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If lore importance mattered to Smash inclusion (so far there’s no evidence of that), we’d have Ghirahim as a playable character. He’s pivotal in the overarching story of Zelda.

Edelgard is arguably the most important character to the plot of Three Houses. Byleth is obviously the main protagonist, but the events of the story don’t really happen without Edelgard.

I’m not convinced being “important to the lore” matters when Smash is a crossover mascot fighter.

That’s also why I get the feeling the ARMS character is Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl alt. Upon reflection, I’m not sure that a Hero situation works as well. Spring Man is the face of the game just like Tracer is for Overwatch. I don’t think we’d see somebody from Overwatch over Tracer. That’s because she’s the cover girl.

If it’s not Spring Man (who would be completely unique to Smash regardless of his “lameness” in ARMS), the only other option would be Min Min because of popularity. But I also don’t know that I buy popularity always having the biggest impact in a post-ballot, Nintendo pick world.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Most Japanese video game characters are inspired by old anime or toku characters.
The smash fanbase entire premise of trying too disavow anything anime has always been dumb.

Samus's design is just a big Space Adventure Cobra reference. She's unironically more anime than the FE characters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
X

I didn't hear a peep from King K. Rool until he became the big bandwagon pick.
EDIT: That's not to say he didn't have fans, but he did get a healthy dose of popularity from perceived likelihood.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
There wasn't a holy trinity of never evers before and there isn't one now. Ridley is the undisputed most consistently requested character throughout the Smash series. Even compared to K. Rool and Banjo he was on a whole other level on his own. Right now there isn't a character similair to Ridley in terms of requests or controversy. The closest character I can think of is Waluigi due to how both are purple, had a Nintendo figure address their deconfirmation, and got memed to death by the fanbase.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The only theory I saw about Golden sun is that some people think that Camelot might be working on a new Golden sun because after Mario tennis aces they didn't announce their new project. But honestly I'd be shocked to see something else than a new Mario sports game from Camelot for now.
There is that, but I've also heard something about a new trademark? I'm no lawyer, though, so I can't say anything on that.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
If Max Brass is the ARMS character chosen it won't be because Sakurai thought "this character is vital and crucial part of the ARMS lore." It'll be because of something that appeals to him like "haha swole man gets swoler."

In regards to who the fans want and talk about the most right now, probably Sora.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Let's not forget Geno. As much as people love to hate him, he's still a very popular character and has been requested as long as Ridley and King K. Rool.

he was barely ever actually brought up in conversations before Ultimate.
Banjo & Kazooie were brought up all the time during the Smash ballot era. What are you talking about?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There wasn't a holy trinity of never evers before and there isn't one now. Ridley is the undisputed most consistently requested character throughout the Smash series. Even compared to K. Rool and Banjo he was on a whole other level on his own. Right now there isn't a character similair to Ridley in terms of requests or controversy. The closest character I can think of is Waluigi due to how both are purple, had a Nintendo figure address their deconfirmation, and got memed to death by the fanbase.
The trinity was a relatively new thing that happened during the Wii U era. Otherwise it was Ridley and only Ridley.

If Max Brass is the ARMS character chosen it won't be because Sakurai thought "this character is vital and crucial part of the ARMS lore." It'll be because of something that appeals to him like "haha swole man gets swoler."
Sakurai isn't choosing the fighter from ARMS anyway. It seems to be at the request of the ARMS developers. So maybe the lore is important to them.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Lore, Personality and Merchandise are the holy trinity of things that don't actually affect roster inclusion but supporters will lean on them when there's nothing more substantial in constructing an argument around a character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Lore, Personality and Merchandise are the holy trinity of things that don't actually affect roster inclusion but supporters will lean on them when there's nothing more substantial in constructing an argument around a character.
At the very least, I think frequent merchandise of a character together with other things like continuous appearances in ads, anime, manga, and other forms of media can be used to make a case for why a character would be more likely than one who lacks all of those things.

But if we're looking at merchandise alone, then yeah, it's pretty stupid to say, "I SAW THREE TOAD PLUSHIES AND A TOAD COFFEE MUG AT GAMESTOP!! GET HYPED BOIS!!"

D

Deleted member

If lore importance mattered to Smash inclusion (so far there’s no evidence of that), we’d have Ghirahim as a playable character. He’s pivotal in the overarching story of Zelda.

Edelgard is arguably the most important character to the plot of Three Houses. Byleth is obviously the main protagonist, but the events of the story don’t really happen without Edelgard.

I’m not convinced being “important to the lore” matters when Smash is a crossover mascot fighter.

That’s also why I get the feeling the ARMS character is Spring Man with a Ribbon Girl alt. Upon reflection, I’m not sure that a Hero situation works as well. Spring Man is the face of the game just like Tracer is for Overwatch. I don’t think we’d see somebody from Overwatch over Tracer. That’s because she’s the cover girl.

If it’s not Spring Man (who would be completely unique to Smash regardless of his “lameness” in ARMS), the only other option would be Min Min because of popularity. But I also don’t know that I buy popularity always having the biggest impact in a post-ballot, Nintendo pick world.
Is ARMS lore even that interesting? The most I know about it is that Min Min is a bowl of ramen given human form. Yup. Deep character right there.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If anyone is out of place in that trinity it's Banjo, lots of people have always voiced that they'd love to see him when he was brought up, but he was barely ever actually brought up in conversations before Ultimate. His role in Smash speculation has had more in common with Cloud than Ridley and K. Rool imo.
And tbh Ridley and Rool are just lumped together because they happened to be villains that both got in. Prior to their confirmation they were just only two characters out of a loose fitting group that also included the likes of Dixie Kong, Krystal, Geno, Isaac, etc. There is no "trinity".

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
There is that, but I've also heard something about a new trademark? I'm no lawyer, though, so I can't say anything on that.
In september 2019 Golden sun trademark was renewed, and in January of this year they renewed Golden sun: dark dawn trademark, but honestly it means nothing. They need to renew trademark for game even if no new games are planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom