• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Heihachi is among my 6 predictions I think he's definitely getting in as its rather suspicious his Mii costume didn't return with Terry along with Sakurai having considered him who for all we know could had found a way to make him work as it was 6 years ago just like how he thought Ridley never would had yet got in. That will break the "Protagonist first".

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Protagonist first" isn't a steadfast rule, but it's prevalent enough to be the reasonable expectation in like 95% of cases.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And I find it pretty ironic you are saying this is a fanrule that will be broken yet you did say that Waluigi is deconfirmed and won’t happen because of the assist trophy fan rule. Not really sure you are in a place to say it tbh
I'm of the belief that's the only one that won't be happening. I just don't see Assist promotions being too likely especially after work being done in the game.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
"Protagonist first" isn't a steadfast rule, but it's prevalent enough to be the reasonable expectation in like 95% of cases.
Agreed. I feel like there are a few exceptions, like we saw with Pikachu. Interestingly, a lot seem to come from fighting games (Heihachi, Scorpion and Subzero, Nightmare, etc). But still... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the protagonists first, especially with third parties. I still remember the Hero vs. Slime discussions...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All these fan rules remind me of a few old ones that were pretty stupid in hindsight.

Remember when everyone thought BotW Link couldn't get in because Ganondorf wasn't in BotW and all Zelda characters except Toon Link had to have the same design? Or how about when they thought Isabelle couldn't get in because Smash can't have innocent, cutesy characters like her getting destroyed by Ridley?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Some words of wisdom from Mr. Gamexplain:

I do find this a bit ironic considering how they jumped the gun today when it came to Nintendo not being at E3 when all it took was a really simple fact check.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly one thing you have to consider with Pikachu and Jigglypuff in Smash 64 is that the Pokemon Trainer concept, as it currently is now, probably wouldn't of worked on the hardware back then.

Not even the 3DS could handle it. Which is why only Charizard came back for Smash 4.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll say this. If we don't get FP6 by March or April. E3 it'll be.

Which will not matter as I got other things to look forward to especially Spawn and Kombat Pack 2 in March and plenty of movies.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
All these fan rules remind me of a few old ones that were pretty stupid in hindsight.

Remember when everyone thought BotW Link couldn't get in because Ganondorf wasn't in BotW and all Zelda characters except Toon Link had to have the same design?
I think one of the most infuriating things I ever saw was people making mockups for a theoretical BotW Ganondorf just so they could justify Calamity Ganon getting shoehorned yet again into the Falcondorf moveset.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I do find this a bit ironic considering how they jumped the gun today when it came to Nintendo not being at E3 when all it took was a really simple fact check.
I do see the irony as well, ha ha. I like to think this message here extends to them somewhat as well. :laugh:

In general, it's just good to wait until the company themselves say something. Even if a rumor looks "reputable", there's always a good chance it can be fake.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
What really annoys me about this line of thought is people treating observations/theories as baseless "fan rules" even if they have actual merit.

It's true that certain arguments, like relevance and the idea that

Remember when everyone thought BotW Link couldn't get in because Ganondorf wasn't in BotW and all Zelda characters except Toon Link had to have the same design? Or how about when they thought Isabelle couldn't get in because Smash can't have innocent, cutesy characters like her getting destroyed by Ridley?
Those aren't really fan rules. The former was a pretty reasonable observation for the time, especially since they specifically designed a Twilight-Princess style Sheik for Brawl, and they stuck with the TP theme in Smash 4 even after Skyword Sword came out. Even then, "everyone" is a bit of an exaggeration; I recall a lot of people expecting a full BOTW rework for Link. The latter also sounds like a joke.

Honestly, it's annoying to see all of these arguments dismissed as "fan rules." Fan rules usually refer to ideas that limit speculation by creating universal restrictions to potential newcomers ("Third parties can only be from those that have appeared on Nintendo consoles at least once," "Assist trophies can't be ugraded to DLC"), and they have next to no evidence supporting them. The same doesn't really apply to arguments revolving around things like "relevance," which actually does matter, even if it's not to the extent that some people like to claim in order to dismiss certain characters.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd be down with this. FF7 has turned me into a pretty big fan now, so I'd love to see more games come to Switch.
Eh, there was a long period(NES/SNES era) where FF was my favorite series in video game.

Now, I can't stand it anymore. As every game that comes out is further and further from the types of games I loved.

FF6 was the pinnacle. **** Nomura, he ruined FF forever.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I have played a bit of Tales of Vesperia, and while I like Lloyd, I think I already like Yuri a lot more than him, lol
But for Smash I guess Lloyd would be more different and unique thanks to the dual swords.

Honestly one thing you have to consider with Pikachu and Jigglypuff in Smash 64 is that the Pokemon Trainer concept, as it currently is now, probably wouldn't of worked on the hardware back then.

Not even the 3DS could handle it. Which is why only Charizard came back for Smash 4.
Also, Jigglypuff was an easy addition thanks to Kirby, and Pikachu is ****ing Pikachu, the most well known Pokémon in the entire world.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What really annoys me about this line of thought is people treating observations/theories as baseless "fan rules" even if they have actual merit.

It's true that certain arguments, like relevance and the idea that

Those aren't really fan rules. The former was a pretty reasonable observation for the time, especially since they specifically designed a Twilight-Princess style Sheik for Brawl, and they stuck with the TP theme in Smash 4 even after Skyword Sword came out. Even then, "everyone" is a bit of an exaggeration; I recall a lot of people expecting a full BOTW rework for Link. The latter also sounds like a joke.

Honestly, it's annoying to see all of these arguments dismissed as "fan rules." Fan rules usually refer to ideas that limit speculation by creating universal restrictions to potential newcomers ("Third parties can only be from those that have appeared on Nintendo consoles at least once," "Assist trophies can't be ugraded to DLC"), and they have next to no evidence supporting them. The same doesn't really apply to arguments revolving around things like "relevance," which actually does matter, even if it's not to the extent that some people like to claim in order to dismiss certain characters.
There's no hard definition for the word "fan rule", which is exactly why people shouldn't be so insulted whenever it's used.

What you define as "observations" could be defined as a "fan rule" by someone else.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I mean, there's more to a moveset than just one special, which is Gran's case. I do feel like other characters have more interesting normals. Katalina uses a rapier, which is a style of swordplay we haven't seen in Smash yet, and combines it with magic. Lancelot uses two blades. Charlotta is a small, lightweight swordfighter.
Also, the way Gran is represented in Versus is very limited because they clearly meant for him to be the simple, recognizable shoto of the game. In Granblue proper Gran/Djeeta have access to every job, weapon and summon of the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
you're right, But im mostly getting annoyed with the constant pointing out tweets that arent about the direct and less about the damn direct

Hopefully you know I aint actually going to throw rocks, right?
Well, what else besides toilet paper would you throw?

Might as well go all out.

Anyway, I agree. Like, I want a simple character announcement to justify buying the FP2(I want something to hype me up), but I agree this is getting a bit too much.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
you're right, But im mostly getting annoyed with the constant pointing out tweets that arent about the direct and less about the damn direct

Hopefully you know I aint actually going to throw rocks, right?
Well your avatar is holding a gun, so I wouldn't exactly put it past you. :ultpacman:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Also, the way Gran is represented in Versus is very limited because they clearly meant for him to be the simple, recognizable shoto of the game. In Granblue proper Gran/Djeeta have access to every job, weapon and summon of the game.
Aah, that would certainly make them more interesting in my opinion, yes. But even so... would they give Gran or Djeeta access to all of that? Or would they stick with a more basic set like in Versus?

I.D.

Smash Lord
Aah, that would certainly make them more interesting in my opinion, yes. But even so... would they give Gran or Djeeta access to all of that? Or would they stick with a more basic set like in Versus?
Just last week Sakurai said he's trying to give sword characters more unique stuff to do. So he probably wouldn't make them Ryu with a sword.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
There's no hard definition for the word "fan rule", which is exactly why people shouldn't be so insulted whenever it's used.

What you define as "observations" could be defined as a "fan rule" by someone else.
Plus, there's not much precedents set since this is the second time Smash has done DLC and it's the first time they've supported it to this extent.

Do spirits deconfirm? Who knows?
Can Assist trophies be upgraded? Beats me!
What about Poké Ball Pokémon? We'll see...

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
They’re honestly not even worth paying attention to anymore.

The same argument could’ve been made when he disguised some leaks as “predictions”, and then proceeded to lead KOS-MOS fans on into thinking she was at the VGAs.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

The same argument could’ve been made when he disguised some leaks as “predictions”, and then proceeded to lead KOS-MOS fans on into thinking she was at the VGAs.
Or rather people read too much into what he was saying and got themselves hyped up for nothing.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I was thinking of possible mobile game newcomers and PLAGUE INC FOR SMASH

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
At least this wasteland on the Switch will allow me to revisit some of the games I enjoyed but only played through once or twice.

Imma go play Lego city and start the new rescue helicopter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Leading people on would imply that was a deliberate move on Jon, who kept saying "Guys I'm just speculating please stop"

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Granblue will be the first mobile franchise represented if Nintendo chooses any, but the only mobile rep I will ever advocate is PAD.

D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone. I pretty much guess that there isn't anything interesting at the moment....

I'll say this. If we don't get FP6 by March or April. E3 it'll be.

Which will not matter as I got other things to look forward to especially Spawn and Kombat Pack 2 in March and plenty of movies.
I don't honestly expect it. But hey, I'm working on college stuff and fanfiction.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I do think the Coronavirus may have affected Nintendo's current plans right now if the Animal Crossing Switch console going through a production delay is anything to go by.

Staying safe is pretty important. Although we'll probably hear whining about the Direct delay if it's indeed true.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
The whole "protagonist first" dealie does kind of suck, someone shared these interactions of Ladiva with me and now I want to see her in Smash in some capacity.
Wait a minute.
Is that Ragna's voice actor as an effeminate wrestler???

Nice!

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking of possible mobile game newcomers and PLAGUE INC FOR SMASH
Pandemic came first, video game history wise. Not that it would be any serious smash business but it makes me wonder if Sakurai would choose the finanically successful one, or the original idea...
I guess these types of decsions Sakurai has to pour over all the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do think the Coronavirus may have affected Nintendo's current plans right now if the Animal Crossing Switch console going through a production delay is anything to go by.

Staying safe is pretty important. Although we'll probably hear whining about the Direct delay if it's indeed true.
Which is ridiculous. If a major illness is the issue, that's one of the best reasons for a delay, if not worth praising Nintendo for caring about the health of their employees first and foremost.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

I still throw up in my mouth thinking back to when people were vocally furious that a Direct was delayed due to a devastating earthquake striking Japan, leaving behind untold amounts of damage and literally taking innocent lives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom