• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
So who got axed by the spirit board exactly ? Alll i know is the general sentiment of "no one had to die this time" when cuphead was announced.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Glad to see everyone's as chill as ever and is handling this wait with nothing short of gracefulness and dignity.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Not going to lie, as someone who is a fan of not just Nintendo, but gaming in general, everything that transpired today (No Direct, potentially no E3) is incredibly aggravating to witness.

I’m guessing by all of this that they literally got nothing this year aside from Animal Crossing. And NM3 doesn’t even have a proper release time frame.
Comparing this to Sonys already announced slate? Truly laughable.

To all of the investors out there, I honestly feel really bad for you guys. You are all investing in an incredibly erratic company who almost never gives any transparency on their plans until the very last minute. And even if they do finally buckle, there is always a small chance they can just say “HERE IS A BUNCH OF PORTS AND REMASTERS BECAUSE WE ARE FRESH OUT OF IDEAS!!!!” like last September.

Lol.
I see someone isn't taking the upteemth failure of so called insiders well

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If anything, no Smash reveals at E3 would be a good thing.

Does anyone actually miss "they can't reveal Hero at E3, he's not popular in the USA!" arguments?
I think you might be taking people's nonsense a bit too much to heart if a few comments like those are enough for you to say that no reveal at E3 would be a good thing. It's generally not a good idea to let a few rotten apples dictate what you want.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Hold on, did we make more predictions and guarantees that a direct was gonna happen again on a certain time and day?

I can't believe we were wrong.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still banking on an March Direct. It only makes sense given the new Animal Crossing game comes out on that month and before its release they'd probably want to give out more info regarding it.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Well this is quite a situation. No Direct this week it seems). I really do think Nintendo splurged most of their big games last year and released too many games at once. While it lead to a great year for the Switch, it's leaving this year to be quite dry. We got Smash DLC, Pokemon DLC, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Animal Crossing, No More Heroes 3, Bravely Default 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles. A kinda decent lineup so far, but not a lot that would push sales extraordinarily. They have to have other things planned.

If you ask me, I don't think we are getting Bayonetta 3, BOTW 2, or Metroid Prime 4 this year. Metroid Prime 4 and BOTW 2 just started development (or restarted development) last year and in the case with BOTW 2, it takes a huge amount of time to make games that big and expansive. When it comes to Bayonetta 3, god knows where that game is in terms of development. Maybe it will come out this year, but it's kind of getting close to Pikmin 4 level of "we are working on it, don't worry, we will release it sometime in the future".

I'm sure Nintendo has something up their sleeves. The SKUs, the announcements rolling in...it's leading to something I can just feel it.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, a March direct is pretty much guaranteed at this point. Directs and Direct announcements rarely happen this late into the month and January already was kind of a blowout. (unless it actually turns out corona was behind the drought all along, jokes on me if that'sthe case) That does make Fighter 6 info when it does eventually happen a bit likelier on the bright side.

...Tho apparently informing people about that makes me a deluded fool looking for patterns and grasping at straws, trying to predict Nintendo's behaviour using obscure statistics.

I just had a shoddy Reddit experience if you couldn't tell.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well this is quite a situation. No Direct this week it seems). I really do think Nintendo splurged most of their big games last year and released too many games at once. While it lead to a great year for the Switch, it's leaving this year to be quite dry. We got Smash DLC, Pokemon DLC, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Animal Crossing, No More Heroes 3, Bravely Default 2, and Xenoblade Chronicles. A kinda decent lineup so far, but not a lot that would push sales extraordinarily. They have to have other things planned.

If you ask me, I don't think we are getting Bayonetta 3, BOTW 2, or Metroid Prime 4 this year. Metroid Prime 4 and BOTW 2 just started development (or restarted development) last year and in the case with BOTW 2, it takes a huge amount of time to make games that big and expansive. When it comes to Bayonetta 3, god knows where that game is in terms of development. Maybe it will come out this year, but it's kind of getting close to Pikmin 4 level of "we are working on it, don't worry, we will release it sometime in the future".

I'm sure Nintendo has something up their sleeves. The SKUs, the announcements rolling in...it's leading to something I can just feel it.
Personally, I think that there's a 80% chance we're getting a 2D/2.5D Metroid game this year. I don't know what other major Nintendo titles could come out this year, but I'm really feeling Metroid 5.

Faso115

Smash Lord
If Half-Life happens, i want Headcrabs to be featured.

But they arent exactly good boy material. Take a quick look at the Zombies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If Half-Life happens, i want Headcrabs to be featured.

But they arent exactly good boy material. Take a quick look at the Zombies.
Headcrab is almost guaranteed to be Mii headgear if Half-Life happens. Nintendo just has to clean their texture of anything red and it's good to go. Headcrab Zombies definitely ain't happening as a cameo or even a spirit though, and unlike Mai Shiranui Sakurai probably wouldn't point out their absence because he would (hopefully) know that it would just invite kids to look up "Headcrab Zombie" and witness that nightmare fuel.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
See? Nothin' to worry about. Just gotta remember to treat rumors as exactly that, just rumors. Speculation about 'em is all well and dandy, but expecting anything out of 'em can often lead to disappointment.

This post was made by the "People who Believed Emily Rogers about Mother 3 Localization" Gang.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so Famitsu releases every Thursday. I feel like we’ll get a general direct before next Thursday that covers AC:NH, Xenoblade DE, and perhaps a FP6 teaser a la Joker and Terry.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What madness did I miss going down?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
See? Nothin' to worry about. Just gotta remember to treat rumors as exactly that, just rumors. Speculation about 'em is all well and dandy, but expecting anything out of 'em can often lead to disappointment.

This post was made by the "People who Believed Emily Rogers about Mother 3 Localization" Gang.
Mother 3 has been localized (it's been localized for a while), it just hasn't been released. It may never get released.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Glad to see everyone's as chill as ever and is handling this wait with nothing short of gracefulness and dignity.
Why thank you.

In all seriousness, I do believe we will get information by March.
Not necessarily Smash information but definitely Nintendo information.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Mother 3 has been localized (it's been localized for a while), it just hasn't been released. It may never get released.
I remember Vergeben saying Nintendo had a localization but didn’t know a good month to release it in, though he said it back in 2018 or so, so I assumed it was likely false...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I see this happening:

February has a few more announcements, but nothing big. March has a general direct on March 12th. Smash is teased there, but we're told to wait a month. March also has the long awaited Animal Crossing direct, the week before (March 5th). April gives us CP6, or at least something significant to tide us over until E3, on April 16th. Nintendo goes quiet afterwards, letting May come and go, until around the time of E3 where they release/reveal & release CP6, and reveal CP7. The rest of the year is a mystery after that.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
No Direct this week. Not too surprised, considering that we just got Byleth two weeks ago with them being announced almost a couple weeks prior to their release date as well as the Pokemon Direct a week prior to that. Looks like we'll see if anything comes later this month, especially if there is the Animal Crossing direct that is rumored to be on the 20th.

Also it has been 161 days since the last general direct — the longest drought ever between general directs.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Can I have a summary of said nothing?
I started a new job and haven't been following things as much
Apparently the latest scoop in insidertown was that there would be a nintendo direct this week and it didn't happen

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, a March direct is pretty much guaranteed at this point. Directs and Direct announcements rarely happen this late into the month and January already was kind of a blowout. (unless it actually turns out corona was behind the drought all along, jokes on me if that'sthe case) That does make Fighter 6 info when it does eventually happen a bit likelier on the bright side.

...Tho apparently informing people about that makes me a deluded fool looking for patterns and grasping at straws, trying to predict Nintendo's behaviour using obscure statistics.

I just had a shoddy Reddit experience if you couldn't tell.
You went on Reddit. That was your first mistake.

But what happened anyways? Did you dare to have an opposing opinion from everyone else?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sidenote, Granblue Fantasy VS has sold exceptionally well for a fighting game in Japan, I'm certain Gran/Djeeta will be the next big darkhorse picks after such positive reception from the FGC
I really wouldn't mind a Garanblue Fantasy character, but wasn't FP Vol 2 finalized before Versus came out?

Even if we do end up getting them, it wouldn't have much to do with it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How about an new game?

Characters that would fit as Season 2 Pass opener.

-2B
-Crash Bandicoot
-Dante
-Phoenix Wright
-Travis Touchdown

Are ones who comes to mind.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I really wouldn't mind a Garanblue Fantasy character, but wasn't FP Vol 2 finalized before Versus came out?

Even if we do end up getting them, it wouldn't have much to do with it.
That's true but I meant moreso from the community, Granblue VS sold itself on the IP like DBFZ did but outsold DBFZ in Japan, now that the IP is more wellknown people will talk about it more and Granblue will gain a sizeable chunk of requests now like Dante, Doomslayer, KOSMOS, pretty much every other bandwagon did

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
What madness did I miss going down?
"Oh no. Nintendo is commiting business suicide by revealing nothing about their games or dlc foe the next bajillion years."
->
"False alarm, Gameexplain was wrong. Nintendo is not skipping e3."

"Oh no, podcast deconfirms sora."
->
"False alarm, people are just bad at telephone. Misinformation was abounding."

"Def getting a direct this week."
->
"False alarm, leakers lie."

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sidenote, Granblue Fantasy VS has sold exceptionally well for a fighting game in Japan, I'm certain Gran/Djeeta will be the next big darkhorse picks after such positive reception from the FGC
I originally didn't care much for Granblue getting representation in Smash, but after checking out VS and downloading Granblue Fantasy on my mobile I'm cool with this happening now. Versus really made me interested in the series.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which leakers actually said it'd be this week? MandyCan, who is largely unproven?

Even Zippo, who is also unproven, said there'd be two Directs (general and AC) in February. He didn't say there'd be one this week.

To my knowledge, none of the most credible ones said anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom