• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Just a few things to note.

1. The direct could be in March and even if it was this month, how do we know smash news will be in it? FP1 just wrapped up and I doubt they'll give us FP2 so soon.

2. Sakurai mentioned that Fighter 6 would be the one that takes a while so I bet Chief/Sora (or even KRATOS) will be the 6th fighter in FP2.

3. Crash would suck as the first fighter in FP2. I'd rather have Doomguy, and for me, that choice is like choosing to drown or to be shot. Both unpleasant. Though I'd be happy for others for getting their picks of course.

4. Personally, I wish Smash did what DBFZ does with their fighter packs. They reveal 2 fighters right off the bat then keep the others a secret. It sucks not knowing.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Guess it has been a while since the direct. Although I wouldn’t be too surprised tho if Nintendo’s plans may have shifted slightly due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus in China.

I would assume it would just affect their shipment of hardware related parts, but who really knows how it’s upsetting the company internally and how it could trickle down to the smash development team.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Guess it has been a while since the direct. Although I wouldn’t be too surprised tho if Nintendo’s plans may have shifted slightly due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus in China.

I would assume it would just affect their shipment of hardware related parts, but who really knows how it’s upsetting the company internally and how it could trickle down to the smash development team.
We're gonna learn its real, scientific, name this week. No Direct, but the Wuhan Coronavirus will be named.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Not going to lie, as someone who is a fan of not just Nintendo, but gaming in general, everything that transpired today (No Direct, potentially no E3) is incredibly aggravating to witness.

I’m guessing by all of this that they literally got nothing this year aside from Animal Crossing. And NM3 doesn’t even have a proper release time frame.
Comparing this to Sonys already announced slate? Truly laughable.

To all of the investors out there, I honestly feel really bad for you guys. You are all investing in an incredibly erratic company who almost never gives any transparency on their plans until the very last minute. And even if they do finally buckle, there is always a small chance they can just say “HERE IS A BUNCH OF PORTS AND REMASTERS BECAUSE WE ARE FRESH OUT OF IDEAS!!!!” like last September.

Lol.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not going to lie, as someone who is a fan of not just Nintendo, but gaming in general, everything that transpired today (No Direct, potentially no E3) is incredibly aggravating to witness.

I’m guessing by all of this that they literally got nothing this year aside from Animal Crossing. And NM3 doesn’t even have a proper release time frame.

To all of the investors out there, I honestly feel really bad for you guys. You are all investing in an incredibly erratic company who almost never gives any transparency on their plans until the very last minute. And even if they do finally buckle, there is always a small chance they can just say “HERE IS A BUNCH OF PORTS AND REMASTERS BECAUSE WE ARE FRESH OUT OF IDEAS!!!!” like last September.

Lol.
Well, I see you're handling the wait gracefully and totally not at all salty.

Also, if you think Sony is a paragon of creativity that doesn't recycle ideas and ports, boy howdy do I got a bridge to sell to ya.

This is incredibly over dramatic. Nintendo not having a Direct doesn't mean they don't have anything to show, all it means is they're not ready to show it yet, and yelling and screaming about it won't make it come sooner. Y'all need to chill.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Lol.
y'all really need to chill

it's only a bunch of video games

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Who even care about e3 today? I think it's actually good news that they're not at e3, they could bring their products to a way more larger audience than that small Los Angeles centre. Also they will most likely still do a June direct.

MooMew64

Most ironic part about all of this is people are yelling "They have nothing!!!!" when they've already made announcements for some of what to expect:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions Deluxe
PMD in early March
Pokemon Home launching
Pokemon SwSh DLC (which looks pretty dang meaty, BTW)
Byleth in Smash
FE DLC
Fighter Pass 2 being announced
Animal Crossing in late March
Xenoblade Remake is slated for this year
3rd party releases like NMH3

Yet people out here are acting like they've said nothing at all. Just admit it: Y'all ain't mad about the lack of news, y'all are mad because there isn't news catered specifically for you. :T

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Don't worry guys, there are plenty of things to entertain us in the coming months while we wait on more Smash news: PMD DX, New Horizons, RE3R, FFVIIR and more. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So uh, idk if this is allowed, but here is my FP Vol.2 wishlist:

What do you think?

osby

Smash Obsessed
If anything, no Smash reveals at E3 would be a good thing.

Does anyone actually miss "they can't reveal Hero at E3, he's not popular in the USA!" arguments?

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Does anyone actually miss "they can't reveal Hero at E3, he's not popular in the USA!" arguments?
My mindset was that he wouldn't be a great reveal at E3 alone.

That is why they revealed him alongside Banjo & Kazooie.

MooMew64

Another ironic thing about this is people will bash Nintendo to heck and back, but then all they gotta do is show a new Zelda trailer later this year and people will 180 back to "Oh wow, Nintendo is so incredible! Best gaming company ever, who could ever compete?"

I've been in this fandom for 10+ years now. I've seen this same song and dance countless times and it always ends the same way. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well good thing is is that my PS4 will probably get more usage time, don't really care about the recent Nintendo stuff since none of it looks interesting.
Like where's Bayonetta 3? Probably stuck in Inferno, even DMC5 came out before it.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
y'all really need to chill

it's only a bunch of video games
How come literally every single person who tells everyone to be patient always use the word “y’all” in their statements? Its literally like I am talking to the same person over and over again.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I don't. But fun times, none the less.

Now they probably know, that we know that THEY know, that we're expecting 2 character reveals for E3 again, like last year.
Which is why:

Urban Champion will be updated to the NES library on Switch instead :p

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
How come literally every single person who tells everyone to be patient always use the word “y’all” in their statements? Its literally like I am talking to the same person over and over again.
i live in the south, it's pretty much ingrained into my vocabulary at this point

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Well, I see you're handling the wait gracefully and totally not at all salty.

Also, if you think Sony is a paragon of creativity that doesn't recycle ideas and ports, boy howdy do I got a bridge to sell to ya.

This is incredibly over dramatic. Nintendo not having a Direct doesn't mean they don't have anything to show, all it means is they're not ready to show it yet, and yelling and screaming about it won't make it come sooner. Y'all need to chill.
At least Sony already announced their major games for the first half of this year.

Most ironic part about all of this is people are yelling "They have nothing!!!!" when they've already made announcements for some of what to expect:

PMD in early March
Pokemon Home launching
Byleth in Smash
FE DLC

Yet people out here are acting like they've said nothing at all. Just admit it: Y'all ain't mad about the lack of news, y'all are mad because there isn't news catered specifically for you. :T
DLC =/= brand new fully fleged games.

And again, nearly everything you stated falls into the port/remaster camp (Don’t see any difference in the Xenoblade one so far aside from upgraded visuals).

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I actually have so many game on my backlog that I'm not that mad about the lack of first party game announced right now on Switch. I need to finish: Blasphemous, My friend Pedro, Cadence of Hyrule, Astral chain, Luigi's mansion 3, Link's awakening remake. I'm also planning to do the whole Kingdom hearts franchise (the only game I did was the first 2 games on ps2).

That being said, I still wish we got at the very least, some release date to game already announced (No more heroes 3, Bayonetta 3, Xenoblade chronicles, botw 2). Animal crossing looks cool, but it's really not my type of game so I don't really cared personally about it. But at least I still have a lot of game to finish so I'm not complaining too much, I just wish the future wasn't that dark (not dark in the negative way but in the way that we have no idea what's really coming).

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
At least Sony already announced their major games for the first half of this year.

And again, nearly everything you stated falls into the port/remaster camp (Don’t see any difference in the Xenoblade one so far aside from upgraded visuals).
Bionis shoulder iirc

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm not gonna blame anybody for being a little restless at the lack news at the moment given the fact that what's been significant is either RPG focused with Pokemon and FE, is not terribly mindblowing like the release of maybe okayish NES/SNES online games, games with still no definitive release time beyond 2020 (NMH3, Xenoblade), or updates of the mixed variety (Animal Crossing saves, Pokemon Home issues, etc).

As the Wii U era taught me, a significant or steady stream of news is not always positive in terms of one's interest.

MooMew64

At least Sony already announced their major games for the first quarter of this year.

Content is content, and Sony operates waaaaay differently than Nintendo. Nintendo is going all in on the games as a service platform, and evidently, it's working, as all their DLC sells incredibly well. Also, for someone so eager to see Smash DLC, interesting you don't count DLC as meaningful content.

As for ports and remasters, again, Sony does that all the time too. In fact, every company does. Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drum, others be darned, and I love them for it.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about Nintendo or those investors: Their mobile games make bank, the Switch is currently sitting at 50+ million units and still selling, Pokemon SwSh have achieved 16 million in only two months, and there's no signs of that growth stopping. I'd say they must be doing something right. :p

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
because its faster then typing up "you all" at least, that my reason for saying yall. I heard it all my life in Virginia

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Content is content, and Sony operates waaaaay differently than Nintendo. Nintendo is going all in on the games as a service platform, and evidently, it's working, as all their DLC sells incredibly well. Also, for someone so eager to see Smash DLC, interesting you don't count DLC as meaningful content.

As for ports and remasters, again, Sony does that all the time too. In fact, every company does. Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drum, others be darned, and I love them for it.

Also, I wouldn't be too worried about Nintendo or those investors: Their mobile games make bank, the Switch is currently sitting at 50+ million units and still selling, Pokemon SwSh have achieved 16 million in only two months, and there's no signs of that growth stopping. I'd say they must be doing something right. :p
I get that every company does it.

Thing is though, there should be a balance. There is a reason why the last Direct rubbed me the wrong way: because there wasn’t a brand new title announcement that wasn’t a remake or port.

MooMew64

I get that every company does it.

Thing is though, there should be a balance. There is a reason why the last Direct rubbed me the wrong way: because there wasn’t a brand new title announcement that wasn’t a remake or port.
And you totally have every right to dislike it. Everyone has got the right to their own opinion.

However, at the end of the day, this wait isn't gonna impact Nintendo. People are stoked for XBC Remastered and a lot of people in general loved that Direct. The Switch's evergreen games are still moving units, and they definitely do have more games coming, they are just waiting until it's the right time to announce them.

Making good games takes time, and honestly? I'd rather they keep doing what they're doing and only announce games when they're 100% ready to be shown off. Sony has a nasty habit of promoting games waaaaay too early and then they take 2, 3, sometimes even longer years to come out after they're announced, and that's a bummer IMO.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Yeah, personally I can go for months without a direct.

I've mainly used my Switch for Smash only. And other than a few NES games, I've only beat:
- Celeste
- Sonic Mania (replayed)

Still got:
- Mario Odyssey (saving it for a stormy night)
- BOTW (it's really hard to get into it for me personally)
- Doom 2016 (playing it a bit, and it's next the next I'll be focusing on)
- Dragon Quest XI (currently focusing on this one)
- Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero

So yeah, I went to town on the holiday deals because I knew I'd be too poor to be able to buy anything this year.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say, Sakurai said he’d have a FP2 discussion in the next Famitsu right? How often does Famitsu release, and on what day of the week?

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
And you totally have every right to dislike it. Everyone has got the right to their own opinion.

However, at the end of the day, this wait isn't gonna impact Nintendo. People are stoked for XBC Remastered and a lot of people in general loved that Direct. The Switch's evergreen games are still moving units, and they definitely do have more games coming, they are just waiting until it's the right time to announce them.

Making good games takes time, and honestly? I'd rather they keep doing what they're doing and only announce games when they're 100% ready to be shown off. Sony has a nasty habit of promoting games waaaaay too early and then they take 2, 3, sometimes even longer years to come out after they're announced, and that's a bummer IMO.
I guess I see where you are getting at.

I will say this though, I probably wouldn’t have been as salty in my OP if literally the exact same day the rumor of Nintendo skipping E3 didn’t pop up.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
People wouldn't be this desperate for a direct if Nintendo had a better showcase at the game awards. At this point in time the only major title with a precise release date that we know for sure is coming is Animal Crossing. I have games that I'm excited for this year but they're either non-nintendo games or nintendo games with no official release date. At least I have Half-Life: Alyx to look forward to next month unless Valve Time strikes again.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

PMD in early March
Pokemon Home launching
Byleth in Smash
FE DLC

Not to mention the release of Shantae Seven Sirens.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
People wouldn't be this desperate for a direct if Nintendo had a better showcase at the game awards. At this point in time the only major title with a precise release date that we know for sure is coming is Animal Crossing. I have games that I'm excited for this year but they're either non-nintendo games or nintendo games with no official release date. At least I have Half-Life: Alyx to look forward to next month unless Valve Time strikes again.
Since you mentioned Alyx, I'd like to point out that the trailer just hit ten million views lately. I believe that it shows that Half-Life is a beloved IP and that the smash speculation scene probably shouldn't sleep on Gordon's chances.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I forgot Half-Life Alyx was coming out.
A. Because I don't have VR.
B. Because Half-Life has been MIA for so long that it's surreal to see a new entry in 2020.

In terms of desperation, I would like a direct to clarify release dates, but I got Xenoblade 2, Astral Chain, and DQ11S in my backlog right now along with countless other games.

For new characters, there are plenty I'd like to see, but will they make it? That is not for me to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom