• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Which leakers actually said it'd be this week? MandyCan, who is largely unproven?

Even Zippo, who is also unproven, said there'd be two Directs (general and AC) in February. He didn't say there'd be one this week.

To my knowledge, none of the most credible ones said anything.
The Direct is going to be on Friday just because they want to and it'll be announced tomorrow simultaneously throwing all the leakers under the bus as part of their newly set anti-leaker initiative.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Even Zippo, who is also unproven, said there'd be two Directs (general and AC) in February. He didn't say there'd be one this week.
He apparently voted yesterday in a poll that the direct would be tomorrow.

Can I mention how amazing it is that this guy Zippo, who nobody had heard about until a few weeks ago, suddenly became an "insider" due to resetera "verifying" him or some **** despite having no track record, got Byleth completely wrong, people kept believing him anyway, now gets another thing wrong, putting his score at 0/2, and we are probably still going to talk about him in the future?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Direct is going to be on Friday just because they want to and it'll be announced tomorrow simultaneously throwing all the leakers under the bus as part of their newly set anti-leaker initiative.
HAS there ever been a direct on Friday anyway?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That'd show us.

He apparently voted yesterday in a poll that the direct would be tomorrow.

Can I mention how amazing it is that this guy Zippo, who nobody had heard about until a few weeks ago, suddenly became an "insider" due to resetera "verifying" him or some **** despite having no track record, got Byleth completely wrong, people kept believing him anyway, now gets another thing wrong, putting his score at 0/2, and we are probably still going to talk about him in the future?
So did Imran Khan - who actually is fairly reliable.

Forming expectations based on informal poll results is dangerous for self-evident reasons.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Some words of wisdom from Mr. Gamexplain:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Which leakers actually said it'd be this week? MandyCan, who is largely unproven?

To my knowledge, none of the most credible ones said anything.
Going off of what other people said, Mandycan made a prediction that the direct was happening or being announced today-ish, something like that.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I don't know if this has been shared, but someone made a mockup of some Deluxe Mii Costumes.
IndieMiiCostumes.jpeg

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
You went on Reddit. That was your first mistake.

But what happened anyways? Did you dare to have an opposing opinion from everyone else?
Basically. This happened on the Switch sub btw:

"Hey guys. Just saying: F5ing Nintendo Twitter for the next few weeks and whining won't be worth it. Wait till March."

"Implying you can predict the great Nintendo, foolish mortal? You're using a pathetic fan theory. Initiating downvote beam!"

It's bit hyperbollic but there was a guy comparing my main point to this strawman argument he made up where we only ever had Nintendo Directs when Kobe was alive meaning we weren't gonna get anymore of them, I kidd you not...

I.D.

Smash Lord
Forming expectations based on informal poll results is dangerous for self-evident reasons.
Look man, I'm just not holding my breath for Nintendo to cram 2 directs together in the second half of february. "Here's how Zippo can still technically win" isn't going to convince me and according to Resetera's supposed rules he should have been banned after getting everything about FP5 wrong anyway, so can we move onto the next FOTM insider already?

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been shared, but someone made a mockup of some Deluxe Mii Costumes.
View attachment 262047
I see. Freddy should 100 percent not being in this game. A fnaf stage though...that could work.
The stage could be scary enough to be a unique addition, but because they are animatronics, tame enough to be in smash.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Look man, I'm just not holding my breath for Nintendo to cram 2 directs together in the second half of february. "Here's how Zippo can still technically win" isn't going to convince me and according to Resetera's supposed rules he should have been banned after getting everything about FP5 wrong anyway, so can we move on the next FOTM insider already?
You seem to be under the impression I'm defending people who made Direct claims.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I originally didn't care much for Granblue getting representation in Smash, but after checking out VS and downloading Granblue Fantasy on my mobile I'm cool with this happening now. Versus really made me interested in the series.
Agreed, based on what I saw of Versus so far. Only problem: Gran would (supposedly) have priority due to being the protagonist, instead of more interesting characters like Katalina or Lancelot. I don't dislike Gran per se, but... man, he (and Djeeta, the female counterpart) are just really bland to me, at least compared to other members of the cast.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Agreed, based on what I saw of Versus so far. Only problem: Gran would (supposedly) have priority due to being the protagonist, instead of more interesting characters like Katalina or Lancelot. I don't dislike Gran per se, but... man, he (and Djeeta, the female counterpart) are just really bland to me, at least compared to other members of the cast.
I swear only in Smashboards have I seen people refer to Katalina as an interesting character. I'll take Gran over her any day.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There is a meme on twitter that says "Gran players seeing something cooked with salt and peper for the first time" calling Gran bland and its just some dude flipping his ****

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The whole "protagonist first" dealie does kind of suck, someone shared these interactions of Ladiva with me and now I want to see her in Smash in some capacity.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I swear only in Smashboards have I seen people refer to Katalina as an interesting character. I'll take Gran over her any day.
There is a meme on twitter that says "Gran players seeing something cooked with salt and peper for the first time" calling Gran bland and its just some dude flipping his ****
I mean... maybe it's because my contact point with the series is Versus (as I said in my post), but... Gran has literally nothing in his moveset that caught my eye in that game.

Why do you think otherwise? An explanation is better than snark when it comes to convincing people, you know...

The whole "protagonist first" dealie does kind of suck, someone shared these interactions of Ladiva with me and now I want to see her in Smash in some capacity.
Ladiva's Super Skybound Art is one of the best supers I've seen in a fighting game in recent years. Change my mind.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Ladiva is the best. We need her to wrestle with Incineroar.

I love Lowain and the bros, though. I have a soft spot for them because my friend who is really into GranBlue told me all about their old Valentine's Day event as it was happening and then they got announced for the game just a short while later and we both got really excited.

I'm glad GBVS is opening up GranBlue to a wider audience. I don't play it, but the characters and music and world are all really neat.

Also, regarding Katalina, from what I can tell through talks with my friend she's a fan favorite and is part of a lot of really funny 4Koma comics, plus her moveset is cool.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I mean... maybe it's because my contact point with the series is Versus (as I said in my post), but... Gran has literally nothing in his moveset that caught my eye in that game.

Why do you think otherwise? An explanation is better than snark when it comes to convincing people, you know...
Id take anyone over her anyday. People only want Katalina because they saw one boob of her one time. Before someone posted a picture of her in a swim suit. no one cared about her

anyways #LowainForSmash

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Kinda. But what also sucks is that the generic young swordsman is almost always the protagonist in JRPGs.

"Protagonist first" wouldn't suck so much if Japan didn't always make the most boring character the protagonist.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I know nothing about the lore of Grandblue and the farthest I do know is that it started from a mobile game. But I gotta say, Zeta is kind of hitting the right spots for me right now especially after looking at her Super Skybound.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As usual Sakurai is just gonna break those so called fan made rules which includes the "Protagonist first".

Heihachi, Scorpion and Nightmare has the best shots in breaking it.

I.D.

Smash Lord
And Katalina does? Generic female knight with water skills. At least Gran gets to summon Bahamut.
Katalina is an incredibly bland character (though to be fair all members of the main crew are boring) who gets a free pass into games like Relink and Versus due to being the first party member you recruit in Granblue. Most players' experience with her will be using her SR version for the introductory/tutorial chapters and then ditching her as soon as you get other characters. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say she's probably the least popular character of the ones currently playable in Versus, being above Ladiva only.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ladiva is the best. We need her to wrestle with Incineroar.

I love Lowain and the bros, though. I have a soft spot for them because my friend who is really into GranBlue told me all about their old Valentine's Day event as it was happening and then they got announced for the game just a short while later and we both got really excited.

I'm glad GBVS is opening up GranBlue to a wider audience. I don't play it, but the characters and music and world are all really neat.

Also, regarding Katalina, from what I can tell through talks with my friend she's a fan favorite and is part of a lot of really funny 4Koma comics, plus her moveset is cool.
Yeah, Lowain is another good point. It's not like, say, Ryu, Terry or Sol, who are interesting characters in their own right regardless of the "protagonist first" deal. With Granblue, I feel like nearly every character I've seen in Versus would be a more interesting choice than Gran.

Id take anyone over her anyday. People only want Katalina because they saw one boob of her one time. Before someone posted a picture of her in a swim suit. no one cared about her

anyways #LowainForSmash
Okay, I'm going to assume you're just ****posting, then.

...#LowainForSmash, tho.

And Katalina does? Generic female knight with water skills. At least Gran gets to summon Bahamut.

Katalina is an incredibly bland character (though to be fair all members of the main crew are boring) who gets a free pass into games like Relink and Versus due to being the first party member you recruit in Granblue. Most players' experience with her will be using her SR version for the introductory/tutorial chapters and then ditching her as soon as you get other characters. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say she's probably the least popular character of the ones currently playable in Versus, being above Ladiva only.
I mean, there's more to a moveset than just one special, which is Gran's case. I do feel like other characters have more interesting normals. Katalina uses a rapier, which is a style of swordplay we haven't seen in Smash yet, and combines it with magic. Lancelot uses two blades. Charlotta is a small, lightweight swordfighter.

Honest question: do people in the GB fandom really prefer Gran that much over every other character? Seeing that kinda thing would be a first for me.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think you can rest safely in knowing that whichever Granblue character you don't want to see included almost definitely won't get included.

Of course the trade-off is neither will the one you want.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
As usual Sakurai is just gonna break those so called fan made rules which includes the "Protagonist first".

It's not so much a fanmade rule as it is an observation.

Smash tends to include the most recognizable characters from any given franchise, and that character is usually the protagonist. There are cases where the most recognizable character isn't the protagonist, and Heihachi happens to be an example, so he's the most discussed Tekken character in Smash speculation. The same applies to Sans from Undertale, Solaire from Dark Souls, etc.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Honest question: do people in the GB fandom really prefer Gran that much over every other character? Seeing that kinda thing would be a first for me.
When did I say I would prefer Gran over every other character? I said I would prefer him over Katalina. I would prefer lots of characters before her.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

It's not so much a fanmade rule as it is an observation.

Smash tends to include the most recognizable characters from any given franchise, and that character is usually the protagonist. There are cases where the most recognizable character isn't the protagonist, and Heihachi happens to be an example, so he's the most discussed Tekken character in Smash speculation. The same applies to Sans from Undertale, Solaire from Dark Souls, etc.
Monokuma from Danganronpa fits this bill too. He’s the antagonist, but he’s also the only constant in an otherwise revolving cast from game to game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I've said it numerous times already, but I don't really expect any Smash reveals until E3. If we get our Direct in March and nothing gets revealed, that would pretty much seal the deal for me. At that point, you might as well wait until E3 and do a shadowdrop if you can. Not much of a point in randomly revealing a character shortly before then like in April or May. Hero should serve as an example.

Either way, I'm not in a rush for news. New Horizons alone could probably keep me distracted until E3.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman

Hopefully for the last time no one legitimately uses that fanrule. I’m certain everyone knows protagonists only usually come first because they best represent the game they come from more than the mascot. And anyway Heihachi, Scorpion and Nightmare all come from series without set protagonists so they wouldn’t be breaking that rule even though it doesn’t really exist. And I find it pretty ironic you are saying this is a fanrule that will be broken yet you did say that Waluigi is deconfirmed and won’t happen because of the assist trophy fan rule. Not really sure you are in a place to say it tbh

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The "protagonsit first" was never a rule, because we have since Smash 64 Pikachu and Jigglypuff before the Trainer. The "rule" is that the chosen character needs to be easily recognizable. Most people will recognize more Pikachu than the generic trainer, and most people recognize more Sans than Frisk so Sans was chosed as a Mii. If Danganronpa is in it will 100% be Monokuma instead of the generic students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom