• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just can't see Rayman being a playable character considering how horrifically unpopular his game series is in Japan. And if Ezio was gonna be made playable, I don't think they would of showed off the AC Mii costume first, complete with the "Smash Bros. X Assassin's Creed" (except for the US steam for some reason) splash screen.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
complete with "Smash Bros. X Assassin's Creed" (except for the US steam for some reason) splash screen.
The weirdest thing about that is that NoA didn't censor Assassin's Creed in the Altair post in the in-game news section

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, who do you think has a 100% chance of getting in
Namco character in general - the Lloyd Irving, Heihachi Mishima and Gil (Tower of Druaga) Mii Costumes are likely to come back with a Namco rep doesn’t matter who

Ryu Hayabusa is probably a 99%. Heavily rumored but there’s a 1% chance he was bait.

VeryPurpleG

Smash Rookie
The next Fire Emblem protagonist.
I really don’t understand the problem with byleth. I get that there are like 8 characters, but no ones mad about the number of mario or Pokémon characters, and no one was mad when Roy was added as dlc for smash 4, and Lucas and mewtwo for that matter

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey also, why don’t the Byleth’s have emotes and premium post backgrounds yet

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I really don’t understand the problem with byleth. I get that there are like 8 characters, but no ones mad about the number of mario or Pokémon characters, and no one was mad when Roy was added as dlc for smash 4, and Lucas and mewtwo for that matter
Because Smash Fans hate animey swordsmen.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just can't see Rayman being a playable character considering how horrifically unpopular his game series is in Japan. And if Ezio was gonna be made playable, I don't think they would of showed off the AC Mii costume first, complete with "Smash Bros. X Assassin's Creed" (except for the US steam for some reason) splash screen.
That reason is speculated to have been changed due to US-Iran tensions with not wanting to use the word 'assassin' after America politically assassinated an Iranian general. Nintendo's done dumber things with translations
Also byleth was likely used as a marketing tool, just like cloud was
How the hell was Cloud a marketing tool? FF7R will never hit the Switch unless they downgrade it to oblivion and a port of FF7 released 4 years after Cloud got in Smash is hardly something they deliberately marketed then. They put Cloud in because he's Cloud ****ing Strife

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I don't think anyone is 100% certain but I do think Travis has a REALLY good chance of being in this pass.
But Kranke...Travis was deconfirmed!

As with Doom Slayer, Resident Evil, Astral Chain, Gen 8 Pokemon and non-video game characters.

Last edited:

VeryPurpleG

Smash Rookie
That reason is speculated to have been changed due to US-Iran tensions with not wanting to use the word 'assassin' after America politically assassinated an Iranian general. Nintendo's done dumber things with translations

How the hell was Cloud a marketing tool? FF7R will never hit the Switch unless they downgrade it to oblivion and a port of FF7 released 4 years after Cloud got in Smash is hardly something they deliberately marketed then. They put Cloud in because he's Cloud ****ing Strife
for final fantasy in general

Sans got his emote in a few hours too. Meanwhile Hero's alts still don't have stock icons and it's been 6 months
Sans?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I suppose swords and blue hair trigger an extreme case of PTSD in some people because "anime is evil" and it killed their families or some ****.

I personally love Byleth's inclusion since I'm a big fan of Three Houses, assuming that wasn't already obvious enough.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
for final fantasy in general
Then why is all the content of FF Smash ever had directly from 7? Final Fantasy is one of the biggest franchises out there and FF7 is one of the biggest gamechangers in the industry, the face of the ps1, the game that made JRPGs popular worldwide. If Cloud was marketing then so was literally everyone else

VeryPurpleG

Smash Rookie
I suppose swords and blue hair trigger an extreme case of PTSD in some people because "anime is evil" and it killed their families or some ****.

I personally love Byleth's inclusion since I'm a big fan of Three Houses, assuming that wasn't already obvious enough.
yea I love your profile pic demitri is bae, but I picked black eagles

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
People complained about Incineroar and the plant too. Granted for different reasons but those two franchises don't really get completely off scot-free either.
Heck I've seen some people already dreading the possibility of a Sword/Shield mon showing up in the second pass.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
VeryPurpleG VeryPurpleG My dude, please chill out with the quick replies/double posting. Someone already mentioned you can edit posts a page or 2 back.

Hey also, why don’t the Byleth’s have emotes and premium post backgrounds yet
Realize people don't all browse the Social thread (though that's not an excuse to treat this thread like one), but it was answered earlier by an admin.

https://smashboards.com/threads/social-thread-happy-birthday-snakefighter.484266/post-23821406

tl;dr, sooner than soon™

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm a little tardy to the Monster Hunter talks, but didn't the Monster Hunter team get really pissed when MvCI added Monster Hunter without their permission? That might be an issue for Smash, but Square Enix was also willing to make an exception on the "no having DQ Heroes fight each other" rule for Smash, so it may not even be an issue. As far as we know, the Monster Hunter team could be cool with having the Hunter appear in fighting games but just want to give their formal blessing first.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, who do you think has a 100% chance of getting in
Nobody right now. Only ones I'd ever thought were sure things were Ken and Inkling. There's not a single character out there right now who I feel like I'd be shocked if they weren't in

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If Travis Touchdown gets in the Fighter’s Pass, I’m gonna be angry that they didn’t reveal him in a super bowl commercial. And I don’t care if the Super Bowl isn’t as popular in Japan (idk if it is) or if it would’ve been way too hard and cost way too much money, it would’ve made me laugh and that’s all that matters
And yes the only reason I find it funny is because his last name is touchdown
My humor isn’t that advanced

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The reason is for a lot of people, Mario and Pokemon make sense because they're far more iconic and well-known among a casual audience, whereas Fire Emblem, while very popular, is not nearly as iconic, especially in the West, and is perceived more to be a marketing pick. It also doesn't help that most Fire Emblem characters are medieval-looking humans with a sword, half of which have blue-ish hair--doesn't allow for as much variety as with Pokemon, where creatures can take on many different forms/colors and variety. For instance, if the Fire Emblem cast in Smash was Roy, Robin, Lyn, and Byleth, I'd be cool with that representation--but I'm not the audience Sakurai is appealing to, and I recognize and accept that. JustJesss did a good video on the Fire Emblem situation, if you're curious why people have that bias against Fire Emblem. There's also the case that if a character's from a game you don't know or don't care about, you're not excited for that character (Terry's in a similar situation), and so it being the final character in the fighter's pass is a let down for those who don't care about Fire Emblem.

Though, I wouldn't say "no ones mad" about the number of Mario and Pokemon characters--I'm also not a fan of getting more Mario and Pokemon characters personally, because I do think other series need more love, and the ones that tend to make it into Smash aren't as varied as they could be, particularly with Pokemon (i.e., not looking forward to getting another fire starter, for instance, when there's so much more variety to choose from). As for me, I wasn't upset as I expected the last character to be a disappointment, given how the Fighter's Pass model works, and so that prepared me in advance. And for me, Byleth is probably the best Fire Emblem character to play as--I'm not interested in playing as any of the others again now. And my friend just got Three Houses, so I may try it out and see if I like it.

But those are many reasons--whether you agree with them or not--why people are not a fan of the number of Fire Emblem characters and how they've been implemented.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even then the reason for so much representation by Fire Emblem is due to its cast of characters like how there's a variety of Pokemon who comes with a pool of moveset potential.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Mario and Pokemon are never really questioned when it comes to getting a newcomer or when they both have the most series representation because they are by far the biggest Nintendo franchises in Super Smash Bros by a long shot.

Mario is the face of Nintendo and their flagship franchise, Pokemon is really the only other Nintendo franchise that can rival Mario in terms of sales on a regular basis and has a global impact, popularity and as it has been mention countless times before it's the "Highest grossing media franchise in the world", These reasons alone are why many fans have already accepted why these 2 powerhouses get special treatment and the most representation as it is viewed as "warranted".

Fire Emblem is no where near the level of those 2 juggernauts so when hardcore Smash fans see that a franchise that has only started to gain popularity in recent years and gets that level of representation and special treatment than other bigger Nintendo mainstay series that get lesser priority or the cold shoulder because Nintendo wants to push the series more or because of Sakurai Bias, It really puts a negative spotlight on that franchise.

It also doesn't help that "Most" of the Fire Emblem characters play and look very similarly, Where as Pokemon have way more different looks, aesthetics and have a wide pool of attacks and movesets to work with that really set them apart. Same goes for Mario, But to a lesser extent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom