• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm convinced Steve will be a controversial pick in this community until the day he gets in and people react with "Duh he obviously fits in Smash". It happened with Pac-Man and it will happen to Steve.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

How about Platinum starting a Kickstarter for W101 on multiple systems? Guess they bought the IP from Nintendo.
Seems a questionable move to buy the rights to a bomb only to quite possibly have it bomb again trying to get it off the ground, but godspeed to them. They obviously care about that IP quite a bit. At least they can have the characters cameo in their other projects.

The question is, is W101 content gone from Smash going forward? Looks like it to me, seems like it's not first-party anymore.

Frankly it didn't get enough attention in Smash anyway. Not that I was one of those people who figured Wonder Red would become playable (you don't crash and burn that hard and become playable), but the fact that he was never made an AT, when he would've worked so well, always vexed me.

Edit: Cool thanks a lot image uploader lol

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, if they do re-release it, I hope it'll get the sales it deserves. If it comes out, I'll buy it. I admit to skipping the Wii-U.

D

Deleted member

I’m thinking of leaving this thread now. I don’t wanna get stressed with The Whole Chief vs Steve thing in here. Even if I find things that could make chief likely all I will get is Steve Steve Steve. So yeah. I’ll just be heading to the master Chief thread now.

nothing bad happened just wanna get away from this

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So by the time they finish the second fighters pass we'll be at 81 characters he's something fun they say there gonna keep going till they get to 100 fill in 76 to 100 with whoever you want I want to see what everyone's rosters would look like

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Wonderful 101 was basically an afterthought in Ultimate anyways lol.

In Smash 4, they at least had trophies of all the main Wonderful Ones. In Ultimate all you get is Wonder Red and Wonder Blue as spirits.

The Wonder Red spirit didn't even get an accompanying spirit battle. Ouch.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
A bit off-topic, but is there a problem with the image uploader or is there is a size limit? I'm trying to post a picture, but it keeps saying server error (and yes the picture is on-topic of course).

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
At least they can have the characters cameo in their other projects.
They didn't need to buy the IP for that, it just makes things easier.

Edit: looks like we edited our comments at the same time and smashboards got confused

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They didn't need to buy the IP for that.
Right but it's a lot easier when you don't have to knock on Old Man Nintendo's door and ask for permission to use your own characters.

If it were anything that was going to be a multiplat or exclusive for another system, previously they wouldn't have been able to (unless the cameo was solely the Switch version).

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
How about Platinum starting a Kickstarter for W101 on multiple systems? Guess they bought the IP from Nintendo.
Seems a questionable move to buy the rights to a bomb only to quite possibly have it bomb again trying to get it off the ground, but godspeed to them. They obviously care about that IP quite a bit. At least they can have the characters cameo in their other projects.

The question is, is W101 content gone from Smash going forward? Looks like it to me, seems like it's not first-party anymore.

Frankly it didn't get enough attention in Smash anyway. Not that I was one of those people who figured Wonder Red would become playable (you don't crash and burn that hard and become playable), but the fact that he was never made an AT, when he would've worked so well, always vexed me.
I'm guessing that W101 wasn't "covered"* by the money Platinum got from Tencent, but Platinum still has interest in / ideas for W101. The Tencent money was so that Platinum could start self-publishing according to Plat. They might have used some of the Tencent money to buy the IP rights, but I'm not 100 % sure unless I see proof.

The Spirits probably will not go though - Wonder Red's summoned from Wonder Blue and Drake Redcrest (from Chibi-Robo) so it'd be really difficult to find a workaround for the W101 content.

*[As in, not in the plans when Tencent loaned the money. They might have had other IPs in mind primarily with that investment.]

[Edited in link.]

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wonder Red is no huge loss for me. I don't know much about his game, but I never thought he had much of a chance after Smash 4.

Oh well. At least he has someone who's genuinely interested in his franchise. I think fans would care more about the welfare of the franchise than getting a character in Smash.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm guessing that W101 wasn't "covered" by the money Platinum got from Tencent, but Platinum still has interest in / ideas for W101. The Tencent money was so that Platinum could start self-publishing according to Plat. They might have used some of the Tencent money to buy the IP rights, but I'm not 100 % sure unless I see proof.
Apparently P* did shop the port around to different publishers, and I have to imagine Tencent was one, given their relationship. Seems pretty cruel (not to mention a strange investment) to give them the money to buy the IP back but not to help port it, lol. So I wonder if P* just bought it back themselves.

The Spirits probably will not go though - Wonder Red's summoned from Wonder Blue and Drake Redcrest (from Chibi-Robo) so it'd be really difficult to find a workaround for the W101 content.
Right, I meant going forward, not what was currently there. It doesn't make sense to take out content over this.

Wonder Red is no huge loss for me. I don't know much about his game, but I never thought he had much of a chance after Smash 4.
It was really only resetera that kept talking about him. I guess now it's time for them to put their money where their mouths are. :x

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So by the time they finish the second fighters pass we'll be at 81 characters he's something fun they say there gonna keep going till they get to 100 fill in 76 to 100 with whoever you want I want to see what everyone's rosters would look like
Here we go

76. Crash Bandicoot
77. Doom Slayer
78. Monokuma
79. Phoenix Wright
80. Agumon
81. Kratos
82. Steve
83. Master Chief
84. Rayman
85. Shantae
86. Leon Kennedy
87. Dante
88. Klonoa
89. Spyro
90. Sora
91. Ryu Hayabusa
92. Monster Hunter
93. Scorpion
94. Travis Touchdown
95. Geno
96. Dragonborn
97. Amaterasu
98. Lara Croft
99. Arle Nadja
100. Isaac
This would be a sick list. I'm pretty sure at least 95% of people would be happy with this. But then again it is 100 characters lol. You couldn't complain about it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't know how many people actually abide by the non-echo count. Even Nintendo counts the echoes when the boast about the quantity of the roster.

D

Deleted member

Good morning.

What's going on right now to have more than a couple of users reading this? Debates?

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
So guys I finally made a moveset for Master chief using halo 4’s forge mode on the master chief collection here’s what I came up with.

:GCB:-Assault riffle: acts the same like the ones in the games. To keep the age rating down it would fire like the:ultgunner: side smash and no bullet shells will come out. Mostly it’s like a button holding move and at some point reload
:GCL::GCR::GCB:-Sword lunge: he’ll use the energy sword and thrust in front of the opponent. If it hits the fighter then the battery of the sword will decrease like the ones in the games and once your all out then you can’t replenish the used energy until your ko’d just like :ultbanjokazooie: wonder wing ability. However you can still hit the fighter with the out of battery energy sword but the damage will be tiny.
:GCU::GCB:-Jetpack: it will act like :ultrob: with a gauge on it so nothing special here.
:GCD::GCB:-Grenade: he’ll throw a grenade just like :ultsnake: and holding it down will determine how far you want it to go but if you use this move very close to your opponent then you stick a plasma grenade on them dealing lots of damage.
:disco::GCB:-Warthog Run: Chief will pull out a rocket launcher and he’ll hit how many opponents are caught in it (the max is 3) Flying them off and it will cut to a cinematic where they landed on the ground of installation 04(that’s the stage btw) an chief will come in riding on the front seat of a warthog with marines driving it and he’ll Finish of the final smash with firing the spartan laser at the opponents dealing massive damage Flying them off after it.

:GCX::GCL::GCR::GCA:-plasma riffle

:GCCL::GCCR:-plasma pistol: it will act like :ultmegaman: smash attack

:GCCD:-Gravity Hammer

and the rest I’m thinking will be a few more weapon moves and his physical attacks would act like:ultsnake:.

all right so basically I just gave a legendary piece of gaming history and Xbox’s flagship mascot the master chief a moveset.

what do you think? Doesn’t this look fun?
Your move set is basically borrowed moves from existing characters. Part of what has made the DLC fun is Sakurai adding genuinely new elements

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't know how many people actually abide by the non-echo count. Even Nintendo counts the echoes when the boast about the quantity of the roster.
They count as fighters, but Smash doesn't recognize them as individuals.

You can say either and technically be correct, but I think the whole purpose of the Echo label is because people would hate them if Sakurai didn't present them as something other than an afterthought.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
(FP2 Predictions)
76: Hayabusa
77. Dante
78. Steve (Minecraft)
79. Urshifu (Pokemon)
80. Waluigi
81. Heihachi

(Characters I want)
82. Bandana Dee
83. Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
84. Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
85. X (Megaman)
86. Kamek
87. Phoenix Wright
88. Octolings
89. Frisk
90. Marx (Kirby)
91. Lycanroc/Decidueye/Mr. Rime

(Characters others want)

92. Geno
93. Sora
94. Master Chief
95. Doom Man
96. Crash
97. Scorpion
98. Sol Badguy
99. Issac
100. Lyoid Irving

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I myself count Echo Fighters as part of the roster. If all 16 extra WoL slots are used, Ultimate will have a total of 92 playable characters, counting Echo Fighters.

SKX31

Smash Master
Apparently P* did shop the port around to different publishers, and I have to imagine Tencent was one, given their relationship. Seems pretty cruel (not to mention a strange investment) to give them the money to buy the IP back but not to help port it, lol. So I wonder if P* just bought it back themselves.
Might be, considering that Platinum functionally stays independent and after the investment. Yes, it kinda seems weird and cruel - then again, Tencent is really hands off most of the time. So P* got quite as lot of freedom.

I'm hardcore speculating here, but wouldn't be surprised if the agreement was that P* gets to self-publish console games, while Tencent can use its cloud gaming presence and get the return of its investment. They might get some mobile games out of it too - A Chinese studio is working on a DMC mobile game, so Bayo is possible for example.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They count as fighters, but Smash doesn't recognize them as individuals.

You can say either and technically be correct, but I think the whole purpose of the Echo label is because people would hate them if Sakurai didn't present them as something other than an afterthought.
I know.

The point was it's not going to take 19 characters after pass 2 before most people consider us having reached 100. Just twelve.

You better believe if Nintendo somehow adds another twelve characters after pass two, echo or not, they'll be boasting about an 100-character roster.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
okay uhhhh... assuming ZERO Echoes. If anyone can potentially be an Echo in this list (like P5 Kasumi or Octoling) assume they're a Semi Clone instead
76. Crash Bandicoot
77. Neku Sakuraba
78. Octoling (Spirit Promotion; Octoling Girl and Octoling Boy. Inkling semi clone, uses some different weapons and a different final smash)
79. Elma (Spirit Promotion; Fighter Spirits are XC2 Elma and, if she uses that alt to clear Classic, True Form Elma (made CERO Compliant))
80. Arle Nadja
81. Ryu Hayabusa
82. Mecha-Fiora (Spirit and Final Smash Cameo promotion. I mean if Chrom did it...)
83. Bandana Dee (Spirit Promotion, with a caveat. Bandana Waddle Dee is too long for the CSS so his Smash incarnation is RENAMED Bandana Dee)
84. Adeline
85. Black Shadow (Spirit Promotion; his Spirit will be renamed "Black Shadow (F-Zero GX)")
86. Kasumi Yoshizawa (Joker semi-clone. Yes.)
87. KOS-MOS
88. T-elos (KOS-MOS semi clone)
89. Velvet Crowe (redesigned to be CERO compliant. Comes with the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume)
90. Dovahkiin (with Doom Slayer and Vault Boy Mii Costumes)
91. Ori (lmao that **** ain't ever happening but let me dream)
92. Isaac (first AT Promotion)
93. Spring Man (second and last AT promotion, sorry Waluigi bros, and also sorry Rex bros cause he got an apology with his costume like Spring Man did with his AT but only one made it and it wasn't Rex)
94. Medusa (Palutena semi clone)
95. Dixie Kong (totally unique, nothing from Diddy Kong. gasp it's unheard of!)
96. Impa (also totally unique. based off Skyward Sword. existing Spirit renamed "Impa (Ocarina of Time)")
97. Sylux
98. Phoenix Wright (sorry Dante bros)
99. Shantae
100. BELLA MF GOTH FROM THE SIMS. JUST DO IT.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
76. 2B
77. Steve
78. Arle
79. Dante
80. Travis Touchdown
81. Ryu Hayabusa
82. Porky Minch
83. Phoenix Wright
84. Crash Bandicoot
85. Heihashi
86. Doom slayer
87. Professor Layton
88. Sora
89. Solaire of Astora
90. Spyro
91. Leon Kennedy
92. Rayman
93. Jinbayan
94. Scorpion
95. Master chief
96. Geno
97. Monster hunter
98. Monokuma
99. Lloyd
100. Rhythm heaven rep

This list is a mix of my most wanted and prediction or popular request because I don't have that many most wanted so I couldn't go to 100 with most wanted only.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Some of Minecraft’s music could fit battle, such as Aria Math or Blind Spots (at least, I think they could fit a bit). There’s also battle music, which the console editions used in minigames. Even the main themes/the other calm music in the main game could get remixes, just like Pikmin and Animal Crossing.
I agree. I've heard a few Minecraft remixes that are fun, upbeat, and catchy, and they could easily fit into Smash.

Sweden is my favorite song from the game, and this remix by Caution & Crisis is an absolute jam.

The Caution & Crisis remix of Cat is a ton of fun, too. I think it shows how well this song would suit Smash if remixed the right way.

I think it's painfully ironic that Minecraft helped get Banjo in Smash, not Steve.

I know that's what the fans wanted, but I feel bad for Steve supporters.
Hey, it's not over yet. You can feel bad for us if Sakurai ever says he will never include Minecraft content in Smash.

I'm just thrilled that Banjo & Kazooie are in. In the years after Minecraft's release on Wii U, and especially when Steve was so heavily rumoured to be in Ultimate, I remained hopeful that Minecraft would somehow help open the door to Banjo-Kazooie returning to Nintendo platforms in some form or another.
Now it turns out that hope was not misplaced!
I hope to see Nintendo and Microsoft continue to collaborate more and more. I think Microsoft has begun to view Nintendo Switch as an opportunity to sell more games rather than as competition for Xbox.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Your move set is basically borrowed moves from existing characters. Part of what has made the DLC fun is Sakurai adding genuinely new elements
Not gonna lie, A lot of the DLC characters borrow moves and animations from other characters. I'm sure it makes development a bit easier. To give a recent example, Byleth's Down B is literally Hatchet Man from Hero.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
76. Dixie Kong
77. Impa
78. Sora (Roxas echo)
79. Phoenix Wright (Apollo Justice echo)
80. Chun-Li
81. Lloyd Irving
82. Rex & Pyra/Mythra or Mecha-Fiora or Elma
83. Geno
84. Octoling
85. Chris Redfield/Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy/Claire Redfield (ala Hero)
86. Lara Croft
86. Arle
87. Shantae
88. Crash
89. Isaac
90. Krystal
91. Andy/Sami/Max (ala Pokemon Trainer)
92. Rhythm Heaven Rep
93. Lyn
94. Ashley
95. Spring Man (Ribbon Girl echo)
96. Reimu
97. Professor Layton
98. Shadow
99. KOS-MOS
100. Waluigi

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I really doubt this whole Wonderful 101 story is true, but if it is, that's too bad. I would have really liked Wonder Red to get in Smash, but there's no chance if he's a third party.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
As many FE characters Smash can fit

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh? Don't mind if I do!

76. Crono
77. Axel Stone
78. Klonoa
79. Crash Bandicoot
80. Doom Guy
81. Travis Touchdown
82. Geno
83. Maxim (Lufia II)
84. Miles "Tails" Prower
85. Tomba
86. Daniel Fortesque
87. Blaze Fielding
88. Dr. Robotnik
89. Isaac (Golden Sun)
90. James Sunderland
91. Sora
92. Alexandra Roivas
93. Master Chief
94. Robo (Chrono Trigger)
95. Phoenix Wright
96. Dante
97. Arthur (Ghouls n Ghosts)
98. Decidueye
99. Frank West
100. SGT. CORTEZ! Time to Split!

Never mind... images are broken...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
76. Kyo Kusanagi
77. Iori Yagami
78. Crash Bandicoot
79. Quote
80. Rex
81. Waluigi
82. Ashley
83. Shantae
84. Heavy
85. Lyn
86. Andy (Advance Wars)
87. Dixie Kong
88. Bomberman
89. Lara Croft
90. Arle Nadja
91. 2B
92. Zelda (BotW)
93. Frank West
94. Chun-Li
95. Alex (Street Fighter)
96. Hat Kid
97. Toad
98. Pauline
99. Paper Mario
100. Celica

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I'm convinced Steve will be a controversial pick in this community until the day he gets in and people react with "Duh he obviously fits in Smash". It happened with Pac-Man and it will happen to Steve.
I still can’t believe that so many people were opposed to Pac-Man, like he was in Mario Kart and had a game where literally Mario was the announcer and people still thought he didn’t belong. Reading the comments on his initial Smash 4 announcement on Twitter are absolutely baffling to me.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I still can’t believe that so many people were opposed to Pac-Man, like he was in Mario Kart and had a game where literally Mario was the announcer and people still thought he didn’t belong. Reading the comments on his initial Smash 4 announcement on Twitter are absolutely baffling to me.
Sad too. Though some of it is moveset-related issues. Many can't decide on how he should play, Sakurai included as it turns out.

You have tons of games he can get moves from, but with the later game design that got re-used for Ghostly Adventures(which to be fair, was a hated design, and will get some people who don't want him in cause of that alone), you also are going to get some controversy.

At the very least, we have enough oddball movesets that the only issue with Steve at this point is how they're going to implement his crafting. There's proper animations for limbs, there's enough weapons to think of a moveset alone, there's enough skins for alts as is, there's no lack in iconic power or how well he'd sell(which would be amazingly high as is). Licensing shouldn't be too difficult since Minecraft is quite literally a key part of why Banjo could get in.

The only other reason he might not get in beyond having a moveset issue is Nintendo doesn't actually bring him up to Sakurai, since they're choosing the DLC characters for the last(or possibly last) 6.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I was opposed to Pac-man before he was revealed, mainly because I thought he was going to get his ghostly adventures design, which is ugly.
BB0C895F-1C61-4C0A-9188-D1F03EFE211B.jpeg

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
93. Frank West
Finally. Somebody brought up Frank West. He is not even in my top 20 or even 30 most wanted list, but he would be cool. I imagine him putting on that yellow lego hat and using his side B to ram a cart full of sharp tools into his opponents, as well as throwing zombies. Imagine Frank West throwing a zombie at Isabelle. That is so weird, yet we've had weirder stuff happen like Joker being able to shoot with a literal gun at Isabelle or Duck Hunt beating up Ridley. This game is so weird when you really think about it...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I still think Halo and Minecraft are too big for Smash. Licensing anything from them would be expensive and difficult without their explicit cooperation, and not worth the effort when you could license companies far closer to home that are way less difficult and still get about the same profits from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom