• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
so what your saying that her getting
-trigger to do the opening for ss
-3 charigummni figures
-a funko pop
-a tokatu
Makes her some random indie character?

this seems more of leaning out from obscurity
I think the thing here is that she's more popular in Japan than anywhere else. So she would come across as a literally who to a lot of people despite being a western character.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
this is my new favourite fake leak because it proves conclusively beyond a shadow of a reasonable doubt that baboom win

1578010813280.png

D

Deleted member

I think the thing here is that she's more popular in Japan than anywhere else. So she would come across as a literally who to a lot of people despite being a western character.
Tbf
Shovel knight is more popular in the US but a literal who in Japan

unless I’m wrong and I’m missing something here

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Tbf

unless I’m wrong and I’m missing something here
The got the game pretty late and from what I've heard could be wrong they weren't that interested

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
CJ, Claude, a Lemming or Jimmy Hopkins seem like top candidates if we ever got one.
Oof well it looks like CJ may have just been officially deconfirmed:

https://screenrant.com/gta-6-rumor-cj-san-andreas-shot-down-rockstar/ (pics in link contain swearing)

Today the voice of CJ said that he hates RockStar Games and posted a bunch of other comments about the company that would get me in trouble if I posted them here. I doubt RockStar will ever reach out to him in the future and will probably just ostracize CJ like they did with Niko after his VA trashed RockStar years earlier. I thought CJ had like a 0.000001% chance of happening anyway but after this his chances are pretty much nothing now.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

https://screenrant.com/gta-6-rumor-cj-san-andreas-shot-down-rockstar/ (pics in link contain swearing)

Today the voice of CJ said that he hates RockStar Games and posted a bunch of other comments about the company that would get me in trouble if I posted them here. I doubt RockStar will ever reach out to him in the future and will probably just ostracize CJ like they did with Niko after his VA trashed RockStar years earlier. I thought CJ had like a 0.000001% chance of happening anyway but after this his chances are pretty much nothing now.
Damn, that's a shame... I know he never would get into Smash but I was hoping we could get more San Andreas stuff in general in gaming, CJ is my favorite.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

He really should have followed that damn train. :troll:

jokes aside, apparently his VO isn't the only one who's had problems with Rockstar. I wonder why

KatKit

Smash Lord
This is my first forum post of the year, so I wanna try something new. So... I usually participate in those fun little lists we make, but I never came up with a game of my own, and I kinda wanna try that.

I think one way to get folks hyped about characters is their movesets. So, I want to see if y'all can answer any (or all) of these, and I will try to provide detailed concepts for the one response that I like the most (bonus points if I pull this off before FP5's announcement). I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain it more eloquently.

List a character that:

1. You absolutely can't come up with a moveset for, even if ya tried. The wackier, the better.

2. You like that ya probably could make a moveset for, but don't feel like doing it (but you wouldn't mind reading about it)

3. A character you think deserves more awareness

4. You have little to no attachment to, but think they would be dope conceptually

This includes side characters and 4th party characters. Again... you don't have to answer every one, but it might help your odds. I'll provide a detailed concept for the one list I like most. If ya don't win, don't feel left out though! All participants will receive an internet hug in the form of one like. :052:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty strange if you ask me. Then again, GTA in Smash would be VERY WEIRD in my personal opinion. Not that it's bad though.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Rockstar being an awful studio?
Next you'll tell me the Earth is round and that Baboom wins.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Here's another set of challenges! You get to pick the 5 next characters of Fighter's Pass 2. It doesn't matter who they are or what role they presently have in Smash, assuming they're from a video game. But, they have to have the following gameplay conditions.
  1. The first character has to be heavier than Bowser. (135 is the weight to beat, unless tied.) Ties are acceptable.
  2. The second character has to be lighter than Pichu. (Can't be higher than 61, except to tie.) Ties are acceptable.
  3. The third character has to have an overarching gimmick that defines their playstyle. (Something like Arsene.)
  4. The fourth character has to have no major gimmicks, being relatively straightforward. (Kinda like Mario.)
  5. The final character has to be able to spawn an item or an item-like entity.
My picks would be... Ganon (tying), Paper Mario (also tying), Arle Nadja (chain gimmick), Shovel Knight, and Crash Bandicoot (crates).

1. Guzzlord- Pokemon
2. Jr Lioner- MapleStory
3. M.Slayer- Dungeon Fighter Online
4. Hyde- Under Night In Birth
5. Rachel Alucard- Blazblue

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Here's another set of challenges! You get to pick the 5 next characters of Fighter's Pass 2. It doesn't matter who they are or what role they presently have in Smash, assuming they're from a video game. But, they have to have the following gameplay conditions.
  1. The first character has to be heavier than Bowser. (135 is the weight to beat, unless tied.) Ties are acceptable.
  2. The second character has to be lighter than Pichu. (Can't be higher than 61, except to tie.) Ties are acceptable.
  3. The third character has to have an overarching gimmick that defines their playstyle. (Something like Arsene.)
  4. The fourth character has to have no major gimmicks, being relatively straightforward. (Kinda like Mario.)
My picks would be... Ganon (tying), Paper Mario (also tying), Arle Nadja (chain gimmick), Shovel Knight, and Crash Bandicoot (crates).
1. Knighmare or Siegfried from SolCal

2. Talim from SolCal

3. Dart or Rose from Legend of Dragoon. (Each attack builds up Spirit Points and once they hit max, they can change into their dragoon form)

4. 2B (if she's not FP5. If she is...)/Edelgard/Byelth

5. Estelle from Tales of Vesperia (can summon hammers for her arte "pow hammer")

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I think the whole “indie rep” thing is misguided, anyway. I really doubt Sakurai would think “I want to have a character from a non-major publisher” and work backwards from there. It seems like it’s the fans that want an indie rep to prove that indie characters can “make it,” which I get, but isn’t really how Sakurai approaches Smash.
It's the same way people treat things like "Capcom Rep" or "Sega rep", but instead of one company it's all tossed under one moniker due to their shared status in the industry. Personally, I think it's inevitable that an indie will be playable at some point in the future (not necessarily for Ultimate) just due to how much of an impact indies are making on the industry. Just like every other character in the game wasn't picked because they rep X company an indie won't be picked because they rep indies.

I don't like any indie character being given the moniker of "King -" or "Queen of Indie Games".

I don't think any indie character that would theoretically get in Smash should be there to represent all indie games. It's a disservice to any other indie game whose protagonist didn't get to be playable, and some weird people may even be against further indie characters becoming playable because "we already have the King / Queen of Indie Reps".

I think it would be miraculous and celebratory to see a full on playable character from an indie game, and I have my own wants. But no, they wouldn't stand in for all indie games ever, nor should they.
Hell, this is already happening in the reverse. "If Shovel Knight/Sans/Shantae couldn't get in what hope does [X Indie] Have?"

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If we got an indie rep it wouldn’t feel right to not represent a whole bunch of games imo. Give it the SNK music treatment. So even if the playable character is from Touhou or Shovel Knight there’s still music and cameos from dozens of other franchises.

probably a licensing nightmare though

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I love how this thread literally just had a debate about Assist Throphies and how they also ment to be representation, despite how much hardcore fans don't care for them
Those fans are idiots. Having an AT is halfway to being playable.

Shovel Knight is not a literal who in Japan.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
This is my first forum post of the year, so I wanna try something new. So... I usually participate in those fun little lists we make, but I never came up with a game of my own, and I kinda wanna try that.

I think one way to get folks hyped about characters is their movesets. So, I want to see if y'all can answer any (or all) of these, and I will try to provide detailed concepts for the one response that I like the most (bonus points if I pull this off before FP5's announcement). I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try to explain it more eloquently.

List a character that:

1. You absolutely can't come up with a moveset for, even if ya tried. The wackier, the better.

2. You like that ya probably could make a moveset for, but don't feel like doing it (but you wouldn't mind reading about it)

4. You have little to no attachment to, but think they would be dope conceptually

This includes side characters and 4th party characters. Again... you don't have to answer every one, but it might help your odds. I'll provide a detailed concept for the one list I like most. If ya don't win, don't feel left out though! All participants will receive an internet hug in the form of one like. :052:
In regard to Question 1, that’s actually pretty restrictive, since it is quite easy to devise a moveset for basically anything, even if it is extremely bland. Does it have anything resembling limbs? Punches and/or kicks. Otherwise, use a bunch of spins and whatnot to compensate (i.e. SSF2 Sandbag.) Scale too extreme? Rescale it (even if it would be silly to do so; you asked what could get a moveset, not what should get a moveset.)

Therefore, I think the only things that really could be said to have zero moveset potential are completely noncorporeal characters, I.e. narrators in works of fiction where they have nothing resembling an in-universe form since, even if they have attacks, they have no physical presence in the stage that can be attacked and KO’ed, so they wouldn’t work as playable characters (although they could be stage hazards or ATs.)

...Then again, if you allow extreme reinterpretations, these kinds of characters could be given a physical personification, either based on what one would imagine them to look like, or by simply just depicting them as their actual VA’s.

Is there anything I haven’t covered?

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
  1. Porky Minch in spider mech, of course. (tying)
  2. Paper Mario (I tried, I couldn't come up with any others)
  3. Uniracer can do stunt combos increasing its speed if you don't stop moving. Each move is a different stunt. (Its down special would unleash the built-up speed in one attack with plenty of lag.)
  4. Geno. He's pretty simple.
  5. Steve can build some things, of course.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You know what makes me sad? That I legitimetely can’t support one of my past favorite development studios to be in Smash because a) they shun Nintendo, 2) they have been lately producing hype but zero substance and 3) they kill their best series.

Yes, I’m talking to you BioWare. You managed to make so many of my favorite series yet managed to kill each one and then make nice looking but lackluster crud. You even created my most favorite character ever and who continually graves my profile pics for like six years straight. Seriously, it’s a ritual for me to play through ME and DA.

How did you manage to **** up both Andromeda and Anthem? I worry for Dragon Age 4. I wish I could support your content for Smash but not even in my wildest dreams would I.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

List a character that:

I'll play.

1. Akira Howard. I have no clue how the hell to incorporate the Legion into their moveset considering how you can pretty much control it freely in-game.

2. Sora. Dude actually has too much to work with, but I feel I could make movesets based on his different iterations. Honorable mention to 2B, who also has a lot to work with but is manageable if I think hard enough.

3. Style Savvy Stylist. Unironically one of the best first party choices and it's a crime that so little people know this.

4. Travis Touchdown. I have yet to get to the No More Heroes games (and it'll probably be a long while until I do), but the dude exudes style en masse.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
1) Wailord

2) Navi

3) Bella Goth (from the Sims. Can access build mode to build objects which all have unique properties. She also gains money while fighting which allows her to purchase items that deal more damage. Finally, she has emotions where, if she does well, she is happy and deals more damage. Finally, she can access Achievement Rewards to gain stat boosts. There are three active at time

4) Paperboy (rides his bike and throws papers)

5) Besides Bella Goth, I will choose Pete from Harvest Moon. He can grow vegetables and hurl them. Probably summon livestock and chickens too

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
You know what makes me sad? That I legitimetely can’t support one of my past favorite development studios to be in Smash because a) they shun Nintendo, 2) they have been lately producing hype but zero substance and 3) they kill their best series.

Yes, I’m talking to you BioWare. You managed to make so many of my favorite series yet managed to kill each one and then make nice looking but lackluster crud. You even created my most favorite character ever and who continually graves my profile pics for like six years straight. Seriously, it’s a ritual for me to play through ME and DA.

How did you manage to **** up both Andromeda and Anthem? I worry for Dragon Age 4. I wish I could support your content for Smash but not even in my wildest dreams would I.
Spent all their BioWare "magic" and ran dry eventually. Thankfully, they are still alive and didn't end up on EA's chopping block.... yet.

Its sad but my guess is that its a mixture of bad management, relying on past success to carry them through and EA, trying to steer them in more profitable directions. BioWare was one of my favorite developers back then but times change.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
broke: fp5 reveal at january nintendo direct
woke: miku smash reveal at coachella

I love that this is the official Miku twitter. lol

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
List a character that:

1. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean. I really want them, but it's hard to imagine a full fighting moveset from their basic run n' gun gameplay.
2. Kunio. He's got too MANY moves as of Tokyo Rumble and Rival Showdown, and I can't narrow it down.
3. Kunio.
4. SV-001 Metal Slug. I like the IDEA of a little playable tank more than I do any of the characters that would be driving it.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Oh boy. More lists to make while procrastinating Nier: Automata's prologue on hard mode.

1. Nightmare from Soul Calibur, who ties with Bowser and is an actual heavyweight swordfighter.
2. Lip, added to promote an attempt to revitalize Panel de Pon as a Nintendo Switch Online exclusive like Tetris 99, and who has 5 jumps and a weight of 60
3. 2B, who's gimmick revolves around changing weapons, which in turn changes her neutrals and specials. You can change weapons mid-combo to mix and match.
4. Crash Bandicoot, who would pretty much be Banjo 2 anyways.
5. Master Chief, who has plasma grenades.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

List a character that:

1. Hatsune Miku (Nothing against her, I just don't know **** about Vocaloid or what she'd be able to do)
2. Tony Hawk (I had a few ideas rolling around in my head, but I'm too lazy to commit to making a full moveset)
3. Frogger (I have a soft spot for old arcade games and weird niche choices, and Frogger just so happens to fit into both)
4. Ezio (Not an Assassin's Creed fan outside of Black Flag, but I think an assassin would make for a super fun and unique playstyle)

Droodle

Smash Lord
Personally I like Sakurai choosing all the characters in Smash, and I'm glad that 99% of the people on these types of forums don't choose the characters. The reason is that I feel as though many people on here would only choose the biggest/most popular characters rather than Sakurai's methodology of mixing in both popular and unpopular (but still important) franchises in Smash.

Like, I would LOVE a fighter pass filled with Sora, Dante, 2B, Doomguy, and Crash; but it would kind of get stale expecting only expecting "big" characters in Smash. Thankfully, I feel as though Sakurai will continue mixing together fan-favorites (kinda like Banjo), currently popular series/characters (similar to Joker), and characters/series that may not be all that well known but have a big legacy.

So since a direct dropping in soon is a possibility, here are my predictions (not a wishlist), of who could possibly coming in the next fighter pass (assuming that it's a fighter pass to begin with). Overall, I think they'll follow through with similar kinds of characters compared to this pass (why change what ain't broke).

1. They'll start off with a character with pretty big popularity (financially it makes the most sense). I think that the most likely candidates here are characters like 2B, Dante, Sora, Crash, etc. This will be the second reveal in the current direct.

2/3. At E3, they'll do a dual reveal featuring a fan-favorite character (possibly a promotion like Waluigi) and a character that has a big legacy, but may not be THAT requested. I think Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden is likely to be this character, however, it could be someone else like Professor Layton, or maybe even a Reimu.

4. They'll follow the footsteps of Terry and showcase a character that may not be that big, or have that well known of a series; but may belong to a series with some legacy (similar to FF/KoF); these are the types of characters that not a lot of people are predicting. I think characters like Monokuma from Danganronpa, Adol Christin from Ys, Laharl from Disgaea, Estelle/Rean from The Legend of Heroes, Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes, Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, and Ragna the BloodEdge from Blazblue.

I know that there are some people that are predicting/have these characters on their wishlist, but these characters aren't all that well known to the majority of the Smash audience/general gaming audience; I guess Adol has the biggest legacy of these characters, and Monokuma is the most popular one in terms of recognizability outside of Japan. Inside Japan, most of these series seem to do similar numbers to each other; which is why I put each of them in this position. The exception to this is Travis Touchdown (NMH isn't anywhere as popular as the rest of these series in terms of sales), but Nintendo seems to heavily pushing NMH so Travis gets points for that.

5. I have no clue, because there is no one to go of off yet. Consider this a wildcard; I'll just put Neku from The World Ends With You here, because that is my personal pick.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

List a character that:

1. Blipbug

2. Phoenix Wright. I feel like he have a lot of moveset potential,but he use so much object and clue in his game that it's hard for me to say which one would be in his moveset and not.

3. Style savvy rep. I didn't even played Style savvy, but I'm surprised that there's not a lot of talk about a character from this franchise in Smash when you compare it to other first party franchise with no character.

4. Monokuma. Never played that game either, but I love Danganronpa's style and it would be pretty cool to see how he would fight. Also I love the idea of playing as the main antagonist of a franchise. Also despite the fact that he come from a very mature game, he looks very cartoony so he would fit very well in Smash I think.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I honestly think it's silly to for example say any character, in this case Shantae, is unlikely when I've seen people seriously suggest that characters like Augumon or Kratos are not only likely but possibly even imminent.

As a Shantae supporter it's dishearting that the majority of the fandom seems to have it out for her. Sorry for being Off topic but I was lurking and just felt like saying my peace.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

While this does suck, at least there's another San Andreas character who can fill our hearts.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally I like Sakurai choosing all the characters in Smash, and I'm glad that 99% of the people on these types of forums don't choose the characters. The reason is that I feel as though many people on here would only choose the biggest/most popular characters rather than Sakurai's methodology of mixing in both popular and unpopular (but still important) franchises in Smash.

Like, I would LOVE a fighter pass filled with Sora, Dante, 2B, Doomguy, and Crash; but it would kind of get stale expecting only expecting "big" characters in Smash. Thankfully, I feel as though Sakurai will continue mixing together fan-favorites (kinda like Banjo), currently popular series/characters (similar to Joker), and characters/series that may not be all that well known but have a big legacy.
The worst part is that Crash went from being seen by many as "too unlikely to be worth talking about" to being seen as "too stale due to how many people are talking about him" within the span of less than two years.

Crash isn't the only case of this, mind you, but I do think people need to keep in mind the timespan we're working with here. Some characters didn't pick up steam until after Ultimate was announced, so I don't think their popularity is making their talk excessive yet.

D

Deleted member

I’m surprised to see master chief hasn’t been deconfirmed yet while saving saying 5 is from one he listed in his old decofirmation list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom